• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

POST OFFICE GOES SNOWFLAKE

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Following the 10% stamp increase they wimp out
U.S. No mail will be delivered to parts of seven states as polar vortex chills postal delivery

Mike James,USA TODAY 13 hours ago

So much for "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night." The U.S. mail won't be delivered Wednesday in large swaths of seven states due to the crippling cold of the polar vortex.
The USPS announced in a tweet Tuesday that no mail will be delivered Wednesday in Iowa, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, eastern Montana, western Wisconsin and western Illinois. Some retail offices of the postal service will be open, but couriers won't be delivering any mail to those areas.
It's not the first time that mail carriers won't deliver mail to certain addresses due to bad weather, but typically, those scenarios happen on a street or two that is blocked off by snow drifts. In Wednesday's case, it is the forecast for extreme cold, which is hitting the Midwest particularly hard.
On Wednesday, Chicago will be colder than parts of Antarctica, Alaska and the North Pole, and scores of schools, city halls, businesses and even zoos will be closed across the region.
The Windy City's "high" temperature on Wednesday should be around 10 below zero, while the overnight low Wednesday night into Thursday morning is forecast to be in the 25-below range, according to the National Weather Service in Chicago.
Keep your pets safe: Limit time outdoors and more tips for your fur babies
Here are the facts: Despite winter storms, global warming is real
But even with the lack of mail delivery Wednesday, there's no real breach of a postal service motto. While many people believe that "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" is an official motto for the postal service, it is not.
According to the USPS, "While the Postal Service has no official motto, the popular belief that it does is a tribute to America's postal workers. The words above, thought to be the motto, are chiseled in gray granite over the entrance to the New York City Post Office on 8th Avenue."
The words, according to the USPS, "come from Book 8, Paragraph 98, of The Persian Wars by Herodotus. During the wars between the Greeks and Persians (500-449 B.C.), the Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers who served with great fidelity."
While the postal service does not have an official motto, it does have an official mission statement:
The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities.
There's no word yet on when mail service will resume in the affected regions.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: No mail will be delivered to parts of seven states as polar vortex chills postal delivery

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Following the 10% stamp increase they wimp out
U.S. No mail will be delivered to parts of seven states as polar vortex chills postal delivery

Mike James,USA TODAY 13 hours ago

So much for "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night." The U.S. mail won't be delivered Wednesday in large swaths of seven states due to the crippling cold of the polar vortex.
The USPS announced in a tweet Tuesday that no mail will be delivered Wednesday in Iowa, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, eastern Montana, western Wisconsin and western Illinois. Some retail offices of the postal service will be open, but couriers won't be delivering any mail to those areas.
It's not the first time that mail carriers won't deliver mail to certain addresses due to bad weather, but typically, those scenarios happen on a street or two that is blocked off by snow drifts. In Wednesday's case, it is the forecast for extreme cold, which is hitting the Midwest particularly hard.
On Wednesday, Chicago will be colder than parts of Antarctica, Alaska and the North Pole, and scores of schools, city halls, businesses and even zoos will be closed across the region.
The Windy City's "high" temperature on Wednesday should be around 10 below zero, while the overnight low Wednesday night into Thursday morning is forecast to be in the 25-below range, according to the National Weather Service in Chicago.
Keep your pets safe: Limit time outdoors and more tips for your fur babies
Here are the facts: Despite winter storms, global warming is real
But even with the lack of mail delivery Wednesday, there's no real breach of a postal service motto. While many people believe that "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" is an official motto for the postal service, it is not.
According to the USPS, "While the Postal Service has no official motto, the popular belief that it does is a tribute to America's postal workers. The words above, thought to be the motto, are chiseled in gray granite over the entrance to the New York City Post Office on 8th Avenue."
The words, according to the USPS, "come from Book 8, Paragraph 98, of The Persian Wars by Herodotus. During the wars between the Greeks and Persians (500-449 B.C.), the Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers who served with great fidelity."
While the postal service does not have an official motto, it does have an official mission statement:
The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities.
There's no word yet on when mail service will resume in the affected regions.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: No mail will be delivered to parts of seven states as polar vortex chills postal delivery
I know I wouldn't want to ride around with the window down all day in that weather. Want your mail, drive down to the PO till it warms up I'd say. But I'm a wuss.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I know I wouldn't want to ride around with the window down all day in that weather. Want your mail, drive down to the PO till it warms up I'd say. But I'm a wuss.
It’s doable, but it would be damned uncomfortable. I’ve worked outside in much worse.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Biodiesel causes the fuel filter to plug up. Not good when diesel motors are running in -30 below temperatures.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
we did get regular mail today including a usps package and fedex package.........but being rural we order a lot of things online that would be susceptible to freezing plus its a quarter mile walk/drive to the mail box......i wish there was a way to designate freezing suseptable packages for warmer deliveries

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Hell 28-30 degrees is good outdoor work weather! Chainsaws run like raped apes when it's chilly and I don't sweat as much.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Hell 28-30 degrees is good outdoor work weather! Chainsaws run like raped apes when it's chilly and I don't sweat as much.

My chainsaws refuse to start at temps above 80 degrees.

Or, maybe it's the guy pulling the string.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
As I gaze out upon the winter chill.......I have decided that I still don't like it!

To be specific, outside work stops at 30.99 degrees and below, doesn't resume until 32 degrees

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
To be specific, outside work stops at 30.99 degrees and below, doesn't resume until 32 degrees
Is that 88.8F? (asking for a Canadian friend)

Personally I'd support stopping all work when it hits 74F. That way everyone gets to enjoy the nice weather for a bit. If ya just gotta be out working in the cold, it just means ya gotta work a bit harder. Stopping just makes ya get cold, and if you're out working in cold weather, you should wanna hurry up anyways so you can get done quicker and get your butt back inside where it's warm.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Back-rubs, massages, and lots of freebies need to be worked into the union contracts of the usps workers! Heck, I hear if they get caught stealing they even get to keep their pensions unlike the UPS unions. All those gold coins you send and "disappear", guess why rates and bennies are going up so much?