• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Pool chlorine shortage is here, another rape begins

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Chlorine shortage stands to wreak havoc on summer pool season: Goldman Sachs
Yahoo Finance
BRIAN SOZZI
April 26, 2021, 12:53 PM
Summer pool season may be over for many before it even started, provided one wants to take a dip in sanitized self-contained body of water in their backyard.

Goldman Sachs analyst Kate McShane warns in new research on Monday the chlorine shortage building steam across the country is hardly improving. The problem — in terms of chlorine availability and prices —stems from Hurricane Laura causing a fire last August at one of the country's largest chlorine tablet makers BioLab. The plant was located in Louisiana.

McShane notes that chlorine prices surged 37% year over year in March due to the supply shortage. Prices are seen spiking 58% year over year from June to August, McShane points out, right smack in the middle of pool using season.

"Of the 26 pool shops we spoke to, 15 expressed uncertainty or doubt when asked about whether they will have enough chlorine for pool season. Adding to the pressure created by the chlorine shortage, respondents called out a plastic bucket shortage, driven by COVID-related manufacturing slowdowns, which has made procuring certain volume sizes of chlorine more difficult for retailers, and has led suppliers to deliver chlorine in either bags or in buckets with different colored lids, according to respondents," McShane said.

McShane continued, "When asked about whether the cost and availability of chlorine have improved in the last month or so, several respondents noted that while the supply of chlorine has improved somewhat, cost has not."

Commentary from the industry's main pool equipment supplier Pool Corp. on its recent earnings day underscores the severity of the chlorine shortage.

"I mean overall, I would tell you the price on dichlor and trichlor [chlorine tablets], which is the product that was impacted by the shortage, they're up about 60%. So if you think about how that's going to shake out for the balance of the year, it will probably remain at elevated level because I believe that the industry is going to be short for the season," Pool Corp CFO Mark Joslin told analysts on an April 22 earnings call.

The shortage will likely lead to pool owners to get creative on pool sanitization, Joslin said.

"Now that simply means that people are going to move their method of sanitization to another product, either a granular product or a liquid product. But there's no shortage of ways to sanitize the pool. It just simply means at a certain point people will shift. We've also seen certain parts of the country accelerating the use of salt as a method of sanitization too," Joslin added.

Pool Corp. shares haven't been slowed down a bit by the chlorine issue — shares are up 11% as the company continues to benefit from more people buying pools during the pandemic. First quarter sales and profits rose 57% and 165%, respectively.

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 23: Swimmers take part in a photoshoot to advertise the new 'sky pool' near Embassy Gardens in south-west London on April 23, 2021 in London, England. The pool sits 10 storeys up, spanning 25 metres between two apartment buildings and will open to residents from May 19, 2021. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Brian Sozzi is an editor-at-large and anchor at Yahoo Finance. Fol

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
TL;DR Use triclor tablets until your stabilizer (cyanuric acid) is around 40, then STOP! Use liquid chlorine (bleach) to keep the free chlorine at 3 to 7. Done.

The best information is at
www.troublefreepool.com

A salt water chlorine generator can help a lot. Electricity creates free chlorine. A sun dome helps too.

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Goldman Sachs analyst Kate McShane warns in new research on Monday the chlorine shortage building steam across the country is hardly improving. The problem — in terms of chlorine availability and prices —stems from Hurricane Laura causing a fire last August at one of the country's largest chlorine tablet makers BioLab. The plant was located in Louisiana.
Sorry, no pools for you!! We had a hurricane someplace and no can't make any more chlorine so pay through the nose for what you can find.

Same shit, different product! Use a mundane event to sticking it up the consumer's ass to bump up the profits because a Hurricane wiped out the only place they make Chlorine (apparently).

My recommendation is:

Close the pool, sell the house, move to the mountains and use the area lakes to go swimming. Hurricane's don't really effect lakes much and lakes don't need chlorine

Last edited:

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Same shit, different product! Use a mundane event to sticking it up the consumer's ass to bump up the profits because a Hurricane wiped out the only place they make Chlorine (apparently form this bullshit story).
Except, they dispute that claim in the same story. It says only the tablets were affected.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Except, they dispute that claim in the same story. It says only the tablets were affected.
Yep, you would think they can still produce plenty of pool chlorine and the prices shouldn't be effected very much but hey; the devil is always in the details lol

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Stop peeing in the pool

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
i was shopping for chlorine last September (approx) and local Lowes was out of every size but the buckets

I went home and began shopping on line, some of my normal places were all out, I ordered one bucket from a different vendor and the order was cancelled a few days later< out of stock

October, same thing, but fewer tubs, so, i bought one tub...about 5 years supply for me, LOL, but i needed it

been basically this way since last year, about mid-year, short stock on the shelf...the store said it was from Covid needs, i laughed

this is not new, it's just now being reported

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
i was shopping for chlorine last September (approx) and local Lowes was out of every size but the buckets
Those big stores are almost always out around that time since they just stock for the season.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Those big stores are almost always out around that time since they just stock for the season.
I've never had the burden of owning a pool. Does the chlorine have a shelf life? Can you buy in bulk and store it over multiple seasons?

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I've never had the burden of owning a pool. Does the chlorine have a shelf life? Can you buy in bulk and store it over multiple seasons?
I dunno if technically it does; but I've used tablets that were years old without any issues.
We've got 2 pools (1 inside, 1 outside) -- well 3 now, pic related -- and I buy in bulk and keep them between seasons.
MbwXkj0.png

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
TL;DR Use triclor tablets until your stabilizer (cyanuric acid) is around 40, then STOP! Use liquid chlorine (bleach) to keep the free chlorine at 3 to 7. Done.

www.troublefreepool.com

A salt water chlorine generator can help a lot. Electricity creates free chlorine. A sun dome helps too.
30 gallon commericial grade from sams, picking up at 11, hd out of tabs, pinch a penny low, prices on ebay and amazon thru roof

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

My neighbor started using a pool service years ago, he gave me a 50 gallone pail of tabs, still good.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Loaded up on liquid at pinch a penny , grabbed another pail, for some odd reason i asked if they gave veterans discount and they do 10% Allthese years ive been going there didnt think to ask

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

www.troublefreepool.com

Thanks, I need to look into educating myself some more of the options available. When we bought this new house with the giant outdoor pool, the understanding was that the wife unit was going to be responsible for the upkeep. I've always been responsible for our indoor pool and the small above grounds we have had and dont have a problem with that.

It doesn't seem like we both had the same understanding of what that meant. Comparatively, the indoor pool has always been a complete breeze to maintain.

Last edited:

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Does the chlorine have a shelf life?
The trichlor tablets should be good for many years if kept in a cool, dark place. I have a bucket that's been outdoors for many years, and the tablets have crumbled somewhat, and the plastic wrappers have fallen apart, but the chemical was still usable. A warning on that, the (outdoor) bucket was full of chlorine gas, and it was nearly impossible to get them out safely without a respirator and acid gas cartridges.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
What about laundry bleach?

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yes, it is sodium hypochlorite, just like the higher concentration liquid in the pool stores. Just avoid the scented or "no splash" types.

Bigjon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I'm now using Lugol's iodine and borax and Dead Sea salt in my hot tub. This is the best combination ever. Takes very little chemicals. My tub is about 550 gal. and so far I've used 4 to 5 oz lugols, 5 to 6 oz Borax, ~10 pounds Dead Sea salt. Time frame is last 6 months.

Lugol's turns the water a bright green. It's a clear green, not a murky green and no stinkin cloride bleach smell.

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Evl Bnkr

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Converted my pool to salt water years ago, now I make my own chlorine...

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I watched some people start using their above ground pool which had green water and leaves in it immediately after dumping a couple of gallons of clorox in. Don't think they were on the upper end of the intelligence scale.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I watched some people start using their above ground pool which had green water and leaves in it immediately after dumping a couple of gallons of clorox in.
If the water is green, the algae have taken over. It takes more than just a few gallons of bleach to reverse that. If water is cheap, consider draining and refilling. Otherwise, get ready for dozens and dozens... and dozens of gallons of bleach, day after day after day to win the battle. If the stabilizer level is too high (if they were using tablets as the only chlorine), it may be impossible to kill the algae.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
If the water is green, the algae have taken over. It takes more than just a few gallons of bleach to reverse that. If water is cheap, consider draining and refilling. Otherwise, get ready for dozens and dozens... and dozens of gallons of bleach, day after day after day to win the battle. If the stabilizer level is too high (if they were using tablets as the only chlorine), it may be impossible to kill the algae.
I wasn't going to tell them a thing. It's not like it was a newly installed pool. I was on staging siding a neighbors house while they were doing it.

Given the climate here, a person may get 3 months use out of a pool. I had a 18' round and it was more work to maintain than I thought it was worth. Probably didn't help a Maple tree blocked the afternoon sun.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought 40 lbs of 3 " tabs.....15 lbs bucket and 25 lbs bucket...only 2 in stock at RK...will get me through the year...each bucket was $60 go figure....the 25 pounder is what I typically buy. It was $45 last year

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Had gotten 2 pails online Sunday when I was told about the article, sams club, went in to get something else the next day they were OUT, had like 2+ large pallets of the large tabs. Also almost out of pool salt.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
So what happens if the pool care companies cant get chlorine for your pool?? Local pp was out of large tabs and small ones going quickly.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
So what happens if the pool care companies cant get chlorine for your pool??
That means that the store shelves are also empty of bleach. That is probably a bigger problem.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Chlorine was literally the Cheapest element of them all. This is absolutely shortages created by politicians.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Chlorine was literally the Cheapest element of them all. This is absolutely shortages created by politicians.
Maybe at the root of it all; but in the article it states the shortage only affects the tablets and the shortage is because the place they were manufactured had a fire that disrupted manufacturing. Pretty easy to predict that if you take the largest manufacturer out of the supply chain due to a fire that shortages are going to appear during the busy season for the products.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
a bit off topic, but one of my daily medications is Valium (diapazam) - and in France, there was NO VALIUM to be found outside of Hospital Care for 3 months earlier this year... with NO EXPLANATION... My doctor prescribed me something else that gave me nightmares - so I had to rely on my pretty big "stash" that I always keep loaded (for international trips lasting several months where I can't re-fill my prescriptions)... So I always take LESS than the amount prescribed, in order to keep my "stash" full...

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
And regular Clorox?
Look at the label. It should say that sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient. That's what you want. Compare the chlorine percentage (typically 6%) and the price, and buy the cheapest (so $4 for 10% is better than $3 for 6%).

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty easy to predict that if you take the largest manufacturer out of the supply chain due to a fire that shortages are going to appear during the busy season for the products.
yes it is...

so, they take refineries off line for 'maintenance' and no one says boo...power plants down for wind or maintenance...

in my State, that's been equated to 'wealth creation' for the company who's sole product supports the backbone of the local economy

and i've heard the recorded phone conversations of the 'day traders', the mainpulators who speak about 'shut it down now...', so they could make a fortune when the price spikes in about an hour...

yes, we can predict, however, that means shit when factored in with the fact that the criminals are running the show

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
As I wrote before, use triclor to get your stabilizer to 40, then STOP USING TABLETS. Use liquid chlorine, or spend a few $$$ and install a salt water chlorinator. Imagine getting infinite chlorine for the cheap price of electricity.

If you have a pool, you should have a decent test kit. But if you are not willing to buy a Taylor k2006 or better, you can use the "Pool Math" calculator to figure out how many pounds of triclor will give you 40 CYA (stabilizer).

For example, if you have a 30 foot, 48" outdoor pool, it tells you that your pool is 21200 gallons. Put that in the top. Now go to the bottom with "Effects of adding chemicals". Select triclor and 16 ounces. It says that 16 ounces of triclor will add 3.1 to your CYA. So 13 pounds of triclor will get your pool to 40. Normally, stabilizer NEVER, EVER goes away. So unless you drain your pool, or nature does it by overflowing from rain, you don't ever add more stabilizer.

Too much stabilizer (CYA) can make your pool unmanageable. It keeps some of your chlorine "inactive". You need some to keep UV rays from destroying your chlorine. Too much allows algae to take over your pool, and it might be IMPOSSIBLE to recover.

I stopped following the site a few years ago, and then, the wisdom was that a pool with a salt water chlorinator was best with a CYA of 80 (double the usual amount). There was no good theory, but the best guess was that the chlorine was more steady and more effective. Another guess was that the chlorine level was very high as the water went through the generator, and that was better at killing germs.