• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Please school me about the 'RealID' Driver License

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
My driver's licence expires next month and I'm being asked if I want a traditional DL or a RealID? I remember seeing stuff out there where RealID is an effort by the government to keep track of people for nefarious purposes. I've even heard that the UN gets this information too.

What do the brothers and sister here know about RealID besides the standard bullshit the government spews. I understand the advantages but need to better understand the hidden pitfalls before making a decision one way or the other.

Thanks in advance for your input folks!

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You PROBABLY ALL READY HAVE ONE.

Most states went to the REAL ID about fifteen years ago. They just issued ONLY the REAL ID when this all started back in 2005.

The truth is, do you think they are actually giving you a choice? Nope. Your ID may not say it but chances are high that regardless of what you chose, YOUR information will shared with everybody that wants it.

The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedure standards for drivers' licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.

An Act to establish and rapidly implement regulations for state driver's license and identification document security standards, to prevent terrorists from abusing the asylum laws of the United States, to unify terrorism-related grounds for inadmissibility and removal, and to ensure expeditious construction of the San Diego border fence.

Last edited:

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
what I believe it is:
here in Ca, last time I got my 'regular ID', i declined the 'Real ID' at this time, I had to input all my data into one of the provided DMV computers, at their office

I've had to do this a couple of times over the last few decades...only this time, I'm the one directly inputting my data into their 'new' software

I'm the data input-er, and i'm not paid a cent for my labor

There was no way around this as I HAD to go into the office for that last renewal, they said it was to check my eyes but it was for the Data Input

We're in multiple computer systems, all of us, some of those systems will fall away over time as they're technically retarded and who knows if they're ever destroyed...probably sold to a chinese exporter, although i don't really know that to be true

and as noted above: our Freedoms will be restricted until and unless we genuflect to our newest god of safety: Real ID

not voter id, just Real ID...a footnote in our heritage of loss of freedoms all in the name of Safety

kinda makes me wonder: Why sell us on safety when the very essence of having a Real ID is to admit the .gov is a complete failure at all the attempts to keep us safe up to this point in time

not a one them, .gov employees, ever mentions that

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
It's my understanding that you won't be able to fly domestically or enter a federal building without one after October of this year.
This is true.

They'll take your fingerprint and a non smiling photo - 'teeth' mess up their algorithms?

There's also a see through hologram likeness on mine. Also I think some anti-forgery stuff - UV and imbedded imagery.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
As far as I know the cost for iit is $25

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
and the 'safety' lasts a lifetime...and beyond

agcoacres

The deadline for using a non-RealID for domestic air travel was October of this year but has been extended to next year because of COVID. After the DHS ID deadline next year, a traveler will need a Federal credential for domestic air travel, be it a state issued RealID or Passport. I have been told that TWIC cards will work, too, but haven't verified that with DHS.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
You have to provide a birth certificate and a SS card and a document showing your current address like a utility bill, medical bill, bank statement etc...same exact stuff i had to show in 1990 to get my license. I find it crazy that there were states that did not already require that to get an ID that the feds had to make a law.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
If you served bring your DD214 and they'll put 'Veteran' at the bottom.

foolsgold

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I got one from NYS, it can be identified by the Star in the upper right corner. What GH said above is true, so bring your DD214.

rid.PNG

Real ID Act
The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedure standards for drivers' licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.Wikipedia

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It's my understanding that you won't be able to fly domestically or enter a federal building without one after October of this year.
So, does that mean you can't be called for jury duty?

That would be worth it.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The deadline for using a non-RealID for PUBLIC domestic air travel was October of this year but has been extended to next year because of COVID. After the DHS ID deadline next year, a traveler will need a Federal credential for domestic air travel, be it a state issued RealID or Passport. I have been told that TWIC cards will work, too, but haven't verified that with DHS.
There, fixed it for you.

MY BIL owns two airplanes and he is constantly bugging me to go up with him. But even that won't happen, and I like my BIL a lot. I do not fly, regardless of who owns the plane.

I have not flown AT all for at least 10+ years and only ONCE in the past 25+ years, as I get violently ill, throw up, etc every time I used to fly. So I don't do that any more.

And gee, can't vote either? Kewl by me as I have not done that for the past 12 years.

Just not worth all the bs. Going to move WAY out in the country. To mainly get away from people in general and crazy people in specific.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Just not worth all the bs. Going to move WAY out in the country. To mainly get away from people in general and crazy people in specific.
How are you going to get there? By boat?

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Just because I do NOT fly and I do NO vote does not mean I don't already have the REAL ID... Texas went to it back in early 00's and you had no choice. Which means I do drive, for a little while longer.

The funny part is my CHL is NOT a REAL ID... kind thought that was ironic

foolsgold

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I should have added, I used was a passport, no other proof of identity was needed.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
It’s no more intrusive than the TSA known traveler program questions

If you don’t fly skip it. If you do it’s probably worth doing both