• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Prepping for Covid19

GoldenPoet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Over the rainbow, at the end of the earth, on a di
Started out slowly a few weeks ago, but I decided to make a list of all my food preps and dismayed to see
I have only one month fruit, two of veggies, four months of grains. After august I will be subsisting on
protein and sugar. Off to load up on canned veggies and getting out the dehydrator to dry up some
broccoli, tomatoes etc..
Anyone else prepping for the Covid19? How?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Water.

Don't forget it. Since I live in Hurricane Alley, prep for power loss is important; so we have a blue 55-gal drinking water barrel with hand pump***

For people with no power to run well water, an emergency technique is to lower a PVC pipe down the larger well pipe. The lowered pipe is secured at the top by a rope, and has the bottom closed off. It fills up, and you haul it out.

***When you first fill your container with water, add bleach. The "dosage", BTW, is: 1/8 Tsp Chlorox per gallon of water. We've worked it out to 7 Tsp for 55 gallons. Put the bleach in after some water has been put in the barrel. This does two things: It temporarily concentrates the shallow bleach in the area most likely to have any contaminants at all, and it ensures the bleach is distributed evenly when the barrel is full.

Last edited:

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Water.

Don't forget it. Since I live in Hurricane Alley, prep for power loss is important; so we have a blue 55-gal drinking water barrel with hand pump.

For people with no power to run well water, an emergency technique is to lower a PVC pipe down the larger well pipe. The lowered pipe is secured at the top by a rope, and has the bottom closed off. It fills up, and you haul it out.
Well Bucket Plans:

https://preparednessadvice.com/well/make-your-own-deep-well-bucket/

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Nice to see you GP. :).
Garden season is approaching and I have plenty of seed on hand. Grlic is already in of course. I'll be popping peppers seed soon and tomatoes right behind that.
I've got years worth of bean protein stored up but I do need some TP.. If this thing goes past the spring I'd be surprised but if it really takes off then I'll set up lights in the house to grow veggies through the winter.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The most valuable things in life are those things without which you would die most quickly. In order:

1. Breathable Air
2. Clean Water
3. Food
4. Energy (cooking / heating)
5. Shelter
6. Defensive Weapon

BREATHABLE AIR
The medical profession believes that N95 masks do offer protection if you suspect you might be around someone with the virus. The rule of thumb I have heard is that it is best to maintain a 2 meter distance from anyone suspected of carrying the infection. Even though N95 masks are "disposable", I intend to save used masks, sterilize them, and reuse if necessary. In case of infection, consider purchasing an oxygen concentrator. You might find yourself in a situation where you have to give yourself (or a family member) oxygen therapy.

CLEAN WATER
I recommend Berkey. https://www.berkeyfilters.com/ I am blessed to have a good well with clean water and plenty of it.

FOOD
We are buying extra each week to build up our reserves for a 90 day supply. Focusing on shelf stable products (like rice, dry beans, canned tuna, almond milk, etc.). We have a lot of protein in the woods around us. Also remembering to rotate stock so it doesn't spoil. I was thinking yesterday about drawing up a ration plan based upon minimum caloric needs for each one in our family. One other thing I will throw in under "food"... medicine. We have stockpiled expectorant and fever reducer. The situation may be so grim that professional medical treatment is not available.

ENERGY
I have two 100 lb propane tanks and three grill size. All are full and at the ready. Besides the grill, I can connect to my garage heater or basement heater. We have a 6500w generator wired to the house, and some gasoline ready. Firewood pile is getting small, so I need to work on that.

SHELTER
Weather appropriate clothing (depending on your climate). Your domicile should be securable. We are closer than we have ever been to a zombie revolt. Americans have never had to face the prospect of going without a meal. Wait until they haven't eaten for a few days.

DEFENSIVE WEAPON
I prefer to have more than one. Remember that it is just a chunk of steel if you don't have brass to feed it.

Here are some other considerations....

1. How are you going to handle your mail and package deliveries?
2. Are you able to do all of your banking and bill paying online?
3. Can you clearly communicate to friends and family your quarantine expectations and expect them to abide by them?
4. Are you ready to homeschool your kids?
5. Can you work from home? (How do you prepare your employer to accept your quarantine plan?)
6. Will you help friends and family who become infected? (How can you do this and maintain the safety of your household?)
7. How will you handle a situation where someone in your home has become infected?
8. As the situation grinds on are you prepared to adjust with the changing of the seasons? (How does prepping look different in the summer vs. winter?)

Last edited:

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks for the list SLV. Mrs. Old's mom has Lewy body dementia, and I've already told her that it might be best to bringi her here since the assisted living facility will be a nightmare if this hits hard. Might be a good excuse for her take take a leave of absence (she is a teacher) to "take care of her mother." Baby Old is eight but taking her out to "homeschool" is not a problem since I work for myself. God help us all.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There is also an emergency water bladder that fits in your bathtub for emergency storage purposes...

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There is also an emergency water bladder that fits in your bathtub for emergency storage purposes...

I gots one of those. They work beautifully, but are a PITA to empty out and put away (ain't no plug on the bottom). Worth it, though.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

GoldenPoet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Unca Walt - oh yea, glad you brought up water. I looked at some huge plastic trash bins yesterday and wondered if I should buy them to fill with water. Already got a berkey, but could use new berkey filters by now.

Cigarlover - Hugs back atcha. Me and my guy still in Vallarta, same ole place on the river. Growing indoors sounds like a good idea for keeping animals and zombies from nibbling. I might hang a fishermans net on my sunroom, deck it out with plastic bottles and grow herbs and sprouts indoors.

SLV thanks for the organized list..
Well Im downwind on a riverbank from virgin sierra madre breezes so good to go on that but I would love an oxygen machine.
I'm wondering what kind of solar power I need to run two big fans and 2 large refridgerator. I might splurge for that.

Newmisty - what in the hell is that water bladder thing? Does it do the pissing for you?

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Change your diet to get into ketosis and you need to eat a lot less and less often. You can live primarily off of your fat stores if necessary for an extended period of time. The world record for fasting is 382 days, granted he started well over 400 lbs and was managed by physicians. So gorge now while food is plentiful and easy to obtain, lol!

Best to minimize what you need rather than have to obtain, maintain, protect, etc a significant supply of food. There is NO essential carbohydrate! Only fats and proteins are essential to our survival and well being. And if you are worried about calories, fats contain more than double the calories gram for gram that carbs or protein do. Not that we can’t survive on carbs, but they are not the simplest way, and simplification where ever possible is important. Best to transition from burning glucose to ketones before a pandemic happens, the transitory period is not always pleasant even given our abundant society, i’m sure even less pleasant without easily obtainable foods/supplements/modern conveniences.

I equate needing heaps of carbs instead of fasting/ketosis to storing/transporting your wealth in 100 oz copper and silver bars instead of small gold coins!

Stock up on coconut oil, get some backyard chickens, get sardines (OSJL regularly has Season brand for $1 a can), and other healthy fats/meats/fish.

Get a water filter, like a Katadyn or Sawyer mini, bath tub liners and drums do you no good if you have to move, but are great if you are able to shelter in place.

GoldenPoet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
PhucilliJerry, Keto diet is on my will power wish list. Haven't managed to do even one day yet.

What supplements or superfoods do you buy?

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Supplements depend on my food consumption for the day, but I regularly take magnesium, potassium, Vitamin D and a multi vitamin with iodine. And plenty of sodium throughout the day. The “keto flu” can be mostly avoided by just getting enough sodium for many people. I will also take some fish/cod liver oil if I don’t have salmon or sardines regularly. Healthy sun exposure is important too when possible, not even for the Vitamin D but for nitrous oxide primarily.

For foods, I eat lots of eggs; zero carb cheese and sugar free bacon when I have breakfast, a lot of rib eye/fatty cuts of meat in a healthy bath of grass fed butter/salt/pepper/garlic, chicken thighs with skin on, I don’t like liver but it is highly nutritious and usually cheaper than far less nutritious cuts of meat so I add it to ground beef/pork. I will have a fresh spinach salad with ground beef/pork on it, with olive oil and plenty of salt, sometimes onions or tomatoes if they’re in the house. Hard boiled eggs, sardines, i’ve added some nuts too, Brazil nuts are mineral rich and I don’t like them very much so I never eat too many! Cashews on the other hand don’t stand a chance so I don’t get them often.
Lots of coffee, mostly black but sometimes with heavy cream in it, no sweetener.
I had tried eating pure carnivore before but it was too restrictive for me, although I did feel wonderful. I just love blending up heavy cream and frozen blueberries for a treat. I never knew just how sweet berries are before I cut out processed sugars. But I can’t have too many or I spiral out of control.

GoldenPoet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
For foods, I eat lots of eggs; zero carb cheese and sugar free bacon when I have breakfast, a lot of rib eye/fatty cuts of meat in a healthy bath of grass fed butter/salt/pepper/garlic, chicken thighs with skin on, I don’t like liver but it is highly nutritious and usually cheaper than far less nutritious cuts of meat so I add it to ground beef/pork. I will have a fresh spinach salad with ground beef/pork on it, with olive oil and plenty of salt, sometimes onions or tomatoes if they’re in the house. Hard boiled eggs, sardines, i’ve added some nuts too, Brazil nuts are mineral rich and I don’t like them very much so I never eat too many!
What are you going to eat if/when there are no stores open to buy any of this stuff?

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dont eat keto, but I do eat low carb, only fruits and vegetables, no grains. Still a rock climber at age 59, and need to keep the weight down. (5'9" and 159, looking to lose 5 more pounds). Nothing wrong with keto, but you dont have to go full keto to reap benefits. Just cut out ALL grains and sugars. Trust me, once you cut them out for a few weeks you wont want them anymore.

Just bought a bunch of olive oil and coconut oil at walmart, and as a bonus they had alcohol hand sanitizing liquid on clearance (the local Walmart clientele obviously have not caught on).

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
It's a good idea to have things like whiskey or some other hard beverage around for drastic situations. The alcohol can be used for different purposes. One item, many uses. Even if you are not a drinker, it has good uses. IF you don't have bleach, you can use it to treat water. Kills infections for bad wounds.

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We spent a smoooooth 1k frn on food today. I got new tires for my tiller. Propane tanks just filled, gas and diesel tomorrow morning. Got mailing confirmation for fresh garden seed today. It could be a doozy. Im 25 miles from town, suits me fine, I dont like people anyway.

I was planning on doing a couple of acres of market veg for resale, I think ill follow the plan. I need more seed potatoes and onion plants.

I hope the power doesnt go out, that would piss me right off.

Imagine if it lets it rip. 15-20% of the folk dead, what a scene.

What is the story on the mail and delivery thing, how do you clean incoming boxes, etc?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
It's a good idea to have things like whiskey or some other hard beverage around for drastic situations. The alcohol can be used for different purposes. One item, many uses. Even if you are not a drinker, it has good uses. IF you don't have bleach, you can use it to treat water. Kills infections for bad wounds.
I am just going to smoke weed. I have the makings of a still, just havent put it together. Sugar, theres one a guy needs...........

Silverbug

The barter value of hard alcohol in times of need cannot be overlooked.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There is a thread where a guy was in kosovo? where he described a WTSHTF and I remember Bic Lighters, smokes, alcohol were barter items along with 22 ammo. I have pre arranged with a small business food shop owner to take silver. Meat will need salt and or need to be smoked.

I have my brother on the lookout for cook books from the 1800's / pre electricity.
.gov has some very good survival pamphlets.
Matches, candles, rope, twine, trip alarms, dog, traps, ax, sharpening stone, good quality foot wear, knife's. tent, backpack, large wheeled wagon etc.

I hope I NEVER have to use this stuff.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Use it anyway and have fun with it, its called camping.

Dont forget the cast iron, for your cooking fire..........;)

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Need to re-up the preps, still have some long term food stores like Mountain Home and #10 cans of wheat berries, etc., but a lot of the preps are old now - I have a couple of cases of Red Feather canned butter, canned cheese, and canned goods that are 10 or more years old. I gave away 25# bags of Bob's Red Mill grains when I moved a few years ago to a guy raising chickens, everything was getting old.

We have a full pantry and a freezer with a lot of stuff, but in a lock down situation or with shortages, things would whittle down quickly.

Still have all the hardware to utilize basic stables - Country Living hand crank mill, electric flour mill, wood fired oven, and the know how to make sour dough breads, fermented veggies, canning, drying, and smoking.

Need to place a big order of dry goods - was going to the other night and the Bob's Red Mill 20% off coupon had just expired. Waiting on another coupon... (tight wade).

mnmom

Seeker
Seeker
I have it on good source things are beyond WWZ. Missionary folk talk that I can't share since they are underground. They managed to get word out, but it's pretty dang bleak. Pray for them please.

My goal for the next 2 weeks is to get everything topped off and then self isolate. I think we've got a lot of cases here in the US already that are purposely being hidden. Hubby isn't really on board yet and neither is the person renting a room here, but I'll make the call when I feel it's time.

Still need fuel, seed starting mix, a few more batteries for the solar, chicks to order, and one last haul of feed for the animals to get us to good pasture time.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have it on good source things are beyond WWZ. Missionary folk talk that I can't share since they are underground. They managed to get word out, but it's pretty dang bleak. Pray for them please.

My goal for the next 2 weeks is to get everything topped off and then self isolate. I think we've got a lot of cases here in the US already that are purposely being hidden. Hubby isn't really on board yet and neither is the person renting a room here, but I'll make the call when I feel it's time.

Still need fuel, seed starting mix, a few more batteries for the solar, chicks to order, and one last haul of feed for the animals to get us to good pasture time.
Secret hero missionaries huh?

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
How old is old? A couple of years ago I decided to test some 30+ year old Mountain House freeze dried in #10 cans, and it tasted great.
I'm not worried about the Mountain House freeze dried, it's not that old or expired, just don't have enough to last more than month for 2 people.

Used to have a year or more in supplies, need to fix that.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Need to re-up the preps, still have some long term food stores like Mountain Home and #10 cans of wheat berries, etc., but a lot of the preps are old now - I have a couple of cases of Red Feather canned butter, canned cheese, and canned goods that are 10 or more years old. I gave away 25# bags of Bob's Red Mill grains when I moved a few years ago to a guy raising chickens, everything was getting old.

We have a full pantry and a freezer with a lot of stuff, but in a lock down situation or with shortages, things would whittle down quickly.

Still have all the hardware to utilize basic stables - Country Living hand crank mill, electric flour mill, wood fired oven, and the know how to make sour dough breads, fermented veggies, canning, drying, and smoking.

Need to place a big order of dry goods - was going to the other night and the Bob's Red Mill 20% off coupon had just expired. Waiting on another coupon... (tight wade).
You're going to be ok. You have all the basics in place, including the knowledge base. Get yourself updated; it won't take long.

But I do understand what you're saying. In a lock down situation I know I wouldn't eat as well as I do today. I'd guard the canned bacon jealously, and the canned butter too. But we'd survive. You mention sour dough breads; jeeze, you can bake bread without yeast! Replace those grains, and you are good to go.

As for "old food", I'm not throwing away anything. It's survival, after all.

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Just making sure everyone is up to the same speed. Underground news sites use the name "Wuhan 400" ( the Chinese Military engineered virus name).
As usual Big News using PC term (aka FAKE NEWS) "Covid19".
Big News agencies don't want to upset Commie China.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
one of the best preps i picked up was a solar oven.
I use it quite often in the summer months.
Put it out in the morning facing south.
Supper is done when I get home from work.
I've got one of those. Works great here in South Floriduh.

One more item I have not seen accentuated: Toilet paper. Do you have a carton full? Why not?

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thass fine inna woods. But you can't flush them. In fact, they tout that you can re-use them by washing.

Wouldn't fly my kite in dump city, no error.

mnmom

Seeker
Seeker
Secret hero missionaries huh?
More like crazy a$$ idiots who brought their 4 kids with them. Crazy... but kind people. My church helps support their work because they're originally from this area and have family still here. And yes we are told to NOT talk about specifics because several missionaries in China have 'gone missing' in the last 10 years. CCP looks for posts and messages about people trying to subvert their control.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
A few baby wipes would come in handy. Especially if you have children.

I know some people that tell me that they are getting prepared with their stores, but will show up in the hand-out line (if one develops) just to throw people off their scent. Maybe that's a good idea or maybe not.

Last edited: