• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Predicted Power Blackouts, EcoFlow units, etc.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
...i read all of these posts, reminding me of my excitement back in 2007 when i put together my home-solar system

i learned a lot and the first thing i learned was: They're Lying To Us

as a hobby, solar energy is a lot of fun, numbers to play with, everywhere

as a system to run our country off of? let me put it this way: if we treated solar systems like we treat driving, we'd have training classes we'd be able to attend, information and systems would be standardized and plug/play systems would be the normal

but here we've got a bunch of very high IQ people and i'm simply reminded about my excitement and ignorance that led me to spend hard earned money on a system, thinking it would work as 'advertised' while in reality, i ended up with a system that taught me to no longer believe anything about solar advertising ever again

for instance:
Don't Store a Fully Charged Battery, yet, i read these lithium batteries lose a bit of their charge over time, so, in a week, these batteries will no longer be in a Fully Charged State...can i store them then?

Run Times down to 10% battery charge left: I've read, lithium batteries don't like to go below a 20% state of charge yet these machines are clearly telling the consumer they're down to 10% battery charge left...so, which is it?

Lithium batteries are expected to last between 5 - 7 years, regardless of use, even a stored battery, they're predicting will eventually crap out at about 7 years they say

and the panel outputs? what do we have: 12v, 24v, 48v, 96v...and so on, systems aren't even matched across vendors but if you spec it right, you can find the parts to make it work...yet the efficiency makes me believe it's all a lie

...and i live in So Cal

Caveat Emptor, you can end up with more electronics you can't use than Carter's Got Pills and a large hole where you're fiat used to be

...they love that when we do that, go into debt, pay them and receive little / nothing in return

it helps their bottom line

be careful
You live in a place Solar makes the most sense. So. Cal. (My condolences)

Your electricity rates are high and you get a lot of solar radiation (sunshine).

You probably have a 5-6 year ROI.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
You live in a place Solar makes the most sense. So. Cal. (My condolences)

Your electricity rates are high and you get a lot of solar radiation (sunshine).

You probably have a 5-6 year ROI.
and that's what surprised me the most, charging ramps up to max output somewhere near 10am and then ramps down,beginning at about 3pm, i had nearly 1Kwh output, iirc and at one time 60+ deep cycle group 27 iirc truck batteries doing everything between going dry, dying and several of them exploded inside my custom made base, designed for such activity

(and clouds and fog will change the dynamics, along with rain days...the system can run down where it's not going to recharge for several days...gotta remember those details, the system is NOT on full charge output as long as you would believe it to be, test this out, search for the chart that will say the number of full sun days your area gets, now think of the days you don't and push some of them together, say, seven of them and picture yourself going through seven days of no output at all...some here know what i'm talking about - suggestion: plan for that too)

i ran my entertainment system inside the house, TV, a computer, surround sound, etc, i ran the refrigerator and a tool room and they all worked off of the batteries until 7pm in the winter and near 10pm in the summer

i couldn't turn any of them back on until after 10am but i did have a HD charger i had hooked up to keep the batteries charged, i had a 'mothers little helper'

yeah...No...my system will begin to come off of my roof sometime this summer, i'll patch the holes and off i go into the hobby world sized type of systems

i'm going to begin to break the system down into smaller groups and locate them around the property, see if i can get it pay for itself

the best i was able to save was about $50+dollars a month but for all the maintenance i had to do, that was all soon lost in replacement battery costs

that was when i learned 'they' have damn near the entire Wh pricing, from batteries to the grid, they have the pricing down to a science for them...they've mastered the ways to screw us on power costs

one last thing i've discovered: if you buy a house with the panels already attached, THAT'S WHERE TO GET THE DEAL

no initial upfront costs, you'll get the savings right out of the gate and if that house price included the cost of the system, think of it this way: you're spreading that cost over 30 years, you'll never even notice it

:green tea:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

I watched that video.
He says the tax credit you get is in the form of a check that you can use for anything or put in your bank.
I've NEVER heard of this and did some searching on Google.

I found out a tax credit lowers your tax bill for that year only, but doesn't give you the money as a check to do what you want with.
Guess that is strike one with this guy.
I'll keep watching.
ANYONE get a check in hand after they went solar?

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
ANYONE get a check in hand after they went solar?
I believe not. The tax credit can be carried forward to future years until exhausted, but it is not a "refundable" tax credit. I have a few issues with this presentation that looks to me like it's based on best case happenings that won't happen. The video is dated by the mention of the 30% federal tax credit, which went down to 26% at the end of 2019. He claims that the San Diego power bills have gone up by an average of 7.9% per year for the last 24 years. I don't see how this could possibly be correct. If it is, I'll accept my foot in my mouth. He then projects that the bills will increase by at least 6% per year for the next 30 years. I say hogwash on this unless we experience a financial system crash, which wouldn't shock me. As a counter example, when I first installed a PV system a bit over 10 years ago, I calculated the payback period based on an assumed future increase in the power bill. What actually happened is the per kWh cost for my service has been flat over the whole darned 10+ years. The number of breakeven years is now about 20 instead of the projected 10 or so. It's even worse if I figure in some interest on the money before they drove interest rates to zero. Just one example of how the projections can go wrong. Another wild card that wasn't around when the video was made is the California PUC proposal to add an $8 per kW per month grid usage fee. It's not in effect yet due to fierce opposition. But if adopted, somebody with an 8 kW system will have to pay a fee of $64 a month, $768 per year. This would destroy all of the payback projections, and combined with reduced power buyback rates, could make some solar systems a net financial liability. The proposal grandfathers existing systems from the fee for a number of years, but not even close the 30 year projections in the video. One opinion of the breakeven impact is in this article: https://www.utilitydive.com/news/ca...-on-nem-proposal-until-further-notice/617836/
"While the final structure of the net energy metering proposal may be in flux, the current version would more than double the payback period of solar projects"

As a general rule, you can't count on anything the government has its fingers in.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I believe not. The tax credit can be carried forward to future years until exhausted, but it is not a "refundable" tax credit. I have a few issues with this presentation that looks to me like it's based on best case happenings that won't happen. The video is dated by the mention of the 30% federal tax credit, which went down to 26% at the end of 2019. He claims that the San Diego power bills have gone up by an average of 7.9% per year for the last 24 years. I don't see how this could possibly be correct. If it is, I'll accept my foot in my mouth. He then projects that the bills will increase by at least 6% per year for the next 30 years. I say hogwash on this unless we experience a financial system crash, which wouldn't shock me. As a counter example, when I first installed a PV system a bit over 10 years ago, I calculated the payback period based on an assumed future increase in the power bill. What actually happened is the per kWh cost for my service has been flat over the whole darned 10+ years. The number of breakeven years is now about 20 instead of the projected 10 or so. It's even worse if I figure in some interest on the money before they drove interest rates to zero. Just one example of how the projections can go wrong. Another wild card that wasn't around when the video was made is the California PUC proposal to add an $8 per kW per month grid usage fee. It's not in effect yet due to fierce opposition. But if adopted, somebody with an 8 kW system will have to pay a fee of $64 a month, $768 per year. This would destroy all of the payback projections, and combined with reduced power buyback rates, could make some solar systems a net financial liability. The proposal grandfathers existing systems from the fee for a number of years, but not even close the 30 year projections in the video. One opinion of the breakeven impact is in this article: https://www.utilitydive.com/news/ca...-on-nem-proposal-until-further-notice/617836/
"While the final structure of the net energy metering proposal may be in flux, the current version would more than double the payback period of solar projects"

As a general rule, you can't count on anything the government has its fingers in.
As a slight deviation from the topic...I'd submit one solar-panel-convertee's experience.

James Howard Kunstler.

This summer’s weather is perfect now in the Hudson Valley: warm, sunny days for primping the garden and cool nights that invite deep sleep. Zucchini and cukes are coming on, along with currants, gooseberries, blueberries. Unseen underground, the potatoes swell. The chickens range happily over their daily smorgasbord of bugs. At midnight, fireflies blink in the orchard. On the human side, though — commerce, culture, and politics — nothing works. At least not here in America. Sigh….

The solar electric I installed on the house nine years ago is down. It’s supposed to feed that monster called the grid. Since April, I noticed that the electric bill is creeping up way beyond the usual seventeen bucks that the electric company charges home solar producers for the privilege of feeding their system — which, let’s face it, has a downside for them because the intermittency of so-called alt-energy disorders their operations.

It’s counter-intuitive. Many people, I’m sure, assume that the more solar units feeding the grid, the better. Strangely, not so. Electric companies work much better when the production and flow of current is absolutely predictable and under their control — like, when they decide to fire up the natgas on generator number three or tune down the hydro turbines. It’s much harder to run the system with little dribs and drabs of electricity trickling in from hither and yon. But alt-energy is good PR for the government, so they do whatever they can to promote or even compel its use.

I got a whopping folio of tax breaks and subsidies from the state and federal government when I decided to put solar electric on my house in 2013, though it finally still cost a lot: $35-K. I had intimations of living through a chaotic period of history, and the decision was consistent with my general theory of history, which is that things happen because they seem like a good idea at the time. Getting a home solar electric rig seemed like a good idea.

So, last week, after considerable hassle with my solar company setting up an appointment for a techie to visit and evaluate the problem here, the guy came up (at $150-an-hour) and informed me that my charge controller was shot. The charge controller processes all those chaotic watts coming from the solar panels on the roof into an orderly parade of electrons. He also told me that my back-up batteries — for running critical loads like the well-pump during grid outages — were at the end of their design life. Subtext: you have to get new batteries.

There are four big ones in a cabinet under the blown charge controller and the inverter (for turning direct current into alternating current that is the standard for running things). The techie had some bad news, though. New building codes forbid his company from replacing the kind of batteries I have, which are standard “sealed cell” lead-acid batteries. Some bullshit about off-gassing flammable fumes. Now the government requires lithium batteries, which would cost me sixteen-thousand dollars ($16-K) more to replace than new lead-acid batteries.

Now, it’s theoretically possible for me to replace the less-expensive lead-acid batteries — they’re still manufactured and sold — but the catch is: I’m on my own getting them and installing them. I’m in the middle of that learning-curve right now. These particular batteries cost about $850-each for the four of them, plus a hefty charge for “drop-shipping” about three hundred pounds of lead and plastic. I will almost certainly go that way, though. A new charge controller will run about $2-K. All together, replacing these components represents a big chunk of change.

At the risk of sounding like some kind of pussy, I confess that this whole business of repairing my solar electric system has put me into a welter of anxiety and fury. I am trapped in the cage of sunk costs, a.k.a. the psychology of previous investment. Not only do I have $35-K (in higher-value 2013 dollars!) tied up in all this equipment — the solar panels themselves, the wall of electronic devices, the conduit, control panels, and digital read-outs — but now I have to dump thousands more into it after only nine years. It pisses me off because I should have known better. I walked with eyes wide shut into the pit of techno-narcissism.

The hyper-complexity of a home solar-electric system is extreme. There are hundreds of little integrated components that can blow, all of it adding up to a case of guaranteed fragility. There are no easy fixes or duct-tape work-arounds for any of it. I can’t make any replacement parts in my garage. They come from faraway factories via supply lines that get sketchier every day on trucks that don’t operate profitably at $6.50-a-gallon diesel fuel.

In a low-grade epiphany while going through this ordeal last week, I realized that back in 2013, instead of getting the solar electric system, I could have bought the Rolls Royce of home generators and buried a 500-gallon fuel tank outside the garage, and had a manual water pump piggy-backed onto the well, and maybe even purchased a fine, wood-fired cookstove — and had enough money left over for a two-week vacation in the South-of-France. Silly me.

Of course, these travails with my home solar electric system are a metaphor for the complexity and fragility that is, all of a sudden this year, causing the operations of Western Civ to fly to pieces. My investment in solar was as dumb as what the entire nation of Germany did in attempting to run itself on “green energy.” (Not to mention their more recent dumb-ass decision to forego imports of Russian natgas in order to please the geniuses at Tony Blinken’s State Department, the dumb bunnies.)

Of course, even when I get the solar electric back up-and-running again, something else is sure to go wrong. And in another ten years, the solar panels will be at least half-dead. So, if you’re reading this personal lamentation, consider bending toward simplicity. Wish I had.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
...... my charge controller was shot....... my back-up batteries...... were at the end of their design life.

My charge controller (Outback FM80) has been singing and humming for a couple of years, so if it goes belly up I won't be shocked. My first set of lead acid batts went totally dead, and the 2nd set is getting weak. Lucky for me, my battery stack isn't as extensive as yours. Naturally the payback and breakeven calcs don't include any maintenance expense. The big value for me is the most-of-house UPS. When the power glitches or goes out the computers, TVs, and other stuff don't know that anything happened. Better than with a generator where everything would go dark for a short time. Perhaps the best setup is a small battery backed up by a generator that kicks in when the battery is discharged.

Stinger

Reaction score
Why bother with any of this survival nonsense? The only practical solution to today's: plandemics, contrived starvation events, and orchestrated rolling power outages is to simply lock yourself inside of your home, close all the windows and doors, and go to your bedroom, lie down on the bed, be a 'good citizen' and just plain let yourself die.

Don't think this is 'good advice'? Well according to one person who has worked with FEMA in the past and should know, here is a recently published list of things the FEMA regulators are going to be removing from YOUR PROPERTY when they patrol through your neighborhood during one of their compliance inspections. (Ready?)

Private Property Disallowed To Civilians By FEMA Regulations

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That's why Secession was a better solution than going John Rambo.

Was. It's looking to me like that opportunity is lost. Now, the Central Imperial government is out of control and is disbursing its irregular occupiers everywhere. Secession via geographic regions won't work. Next come the pacification and mop-up crews.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's why Secession was a better solution than going John Rambo.

Was. It's looking to me like that opportunity is lost. Now, the Central Imperial government is out of control and is disbursing its irregular occupiers everywhere. Secession via geographic regions won't work. Next come the pacification and mop-up crews.
I'm thinking that Secession will lead to a shooting war by the Federal govt and the UN. They'd make pretty quick work of say, Arkansas and it would get nasty pretty quickly.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm thinking that Secession will lead to a shooting war by the Federal govt and the UN. They'd make pretty quick work of say, Arkansas and it would get nasty pretty quickly.
IF the FedGov chooses not to accept it.

Will they have the resources, with the debt; with public support below 20 percent; with the sick, drawn-down troops?

IF they bluster and call a war, will they actually be able to follow through?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I've been following this pricing and it has come DOWN $400 since the beginning of July...

Call me when four panels can keep a 3 bedroom house, the refrigerator, electric oven, Water Heater, A/C, TVs, Computer, Modem, and printer running with the lights ON and Popcorn going in the microwave all at the same time.
Then that system will be of value.
:popcorn::computer:

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
I've been following this pricing and it has come DOWN $400 since the beginning of July...

That looks like a decent unit. If you get the main unit without the solar panels you can get it (Amazon) for about half the price of the EcoFlow units we purchased and it stores about half the power. I think the solar panel add on adds a little too much to the cost. We purchased over priced portable panels when we bought our storage units, too, so who am I to criticize. We still haven't tried the solar panels out, btw.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to get the main unit separately and get the panels elsewhere, but if you are like us we just wanted panels from the same company to make sure they would work. Since then I've learned a bit more and most solar panels will work with most storage units.

One thing we've looked at is getting the new "Tiny" Bluetti EB3A unit that will run an efficient refrigerator about 4 hours so we can drive somewhere where we can charge the larger EcoFlow units that will run the same refrigerator for 54 hours. We are holding off for a little bit because the new tiny unit's display panel is much nicer than the slightly larger units and we're hoping they will update those units to the better display. We'd rather have something that would last 10 hours or so.

The unit in your link looks like it already has a fairly nice display.

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

It's been a while again. RL has been a bear lately.

Not too much to update. Except that I was very glad with our purchase when we had an outage recently. It took about 1/10th the time to hook up the EcoFlow units than it did to connect our RV generator like the time before. Maybe even as low a 5% of the time. Plus we didn't disturb the entire neighborhood with the noise.

Still learning about this solar stuff, but it is something fun and new. I recently bought a cheap solar panes from, of all places, Harbor Freight. <$100 for a 100 watt panel. We'll see if I can get it to work.

Back to RL...

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
last night, our local power companys says, they'll pay anyone who "save's" power during the hours of 4pm to 9 pm

so, my wife and I decided to 'give it a go' and since i've been obsessed with my 20v lithium battery packs that i recently transformed into a plethora of 'worthless' stuff, we figured we could try some of it out and I added: Let's just turn the main off

we spoke about the refrigerator, keep it closed for 5 hours: No Big Deal
the water still runs and all we really needed was lighting, so, approx 5 minutes ahead of schedule, i flipped the main

we used two lights, didn't need to charge usb or anything, we had two personal fans going, battery operated...things were o.k., relative to what we were doing until my wife needed to bring her recliner back to the upright position...no power...oops

so, i pulled up a small 12 volt battery i had adapted for a 110v inverter, a few moments of connecting my pre-made, plug equipped terminals, that chair was working well for the rest of the night

there's not much to report, my wife looked at the chart / graph and we were OUT during that time, no chart reference at all

so, we should get a credit on our statement, and there's a formula that basis any 'credit' on what our past usage was for those 5 hours but i asked my wife, pointed this out:
If we're at Zero, right now, aren't we working our way towards a lesser 'credit' every time as our Average is dropping like a rock?

she said she'd call them today to ask about that along with a few other questions she has...

who knows, this could be better than getting solar as i have literally no additional costs involved as i'm one of those guys who makes shit for shit that probably will never happen and i've got a nice selection of shit to choose from to help ease any 'discomfort' as they pay me for not using their product

...sounds like it's too good to be true

idk yet...

but at 5 minutes past 9 o'clock, i flipped the main back on and fired up the computers

and then went to bed...

:LOL

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
last night, our local power companys says, they'll pay anyone who "save's" power during the hours of 4pm to 9 pm

so, my wife and I decided to 'give it a go' and since i've been obsessed with my 20v lithium battery packs that i recently transformed into a plethora of 'worthless' stuff, we figured we could try some of it out and I added: Let's just turn the main off

we spoke about the refrigerator, keep it closed for 5 hours: No Big Deal
the water still runs and all we really needed was lighting, so, approx 5 minutes ahead of schedule, i flipped the main

we used two lights, didn't need to charge usb or anything, we had two personal fans going, battery operated...things were o.k., relative to what we were doing until my wife needed to bring her recliner back to the upright position...no power...oops

so, i pulled up a small 12 volt battery i had adapted for a 110v inverter, a few moments of connecting my pre-made, plug equipped terminals, that chair was working well for the rest of the night

there's not much to report, my wife looked at the chart / graph and we were OUT during that time, no chart reference at all

so, we should get a credit on our statement, and there's a formula that basis any 'credit' on what our past usage was for those 5 hours but i asked my wife, pointed this out:
If we're at Zero, right now, aren't we working our way towards a lesser 'credit' every time as our Average is dropping like a rock?

she said she'd call them today to ask about that along with a few other questions she has...

who knows, this could be better than getting solar as i have literally no additional costs involved as i'm one of those guys who makes shit for shit that probably will never happen and i've got a nice selection of shit to choose from to help ease any 'discomfort' as they pay me for not using their product

...sounds like it's too good to be true

idk yet...

but at 5 minutes past 9 o'clock, i flipped the main back on and fired up the computers

and then went to bed...

:LOL
Nice I'd love a solar system set up and possibly get off the grid for periods of time in the interest of saving money and resources.
My biggest hold up is I don't want to spend the outlay money to give it a go.
I'd really consider making a run at a solar setup if I won the lottery.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
How many flips til that expensive main breaker well breaks?

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
My better half said something about an incoming solar occurrence?
Wants me to charge up the small jackery 290 that I got cheap and start up the generator that's been sitting for the last couple months.
I'll plug in the solar panel to the jackery and see how long it takes to charge up a bit.
Have a folding solar panel and it's really small for charging up anything more then phones and such.
(Just checked 13 watts)
Yeah a tick over nothing.
I'd like to get 500 watts of panels AGAIN cheap.

Wish I would have been around when the house down the street sold in foreclosure.
A few months afterwards someone removed the solar system that was installed less then 6 months on that place...may have been able to get a smoking deal on those used parts??
I've got a sneaking hunch that a realtor along the line removed them without the banks knowledge.

Last edited:

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
My better half said something about an incoming solar occurrence?
Wants me to charge up the small jackery 290 that I got cheap and start up the generator that's been sitting for the last couple months.
I'll plug in the solar panel to the jackery and see how long it takes to charge up a bit.
Have a folding solar panel and it's really small for charging up anything more then phones and such.
(Just checked 13 watts)
Yeah a tick over nothing.
I'd like to get 500 watts of panels AGAIN cheap.

Wish I would have been around when the house down the street sold in foreclosure.
A few months afterwards someone removed the solar system that was installed less then 6 months on that place...may have been able to get a smoking deal on those used parts??
I've got a sneaking hunch that a realtor along the line removed them without the banks knowledge.

Here is one outfit where a lot of DIYer get used panels: https://store.santansolar.com/produ...6.1842874578.1662164486-1982967063.1661701335

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Thanks.
I looked around and put 500 watts of panels in the cart, BUT it wouldn't let me figure the shipping costs untill I fully checked out.
With shipping and the tax....I could almost get the same deal locally at home Depot for renergy? Panels.
I'll look around this labor day for a sale maybe even at harbor freight and see if they have a coupon.
I'd like to try a couple 100watt panels to start.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i'm one of those guys who makes shit for shit that probably will never happen and i've got a nice selection of shit to choose from to help ease any 'discomfort' as they pay me for not using their product
Just don't lose your "shit".
:2 thumbs up:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Thanks.
I looked around and put 500 watts of panels in the cart, BUT it wouldn't let me figure the shipping costs untill I fully checked out.
With shipping and the tax....I could almost get the same deal locally at home Depot for renergy? Panels.
I'll look around this labor day for a sale maybe even at harbor freight and see if they have a coupon.
Some things I know little about is when I go to Harbor Freight. I don't feel as bad if my rookie-ass screws one of those products up. ;)

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Nice I'd love a solar system set up and possibly get off the grid for periods of time in the interest of saving money and resources.
My biggest hold up is I don't want to spend the outlay money to give it a go.
I'd really consider making a run at a solar setup if I won the lottery.
yeah, not me as i've already done that, nearly a KWh and 60 batteries and multiple replacement batteries, two battery explosions, water level maintenance...

it's not just a wash, it's a loss as i never made my moneys worth, back

and i wasn't going to radically change my life to accommodate my systems weakness'
How many flips til that expensive main breaker well breaks?
what you talking about willis? as long as my local big box has mains, i'm good to go...besides, i might have a spare around here somewhere, i've got a collection of cb's...eh, maybe i'll find it one day
Thanks.
500 watts won't operate a toaster

be very careful if you're thinking of 'large scale'

here's what you do...go to HF and buy one of their sets, buy a truck deep cycle battery, try the system out FIRST

EVENTUALLY, you'll want to upgrade a bit, so, you'll want to buy a PURE SINE WAVE inverter and maybe one more battery...do some reading on those inverters, there are liars who are selling modified sine wave as pure sine wave, stick with some type of 'better reviews', buy, at a minimum: 800 watt inverter, be certain it peaks at 1600, not at the 800 BUT, if they are lying in their ad, and it peaks at 800 watts, at least you'll be able to run your toaster and probably your refrigerator...

you'll have two batteries, a solar array and a much better inverter

run cabling as necessary to your point of use, then test it out for a while BEFORE upgrading further

solar is o.k. for small projects, but what you'll find, if you abuse your stuff like i do, you'll find, the batteries take a lot longer to charge than you would imagine...a lot longer than you would like

it's not difficult to take that battery voltage down deep, 9v, 10v...but it's gonna take a day, maybe two to put all those amps back into it from that low output solar array and most people aren't ready for that aspect

it's a hobby thing that has practical applications but it's not the technology we've been told it is...not at all

CAVEAT EMPTOR

says the guy with diy experience, only trying to help where i can

:summer:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
well, we did it again, last night...and will do it again, tonight, cut the power for 5 hours...

i've got one mini fridge, i'm gonna put a freezer pack or two in it for tonights action, the large fridge remained cold because it's full of everything else... the house and accessories don't seem to mind the act of 'going cold' their recovery seems to be fine, i do turn the fridges off first, the computers and router get switched off, individually

things are going o.k. with our program and my wife spoke with a representative of the power company yesterday and they weren't any help at all as they didn't have answers to our questions and basically said we'd have to wait until our next bill arrives...but that chart they make available for our address showed a 'dead line' during their peak-charge hours...and they're gonna pay us for having that 'dead line', but they just don't know how much they're gonna pay us...

common core math problem...we're gonna get what we get, and for that, we're just gonna have to be grateful

my toys are functioning flawlessly but beyond the inverter set i made, all we're relying on is a few flashlights and a few tool battery powered room lights

i can smell the Free Silver coming my way Boys....

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Naw, That's the gas coming from your Gov.'s Azz. He's full of it and shit too.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
well, we did it again, last night...and will do it again, tonight, cut the power for 5 hours...

i've got one mini fridge, i'm gonna put a freezer pack or two in it for tonights action, the large fridge remained cold because it's full of everything else... the house and accessories don't seem to mind the act of 'going cold' their recovery seems to be fine, i do turn the fridges off first, the computers and router get switched off, individually

things are going o.k. with our program and my wife spoke with a representative of the power company yesterday and they weren't any help at all as they didn't have answers to our questions and basically said we'd have to wait until our next bill arrives...but that chart they make available for our address showed a 'dead line' during their peak-charge hours...and they're gonna pay us for having that 'dead line', but they just don't know how much they're gonna pay us...

common core math problem...we're gonna get what we get, and for that, we're just gonna have to be grateful

my toys are functioning flawlessly but beyond the inverter set i made, all we're relying on is a few flashlights and a few tool battery powered room lights

Buck sounds like a fun exercise.
Hopefully it nets a few shekles of silver.
We here are on peak from 4-7 where the pre KW price doubles.
We try to shut the place down for as long as possible in that time range.
Mainly just turn up the AC and run the fans.
In The three hour span the AC is off the temp still climbs up about 7 degrees.
2/3 degrees on average is normal.

I have an evaporative cooler that I could run from 4-7 that I could probably run off solar, but with the humidity it wouldn't cool efficiently.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I guess I’m thinking if you save $5 in electric but after a few month have to replace a $150 main breaker, is it really worth it?

Maybe install some switches on the circuits that are constant draws that you can turn off instead? Just thinking out loud….I’m sure water heater is a biggie…perhaps install a timer switch on it?

Last edited:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I guess I’m thinking if you save $5 in electric but after a few month have to replace a $150 main breaker, is it really worth it?

Maybe install some switches on the circuits that are constant draws that you can turn off instead? Just thinking out loud….I’m sure water heater is a biggie…perhaps install a timer switch on it?
where are you buying your main breakers from again?

about $60 right now at HD

awwwwww......come on man, my chains longer than that...it's just a double switch where my fingers fit precisely across whatever they're touching and a quick 'flip of the wrist'

with little / no amps going through anyways...there's not even a spark to watch (kinda disappointing, but you should see the kitchen switch...yeah, i gotta replace that one)

but i will add: my ideas have 'expanded' a bit and rather than go in and switch everything, i'm going to build out inverter boxes for my computers, fridge and one other component, perhaps so the wife is happy, the TV...yeah, that's the ticket...

i've figured out that would cost me the least and my maintenance would be cheap and when the grid collapses, i've got choices beyond my recently upgraded to multi-fuel use 3000w generator (that sucker is over 15 years old, from HF for less than $300 and it's rarely been used, stored for damn near it's entire life)

which reminds me: if you are gonna need it between now and about 5 - 10 years from now (that's a long projection...) buy it now, while it's still available as no one knows what's gonna happen once those chinese factories begin working overtime to produce christmas shit that may not reach our shores until after christmas...everything else, that's low on inventory, right now, is probably gonna get harder to get as time rolls on...and it's gonna get pricier as we move along

...maybe i should double check to see i have that spare set of main's...

:green tea:

ps

my water heater is natural gas TG

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
When I searched THD online they show ~$106-$270 for a new 200 amp main breaker. I’m sure they‘ll keep getting more expensive too.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
When I searched THD online they show ~$106-$270 for a new 200 amp main breaker. I’m sure they‘ll keep getting more expensive too.
i get it...but why are you doing this?

here...

1662403038496.png

$64.00

i could go get 13 of them, right now

and this isn't the cheapest one...iirc, $59 for a set, just like this one, but from GE, but i'd have to have it delivered in two days...another for $80 and i can walk out with 15 of them, today, right now

...that's not my point but, there we go...must be harder to get them into the local city near you...idk

but hey, it's Monday and I survived another night of interruption last night only i did it a bit differently...i know what zero looks like so, we left the mains on but turned the few items off that we normally keep running except:
the fridge remained powered up, turned on, and i needed the computer for about 30 minutes worth of work that i couldn't do at any other time...then finished and turned the computer off but left the fridge on, the entertainment system powered up but turned off...

we're curious how much power that 'little bit' required...

so far, the on-line site shows us as having nearly a $100 dollar credit, but since i'm not a believer until i see my bill, i've got about two weeks to wait for that to arrive, it's all an interesting ride that under any other situation, we'd probably not be doing, so, there's a learning curve to it all

and it's now become 'monotonis' and newer patterns are developing..idk, maybe i'll become a better person but, i'm kinda doubting that

we'll see but, yes, i'm getting paid to not use electricity...ohhhh boyyyy

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's coming, and yes I do find some humor in this. However you would think that the dumb mother F'ckers that live in the state of Cali, would finally pull their god damned heads out of their asses. I do have some empathy to the conservatives in the state, as we in MN are at the mercy of the liberal cabal in St. Paul and Minneapolis, makes me want to puke.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Why bother with any of this survival nonsense? The only practical solution to today's: plandemics, contrived starvation events, and orchestrated rolling power outages is to simply lock yourself inside of your home, close all the windows and doors, and go to your bedroom, lie down on the bed, be a 'good citizen' and just plain let yourself die.

Don't think this is 'good advice'? Well according to one person who has worked with FEMA in the past and should know, here is a recently published list of things the FEMA regulators are going to be removing from YOUR PROPERTY when they patrol through your neighborhood during one of their compliance inspections. (Ready?)

Private Property Disallowed To Civilians By FEMA Regulations

LMBO. μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited:

WQFTruckster

Jolliest asshole this side of the nuthouse
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
For those that are knowledgeable about this stuff, at what point does it make more sense to go with a whole home generator (e.g. Generac) with a large propane tank vs battery banks and solar panels? Assuming we are talking just dealing with rolling blackouts and occasional storm outages, not living off-grid or extended grid-down scenarios. Solar in general seems like a lot of futzing with stuff and the costs don't seem that far off from a generac.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I've had solar for over 10 years and you are correct about the futzing. It's not daily, but takes more on average than the generator on average. I think the better choice for the occasional outages depends on your priorities. The solar system will power only part of the house and the switchover is seamless. When the power glitches or goes out, we're usually not aware until a neighbor calls to ask if our power is out. With the generator, everything will go out for a few seconds, then everything will come back on again. You can run the high draw items like heat pump, washer, dryer, etc., but all of your computers and other electronics will have rudely shut down. For extended grid down I'd be answering differently.

WQFTruckster

Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Seamless transition is a nice touch, but the computer issue can be handled with a decent UPS. At the moment my routine is--power goes out, wait for a while to see if it comes back on or if it's worth going to the shed, dragging the portable gen out, hooking it up to the panel, filling with gas, and hoping it starts.

WQFTruckster

Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Also, being able to run A/C would be nice in FL. Especially since the hurricanes usually come through around August.