• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Profanity and Its Roots

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I was looking at the word "@$$hole" and whether it has meaningful standing in the english language with the hundreds of thousands of other words and phrases which should be use precisely. What do you think of this discussion of it? https://www.philosophersmag.com/essays/76-the-meaning-of-asshole

"... the asshole is the guy who systematically allows himself special advantages in cooperative life out of an entrenched sense of entitlement that immunizes him against the complaints of other people. "

So misapplied or used as a slam against others in service to our own petulant and peevish habits it becomes a slander, a false accusation falling back on the one who issues it. The person who doesn't play by the rules is identified as the @$$hole, not the one who causes discomfort, irritation or is regarded as a problem.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Regardless, an "asshole" serves an important role in human body functions. I therefore referrer to unpleasant PITA people as : "hemorrhoids on a bleeding skunks ass !"

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
@Krag that definition sounds like it was created by some asshole elitest intellectual that already knows more than anyone else.

Just sayin...

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
What always bothered me about the entitlement class, people who refuse to get their hands dirty and manipulate people to get their advantages--is their attitude. Whether you call them @$$e$, @$$holes, co**$uckers, etc. doesn't make much difference.

Zed

Intergalactic Smart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Sociopaths and Psychopaths are more common than we tend to think. They like to be in charge. They are assholes.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"... the asshole is the guy who systematically allows himself special advantages in cooperative life out of an entrenched sense of entitlement that immunizes him against the complaints of other people. "
what? So being assertive is being an asshole? shit gob-bombs there Krag I think you just hit the strike! Yes-sir-ree bob I thinks you gots it.

so extrapolating this entitlement and applying it to the not so snazzy puk-losie and the not so kick-me-in-the-butt shummer what I get out of this quote is affirmative non action. Crap life is great and that is cool... Awwh *sighs*...

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Curse Words, I've read, are called that for a reason

To cast a spell, to 'curse someone'
That explains the 'taking God's name in vain', to damn someone is to curse them, to curse them using God's name means you are actually speaking for God
and you don't and that obviously pisses Him off

I generally don't like to piss God off so, that's a phrase I don't use

Other than that:
I like words, all words and use them often, everywhere I go
not many people like me for that reason and because of that, I've learned key words to use to occasionally make those people feel uneasy, they generally like me the least

asshole is not a curse word, it's a body part

:green tea:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I generally don't like to piss God off so, that's a phrase I don't use
That's about how my grandpaw put it but he said that phrase was the only curse words. Way I see it is why have some one else do it when I can do it myself.

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
asshole is not a curse word, it's a body part
I like asswipe, as it more accurately portraits the true matter of the goal of the profanity.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I like asswipe, as it more accurately portraits the true matter of the goal of the profanity.
To liken another person to $hit is really inappropriate, and I have seen plenty of bad behavior that could be much better described and accurately. With hundreds of thousands of words in the english language why do people limit themselves to several dozen profane ones for lack of imagination?

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
With hundreds of thousands of words in the english language why do people limit themselves to several dozen profane ones for lack of imagination?
Yes, you're correct re the limitation, except that true profanity creates emotional tension and emphasis.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Swear words are generally unambiguous and to the point. Everyone understands them.

I swear because I'm not very well educated and can't properly express myself any other way.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
A bear and a rabbit are taking a shit in the woods, the bear turns to the rabbit and says, "Do you have a problem with shit sticking to your fur?" The rabbit says no and so the bear wipes his ass with the rabbit.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
In the laboring trades it was my misfortune to deal with foul mouthed foremen and fellow
workers, probably they considered it a consolation prize of not having to work in the
office, wear a suit and tie and otherwise live restrictively. One local big Trump fan,
an Italian who runs a limo business, body shop, and has a luncheon place is notorious for
having a foul mouth. Another one I worked for in construction in NY, a job that was found through CT state employment for a couple weeks
many years ago could not complete a sentence it seemed without profanity. When I was
hired he had come back from having his car treads "fingerprint" done so they
could compare them to a crime scene. One of the foremen mentioned how one woman customer
angered him so "he fixed her wagon!". I quit after a couple weeks and didn't
get paid so I filed to get it through the state, and I could sense once again how angry
he was with me and it was delayed a long time.

When I ran my tree and landscape business full time, none of the main workers swore much
even during the trying circumstances. That was indicative of good character rather than
anything contrived, though anger issues definitely go with that territory.

Last edited: