• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Port Vs Direct Injection

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
By far and away, this is the best explanation as to what is happening in your motor with both types of injection and why it is important.

My wife totaled her KIA with the GDR (gasoline direct direction) motor but I never understood why KIA has a bad rep for motor longevity.

I've got 4 vehicles, 3 with port injection but my Turbo Honda that I like so much is direct injected only.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
A few people I know have experienced a dark side of direct injection, when the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) breaks up, it sends shrapnel through the fuel system. Besides a new HPFP, the injectors, under the hood fuel lines, and in-tank pump have to be replaced. Additionally, the fuel lines from the tank to the front have to be flushed and the fuel tank dropped and cleaned. If you don't DIY it, the bill is easily over $10k. Part of the HPFP is lubricated by the fuel. Besides just a random failure, running out of fuel and contaminated fuel can cause HPFP failure.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
that was interesting

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My Bobcat 825 has a Perkins diesel engine, and it seem to hold up pretty well.
A few people I know have experienced a dark side of direct injection, when the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) breaks up, it sends shrapnel through the fuel system.
I have not noticed this problem.

Besides a new HPFP, the injectors, under the hood fuel lines, and in-tank pump have to be replaced. Additionally, the fuel lines from the tank to the front have to be flushed and the fuel tank dropped and cleaned. If you don't DIY it, the bill is easily over $10k.
I have run dry twice or three times, and while it was a pain in the ass to get it going again, it did not not cost me money.

Part of the HPFP is lubricated by the fuel. Besides just a random failure, running out of fuel and contaminated fuel can cause HPFP failure.
Did you define the term HPFP?? I can't comment on something I did not understand. Anyway, my Perkins engine is up to the task, and I try to maintain it properly.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
my duramax and john deere and caterpillar and duetz direct injected diesels all seem to be holding up fine .....some turbo some not........

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This is really dumb but I thought this thread was about a frequent medical infusion treatment. Same terminology.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
My incoming Tacoma has both.

.:don't know:

TomD

Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
My incoming Tacoma has both.

.:don't know:
My wifes Avalon has the same setup so my guess is that Toyota/Lexus is doing that across assorted model lines. My 2021 Sierra GM 5.3 now holds 8 qts of oil while my 2012 5.3 holds 6 quarts. I heard somewhere the reason for the extra oil capacity was that it allowed for less dilution by contaminants, hence reducing blow by volatiles that would evaporate into the intake system.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
I understand the issue.....just don't understand how diesel engines that use DI literally go millions of miles with little issues....would like to reconcile that difference in my mind

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I understand the issue.....just don't understand how diesel engines that use DI literally go millions of miles with little issues....would like to reconcile that difference in my mind
Maybe because diesel fuel is way closer to being oil than gasoline is? Less of a solvent?
That's all that I can come up with!

:don't know:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Best of both worlds.
Keeps the lifters clean of carbon while still getting the power and gas mileage of DI is how I understand it. I guess when the DI kicks in it is pretty noisy, but Tacoma's are old school built trucks and they are noisy anyway.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
Maybe a German thing?

HOW VW AND AUDI 2.0T TSI HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMPS FAIL "This is a failure that I was replacing regularly a few years ago"
High-Pressure Fuel Pump Failure in Your BMW – Tips From Expert Mechanics in Spring "this is a problem that is inevitable over time."
i was thinking about my diesels (8) of them.... everything from chevrolet duramax to john deere diesels are proven technology using DI ......and they go far longer than the video suggests without a "valve wash" .........it could be as simple as valves being hotter or cooler but the premise is the same.....also could also be as simple as the oils we use in diesels are not as volatile as gas engine oils ....but who konws

TomD

Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score