• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Platinum?

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Interested in why you're thinking this way?
If we look at other crashes there can be brief periods of massive deflation on all assets. When the panic starts everyone will be selling everything including paper gold and silver. It can only go so low because of production costs so the gap between paper and physical may be even more exaggerated. Still I think we will see a buying opportunity soon. When and if gold and silver finally launch to the moon it will be when investors realize it is the only safe haven through the crash. I suspect at some point they will figure out the stock market is not coming back like it has the last 10 years. Although I am suspicious we may see one more round of QE where the Fed throws everything they got left to try and say they did something before TSHTF. This is all just theory but in my mind it makes sense. LOL

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I've been watching platinum and agree it seems incredibly cheap. Here is the "fundamental" reasons it has fallen out of favor (sorry if this was already covered);

Palladium is now used over Platinum in Catalytic Convertors - yes Palladium is now more expensive so why don't they switch back to Platinum?
First reason is they invested a ton of money in the infrastructure to use Palladium and "they" won't invest to go back to Platinum - at least not yet and besides, electric cars don't need convertors.

Sources of Palladium overall are in less politically volatile locations.

Platinum was never able to establish itself as a monetary metal and it's appeal as jewelry has recently diminished.

Having said all that, platinum still has many industrial uses and jewelry fashion comes and goes. The price very much seems to have more than discounted all of the above. Technically the charts are still in a downtrend but the next breakout to the upside could be the start of a multi-year bull market where I could see platinum outperform the other precious metals.
I grew up in the era where platinum was the standard for fine jewelry. It was considered the most precious metal.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I grew up in the era where platinum was the standard for fine jewelry. It was considered the most precious metal.

From a material standpoint only it is the Best metal for jewelry. As for the aesthetics, well that will probably come and go but you can never go wrong with the best.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
It has really only been about the last 12 years or so where platinum has been out of line price wise relative to gold. People have short term memory problems. This is not a new normal. It is opportunity. Buy platinum.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Premium on gold, lower than the premium on Platinum. I think that Platinum makes a comeback at some point, not sure long you have to hang on to make it worth your while.

If I had 100K sitting around collecting dust, I'd go 40K Au, 40K Pt, 20k hookers and blow full GIM2 style.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This was cut and paste from a yahoo comment so don't place much weight. But I'm sure the commies are trying to squeeze out Russia

"From someone who works in the industry, I can confirm that contracts with Russian suppliers will not be renewed, starting 2023, when they expire. Goodbye Russian palladium and platinum"

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Platinum bounced off the low $800s just like gold bounced off $1690s. Those seem like short term floors.

BOLD had Brits & Tudors for $920 oz. just beautiful coins. DYODD

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
It has really only been about the last 12 years or so where platinum has been out of line price wise relative to gold. People have short term memory problems. This is not a new normal. It is opportunity. Buy platinum.
Generally agree. As the automotive industry retools from Pd to Pt for emission control systems because Pt is cheaper there will be increased demand for Pt and decreased demand for Pd going forward. There are also rumors that Pt producers and refiners aren't profitable at sub-$1000 prices, and they're going to start withholding stock...again a rumor and possible sales pitch. Pd is for day traders with the $100 swings almost every day. IMHO the bull market in Pd is over.

If you can get Pt coins such as Eagles, Brits or Maples near the $900 price point, you are doing well and have a solid investment for a small part of your PM portfolio IMHO. Good luck out there folks.