• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Pneumatic Back Support Belt

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
So, I've seen this ad on TV for "Dr. Ho's back support belt". It's an inflatable belt, comes with it's own manual air pump like you you would use to inflate a bicycle tire. The belt gets wrapped around your waist and is fastened with velcro then you use the pump to inflate it. The belt is designed with vertical air chambers so that when it inflates it pushes UP on your upper body to relieve pressure on your lower back/spinal vertebrae.

I figured, well, OK, it certainly looks plausible but, I've never bought anything from a TV ad and I really didn't feel losing $200 and giving out my card number to a TV sales outfit.

I was at Amazon ordering widgets and kanniblers for another project and I thought I would check and see if that back belt was offered there thinking I could at least read some customer reviews. Well it was there amazingly along with similar products from other companies. So I went shopping. I found a similar item with a much longer history and well over a thousand reviews. There were more details on the product, much less "sales pitch", about one quarter the price of the "Dr. Ho Belt" and it was part of Amazon Prime. So I figured for $50 I would give it a spin. Well it arrived today. I gave it a spin and it works and works well. Relief was nearly instant and that is the straightest I have walked in literally years. I only wore it for the recommended 1/2 hour, deflated the belt and removed it and amazingly the relief stayed with me for a few hours. At this point it has a LOT of potential to be a, for me, life changing device. I want to be able to wear it/use for the better part of a day, about 8 to 10 hours, before I sing it's praises, but, it has some serious potential here. There will be a follow up post when it has adequately proved itself...probably about a week.

As far as wearing the belt, it's a good idea to wear it over a light t-shirt or undershirt since a plastic material is used in the construction. It really isn't overly bulky when inflated so it's not too noticeable if you wear it under a casual shirt. It will NOT give you the support or ability to once again lift stuff but it certainly helped me to walk upright instead of being bent over...I get tired of counting my feet when I walk and I wasn't so dependent on my cane. Obviously my back muscles will need some strengthening and this belt will help make that process substantially less painful.

All in all a real good start!

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I bought a less than $10 Lumbar Lower Back Brace Support belt that sounds similar, but mine does not have inflation. My tests convinced me that it does give back relief, and I would wear it often, but I found a simple and free solution that works well for me. I taped a thin pad above my belt line onto a straight back dining room type chair. The thin pad applies a small amount of pressure to my lower back while I sit in the chair. When I get out of bed in the morning, my back pain is seriously bad, and I too walk hunched over. Within an hour of sitting in my chair (while I waste time on the computer) with the thin pad pressing gently on my back, I can walk straight and I feel much better.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Been watching it myself, bad back issues, which one did you get thanks.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
OK. Week's up.

This pneumatic belt (Pbelt) is EXCELLENT! It is rugged. It doesn't leak air throughout the day. Works as advertised!

Now, for the details...it is NOT perfect. You NEED to sort out some details and the details ARE very important.

1) You definitely want to wear a t-shirt or undershirt under the belt. The materials and velcro in particular get rather unpleasant after a couple of hours against bare skin.

2) This belt does NOT breathe well and is especially noticeable on warm days when you are active However, for me I consider this a small price to pay for the overall benefit of the belt.

3) This belt is designed to both offer lumbar (LOW back) support and provide a relief of pressure on on the lumbar region by lifting and supporting the upper torso when the belt is fully inflated.

4) This belt MUST be worn snugly to gain benefit from using it. To wear it snugly it must be as fully deflated as possible when you put it on. Wrap it around your waist , in hale and pull snugly before attaching the velcro. After you've attached the velcro remember to exhale. Now attach thhe hose from the pump to the hose on the belt. Now operate the pump to inflate your belt. Here's a tricky part...smartly remove the pump hose from the belt hose. You may or need to practice this a few times because pressure loss at disconnect can be significant if done too slowly. The shape of the belt flares to rest on your hip as a support point for the belt as it expands upward toward your rib cage to lift your upper torso. You CANNOT over-inflate the belt when using the provided pump. It has a check valve in the pump that opens at the proper pressure which prevents over-inflation. Pull up your pants over the Pbelt, zip/snap/button as usual and snug your pants belt. You are now good to go.

5) Whoa on there Speedy! You ain't gonna dance a jig or bend over and pick up anything just yet. YOU still need to use your brain. You are NOT a front-end loader! The idea is to relieve pain , give your back muscles a chance to rebuild strength, forestall further back injury. Can't do that if you're pickin' stuff up!

6) This is probably the hardest part of all for many men, especially those that are mechanically inclined but, it is NECESSARY to get the most benefit from the belt...you MUST read and FOLLOW the directions. Seriously! I know, it's a BIG challenge but it has to be done. These directions are not a slam on your manhood. It is NOT an insult of any kind. They really are there to help you.. They are simple and easy to follow and if you think about you could have these wrote these directions to help others....

First day - wear the belt for about half hour to an hour and then take it off.
Second day - wear the belt maybe up to two hours or two times like morning and evening for two hours at a time.
Third day - If you feel up to it see if you can wear it for 4 hours. For me this was the day things started shifting around in my back. It got sore. I started questioning if wearing the belt was a smart thing. I was having new and different pain. The joints moved some and had some leg pains and did NOT wear the belt for four full hours. Took it off for the rest of day. Woke up in heavy pain the nest day and proceeded to do my usual exercises and twists to work out the bad kinks and POP! Well! That was unexpected. My low back popped and that was it for me. I laid bak down and took about a 4 hour nap. That happens a lot for me/to me...The unhappy joint pops and the relief is HUGE and I want to go to sleep. It just makes me really sleepy. I crash for a while and get up feeling great! This Time I got up and wore the belt all day every day except for yesterday. My back has stayed feeling good! Yesterday I didn't wear it all and have yet to put it on today. I will get it on in a few hours. For now, I'm still feeling good.

For me and particular back issues this belt has done more for me in one week than nearly a year of procedures and pills from the pain clinic. Really wish I would have had a belt like this some 35 years ago. Nevertheless, I have it now and it IS working for me and working quite well.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I got mine from Amazon and here's the link for the exact model:
https://www.amazon.com/HailiCare-Su..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=0BNV12H99EZJAPTZFMMQ
$53 and change for this unit. This company also offers it in white and they offer a model with a built-in heating unit for a $15 up-charge.

The Dr. Ho belt is $199 and is amazingly quite similar to my belt. The Dr. Ho belt will work on up to 53" waists. Mine only gets out to 49" waists.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
If you have sciatica problems invest in a $125 ebay inversion table.
I did. They are not as practical as they appear. Mine worked as advertised but they ALL require modifications/accessories to work as well as possible. Getting tilted back is not so difficult getting it upright again is another story. Also good to know that you do NOT need to hang upside down, Even something as small as a 5 or 10 degree back angle is enough to provide relief. A cheaper way that is far more comfortable is elevating the foot of your bed 3 to 6 inches so your whole bed becomes an angled mattress provides effective and stress-free relief while you sleep.

Still, the belt is more practical in that you wear it throughout the day while you are active. It is incredibly important to strengthen those back and gut muscles to provide support while standing, walking and so on. The belt provides support while you work on those muscle groups.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Remember fellas, the reason you don’t see those lumbar belts in industrial setting anymore is because the belts atrophied the wearers back muscles.