• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Predicted Power Blackouts, EcoFlow units, etc.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
what is the battery for that and how many charging cycles is it rated for?
Another question?
What is the average lifespan of one of those units?
Would be great to have, but if you just put it in the garage... keep it charged up for emergency.
How long does the internal battery last before you have to replace??? OR buy another $1000 portable power supply?

As you can tell from the question, I know very little about the subject.
Love to learn more.
I recently received a jackery 290 and tried to charge it from my portable solar panel.
Something wasn't right with my setup and I eventually just charged the jackery with the house AC outlet.

Would like to get a stand alone solar setup for emergencies where I could recharge things and run some stuff off the sun.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Another question?
Would be great to have, but if you just put it in the garage... keep it charged up for emergency.
How long does the internal battery last before you have to replace??? OR buy another $1000 portable power supply?

Love to learn more.
I recently received a jackery 290 and tried to charge it from my portable solar panel.
Something wasn't right with my setup and I eventually just charged the jackery with the house AC outlet.

Would like to get a stand alone solar setup for emergencies where I could recharge things and run some stuff off the sun.

LiFePO4 batteries should not be stored at 100% charged state.

Around 50% is the target. They lose around 3% per month, so many people will charge to 60% and wait until battery is at 40% State of Charge (SOC) to recharge back to 60%. So around every 6 months, charge.

That is for storage.

If you are using them, then up to full charge, but they will last longer if you don’t let them drain down to zero. That is what they call a cycle. Grade A LifePO4 batteries can last up to 7-8000 cycles. So for many people, the age of batteries will be more of a factor than cycles. Theoretically, they could last over 20 years in the right environment. (Dry, mild temperatures).

If you have the capacity, no lower than 40% before recharge. But if you must, 20% is a good cut off.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Another question?

Love to learn more.

Ecoflow states their batteries will stay fully charged for 1 year and recommends you discharge them to 30% for longer term storage. If you keep them connected to panels and use them regularly they should last for years.

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
what is the battery for that and how many charging cycles is it rated for?
Hi Thecrensh,

Here is a video from YouTube that addresses that issue at the beginning couple minutes of the video. I don't know for sure if the unit being compared to the Pro unit is the same as SilverCity's, but this is the video (along with a couple of others posed above) that caused my wife and I to go whole-hog and buy the EcoFlow Pro unit.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I've got a box fan hooked up to the jackery 290 right now.
I charged the jackery a month back and was going to try it out mining, but it been crazy here and too hot.
I pulled it out of the box and it was still at 100% charge.
Was reading about not keeping it at 100% charge so I'll see what the box fan draws till we're off the peak hours of electric service... about another hour or so.

If I can do the when I come home and save on electric? ( recharge the jackery with solar) when needed?
That's a good start to doing some sort of off grid solar setup.

Last edited:

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
Ecoflow states their batteries will stay fully charged for 1 year and recommends you discharge them to 30% for longer term storage. If you keep them connected to panels and use them regularly they should last for years.
Hi Silver,

Can you give a link to that reference? I was reading on the DIY Solar Forum that it is not recommended to keep the batteries at full charge because it somehow degrades the batteries to keep them fully charged. So, either I'm missing something, or the two sources of information are in conflict. Let me see if I can find that reference...

Ah!...Found it... here it is (admittedly it is just someone who said he heard something from EcoFlow. But if anyone could flesh this out a bit better, I would sure appreciate it. I planned to use my unit the same way the fellow in the link below was planning--i.e. charge it up and store it for emergencies. Here is the link to the post on the DIY Solar Forum...

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
I've got a box fan hooked up to the jackery 290 right now.
I charged the jackery a month back and was going to try it out mining, but it been crazy here and too hot.
I pulled it out of the box and it was still at 100% charge.
Was reading about not keeping it at 100% charge so I'll see what the box fan draws till we're off the peak hours of electric service... about another hour or so.

If I can do the when I come home and save on electric ( recharge the jackery with solar when needed?
That's a good start to doing some sort of off grid solar setup.
Sounds like a lot of people are researching the same thing, rte! I've been researching solar panels, too, because if I can't keep it full, I'm going to have to have a couple of sources of power to charge the battery up other than from the grid. We currently have a 3000 watt propane generator, but during the last outage it took forever to find propane (our container leaks over time). Plus running cords from outside to inside in the middle of the night and disturbing the neighbors with the noise of a generator seemed like bad behavior.

Initially all my wife and I wanted to do was protect the food in our refrigerator and freezer, now this sounds like it's going to be a new hobby. Interesting, yes, but I really don't need another time sink right now.

Having like minded people here and elsewhere share their research is a great help in optimizing my research time. Thanks to everyone for all the information you've posted on this thread.

.......Willie

Reactions: rte

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Solar panels, unless you have a specific use and evidence it will work...are in most cases a waste of money.

They wear out. And they cost. And not enough to recover the cost of buying, installing, maintaining, removing, replacing them.

Of course if Uncle Sugar is picking up the tab...that's a little different. Insane, but different.

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
Solar panels, unless you have a specific use and evidence it will work...are in most cases a waste of money.

They wear out. And they cost. And not enough to recover the cost of buying, installing, maintaining, removing, replacing them.

Of course if Uncle Sugar is picking up the tab...that's a little different. Insane, but different.
You know, we pay them (expletive deleted) enough that getting a little back seems reasonable. Besides, I have a specific use--keeping my fridge/freezer from thawing out and ruining the food.

I admit this is getting out of hand a bit.

.......Willie

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You know, we pay them (expletive deleted) enough that getting a little back seems reasonable. Besides, I have a specific use--keeping my fridge/freezer from thawing out and ruining the food.

I admit this is getting out of hand a bit.

.......Willie
I agree, if the sugar tit is there, grab it and suck.

But I'm just saying, on a pure payout/return basis, it probably won't pay.

If the government is giving it to you...sure, get in line. You don't stop this criminality by becoming A-Superior-Person and refusing. You can make intelligent choices at the ballot box, even as you avail yourself of the stupidity of the criminals who are in, presently.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

It depends. Every State and utility company is different as far as selling back to the grid. But a typical system of 15kW is around 35 panels and RSD units. That can be had for ~$10,000. Now depending on your roof, racking another $4,000.

Wiring and an inverter, $8000.

If you can’t DIY, then labor? I’ll be generous, $5,000. Permits and inspection, $600. (Less for DIY).

So, let’s say $28,000.

Federal tax credit is 26%. So final cost around $21,000.

Don’t want to pay cash, take out a loan. For a no money down, I’ll use 7% (that is current, obviously it looks like loan rates will be increasing).

So for around $190/month, system will be paid off in 15 years. Again, depending on you energy company, you could drastically reduce or eliminate your electric bill. And after 15 year, beside not paying for electricity (or not much) there are no more loan payments. And electric rates increase, probably a lot with how things are going. So every year, the system becomes more and more valuable.

Panels lose around .5% per year, so in 30 years they are still producing ~80%. Want more power? Just add a few panels.

Biggest weak spot in my example is the inverter, obviouly a big expense if that fails after warranty. So for a little more upfront cost, many people are installing micro inverters on the panels instead of one or two large ones, that way if one fails, it is cheap to replace.

EDIT: This guy is in San Diego, so lot’s of sun and high electric cost, so it is probably a longer ROI in most other markets, but:

Last edited:

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Solar panels will last 25 years albeit at reduced capacity, but they are the CHEAPEST component of the system. I paid over 300 dollars for single 102w Evergreen from Affordable solar many years ago now they are 100 dollars apiece, smaller and MUCH lighter. (Anyone think they will still be alive in 25 years? I won't be.) $17,000 for all 18 100w panels, 2 EcoFlow 2000w batteries with 1 additional 1600w smart battery and of course the 1260w battery.

Battery Info Cell Chemistry Shelf Life Cycle Life-Delta 1300 NCM 1 year (after a full charge) 800 cycles to 80%+ capacity AC (x6)-Delta 1300 AC (x6)-Delta 1000 Pure Sine Wave, 1800W total (surge 3300W), 120V~ 60Hz Pure Sine Wave, 1600W total (surge 3100W), 120V~ 60Hz Environmental Operating Temperature Optimal Operating Temperature Discharge Temperature Charge Temperature Storage Temperature * Whether the product can be charged or discharged depends on the actual temperature of the battery pack. 68°F to 86°F -4°F to 113°F 32°F to 113°F -4°F to 113°F(optimal: 68°F to 86°F) Protection Cycle Life-Delta 1000 500 cycles to 80%+ capacity Over Voltage Protection, Overload Protection, Over Temperature Protection, Short Circuit Protection, Low Temperature Protection, Low Voltage Protection,

BTW, I AM NOT TALKING LIMITED USAGE, I AM TALKING PERMANENT GRID DOWN FOLLOWING LIMITED NUCLEAR ATTACKS, PERMANENT GRID DOWN, (AND THEY ARE COMING) FOLLOWED BY CHINESE OCCUPATION. NO SHIT. ANYONE IS WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE THIS IS BEING VERY FOOLISH, VERY NAIVE.

I recently bought panels that are bifacial as I live around 45 N latitude. Rated 460W with up to 25% increase from back side, so potential 575W (I know, will never see that much).

Cost per panel with RSD/Optimizer is $330 minus 26% Fed. Tax Credit = $244

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
I recently bought panels that are bifacial as I live around 45 N latitude. Rated 460W with up to 25% increase from back side, so potential 575W (I know, will never see that much).

Cost per panel with RSD/Optimizer is $330 minus 26% Fed. Tax Credit = $244
That sounds like a deal. I tried to research units like those, but couldn't find them. We're at about Latitude 47 N (Seattle area), but where we plan to put our units wouldn't support dual side panels.

What we need currently are some that can be set up temporarily to test the efficiency of our power unit. (The Eco Flow Delta Pro that's on its way to us.) That will start us on our learning curve. We have a house that frequently has some pretty harsh weather on the sunny SW side--mostly rain and wind. Almost all of the outages happen in those kinds of conditions.

So we need some pretty sturdy and bulletproof panels that ideally could be set up quickly using some sort of prop in the back to face the sun, and could also be held down with sandbags or bricks or something so they don't blow away or get damaged. Think of the weather of the deck of a cruise ship and you will be pretty close to the weather on our deck where we plan to place these for the afternoon sun. (Later we will install panels on a roof we plan to build over that deck, but it might be a year or two before that happens--meanwhile we will do some testing with various portable (and maybe some not-so-portable) solar panels.

I've seen some of these panels that are mounted on motorhomes, and they go down the road 70 mph in the pouring rain, so I know some exist that are weatherproof. If I have to build the kickstand myself, I could do that.

Any suggestions from anywhere would be highly welcome. Thanks in advance to anybody who posts some.

........Willie

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Yeah, he looks like the real deal. You don't get that many views and subscribers on YouTube unless you are doing something right--REALLY right in this case.

Thought this might interest you, a little about his background.

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
Thought this might interest you, a little about his background.

Thanks yet again Viking. I watched that video, and it was very enlightening. We have a "Class B" Motorhome we bought in 2013. It is a bit fancier than what Will was living in most of the time. His stuff might have been a bit larger--other than his VW Vanagon, but ours isn't run down for the most part. I have lived in the thing like two weeks max, but I've done that a lot of times, and it really sucks. Usually, however, we will drive somewhere like San Diego, San Francisco, the Canadian Rockies, Las Vegas, etc. for a conference, stay at the host hotel during the conference, and then hightail it back home--usually about 3 weeks total max. My longest was to Indianapolis, IN (from Seattle) and back. with a 5 day conference in the middle.

The bottom line is that while I've never HAD to live in a van, I can extrapolate from my wife's and my experiences and know what he went through, and believe me, he is a survivor.

BTW, the EcoFlow Pro unit has arrived, but we haven't opened it up yet. It looks like it was bounced here, so we want to document the unboxing with a video in case there is a problem. We don't want any blowback from the companies involved.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
BTW, the EcoFlow Pro unit has arrived, but we haven't opened it up yet. It looks like it was bounced here, so we want to document the unboxing with a video in case there is a problem. We don't want any blowback from the companies involved.

Sounds like a standard UPS delivery.
I'd like to see your results.
I'm looking at doing something similar.
Small off grid solar setup to offset peak energy hours.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I'd get this

Honda Power Equipment EU3000IS1AN 3000W 120V Portable Home Gas Power Generator​

$2,499.00

I'd want it to be gas and propane swapable
There seems to be alot on Utube on comparing Harbor Freight with Honda: Just Sayin'

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
They are predicting rolling blackouts in Indiana, yet I still see windmills setting idle and not spinning.
Cen. Ky. we are blessed with a lot of Hydro-Electric power. Not an issue here . Maybe in late August Drought & high heat conditions. Usually a dim out / blackout and right back on within a minute.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Cen. Ky. we are blessed with a lot of Hydro-Electric power. Not an issue here . Maybe in late August Drought & high heat conditions. Usually a dim out / blackout and right back on within a minute.
The collapse of the Grid won't be a passive event. And the Woketards are truly deranged.

They're burning down slaughterhouses and poisoning beef cattle, now. How much further is it to bomb a dam? Or many dams?

They really believe in Greta.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Thecrensh,

Here is a video from YouTube that addresses that issue at the beginning couple minutes of the video. I don't know for sure if the unit being compared to the Pro unit is the same as SilverCity's, but this is the video (along with a couple of others posed above) that caused my wife and I to go whole-hog and buy the EcoFlow Pro unit.

Interesting video...thank you for linking that. It gave me pause for getting the Jackery 1500. I'm rethinking everything now.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The collapse of the Grid won't be a passive event. And the Woketards are truly deranged.

They're burning down slaughterhouses and poisoning beef cattle, now. How much further is it to bomb a dam? Or many dams?

They really believe in Greta.
Seems they're getting braver.

Derailed a loaded coal train in Kansas.

For those who don't know...derailing a train is not easy. A loaded train has inertia and stability - the guys who trained me, came from the (bankrupt) Penn Central. They spoke of two-inch gaps in the mainline rail, from where edges at joints had broken. Pour the power on, to prevent slack action, and the train would just bounce over. Live to fight another day.

This must have been some undertaking. Pulling a rail out, or an IED, or some sort of wedge along the rail to walk cars off the tracks. PLUS...once it starts coming off, you don't know where it's going to go or how far. You can't be totally sure there's nothing explosive in the train, 20 cars back, unless you've scanned it. You don't know where it'll pile up, where the lading will go, or what's coming in the other direction on the opposite track.

All this to do an Antifa-style electricity-curtailment. Or, more likely, to get the Good FeeellllLLLLZ from thinking you're "stopping climate change" by interrupting coal shipments.

It'll use much more fossil fuels cleaning this mess up. And the cost will be reflected in shipping rates...paid by all.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
So convenient happening so close to a roadway too. Quick IN, Quick OUT.

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
Sounds like a standard UPS delivery.
I'd like to see your results.
I'm looking at doing something similar.
Small off grid solar setup to offset peak energy hours.
It was FedEx. The delivery driver didn't put in on our porch, he opted to put it in our front driveway behind a pillar but under a Trex deck above. In case you don't know, a Trex Deck is created by laying down trex plastic lumber with 6 mm or about 1/4" of spacing between each of the boards to allow the rain to dribble through. So instead of putting it on a dry covered porch, he put it where it would be rained on, and in addition he put it upside down, backwards of the delivery instructions of the arrow on the box! I'm a bit upset.

I'll try to report here once I start my experiments with the unit. We don't have peak hour billing here. We recently had smart meters installed in our city by Seattle City Light, though, so we are set up for that type of thing.

I'll try to keep things updated as I test it.

.....Willie

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I have a jackery 290.
I ran it down to 45% and was going to recharge it with a harbor freight suitcase type solar panel.
I did it once before at 87% and it worked to recharge quickly in a matter of a few hours.
The last time out was Saturday morning at around 10am.
It was only charging at 2w.
Used The supplied jackery power charge cable for cigarette adapter, hooked to the solar output.
12volt setting was giving 22volts at 2w or 1w.

Noticed sometimes it was at 0w charge?
The spring loaded end on the jackery cable wasn't spring loaded like before.
I pulled it apart figuring it was broken and I'd cut the end of for a different connection.

Managed to get it fixed and now spring loaded again.
Hooked it up to the power pack today at 4:30pm and it was charging at 2w.

As the sun started to set 1w and then 0w.
The stored power stayed at 45% this time... didn't change or charge anything.
(ASSUMING Not enough time in the good sun)

Totally New to the solar thing.
I'm ASSUMING that I'll need 400watts of solar panels to charge more quickly?

Here is what I found
This 100 watt suitcase from what I read is only a 13watt charger.
Had in my mind it was a 100watt ?
Hmmm,
Shouldn't it still charge the power pack at 13 watts an hour?
Or is that 13 watts a day?

Anyone got some YouTube recommendations?
I clearly don't get this yet.

Screenshot_20220620-192943.png

Last edited:

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
I have a jackery 290.
I ran it down to 45% and was going to recharge it with a harbor freight suitcase type solar panel.
I did it once before at 87% and it worked to recharge quickly in a matter of a few hours.
The last time out was Saturday morning at around 10am.
It was only charging at 2w.
Used The supplied jackery power charge cable for cigarette adapter, hooked to the solar output.
12volt setting was giving 22volts at 2w or 1w.

Noticed sometimes it was at 0w charge?
The spring loaded end on the jackery cable wasn't spring loaded like before.
I pulled it apart figuring it was broken and I'd cut the end of for a different connection.

Managed to get it fixed and now spring loaded again.
Hooked it up to the power pack today at 4:30pm and it was charging at 2w.

As the sun started to set 1w and then 0w.
The stored power stayed at 45% this time... didn't change or charge anything.
(ASSUMING Not enough time in the good sun)

Totally New to the solar thing.
I'm ASSUMING that I'll need 400watts of solar panels to charge more quickly?

Here is what I found
This 100 watt suitcase from what I read is only a 13watt charger.
Had in my mind it was a 100watt ?
Hmmm,
Shouldn't it still charge the power pack at 13 watts an hour?
Or is that 13 watts a day?

Anyone got some YouTube recommendations?
I clearly don't get this yet.

View attachment 264696
If you are trying to recharge anything with a 13 watt solar panel, you will probably be displeased. I think units of that size are more for charging your phone something small like that. I may not understand it completely, and I'm fully ready to be corrected, but if I do understand it correctly...

In order to get enough current to store to power a 100 watt light bulb for one hour, you would need to have a 13 watt panel running at peak--that is with perfect sun at the perfect angle--for about 8 hours. You usually won't get perfect sun or perfect anything.

I saw a video where a fellow was trying to keep his refrigerator running continuously with a EcoFlow Delta using 400 watts of solar--that is about 30 times what you have and it didn't work--he almost made it two days, but not quite.

We have ordered a 160 watt panel (13 times the size of yours) and we paid $300 and thought we were paying too much. (We got it because it matches our new EcoFlow Pro unit.)

Here is that video:

BTW: I think that Harbor Freight sells 100 watt panels for right around $100, and sometimes less due to a coupon deal. I think the unit you posted the coupon to is some sort of special use panel.

Again, I'm not sure about all of this myself. I hope others will chime in and correct what I've written, or validate what I've written. And, thanks in advance to anyone who does that.

.........Willie

Last edited:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
If you are trying to recharge anything with a 13 watt solar panel, you will probably be displeased. I think units of that size are more for charging your phone something small like that. I may not understand it completely, and I'm fully ready to be corrected, but if I do understand it correctly...

In order to get enough current to store to power a 100 watt light bulb for one hour, you would need to have a 13 watt panel running at peak--that is with perfect sun at the perfect angle--for about 8 hours. You usually won't get perfect sun or perfect anything.

I saw a video where a fellow was trying to keep his refrigerator running continuously with a EcoFlow Delta using 400 watts of solar--that is about 30 times what you have and it didn't work--he almost made it two days, but not quite.

We have ordered a 160 watt panel (13 times the size of yours) and we paid $300 and thought we were paying too much. (We got it because it matches our new EcoFlow Pro unit.)

Here is that video:

BTW: I think that Harbor Freight sells 100 watt panels for right around $100, and sometimes less due to a coupon deal. I think the unit you posted the coupon to is some sort of special use panel.

Again, I'm not sure about all of this myself. I hope others will chime in and correct what I've written, or validate what I've written. And, thanks in advance to anyone who does that.

.........Willie
From what I gathered so far, yes this 13watt panel is almost better than nothing.
It was bought for the convince of the suitcase design and thinking it would charge a battery out mining.

Home Depot has some renergy 100 watt on sale.
I may pick up one or two and give it a shot.
Screenshot_20220620-220827.png

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Might want to investigate buying used panels.

Here is one such store:

Obviously, try to find something close by unless you are buying a lot, as shipping may negate any savings.