• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Processor flaw exposes 20 years of devices to new attack

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Ruh roe...

Processor flaw exposes 20 years of devices to new attack

Chipocalypse now
By Russell Brandom@russellbrandom Jan 3, 2018

All week, the tech world has been piecing through rumors of a potentially catastrophic flaw in an entire generation of processors — but with all developers subject to a non-disclosure agreement, there were few hard facts to go on.

Now, new details have emerged on how severe and far reaching the vulnerability truly is. ZDNet and the New York Times are reporting that two critical vulnerabilities — dubbed “Meltdown” and “Spectre” — affect nearly every device made in the past 20 years. The vulnerabilities allow an attacker to compromise the privileged memory of a processor by exploiting the way processes run in parallel. The result, one researcher told ZDNet, is that "an attacker might be able to steal any data on the system.”

The researchers have created a website with more details on Meltdown and Spectre - https://meltdownattack.com/. Its FAQ, like many security-related FAQs, is simultaneously comforting and hair-raising. It starts with “Am I affected by the bug? Most certainly, yes.” It notes that there are patches for Meltdown for Windows, Linux, and macOS. It also notes that that Spectre, though harder for a hacker to implement, is more problematic: “As it is not easy to fix, it will haunt us for quite some time.”

In a public statement, Intel said “many different vendors’ processors and operating systems... are susceptible to these exploits.” AMD has denied any of its processors are vulnerable, although Google researchers say they’ve demonstrated a successful attack on AMD’s FX and PRO CPUs. ARM has also confirmed that its Cortex-A processors are vulnerable.

Google’s Project Zero released further details on the bug, which appears to affect both Android and ChromeOS devices, although Google claims exploiting the bug is “difficult and limited on the majority of Android devices.” The next version of Chrome, to be released January 23, will also be altered to be mitigate the attack, and enabling the existing “site isolation” feature can also provide some protection.

Microsoft has also released an emergency patch to all devices running Windows 10, with further updates planned. There have also been rumors of a partial MacOS fix deployed with version 10.13.2, although the extent of the changes remains unclear. Apple did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

It’s also unclear how the various patches will affect processor performance. Some estimatesfor some Linux-based systems ranged as high as seventeen percent, although tests of other applications saw little to no effect. Nevertheless, the early impact appears significant, with slowdowns depending largely on the workload of the given device.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
This flaw is opening up a whole new can of worms. Stand by for this to be exploited by a whole new series of ugly viruses that go far beyond these initial discoveries. It's gonna be a hellofa fun year.

BF

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Is this Trumps "cash for clunkers". Gonna have to trade all your machines in this year.

Bigjon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
From Jim Stone:

BLOCKBUSTER: THIS IS AMONG THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS EVER POSTED TO THIS WEB SITE.

You have heard this before on this web site (7 years ago to be exact) so why is it important? Because this post, by an Intel engineer, proves my background and credibility. It proves I was way ahead of Snowden. It destroys every troll that ever posted sh*t against my credibility or this web site. Wired and others had somewhat similar posts five years AFTER I said it, and they probably simply re-worded what I posted because that is what happens when anyone is that far ahead.

A few people were skeptical when I said this latest bug was corevpro related and had nothing to do with what has been claimed about a software fix for a "memory leak" and that it did not affect AMD. The following post proves I am right, and that I did not get it from anywhere other than my background. DEAR TROLLS, READ IT AND WEEP, This was posted to Intel's own web site, by a programmer gone rogue:

I WAS, BY YEARS, FIRST WHISTLEBLOWER ON THIS TOPIC. ANYONE WHO BACK STABS MY WORK, OR CLAIMS I AM NOT NSA IS FULL OF SHIT. HOW ELSE WOULD I KNOW THIS SO FAR AHEAD OF ANYONE ELSE? ANYONE WHO HAS KNOWN ABOUT THIS SITE FOR A WHILE HAS SEEN ME POST ABOUT THIS FOR ALL OF THIS DECADE. HOW THE HELL DID I KNOW?

AND NOW THAT AN INTEL PROGRAMMER HAS SAID IT, LET THERE BE NO DOUBT: IF YOU HAVE AN I SERIES PROCESSOR, YOU BOUGHT A WEAPON INTENTIONALLY SET UP TO DESTROY YOU, IT BELONGS IN THE TRASH, NOWHERE ELSE, AND THERE IS NOT A SINGLE GOD DAMN OPERATING SYSTEM PATCH THAT WILL EVER, AND I MEAN EVER FIX IT.
Furthermore, ALL Intel processors since Centrino have had their development managed from Israel, and many were developed entirely in Israel. Does that wash right with you?
OK, LET ME GIVE YOU THE SMALL TEXT DETAILS: If you run a large corporation, and you have competitors that are Jewish, they have raped all data on all I series processors your business owns and stolen every last contact, secret, strategy, and tech development your company has ever sent across them. More importantly, this programmer that just blew the whistle does not know the problem extends to other Intel processors outside the I series (which he was cleared to know about), and includes anything that has Centrino tech that made it into everything, including the lowly Celeron and Core2.There is a cold hard reason why the Jews have suddenly taken it all over the last decade, and this is exactly it. It is not only the NSA that can rape you, all of the back doors were handed straight to all the Jews who became billionaires and trillionaires, and Israeli intelligence also.

I really hate to tell people this, but if you have ANY Intel processor that is newer than Pentium 4, it is risky, and any Intel processor Core2 forward belongs straight in the trash. You are murdering your business if you use them and you are NOT JEWISH.

This pyramid graphic, done in 2012 is DEAD ACCURATE, it was not just a joke!:

The damage Intel inflicted on you goes far beyond the value of the computers you purchased. It includes ALL the work you ever did on them. Intel needs to be disbanded for this, a class action lawsuit simply can't pay people back the damage done. And yes, now the Jews really do "own it all" - look it up! All of the recently made billionaires, especially in Tech, are Jews. and it is NOT because they were "better".

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The jews run Intel. I won't post all the evidence here. All it takes is a few minutes with a good search engine to begin to understand what and who is behind this. I read about this vulnerability last year and wasn't at all surprised to hear it announced recently. Someone blew the whistle which forced the Intel folks to have to come clean. Did Trump have anything to do with this highly guarded corporate secret being revealed? Who knows? If he did he certainly isn't going to admit it, at least not now anyway!

MAGA!!!

Bigjon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
My awakening to the Jewish problem and awareness of the Jewish control of Intel made me an AMD man.

All my homebuilds are AMD.

Unfortunately the message is being typed on a Centrino driven Vaio with an 18.4 inch screen.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hey, nice trick Intel.
Sadly, TPTB hardly need this, they are handing over cash to have their homes bugged by Amazon Echo, Alexia, Cortiana, Google Home, etc, and carry around personal tracking & bugging devices, some costing over $1k.
Edit: and spying operating systems like Windows 10 & MacOS. Gmail reading all your mail. Cloud providers examining your data and mining it.

As a group, we are morons.

Last edited:

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Bummer, I prefer intel chips in my personal surveillance machines. I mean computers.
If you have time this is a great time in the shop. Taking apart the overenginerded pre-masticated juice spy machine that bankrupted the company.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
WTF is going on?! — Linux creator attacks Intel as a garbage fix for critical bug

Patches released by Intel Corp. to fix highly malicious Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities affecting its CPUs turned out to be faulty, the company admitted, urging customers to stop installing them until further notice.

The company advised “OEMs, cloud service providers, system manufacturers, software vendors and end users” to stop using the available versions of the patch, “as they may introduce higher than expected reboots and other unpredictable system behavior.”

Linus Torvalds, who pioneered the Linux family of operating systems, could not contain his anger. He believes Intel has not done enough to shield its users from Meltdown and Spectre hardware-based bugs that could potentially allow hackers to steal any data, including passwords, personal photos, and emails.

“As it is, the patches are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE,” Torvalds said in a message posted to the Linux kernel mailing list on Sunday.

“All of this is pure garbage. Is Intel really planning on making this shit architectural?” he asked. “Has anybody talked to them and told them they are fucking insane? Please, any Intel engineers here – talk to your managers.”

Torvalds said that the best possible solutions for the company would be to recall two decades worth of products and to give everyone free CPUs. But instead, Intel is trying to avoid huge losses and further damage to its reputation...

Linus ain't happy (me neither),
BF

https://www.rt.com/news/416712-intel-bug-fix-problems/

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
At this point. Everyone should assume every electrical device is spying on them.

Our cell phones have been spying for years, even when shut off. Why wouldn’t our pc/laptop or other devices?

I don’t trust my TV, car, and I especially don’t trust a computer.

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
At this point. Everyone should assume every electrical device is spying on them.

Our cell phones have been spying for years, even when shut off. Why wouldn’t our pc/laptop or other devices?

I don’t trust my TV, car, and I especially don’t trust a computer.
Pretty much! No sense crying over spilt milk. Our privacy is gone, as long as we know that we can take countermeasures against further surveillance, like unplugging everything in the house and locking cell phones in sound proof rooms before we say anything that might further incriminate ourselves. Yeah, it's THAT bad!

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Recall my CPUs Intel and give me new ones.
That would be interesting. Of course they will need to develop, test manufacture and ship everyone who owns a computer the new and improved replacement CPU. Of course then there's the CPUs soldered to the motherboard like in many notebooks, and the cell phones and other devices that use Intel chips that aren't meant to be just computers.

Intel is not going to survive this unless God intervenes

Bigjon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
I object to my threads being moved around.
As the Spectre problem is just a cover story and not the real cause of the problem.

From Jim Stone:

After this latest processor debacle, I backed up to using a 10 year old AMD laptop to do this web site. It works GREAT with Knoppix, I am not having any performance issues at all, not even with graphics creation. I never got any dirt on AMD but am being careful anyway.
I am going to quickly go over the real reason Intel is having problems (again) for those who do not know.

I have mentioned how Intel intentionally put back doors into all their processors for the NSA numerous times over the last 7 years. Problem: Someone inside the NSA did a job 500X worse than Snowden, and released all the hackware that exploits these back doors to the general public 8 months ago. I did a short report on it and left it at that. The media stayed predominantly silent because it was not any sort of snowden game, it was real damage. All the world's hackers have these tools now, and the "wrong people" are now getting hacked.

So a huge stupid reason that blamed all processors for the "problem" was made up and a dream story about some idiot reading "thousands of pages of Intel processor manuals" and finding the bug was made up. But I knew that was a lie (intrinsically simply knew) because I knew about the prior enormous breach at the NSA and know how much American intelligence lies and back stabs. They'll drag AMD and ARM into this just to cover up a pet project they had going with Intel. I was waiting for this to happen, because it had to.

Low and behold, through a screwed up press release, they admitted that the problem was not how the processors write to memory, WHEN THEY STATED THE FIX MADE CHANGES TO THE BIOS THAT WAS NOW CAUSING ENORMOUS PROBLEMS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS THAT RECEIVE THE PATCH. if it was a memory caching issue, that would be handled by a patch to operating systems (as the original lie stated), NOT THE BIOS (which the "fix" actually ended up being for.) By modifying the bios they can instruct parts of the computer to not work, (thereby "fixing" the problem,) but the holes in the system are so huge that the processors can't properly cope with closing them.

As it is beginning to turn out, the problem is not fixable, and any server, desktop or laptop anywhere can be raped on a whim. It will never be possible for me to secure the message window, Ebay can't secure their stuff, NOTHING can be secured and the world is now at the mercy of not only the intelligence agencies, but now also random hackers. The following report explains how, and what the real solution to the problem is.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: INTEL WARNS EVERYONE TO NOT INSTALL MELTDOWN FIXES
Gee, I wonder why. Perhaps because there is no legit fix so why bother! I am not going to link the article I found that references this because it ends with a hideous lie that tells people to ignore the problem and I won't link that type of report, I'll glean the relevant info and drop it. The article at least reveals ALL PATCHES ARE FIRMWARE PATCHES, NOT SOFTWARE PATCHES, WHICH PROVES WITHOUT QUESTION I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG - INTEL GOT BUSTED FOR VULNERABILITIES RELATED TO IT'S VPRO CORE AND ANYTHING THAT HAD CENTRINO TECH ROLLED INTO IT, WHICH MEANS CORE2, I SERIES, AND ANYTHING ELSE (EVEN THE ATOM AND CELERON) RELEASED AFTER 2008. THIS BUG IS NOW IN PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING INTEL. Software patch? MY ***!!!

None of the fixes can possibly work, because they are like trying to attach a fifth piston in a 4 cylinder engine. Intel processors are designed to function fully subservient to the NSA and now that they got busted for it, there is nothing they can do to fix it. The "patch", which has now been revealed to try to fix the problem by tweaking the BIOS (and not the operating system, that was a lie all along and I said that all along because I knew it all along) causes the computers that get them to behave like they are drunk, with random crashes, reboots, and total general instability and for some reason, once the "patch" is applied, it cannot be undone because it screws the BIOS. CUTE.

BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A STEP AHEAD WITH THIS, I WILL NOW, AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE, ON JANUARY 22 2018 ANNOUNCE A GENUINE FIX FOR INTEL'S PROBLEM.

Obviously you'll have your AMD machine ready with all your files before you implement the fix. I'd mothball the Intel or give it to the kids. You can still take parts out of it if you don't smash it.

FACT: ALL AMD PROCESSORS ATHLON FORWARD ARE NOT BASED ON INTEL TECH, AS PER THE INITIAL AGREEMENT THAT ALLOWED AMD TO COPY INTEL CORES EARLY ON. ALL AMD PROCESSORS MADE AFTER 1998 USE TECH FROM DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION'S ALPHA PROCESSOR. AMD SIMPLY DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME BUG, AS MANY HAVE CLAIMED, the basic root of AMD's tech is completely different.

As a closing comment - Having Intel replace the processors is not good enough when the damage done is beyond EPIC. A class action lawsuit won't work either, because Intel does not have enough total assets to pay for even five percent of the damage this has caused countless innocent people. And no one ever had a chance of knowing why their song ended up on TV, or how their invention suddenly showed up in a store, or why they never made contact with someone after an agreement was made because it was all part of the system, a system specifically set up to place every last significant victory squarely in the hands of the Jew.

There is a cold hard reason why the Jews have won every significant victory for the last 10 years, Intel made it happen.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I object to my threads being moved around.
As the Spectre problem is just a cover story and not the real cause of the problem.
Combined. Same thread, same forum location. Combined.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I don't know about anything else in that story above, but he is right about AMD being founded on the DEC Alpha. I had a DEC Alpha, it was a great CPU for the time. I even brought it to my University Computer class to show around. It was way ahead of its time. Problem was there was no real software to run on it beyond the OS.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Recall my CPUs Intel and give me new ones.
Sure, then everybody will have the new, improved government backdoor. I think Meltdown and Spectre are over-rated for home computer users. Either one has the ability to read all of the RAM. They can't read disk data where most of your information resides. Before analyzing somebody's memory data that probably doesn't contain much important info, the bad guy would have to suck out 4 or more gigabytes of data using a relatively low upload rate. If I didn't make a math error, it would take at least 5 hours to transmit 4 gigabytes on a 2 mbps upload connection, and most of memory would have changed multiple times during that period, eliminating the possibility of a clean memory snapshot. Not to mention that at any given time, with Windows, a good portion of the memory data is in the swap file. If you're concerned about the management engine doing bad things when the machine is off, just put the computer on an outlet strip or pull its plug when you shut it down.

For a business with data that's actually worth something, where the machines often run 24x7 and have a fast Internet connection, it's a totally different story. I bet some clever software engineers could detect memory dumps being uploaded by sniffing packets before they go out on the network.

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Sure, then everybody will have the new, improved government backdoor. I think Meltdown and Spectre are over-rated for home computer users. Either one has the ability to read all of the RAM. They can't read disk data where most of your information resides. Before analyzing somebody's memory data that probably doesn't contain much important info, the bad guy would have to suck out 4 or more gigabytes of data using a relatively low upload rate. If I didn't make a math error, it would take at least 5 hours to transmit 4 gigabytes on a 2 mbps upload connection, and most of memory would have changed multiple times during that period, eliminating the possibility of a clean memory snapshot. Not to mention that at any given time, with Windows, a good portion of the memory data is in the swap file. If you're concerned about the management engine doing bad things when the machine is off, just put the computer on an outlet strip or pull its plug when you shut it down.

For a business with data that's actually worth something, where the machines often run 24x7 and have a fast Internet connection, it's a totally different story. I bet some clever software engineers could detect memory dumps being uploaded by sniffing packets before they go out on the network.
I'm sure there's an app for sniffing the little guy's computer too. We've been hemorrhaging trillions and trillions of dollars here and there. It must go to pay for something!

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I wonder if this "bug" is the reason the Q is so confident that they have EVERYTHING.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Is AMD FX safe?

Bigjon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
From Jim Stone:

New Intel Chips Contain Back-Door Processor, Hackable Even When Computer is Turned Off

Jim Stone, Sep 19, 2013

New Intel-Based PC's Permanently Hackable
So you think no one can access your data because your computer is turned off. Heck it's more than turned off, you even took the main hard drive out, and only the backup disk is inside. There is no operating system installed at all. So you KNOW you are safe.

Frank from across the street is an alternative operating systems hobbyist, and he has tons of computers. He has Free BSD on a couple, his own compilation of Linux on another, a Mac for the wife, and even has Solaris on yet another. Frank knows systems security, so he cannot be hacked . . . or so he thinks.

The government does not like Frank much, because they LOVE to look at everything. Privacy is a crime don't you know, and it looks like Frank's luck with privacy is about to run out.

The new Intel Core vPro processors contain a new remote access feature which allows 100 percent remote access to a PC 100 percent of the time, even if the computer is turned off. Core vPro processors contain a second physical processor embedded within the main processor which has it's own operating system embedded on the chip itself. As long as the power supply is available and and in working condition, it can be woken up by the Core vPro processor, which runs on the system's phantom power and is able to quietly turn individual hardware components on and access anything on them.

This is being touted as something that makes IT administration easy. It is being advertised as something that will allow IT professionals the ability to remotely troubleshoot a PC no matter what is wrong with it. It allows IT professionals to view the contents of hard drives, check the memory, or hunt for problems on a machine without actually being in front of it. And to that, I call B.S, outside of snooping it's only real world applications would involve accessing a recovery partition and restoring the computer to out of box state, installing software outside the knowledge of the main operating system, and secretly placing or deleting files.

But the intelligence agencies LOVE THIS. Because Frank is going on vacation soon and they know it. They have listened to all of his calls. They KNOW frank is a terrorist, because they have never been able to access anything Frank has done with a PC, and who would hide their use, other than a criminal? Frank keeps his computers up to date, and THREE of them now have Core vPro processors in them, and when Frank is gone, they are going to get their chance to access ALL of his files because the main backup hard disk went into the newest machine.

Real world use for Core vPro processors will involve the following:
Accessing any PC anywhere, no matter what operating system is installed, even if it is physically disconnected from the internet. You see, Core vPro processors work in conjunction with Intel's new Anti Theft 3.0, which put 3g connectivity into every Intel CPU after the Sandy Bridge version of the I3/5/7 processors. Users do not get to know about that 3g connection, but it IS there. Frank was not stupid so he unplugged his router. Unfortunately for Frank, that won't work, because anti theft 3.0 always has that 3g connection on also, even if the computer is turned off. Sorry frank, you were good with operating systems, but did not know everything about hardware. And now the real reason for your finicky security habits will be known to the NSA - you found a way to route photons to any place in the world without any sort of cable. You revolutionized communications. You were going public when you returned from your vacation, but thanks to your new Core vPro processors, a major communications firm is going to go public with your invention BEFORE you get home, and your research will be deleted and replaced with "criminal activity" so you will be arrested when you get back and unable to speak about the theft of your invention. Fascism is GREAT.

If a system has the ram chips pulled, a Core vPro processor will read the hard disk anyway because it has all the ram it needs embedded in the vPro core.

If you encrypted your hard drive, a Core vPro processor will read it anyway, because it snagged your encryption key. If your system has been taken apart, and has no video card, ram, floppy, or hard drive, your Core vPro processor nailed you, because you left a flash drive plugged in. Or a CD in the CD drive. And what about that web cam?

The bottom line? The Core vPro processor is the end of any pretend privacy. If you think encryption, Norton, or anything else is going to ensure your privacy, including never hooking up to the web at all, think again. There is now more than just a ghost in the machine.

If you believe Intel’s cheerful hype about these processors making things more secure than ever, think again, because any processor which allows a machine to be accessed even when it’s turned off equates to an information tyrant’s dream come true. Please engage your brain while watching this, the security pitch is unadulterated B.S. These processors in fact represent an absolute breach of security no matter how they are marketed. From the technical viewpoint of someone who worked for an intelligence agency, I call B.S. on Intel, avoid these processors like the plague!

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The new Intel Core vPro processors contain a new remote access feature which allows 100 percent remote access to a PC 100 percent of the time, even if the computer is turned off. Core vPro processors contain a second physical processor embedded within the main processor which has it's own operating system embedded on the chip itself. As long as the power supply is available and and in working condition, it can be woken up by the Core vPro processor, which runs on the system's phantom power and is able to quietly turn individual hardware components on and access anything on them.
Just unplug it!

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
In the wake of the Spectre and Meltdown attacks that use the speculative execution behavior of modern processors to leak sensitive information, Intel released a microcode update that offers operating systems additional controls over the processor's ability to predict branches. Unfortunately Intel discovered earlier this month that the microcode updates are causing machines to reboot.

Microsoft has released a new Windows patch to disable Intel's hardware-based mitigation for the Spectre attack due to bugs introduced by Intel's mitigation.

Read more: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-disable-mitigation-against-spectre-variant-2

Oops. We did it again - so solly, here try this...

What a clusterferk

BF

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++