• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

possible disconnect

ds_mustang

Libertarian, Capitalist, Software guy
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I like bitcoin. I like bitcoin a lot. Doesn't mean I'm going to watch it go up in a parabolic fashion and then crater. Its price action seems incredibly easy to predict to me, so I play the game. When it went up to 1k the first time, I was a net seller...then it cratered into the 200ish range and sat there for years. When it got to 335ish, I became a net buyer again.

I see zero reason to hodl things that get way ahead of themselves, when I can pull some portion of that gained value and put it into something I also like that hasn't performed as well. Hence BTC:AG, BTC:pT, BTC:AU ratios. When they get out of whack, I rebalance, but I never leave any of them entirely.
Only you know your situation. But like I said, if you're not already retired you're doing it wrong. If you have been doing it wrong, maybe stop trying to predict the future and just hold a good asset.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of good assets...and I hodl some of all of them. It's not a binary decision, I merely make decisions based upon which is cheap and which is expensive relative to the others. Cryptos were ahead of themselves relative to PMs, so I rebalanced. I rebalance also amongst PMs. If gold has a run that leaves platinum and silver behind, then I swap yellow metal for white. I've done that several times in the past year.

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
There are lots of good assets...and I hodl some of all of them. It's not a binary decision, I merely make decisions based upon which is cheap and which is expensive relative to the others. Cryptos were ahead of themselves relative to PMs, so I rebalanced. I rebalance also amongst PMs. If gold has a run that leaves platinum and silver behind, then I swap yellow metal for white. I've done that several times in the past year.
I've never sold an ounce of gold. I might trade assets I have no faith in, but when I believe in something I've no interest in trying to predict future price moves because I know its easy to get it wrong. And why trade an asset you believe in and want to own? Simply buy more when it goes on sale.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Because, again, I don't store wealth in dollars. Dollars suck and I do not want them.

How does one buy more of something without the assets to do so? Right, you take profits elsewhere to do so. IOW you re-balance your holdings.

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Because, again, I don't store wealth in dollars. Dollars suck and I do not want them.

How does one buy more of something without the assets to do so? Right, you take profits elsewhere to do so. IOW you re-balance your holdings.
No, you buy more with your INCOME.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
No, you buy more with your INCOME.
...and I told you already. The PoS coin thing has been done before. The vast majority of them collapsed to ZERO. Will that happen again? I dunno, but if you're relying on them for "income", perhaps you should check the history there.

ds_mustang

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
...and I told you already. The PoS coin thing has been done before. The vast majority of them collapsed to ZERO. Will that happen again? I dunno, but if you're relying on them for "income", perhaps you should check the history there.
Most people's income comes from their JOB. I don't know about you, but the vast majority of crypto I bought with my JOB income.

However now that smart contract crypto is maturing there are lots of options for crypto income. And not all of it is staking returns paid in the same crypto you're staking. One of the cryptos I'm staking pays in USD stablecoin, so as the price of the crypto falls, the APR return goes UP. This is possible because the smart contract is a financial service that charges USD stablecoin fees and pays those fees out to stakers.