• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Platinum?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
LME is owned by the Chinese. They are draining physical metal inventories and collecting a vig at the same time.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
LME is owned by the Chinese. They are draining physical metal inventories and collecting a vig at the same time.

Well they were bought by the Chinese. I don't know how long ago. It was previously known that the Chinese had big problems with fabricating / rehypothecating their "warehouses" of commodities. I'm sure they were just running an even larger scam.

Tecumseh

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
If Platinum Group Metals (PLG) can ever get the Waterberg project off the ground.... look out.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
^^^^☆☆☆☆☆^^^^

If the chinks ever put out an honest product there would be demand as never seen before, but they can't because they won't. It's not in their nature.

I know Americans, Canadians, Cubans who will push a con over an honest deal even if the $ outcome was the same. They are simply dysfunctional. *See also US Government.

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
If Platinum Group Metals (PLG) can ever get the Waterberg project off the ground.... look out.
Interesting company. Approximately 80 million Shares FD as of Nov 21 (Q1) Tough location SA.

Was a 40 dollar number in 2016.

Tecumseh

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Interesting company. Approximately 80 million Shares FD as of Nov 21 (Q1) Tough location SA.

Was a 40 dollar number in 2016.
I think there will be more dilution for them to get their project going. Not a ton of cash on the books right now.

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yes I agree Tecumseh, They will have to finance the Project.

I downloaded the OCT 2019 NI43-101. Looks impressive.

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Whats a vig?

vig

1)the interest payment on a loan paid back to the creditor by a certain percent.
2)short for "vigorish" used in gambling;When wagering on a straight wager (point spread or total), you lay a certain amount of money to win a smaller amount of money. The difference between what is wagered and what is won is called the 'Juice' or 'VIG'. This 'Juice' or 'VIG' is one of the ways a sports book makes its money. In football and basketball the 'Juice' (or 'VIG') is 10%. In other words, for every $110 wagered you will win $100. If you lose the wager, you lose $110. If you win the wager, you get the $110 'Juice' refunded to you, plus the $100 in winnings ($110 + $100 = $210 total paid back to your account).
1)joe, "Lucky Hands wants one over prime".
tony, "what?".
joe, "he wants 1 point over the vig"
2)joe, "i wonder what the vig is for the jay hawks, huskers game?"
vito, "10%"

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has noticed but Platinum appears to be waking up. Need to breakout and close about $1,000. Easily seen resistance here.

1654186556974.png

I like that it appears to be outperforming Palladium now. Perhaps car makers have switched over or will soon.

1654186633929.png

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has noticed but Platinum appears to be waking up. Need to breakout and close about $1,000. Easily seen resistance here.

View attachment 262147

I like that it appears to be outperforming Palladium now. Perhaps car makers have switched over or will soon.

View attachment 262148
Thanks for pointing out the move.......i have been only looking at the metals markets in passing lately as seasonally they typically are pretty blah during the summer months and i get focused on spring farm stuff

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish it would plunge to $800.

Metalophile

Reaction score
I have a few shares of PPLT in an IRA account I was thinking of selling today. I know, I know, paper PMs can't be trusted, but in my IRA where I'm stuck with paper for a while, I have been trading on the ups and downs. I think too many folks are hoping for a soft landing and the economy to keep going OK. I think they will be disappointed in the not too distant future. Maybe I'll sell just half.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Best price to buy physical is < $940 oz. When 1oz. are $1030 & 1/10s are < $125 are good buying points. Depending on how much and fast interest rates rise will determine the price. If you have paper ride the price up, but get ready to take profits before the next down cycle.

Bottom Feeder

Useless Eater
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Liquid Platinum at Room Temperature
SciTechDaily

Scientists in Australia have been able to use trace amounts of liquid platinum to create cheap and highly efficient chemical reactions at low temperatures, opening a pathway to dramatic emissions reductions in crucial industries.

When combined with liquid gallium, the amounts of platinum required are small enough to significantly extend the earth’s reserves of this valuable metal.

Normally, the melting point for platinum is 1,768°C (3,215°F). ...combined the platinum with liquid gallium, which has a melting point of just 29.8°C – that’s room temperature on a hot day. When combined with gallium, the platinum becomes soluble. In other words, it melts, and without firing up a hugely powerful industrial furnace.

...because it’s a liquid-based system, it’s also more reliable. Solid-state catalytic systems eventually clog up and stop working. That’s not a problem here. Like a water feature with a built-in fountain, the liquid mechanism constantly refreshes itself, self-regulating its effectiveness over a long period of time and avoiding the catalytic equivalent of pond scum building up on the surface

==============================
So platinum may once again rise in price to the level of gold.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Liquid Platinum at Room Temperature
SciTechDaily

Scientists in Australia have been able to use trace amounts of liquid platinum to create cheap and highly efficient chemical reactions at low temperatures, opening a pathway to dramatic emissions reductions in crucial industries.

When combined with liquid gallium, the amounts of platinum required are small enough to significantly extend the earth’s reserves of this valuable metal.

Normally, the melting point for platinum is 1,768°C (3,215°F). ...combined the platinum with liquid gallium, which has a melting point of just 29.8°C – that’s room temperature on a hot day. When combined with gallium, the platinum becomes soluble. In other words, it melts, and without firing up a hugely powerful industrial furnace.

...because it’s a liquid-based system, it’s also more reliable. Solid-state catalytic systems eventually clog up and stop working. That’s not a problem here. Like a water feature with a built-in fountain, the liquid mechanism constantly refreshes itself, self-regulating its effectiveness over a long period of time and avoiding the catalytic equivalent of pond scum building up on the surface

==============================
So platinum may once again rise in price to the level of gold.

Ok, this isn't really correct..."When combined with gallium, the platinum becomes soluble. In other words, it melts"

It didn't melt, they should have stuck with the first statement. It's just in solution like dissolving salt in water might be. I don't really know that is what happens because I haven't looked at the phase diagram or this system. Plus I cannot see liquid catalysts being easier to deal with than solid Pt. Unless maybe the solid is really a mesh and that will get plugged up.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
They have created gold too. Too bad it costs millions for a speck.

ds_mustang

Libertarian, Capitalist, Software guy
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
They have created gold too. Too bad it costs millions for a speck.
I thought it was impossible to create an element. Though I guess you could assemble the atoms...

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I thought it was impossible to create an element. Though I guess you could assemble the atoms...

Oh no, all nuclear reactions can change elements. Some do and some don't. That's how you get the heavier elements after all in energetic reactions.

Basically if you add or lose protons the element changes.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Au to Pt 1.96/1

Jodster

Always wrong
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
We are now at 2/1. Hard not to look at platinum as a buy at these levels...
After listening to a few different podcasts, I wouldn't exactly say it's buy time. Thoughts are that en economic slowdown will decrease consumer goods, thereby lessening the demand for industrial metals, at least temporarily.
tread lightly my friend.

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
We are now at 2/1. Hard not to look at platinum as a buy at these levels...

Physical is not 2 to 1, but it's still a good buy. If you can buy platinum coins < $1k it's a bargain. Best price I have seen lately is $1026 for a 1oz. Brit.

Mujahid

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Oh no, all nuclear reactions can change elements. Some do and some don't. That's how you get the heavier elements after all in energetic reactions.

Basically if you add or lose protons the element changes.

Some point in the future if humans are still here and we have mastered Dyson spheres, bullion will be almost worthless.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Some point in the future if humans are still here and we have mastered Dyson spheres, bullion will be almost worthless.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that... Even with an infinite amount of energy inputs you still have limited specific paths to get to each element. Plus, many of these new elements are not going to be stable isotopes and may be very radioactive. I think these very rare and heavy elements like Platinum will still have very good uses and value.

In the short term it could certainly see some issues, especially with diesel trucking potentially shutting down. But you may just not be able to get it anymore and I would just get what you can/want now. Who cares if you don't get the low, that won't matter in the future.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
An interesting article. As usual in real science. We don't really know how all the gold was even formed yet.

"This was a surprise. It looks like spinning supernovae with strong magnetic fields are the real source of most of these elements."

1656125524299.png

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yeah, and some time in the future when frogs have wings they won't bump their ass.
Don't hold your breath.

Mujahid

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure about that... Even with an infinite amount of energy inputs you still have limited specific paths to get to each element. Plus, many of these new elements are not going to be stable isotopes and may be very radioactive. I think these very rare and heavy elements like Platinum will still have very good uses and value.
Yeah, and some time in the future when frogs have wings they won't bump their ass.
Don't hold your breath.

We will definitely all be dead of old age by that point where we master it and can do it cheaply.

This is probably hundreds of years away.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Under $900 FRN's as of this post...

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Physical 1 oz. sovereign coins < $1050 in buying range. When the 1/10ths are < $120 buy buy buy.

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Physical 1 oz. sovereign coins < $1050 in buying range. When the 1/10ths are < $120 buy buy buy.
perth kooks are going for 140. too high?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
$140 is too high. The units below are good. I bought some from SD already.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Not sure what's good about 1/10 oz platinum. Platinum should be bought with the intent of converting to silver or gold.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
When Russia and South Africa demand gold in payment for platinum watch the price go up fast.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
just cant seem to get physical platinum under 1k ....even with spot at $870 ......nobody is selling into the market

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
SD Bullion

I think we are going to see some massive price drops in PMs very soon. The question is will be able to get metals when it happens? That price on platinum is very tempting.

mnmom

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I think we are going to see some massive price drops in PMs very soon. The question is will be able to get metals when it happens? That price on platinum is very tempting.
Interested in why you're thinking this way?

FoundingFathers

Founder
Founding Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I've been watching platinum and agree it seems incredibly cheap. Here is the "fundamental" reasons it has fallen out of favor (sorry if this was already covered);

Palladium is now used over Platinum in Catalytic Convertors - yes Palladium is now more expensive so why don't they switch back to Platinum?
First reason is they invested a ton of money in the infrastructure to use Palladium and "they" won't invest to go back to Platinum - at least not yet and besides, electric cars don't need convertors.

Sources of Palladium overall are in less politically volatile locations.

Platinum was never able to establish itself as a monetary metal and it's appeal as jewelry has recently diminished.

Having said all that, platinum still has many industrial uses and jewelry fashion comes and goes. The price very much seems to have more than discounted all of the above. Technically the charts are still in a downtrend but the next breakout to the upside could be the start of a multi-year bull market where I could see platinum outperform the other precious metals.