• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

possible disconnect

Scorpio

Разыскиваются украинские блондинки
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
on a short term basis anyway,

ETH has not been keeping up with the moves in chitcoin,

wherein chit is holding up better than eth overall, and eth is losing a lot of followers for multiple reasons

which does show that chitcoin is still the leader of the pack, whether one agrees or not

EO 11110

(LOIS LERNER) GOT AWAY WITH IT
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
par for the course. markets heading down work from the fringe to the center. see same action in the nazdak speculative high beta kathie wood type stuff -- her crap is getting absolutely destroyed while fakebook/amazon go down, but less bloody

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
yeah , I am waiting for Etherium to hit a certain number and then I’m cashing out

same with my other cryptos , I’m dumping them all and focusing on Bitcoin

EO 11110

Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
would be interesting to look at what's happened outside of the top 5 or 10 branded codes. imagine it will show gigantic losses

less size = more destruction?

ds_mustang

Libertarian, Capitalist, Software guy
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
yeah , I am waiting for Etherium to hit a certain number and then I’m cashing out

same with my other cryptos , I’m dumping them all and focusing on Bitcoin
Bitcoin is going up because it's simple and the first onramp to crypto for newcomers. But bitcoin is going nowhere. There's essentially no difference between bitcoin and dogecoin (which also has occasional big price moves) and a hundred other dead-end tokens. See my comment on Bitcoin vs smart contract crypto in the other thread here for a more detailed look at why bitcoin is stagnating as a technology:

Last edited:

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
on a short term basis anyway,

ETH has not been keeping up with the moves in chitcoin,

wherein chit is holding up better than eth overall, and eth is losing a lot of followers for multiple reasons

which does show that chitcoin is still the leader of the pack, whether one agrees or not
Bitcoin is the lead crypto (for the moment) and when it's under its bull market support the whole crypto sector tends to underperform bitcoin. That's what's going on now. However in every crypto bull since Ethereum was invented, Ethereum has outperformed bitcoin on the upside, including the most recent bull run. Meanwhile smart contract crypto is absolutely trouncing bitcoin on functionality, and that's one reason I think this most recent crypto bull was cut short. Basically it became apparent bitcoin is losing to smart contract crypto... but since bitcoin is "the leader", when it falls it drags the whole crypto space down. So crypto was put into an early bear thanks to bitcoin's limitations that put its leadership in question. Just Ethereum outperforming bitcoin tends to tank bitcoin which then ironically tanks the crypto space and drags Ethereum down. I think this problem solves itself once the market matures enough that some other crypto takes the lead from bitcoin.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Eagle
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
LOL, CDIM, computer digits is money. From Crypto land...

Aren't humans inventive...

1646941396194.png
What a world we live in...

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
LOL, CDIM, computer digits is money. From Crypto land...

Aren't humans inventive...

View attachment 249029 What a world we live in...

Money in use today is already computer digits and has been for decades. Crypto just tries to give control of the digital money back to individuals rather than governments/banks.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
There's essentially no difference between bitcoin and dogecoin (which also has occasional big price moves) and a hundred other dead-end tokens.
Tough to take you seriously when you say stuff like this. Dog coin was quite literally made as a joke. It has an inflation rate that's effectively infinite. Which helps explain why there are 6990x as many dog coins as there are bitcoins.

Repeat. There are exactly 18,979,656 bitcoins in existence and a great many of them have been lost forever.

There are 132,670,764,300 dog coins and theoretically at least, far fewer of them have been lost as a percentage of the whole...because by the time the joke called "dogecoin" came around people had a clue what to expect from a crypto currency.

Bitcoin is deflationary. Doge is a joke, rather than there being "essentially no difference", there are actually a few very important(and obvious) differences. Supply, acceptance, and infrastructure.

EO 11110

Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
the title mentions something about disconnect - graphic below is also the future of computer code ledger money

1646960530775.png

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Anything left in cryptos after an EMP, I wonder? (or in "bank account servers" too, for that matter?)

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Of course. I keep most of mine in paper wallets. The EMP thing is more of a meme than it is a serious issue for crypto currencies.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Eagle
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The EMP thing is more of a meme than it is a serious issue for crypto currencies.

Or a serious issue of reality. Has an EMP ever been shown to occur?

I find myself questioning everything these sober days...

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Or a serious issue of reality. Has an EMP ever been shown to occur?

I find myself questioning everything these sober days...

HUGE Solar Flare... look up "The Carrington Effect"...

LONG OVERDUE... usually once a century...

Last one in 1850's totally fried the ONLY "electronics / electrics" in service at the time - WORLDWIDE = the Telegraph System...

Today would fry every electric grid transformer (no "replacements in stock on shelves"), every vehicle electronics, every computer, every satellite, every on-board system in flying airplanes, every "backup" in Nuke Plants... every water distribution system, every phone, every ATM, every traffic light... and keep on going...

There is only a miniscule part of our "electronic systems" that is "shielded"... FAR from enough to avoid "Armageddon"...

Except for the Amish...

Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect that if that happens then people's bitcoin or ethereum balance will be the very last thing to worry about. Not freezing to death and then figuring out how TF to make coffee without power will be far more pressing concerns than how many dogecoins I have on my phone. ...the answer is zero btw, dogecoin is lame.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I suspect that if that happens then people's bitcoin or ethereum balance will be the very last thing to worry about. Not freezing to death and then figuring out how TF to make coffee without power will be far more pressing concerns than how many dogecoins I have on my phone. ...the answer is zero btw, dogecoin is lame.
How to drink clean water & dispose of waste & get food... (Amish again...)

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Tough to take you seriously when you say stuff like this. Dog coin was quite literally made as a joke. It has an inflation rate that's effectively infinite. Which helps explain why there are 6990x as many dog coins as there are bitcoins.

Repeat. There are exactly 18,979,656 bitcoins in existence and a great many of them have been lost forever.

There are 132,670,764,300 dog coins and theoretically at least, far fewer of them have been lost as a percentage of the whole...because by the time the joke called "dogecoin" came around people had a clue what to expect from a crypto currency.

Bitcoin is deflationary. Doge is a joke, rather than there being "essentially no difference", there are actually a few very important(and obvious) differences. Supply, acceptance, and infrastructure.

But they can be fractionalized, just decimal points.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Years ago a friend worked for the DOD at Sandia Labs in Albuquerque. He left for a semi-conductor company in 2005. He told me then that the DOD's biggest fear was an EMP burst(s) over the US. A Coronal Mass Ejection has happened before and could happen again anytime without warning.

SC

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

... If you don't hold it...

Wish I'd bought the "physical bitcoins" when Max Keiser was touting them @ $10 on RT way back when...

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Years ago a friend worked for the DOD at Sandia Labs in Albuquerque. He left for a semi-conductor company in 2005. He told me then that the DOD's biggest fear was an EMP burst(s) over the US. A Coronal Mass Ejection has happened before and could happen again anytime without warning.

SC

We just BARELY missed a "direct hit" in recent years, by a few days or weeks... That's the "Carrington Effect"... "Shotgun blast from the Sun"...

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
But they can be fractionalized, just decimal points.
That doesn't increase supply of bitcoin anymore than you buying a pack of gum that costs $.79 and paying with a dollar increases the dollar supply. Bitcoins are divisible down to 8 digits. Those digits are called satoshis and they're fractions of a bitcoin.

100m satoshis = 1 bitcoin. This is the same kind of relationship as exists between pennies and the dollar.

If you couldn't make change, then bitcoin would be useless as a currency.

... If you don't hold it...

Wish I'd bought the "physical bitcoins" when Max Keiser was touting them @ $10 on RT way back when...
Physical bitcoins are just private keys. The bitcoin is still electronic...and if you could physically hold the bitcoin itself it would be worthless.

I feel like I've made these exact same points here 10k before.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Physical bitcoins are just private keys. The bitcoin is still electronic...and if you could physically hold the bitcoin itself it would be worthless.

I sure remember Max holding up a "silver-colored coin that said BitCoin" on it at the time... Telling me that it was a "gimmick"? Meanwhile he was explaining about "mining" and "keeping it in an electronic wallet"...

And they cost ten bucks...

I was broke at the time... otherwise I might have considered, since his advice is often right "on the money"...

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Not a gimmick exactly, but a physical bitcoin is simply a wallet address with a private key stored on or within and a public address without. The bitcoin still exists, but it's not physically there. Physical bitcoins have been around nearly as long as bitcoin. They're pretty cool imo, particularly the ones made of precious metals, but they're best thought of as piggy banks that hold currency, not the currency itself.

1646975584918.png

1646975654395.png

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
XRP, got a buddy that has been telling me that this is the next greatest thing coming down the pipeline.

I have read up on some of it, but I just don't see it. Any of you guys that are crypto savvy willing to help an old guy out?

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Not a gimmick exactly, but a physical bitcoin is simply a wallet address with a private key stored on or within and a public address without. The bitcoin still exists, but it's not physically there. Physical bitcoins have been around nearly as long as bitcoin. They're pretty cool imo, particularly the ones made of precious metals, but they're best thought of as piggy banks that hold currency, not the currency itself.

View attachment 249127

View attachment 249128

I see in your signature line that you quote J. Krishnamurti... I went to one of his schools when I was a teenager... ;)

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

The technology in dogecoin is the same as bitcoin (along with dozens of other bitcoin clones). Yes dogecoin chose an inflationary monetary policy rather than deflationary, however my point was it's much more similar than it is different under the hood. Additionally both coins don't do anything but provide payments. They have no further decentralized infrastructure to support all the aspects of a financial system and thus depend on centralized services--again more similar than different for the point I was making. As far as I can see there's not much of a future for either coin when you compare them to the remarkable advances happening in the rest of crypto.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, and before there were Bugatti chirons there were Ford model Ts.

You're an ETH fan...not "ETH classic" of course, which is really better named simply "Ethereum", but Ethereum 2.0 or 3.0, whatever number we're on now. Yet, that's not the end of the line there either, as there are coins that do what it does...some of which didn't have to reverse transactions because the founders of it were mentally retarded.

Is Cardano better than Ethereum 2.0? How about Polkadot? Solano? IYO? When one is clearly superior, will you dump whichever version of Ethereum you currently hold? Why not?

EO 11110

Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
the globalist communist drive to total control centers around making everything electric - so they can cut you rebels off in numerous ways. your ishit phone wont charge/wont work, your car is dead, your 'money' is dead, you are blocked from internet, etc.

electric code ledger money is one of the key features of this goal

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
That doesn't increase supply of bitcoin anymore than you buying a pack of gum that costs $.79 and paying with a dollar increases the dollar supply. Bitcoins are divisible down to 8 digits. Those digits are called satoshis and they're fractions of a bitcoin.

100m satoshis = 1 bitcoin. This is the same kind of relationship as exists between pennies and the dollar.

If you couldn't make change, then bitcoin would be useless as a currency.

You don’t think they can (or are) further fractionalize Satoshis? Limiting underlying supply just increases value. Maybe someday people could save for their future and not have to comsume for today before their currency becomes worthless.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
No, I don't think anyone is dividing bitcoins into more than 100m units. As all the bankers on Earth have yet to be made extinct, there are naturally lots of ways to create fractional reserve scams using bitcoin, just as with gold, silver, or dollars. They don't need to steal in a way that's easily detected to get some portion of dummies to provide them with opportunity.

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sure, and before there were Bugatti chirons there were Ford model Ts.

You're an ETH fan...not "ETH classic" of course, which is really better named simply "Ethereum", but Ethereum 2.0 or 3.0, whatever number we're on now. Yet, that's not the end of the line there either, as there are coins that do what it does...some of which didn't have to reverse transactions because the founders of it were mentally retarded.

Is Cardano better than Ethereum 2.0? How about Polkadot? Solano? IYO? When one is clearly superior, will you dump whichever version of Ethereum you currently hold? Why not?
I hold DOT, SOL, ALGO, and all those coins you mention and more. And I have Bitcoin and gold too. I'm not the zealot you think I am. I let the market show me the winner. At the moment the network with the vast majority of usage, development, and cash flow is in ETH, so that's what I focus on, but that might change. SOL has a lot of growth and chatter at the moment. ADA has been having a rough time of it. I don't care about ETH classic because it's not used. You on the other hand seem to have clear biases based on something in your head... something other than objective measures like usage and development. I highly recommend you get over that before it costs you even more than it probably already has.

Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Never said you were a zealot, I did suggest that you were misrepresenting bitcoin by saying:

There's essentially no difference between bitcoin and dogecoin

Which you were. ...thank you for the concern about my financial well being. I'll be just fine thank you...particularly as I swapped cryptos, especially ETH for physical metal at the top and they(ETH) has done nothing other than crater compared to those metals ever since.

...but I know, you don't care about risk or managing it. Carry on.

Now see...if I wanted to stack ETH, I could exchange silver for crappy dollars, and go get lots moar ETH. I do not wish to do that because I personally believe physical silver will continue to outperform ETH...at least for some while. It isn't rocket surgery. When things go up in a parabolic fashion, they roll over. Every. Single. Time.

1647017452137.png

Last edited:

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Never said you were a zealot, I did suggest that you were misrepresenting bitcoin by saying:

Which you were. ...thank you for the concern about my financial well being. I'll be just fine thank you...particularly as I swapped cryptos, especially ETH for physical metal at the top and they have done nothing other than crater compared to those metals ever since.

...but I know, you don't care about risk or managing it. Carry on.
You've been in crypto almost as long as me. If you're not retired/financially independent yet you've been doing it wrong somehow. But carry on as you wish.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
You've been in crypto almost as long as me. If you're not retired/financially independent yet you've been doing it wrong somehow. But carry on as you wish.
...actually I believe I've been in crypto longer than you. Unless you happened to have mined them on a PC in 2009? Ever trade them on tradehill? I have. When bitcoin was < $2.

Yes, thanks, I will carry on.

I like your ETH comparison chart... expand it another year or two or five and you'll see a VERY different picture. It must be the season for picking cherries.
So what? Time works in one direction for we humans. When something runs up dramatically, you take profit off the table. How is that difficult for you? It's a year to date chart. It's not "cherry picked" it's the most current data.

If you can guarantee me a price of ETH at all new highs by September, then I'll go buy more today. I can't see the future, so I choose to use common sense and history to guide my actions.

Scorpio

Разыскиваются украинские блондинки
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
the reality to me is quite simple,

I have to have exposure on both sides, chitcoin and eth ecosystem

and own a bunch of the down market garbage too like sol/ada/dot/iotx/link/matic/algo/avax

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with owning a wide basket of goodies. Question is, if one of those goodies runs up dramatically relative to the other goodies, do you rebalance? Do you take some profit there and move it into those goodies that haven't done as well?

That's my strategy in a nutshell. Ratios.

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
...actually I believe I've been in crypto longer than you. Unless you happened to have mined them on a PC in 2009? Ever trade them on tradehill? I have. When bitcoin was < $2.

Yes, thanks, I will carry on.

So what? Time works in one direction for we humans. When something runs up dramatically, you take profit off the table. How is that difficult for you? It's a year to date chart. It's not "cherry picked" it's the most current data.

If you can guarantee me a price of ETH at all new highs by September, then I'll go buy more today. I can't see the future, so I choose to use common sense and history to guide my actions.
Sounds like you were in before me, but it just makes my point stronger. You're trading the best asset in the history of our lives when all you had to do was hold. Simply buying in 2009 and holding would've made you a billionaire or near to it. So unless you're almost a billionaire, your "common sense" is not helping you. It's not like it's difficult to simply hold. You could've even sold out your original costs on the way up to have zero risk if it made you feel better and still be half a billionaire.

I know you understand all the issues, I see you explain them on here. But apparently you don't actually believe them because you won't hold the asset. Maybe you should stop lecturing others on an asset you don't believe in enough to hold long term?

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I like bitcoin. I like bitcoin a lot. Doesn't mean I'm going to watch it go up in a parabolic fashion and then crater. Its price action seems incredibly easy to predict to me, so I play the game. When it went up to 1k the first time, I was a net seller...then it cratered into the 200ish range and sat there for years. When it got to 335ish, I became a net buyer again.

I see zero reason to hodl things that get way ahead of themselves, when I can pull some portion of that gained value and put it into something I also like that hasn't performed as well. Hence BTC : silver, BTC : platinum, BTC : gold ratios. When they get out of whack, I rebalance, but I never leave any of them entirely.