• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Started the year skunked on $1K in halves, but did get a Rosie and Merc in a box of dimes.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Had some fun with my dimes last night, picked up my 2K weekly dose and got (3) Mercs and (26) Roos- hated to see that end. Wished I had upped that order back up to 3K/week now but every time I think about doing that I get a bad batch that makes ME not. Guess I will bite the bullet and up it anyways even though I am burried in coin as it is. Can't win if you don't play & Go BIG or go home have been my mottos since I started this addiction. HH all, Mark

Hi Ho Silver

Seeker
Seeker
Where are most of the silver being found?

I was just wondering if there is a specific region in the USA that is proven to turn out more silver coins during the hunt? :confused:

silverwood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I had a nice little score today.:553: Bought $100 in halves from the local bank, one roll, which had "silver" written on the wrapper, :love30: was all 90%ers. Another roll had half 90%. So the totals were;
19 walkers
10 franklins
1 64 kennedy
also two 40%ers in the other rolls.:biggrin:
I never get tired of treasure hunting!:rock:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
WOW! Well done sir!:565:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I had a nice little score today.:553: Bought $100 in halves from the local bank, one roll, which had "silver" written on the wrapper, :love30: was all 90%ers. Another roll had half 90%. So the totals were;
19 walkers
10 franklins
1 64 kennedy
also two 40%ers in the other rolls.:biggrin:
I never get tired of treasure hunting!:rock:

Great! I see I have been going about this all wrong.
Here I have been cutting & looking through the edges of all the rolls I can get, when all you have to do is look at the rolls & see if it says silver on the outside :banghead:

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I remember the day I had like that, what a rush. Congrats, Mark

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Since we area reminiscing, my 2nd box of halves ever had something like 20 40%'s and 2 90%'s....Boy do I miss that feeling!

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
5 boxes of halves completed so far this year - just got 2 40% from the last box and that's all so far. This year is off to a slow start :(

So why is this such a hard habit to kick? I just talked to a branch manager who said he shipped out a bag last week "about half full of halves other than the Kennedy ones. They had Ben Franklin, a lady's head (Barber?) and I think the Statue of Liberty (Walkers)." He said he would have bought them, but their bank doesn't allow bags off of the coin machine to be sold and that they were required to ship them out no matter what's in them. Silly policy, but unless the company that rolls the coins is sorting them out, there should be a nice supply hitting the boxed halves very soon!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
5 boxes of halves completed so far this year - just got 2 40% from the last box and that's all so far. This year is off to a slow start :(

So why is this such a hard habit to kick? I just talked to a branch manager who said he shipped out a bag last week "about half full of halves other than the Kennedy ones. They had Ben Franklin, a lady's head (Barber?) and I think the Statue of Liberty (Walkers)." He said he would have bought them, but their bank doesn't allow bags off of the coin machine to be sold and that they were required to ship them out no matter what's in them. Silly policy, but unless the company that rolls the coins is sorting them out, there should be a nice supply hitting the boxed halves very soon!
Trying to get bags is funny, most times when a bank says they can't sell them the excuse I get is Loomis credits our account for any overages- my answer to that is that I have bought probly 1K bags and I have never had one that was over enough to worry about, majority are short due to small change and trash that winds up in there so they also debit their accounts. When I made that big score last Feb they had to recount the bag by hand before they would sell it to ME even though I insisted that I trusted the machines count. Hope your finds improve and you get some of the contents of that mixed bag soon. HH Mark

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My dump bank says that the bags are the property of the carrier (Loomis). Makes sense.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
My dump bank says that the bags are the property of the carrier (Loomis). Makes sense.
I've heard that BS line before too- NO they belong to the vault until the bag gets full and Loomis picks them up and credits the bank. One of my old box pickups had to quit ordering or charge ME the rolling fee, they now happily sell ME all the bags off the counter except the small dollars (cause I don't want them). She did tell ME to not tell my friends cause she was kinda doing ME a favor- I told her she was my only friend right now. Bottom line policy is policy whether it makes sense or not. HH Mark

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
And that makes more sense. :)

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
January totals. 129 dimes, 45 War Nics (which I trade silver for silver for dimes), 2 Washington Quarters, 2 Bens, and 21) 40% halves. HH all, Mark

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wow, really hitting those dimes huh? How long does it take you to sort a box?

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
January totals. 129 dimes, 45 War Nics (which I trade silver for silver for dimes), 2 Washington Quarters, 2 Bens, and 21) 40% halves. HH all, Mark
Nice totals, color me jealous.......

Depending on what I'm doing, a box can take as little as 15 minutes (only task at hand) to as much as 30 (watching TV, scanning this site or Zero Hedge for articles, watching video clips, etc).

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Switched all but 2 or my half orders to dimes and then had some really good boxes come through as well (like 20 slivers from 4 boxes good). Figure a box takes 20-30 mins. HH all, Mark

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My last couple halve boxes have been skunks.

This week was a first for me & I felt a little pleased, but sort of ripped off at the same time.
I gave the bank 50 cents & in return they gave me a penny.

A 1921 British penny. It's cool & everything, but all it will do is sit in the foreign coin cup.
The 64 & 67 that were also in the box helped to sooth that ripped off feeling. :rolleyes:

1921 Brittish Penny 003.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That's a neat find. Glad you had a couple more to ease the pain. The well has been dry...

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Just had the most amazing dime box ever. Have been hitting 2/box for the past week or so (which is good), so I continue. Last night when I dumped I stocked up on some more- 6 boxes, did a few last night- still 2 or 3/. Tonight I openned one and see silver on the end of an obvious short roll, cool (I save those for last- something to look forward to). Anyways getting one here and there through the box, then I got 7 in one roll (awesome), then back to one here and there, then I got 9 in a roll- by now I'm freaking estatic, got a stack of slivers 20+ tall and I know I've got one more at least right. Last roll went over the top, not only was silver on one end but one the other end too and 2/3 of the coins in between, 33 silvers and 15 clad. Total take 56 silver Roos from one box- afraid I may be spoiled now. BTW when I dump tomarrow I will be getting more. HH all, Mark

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Amazing. And somewhere a grandma has a purse full of fresh $1 bills.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Just had the most amazing dime box ever. Have been hitting 2/box for the past week or so (which is good), so I continue. Last night when I dumped I stocked up on some more- 6 boxes, did a few last night- still 2 or 3/. Tonight I openned one and see silver on the end of an obvious short roll, cool (I save those for last- something to look forward to). Anyways getting one here and there through the box, then I got 7 in one roll (awesome), then back to one here and there, then I got 9 in a roll- by now I'm freaking estatic, got a stack of slivers 20+ tall and I know I've got one more at least right. Last roll went over the top, not only was silver on one end but one the other end too and 2/3 of the coins in between, 33 silvers and 15 clad. Total take 56 silver Roos from one box- afraid I may be spoiled now. BTW when I dump tomarrow I will be getting more. HH all, Mark
Wow. Congrats on that box. I don't even have that many dimes this year so far....... 0 for 3 tonight too.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
After also consistently getting about 2/box, my last 3 boxes have been skunks. At least now I know where they all went. Congrats on the treasure!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Well I went back to the same branch and got the only 2 remaining boxes of that style but only got a few extras. Hate to think of the best box being doled out as change, maybe I will get lucky and find it this weekend. HH all, Mark

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Think I made a good trade this AM, gave up 49 War Nicks and 16 40% halves for 73 silver Roos. Straight up melt for melt trade except one of the halves was a 70D and I got 4 slivers out of it. Always looking to upgrade coins to 90% at least. Also may be trading sets of silver Roos for $6fv 90%, sets hold $4.80fv. Not too distant future I plan to be divesting out of all my coin books in roughly the same way, looking for a little bigger and nicer camper to live in at mining camp this year and don't want to be bogged down with too much stuff- just show ME the metal haha.
Still plugging along in the hunt as well. HH all, Mark

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Never thought it would come down to a "woo hoo" for two measly 40% Kennedy's in a $500 box, but I've had such bad luck lately that I needs to take what I's can get.

I hear ya Samwii. I've been on a rough patch myself. I'm beginning to wonder if I haven't bled my area dry.

I rather like to think I'm saving up for the big score! *Fingers crossed*

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Never thought it would come down to a "woo hoo" for two measly 40% Kennedy's in a $500 box, but I've had such bad luck lately that I needs to take what I's can get.
I hadn't found any silver in halves for weeks till Thursday, one box gave up a Ben, a '64 and (6) 40%. Talk about happy dance. The 3 other halve boxes last week didn't even tease, dimes are still plugging away though. HH all, Mark

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Few days left for the month folks, better kick it up a notch. HH Mark

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This low-paying, part-time job/hobby we call prospecting paid me 86 FRN's in silver this month which was a statistically insignificant uptick in productivity over the past couple of months. I was rewarded for my time with 3-90% and 7-40% out of 8 boxes of halves. Also found 3 silver Roos out of 40 rolls.

On a side note; I had a brief conversation with a branch manager who was asking some questions and was really cool. Told him I don't find much, but as long as the coins keep coming, I'll keep going. He mentioned that he was going to start "prospecting" himself, and that he felt very strongly that silver is going to continue its ascension. Not that he has any inside information (but might), but I found it very interesting that an individual in the banking industry was that candid and interested about silver prices. Food for thought anyway.

Good luck out there folks!

FINALLY!!!

My cold spell has been broken!

After being skunked on 9 boxes of halves and 6 boxes of dimes I finally turned up 10 40% halves and 1 Roosevelt in the boxes I picked up today! That was such a long cold spell I was about to loose my mind!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Well time to lay down the cards. February gave ME 186 dimes, 4) 90% halves, 8) 40% halves and ten War Nickels.
On a more positive note I made about $45 last night at the coin club meeting in the auction- I sell things (clad) I find that I don't want like 7 Buffalo Nickels that went for $12 cause one was a '16S, another Buff had about 8% die rotation and went for $3. 3 mint rolls of halves I took off my tellers hands garnered $15 each. Lots of clad proofs went away at profit. I don't sell any silva but I trade the war nicks melt for melt in dimes. Got 2 sets of silver Roos may be trading for $6 in 90% (profit of $1.20 silva), and another set I'd like to trade the same way. Three sets of Franklins need to bring home some silva profit. Walker, Washington, and Merc folders would make someone nice starter sets. May would have to sell the Kennedy book for cash as its got too much clad in it but its the best I've seen for FV hunting. But now I'm ranting.
HH all, Mark

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Never really tried the prospecting thing.....BUT. I went into a small gas station the other afternoon to buy a bottle of water. Handed the girl behind the counter two $1 bills and she started to give me change. I asked her if she had any half dollars and she said "I have one". So she handed me the half, a quarter, a nickle and three pennies. There in my hand smiling up at me was a 1948 Franklin! Made my day just a little bit better. Cheapest bottle of water I ever bought!

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Ok, just got the fever (from that Franklin) and went to the bank at lunch. Bought three rolls and found 2 40%. This might be fun.

Ok, just got the fever (from that Franklin) and went to the bank at lunch. Bought three rolls and found 2 40%. This might be fun.
Nice, I've picked up $200 worth of rolls at my bank and the closest I got was a 1971 and only one was that old

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I don't know if this makes a difference but the three rolls I picked up where not the tight packed rolls you get from brinks or Loomis. They looked like they where home rolled. I think I will be going back to that bank tomorrow at lunch.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice little hot streak you are on. With luck like that, you might want to buy a lottery ticket while your at it. :biggrin:

I don't know how you guys do it. I keep reading about everyone pulling out silver out of these boxes like it's nothing, but I haven't been able to come even close to replicating any of it. :s10:

In fact until last night when I finally found one measly 40% Kennedy, I've been on a skunk streak to start the year. Now I'm at a stellar 1 40% out of 10 freaking boxes in 2012!

All in all I have gone through 20 boxes of halves so far. I have found only one 90% during that time - a 1964 Kennedy. How freaking sad is that? Pretty close to giving up...

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I don't know how you guys do it. I keep reading about everyone pulling out silver out of these boxes like it's nothing, but I haven't been able to come even close to replicating any of it. :s10:

In fact until last night when I finally found one measly 40% Kennedy, I've been on a skunk streak to start the year. Now I'm at a stellar 1 40% out of 10 freaking boxes in 2012!

All in all I have gone through 20 boxes of halves so far. I have found only one 90% during that time - a 1964 Kennedy. How freaking sad is that? Pretty close to giving up...
Sounds like a hot streak from my perspective. Been doing this for 13 months, with probably the last 10 months sorting no less than 1 box a week. I have (5) 40%ers and (1) 90%er to show for my efforts.
My success rate with dimes is better but falling off a cliff, started out at around 1.5 - 2 p/box, down to 1 in Oct/Nov/Dec, now I'm lucky if it is 0.5 p/box. 12 dimes in my last 21 boxes. Ugh.
Once had 17 straight skunk dime boxes. Almost quit, but glad I didn't.

Happy Hunting.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Well, Skunked today. 4 rolls and nothing but brand new (1999 & newer) halves. But, and this is a big but (no pun intended) this is free money!!!! It just costs a little of my time.

My problem today was getting the coins right out of the box in the Brinks marked wrappers. Tomorrow, I will be at another bank and see what they have in customer wrapped rolls (this worked once, so until I get smacked in the face with a shovel, I'll keep doing it again and again).

On a brighter note, asked for any halves the cashier had at the grocery store tonight, and she didn't have any but asked the next isle over and they had 4 (one 67 40%). I've got to remember to do this everywhere.

Good luck and good hunting.