• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

Sounds like a hot streak from my perspective. Been doing this for 13 months, with probably the last 10 months sorting no less than 1 box a week. I have (5) 40%ers and (1) 90%er to show for my efforts.
My success rate with dimes is better but falling off a cliff, started out at around 1.5 - 2 p/box, down to 1 in Oct/Nov/Dec, now I'm lucky if it is 0.5 p/box. 12 dimes in my last 21 boxes. Ugh.
Once had 17 straight skunk dime boxes. Almost quit, but glad I didn't.

Happy Hunting.
How do you find it in you to keep going with such low ROI?

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
How do you find it in you to keep going with such low ROI?
It isn't easy but I've got everything setup now where it requires minimal effort to acquire more than I can sort. At most a box takes me 20 mins with distractions, usually about 12 without, so time investment is minor. Plus, I'm not looking at this with current value, I'm working under the assumption my finds with be worth much more in the future, perhaps near future. At least that is what I tell myself.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I figured it out...the time to prospect is when silver is in freefall! Got a box of halves and box of dimes today: got 4 Rosie's and a Merc from the dimes and 2 '64 Kennedy's, a Franklin, and 6 40% from the halves. It's days like these that keep me prospecting (and feeling better after purchasing a half-roll of ASE's after Friday's close.)

To address the low ROI, if you pick up 1 box of dimes a week and only find 1 silver dime per box, that represents an annual return of 41.6% at $28/ozt. A single 40% in a box of halves each week would represent a 43.10% annual return, and a single 90% half each week would be a 104.1% return. Those averages are quite easy to achieve, and of course, higher silver prices and/or better finds would represent higher returns. I used $28/ozt because that represents 20x face which is easier to calculate and represents a solid floor. Who wouldn't want an account with that kind of a return? Heck, my bank runs a 1% APY special and people come running for it! Add the "fun" factor of treasure hunting, killing time while relaxing and watching TV (Pawn Stars is on now) then how can you lose?

sjlund

I picked up my first $500 bag of halfs today. Not an amazing score, but at least I found something! I'll be headed back Wednesday to pick up the other $200 worth of halfs they had on-hand, plus a $500 bag of dimes!
IMG_2227.jpg

AguA

Seeker
Seeker
I picked up my first $500 bag of halfs today. Not an amazing score, but at least I found something! I'll be headed back Wednesday to pick up the other $200 worth of halfs they had on-hand, plus a $500 bag of dimes!
View attachment 16073
Not trying to be funny or nothing, but what is special about a 1967 Kennedy half-dollar? I genuinely don't know.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It's 40% silver, right?
Yes, 40% silver with an ASW of .1478 ozt. Per Coinflation, it has a current silver value of $5.02. If you find the 1970 version, it carries a numismatic value above the silver value since it was never released for general circulation (and yes, they do pop up from time to time.)

AguA

Seeker
Seeker
I get the dunce hat for today.

I'm so used to thinking in terms of 90%, that it didn't even register just then that even 40% is a plus when prospecting.

Thanks for the re-cage.

sjlund

I'm so used to thinking in terms of 90%, that it didn't even register just then that even 40% is a plus when prospecting.

Thanks for the re-cage.
Heh, like I said, not an amazing score but better than nothing!

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Haha! I must own every 1971 Kennedy on the planet after today! :banghead: Big ol' Skunk. Oh well, there is always tomorrow. Now for the great dump ex- I'm sure the bank where I dump at really doesn't like me. :flute:

sjlund

I know all about the 1971's myself... the 1776-1976's too. The only years I was missing from my bag were 1975 and 1987.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
There are no dunces here. We're all learning. A $0.50 40% silver coin is worth more than 50 cents, though. I'd be very happy to find one in my pocket change :) I have not yet asked for boxes of coins at the bank. Have to tell you, though, that silver in my pocket change is a truly rare event -- maybe once a year on average -- and that nickels and pre-1982 pennies are the motherload for me. Isn't that sad?

P.S., I save the 1982 pennies, too, in a separate jar. For the day when I feel like weighing them <grin>

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Nope, it's thrifty since you are ahead, if barely, so keep on.

P.S., I save the 1982 pennies, too, in a separate jar. For the day when I feel like weighing them <grin>
As do I, pennies as well as nickels.

Just curious if any of you folks frequent other businesses other than banks for rolls? For example would a walgreens in a middle class neighborhood be a better prospect than a walgreens in a wealthy neighborhood?

I know all about the 1971's myself... the 1776-1976's too. The only years I was missing from my bag were 1975 and 1987.
There are no 1975 Quarters, Halves or Dollar coins. In 1975 they began releasing the 1776-1976 Bicentennial Coins. If I remember correctly, you can only tell the difference in the 1776-1976 Eisenhower Dollar. There are two varieties of this coin: the variety 1 is designed in low relief with bold lettering on the reverse and the variety 2 is designed in a sharper design with delicate lettering on the reverse. I believe the variety 1 was released in 1975 while the variety 2 was released in 1976.

As for 1987, these halves were only released in the mint sets and never for circulation. However, I've still come across a few in my prospecting. I usually tuck them away for my collection. No silver, but since their not really suppose to be in circulation, I hold on to them when they pop up.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
There are no dunces here. We're all learning. A $0.50 40% silver coin is worth more than 50 cents, though. I'd be very happy to find one in my pocket change :) I have not yet asked for boxes of coins at the bank. Have to tell you, though, that silver in my pocket change is a truly rare event -- maybe once a year on average -- and that nickels and pre-1982 pennies are the motherload for me. Isn't that sad?

Don't waste your time weighing those. Just do the drop/bounce test. Take a known copper penny and a known zincoln and drop them each on edge, on a desk or floor or whatever. I use my wood pull out keyboard tray at my desk, works great. Once you get the sound down, you'll tear through that jar in no time, especially compared to weighing each one.

I tried to find a video but none of them do the sound justice. There is a "ring" to the copper pennies and flatness to the zincs. Unless your hearing isn't that great you should be able to pick it up quickly........

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Thanks for the re-cage.
There's yet a third way to make money prospecting for halves that most don't either know about or bother doing, Halves stopped being made for general circulation after 2001. If you edge-search like I do, generally halves from 2000 onward have bright, shiny edges vs the generally dull edges on the older clad garbage. When roll searching, I also check the dates on the bright and shiny edged halves. So far, I've put together several 2000-2011 sets with both P&D mints. Those sets have all sold on eBay for 2-3 times their face value because they simply don't "exist" in circulated condition unless put together in this manner. I've also found several "s" proof coins as a bonus. Just some food for thought if you want to maximize your profits from this activity.

sjlund

There are no 1975 Quarters, Halves or Dollar coins. In 1975 they began releasing the 1776-1976 Bicentennial Coins. If I remember correctly, you can only tell the difference in the 1776-1976 Eisenhower Dollar. There are two varieties of this coin: the variety 1 is designed in low relief with bold lettering on the reverse and the variety 2 is designed in a sharper design with delicate lettering on the reverse. I believe the variety 1 was released in 1975 while the variety 2 was released in 1976.

As for 1987, these halves were only released in the mint sets and never for circulation. However, I've still come across a few in my prospecting. I usually tuck them away for my collection. No silver, but since their not really suppose to be in circulation, I hold on to them when they pop up.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

Last edited:

sjlund

Grabbed a small bag of halfs yesterday ($200), nothing worthwhile. I have a $500 bag of dimes from the bank's public coin counter coming tomorrow though!

sjlund

Stopped in at a different bank over my lunch hour to see what they had - asked for halfs and they said they had about $250 worth but it was all loose in one bag. I picked up $30 worth, suspecting the whole time that the tellers go through their halfs and then dump the clad in the bag - she smirked a bit when she asked what I was looking for. Sure enough, no silver. I did get a decent looking 2003 though.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This stuff is still out there!!!! Just had my most amazing Haul yet. Went to "a" bank at lunch and in a hurry. Asked the usual question and the very kind lady tells me that she doesn't have any half's but she will ask the other tellers. An even kinder teller at the end of the line comes over with 3 rolls and 19 loose. Asks me if I want them all and of course I say yes. As she is counting out the loose ones, I can see 66's and 65's. I keep my poker face on and she puts them in an envelope for me. Hurry back to work and tear into them. Total haul: (24) 40% and (1) 90% Kennedy halfs.

:banana: "stinkin banana got in the way".

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
This stuff is still out there!!!! Just had my most amazing Haul yet. Went to "a" bank at lunch and in a hurry. Asked the usual question and the very kind lady tells me that she doesn't have any half's but she will ask the other tellers. An even kinder teller at the end of the line comes over with 3 rolls and 19 loose. Asks me if I want them all and of course I say yes. As she is counting out the loose ones, I can see 66's and 65's. I keep my poker face on and she puts them in an envelope for me. Hurry back to work and tear into them. Total haul: (24) 40% and (1) 90% Kennedy halfs.

:banana: "stinkin banana got in the way".
You are dead on! One of my employees was all excited today - 89 silver coins in the bag he just picked up with 57 of them 90%. Needless to say, I was jealous as heck but happy for him.

Picked up a $500 box of half dollars from the bank... shotgun, bank rolled all nice and neat. Absolutely NOTHING in it. Not even any 40% or a stray proof. Nothing. :(

Now I've gotta buy a bunch of new tubes and reroll all of these. Bleh.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Picked up a $500 box of half dollars from the bank... shotgun, bank rolled all nice and neat. Absolutely NOTHING in it. Not even any 40% or a stray proof. Nothing. :(

Now I've gotta buy a bunch of new tubes and reroll all of these. Bleh.
You sure you need to reroll them? All of my dump banks have coin counters and don't want them rolled; they even break them open if they are. Save yourself some time and money and just bring them in loose.

voodoo1951

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I gave up prospecting thru bank rolls about a year ago, when I was informed that a majority of bank boxes come from Brinks and you can bet your bippy they have been pre sorted at the facility...even more so now that the price of Ag is hovering in the mid $30 range...just think about it for a minute. Why would a company as large as Brinks not invest in a sorting machine? They make em' for sorting 90% & 40% Ag too and I'm sure that they pay for themselves in a week or two. The only luck I have ever had is right at the tellers window or a mom and pop store where a kid raided grammy's coffee can and bought a candy bar or a soda with the coins she has been saving for 40+ years...been skunked too many times to even bother with full bank boxes anymore but I still ask the tellers to scan thru their racks, (ok now, get your mind out of the gutter) or if they have any hand rolled Halves or Dimes in their cash drawer. No hand rolled stuff, pass. I really think Brinks is using a Ryedale on pennies these days too, as the percentage in my area is way down from a couple of years ago. I like free money as much as the next guy but it just ain't happening for me these days. Perhaps if you live out in the sticks you might get lucky. Otherwise, forget-about -it... :mad: :thumpdown: :(

sjlund

Had a nice day today! After work I stopped off at a small branch bank and asked for any loose halfs they had - they only had $4.50 worth, but I grabbed them anyway. As the teller slid them into a bank envelope I could hear silver. They turned out to be 2 40%'ers. As long as I was there I picked up the balance of my $100 bill in dime rolls. These were not so good - every end had a 2011-D showing. I took them with a smile anyway, not wanting to cause the teller any more work than necessary, and besides, she had already walked around the whole branch and collected me the halfs which included silver.

I decided to stop at another bank on the way home to trade the dime rolls. I told the teller straight up that I collected coins and that my bank gave me a 19 brand new rolls of dimes - not good for collectors! I asked to trade them in for the oldest looking rolls she had in the vault. The 19 rolls she gave me turned out 2 nice roosies!

IMG_2232.jpg

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I've had poor luck in general searching teller trays and CWRs. Two 40% over the course of 3+ months. But I did get an ASE from my local bank for $1 a month ago.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I go to old parksand homesteads with my metal detector and find old silver for free. Great hobby!
Irons when your free pile looks something like this you can come over and "gloat", until then I wouldn't brag. HH Mark

sjlund

I cashed out a handful of pocket change at my regular bank. Asked if I could have it in $2 bills (I like weird stuff, and they know that.) The teller said "I'm sorry, I just gave the last few away. But I do have this. Is this old?"
Wow, very nice! My tellers are probably smarter than that, they have ASE's in the glass display case right in front of their windows.

AGRO

Seeker
Seeker
You can get lucky by going to local branches and asking almost daily if anyone has come in with any halves.

They don't keep them, they wait till they have enough and send them out. A lot of oldies are dumping these kind of stashes cause they don't know or care about the silver price and just want FRNs.

Some boxes will still yield silvers and I live in metro NY.

Also I found in a change jar the other day my FIRST EVER silver QUARTER! I almost flipped out. I was about to spend it!

I also wouldn't be surprised if the GVMNT is melting old pennies.....

ALSO G A R A G E S A L E S almost ALWAYS have coins, u have to either pay the price if they know, if they don't u have to get there first thing.
Worst case you get some sterling and turn it into .999 at the local shop.

I gave up prospecting thru bank rolls about a year ago, when I was informed that a majority of bank boxes come from Brinks and you can bet your bippy they have been pre sorted at the facility...even more so now that the price of Ag is hovering in the mid $30 range...just think about it for a minute. Why would a company as large as Brinks not invest in a sorting machine? They make em' for sorting 90% & 40% Ag too and I'm sure that they pay for themselves in a week or two. The only luck I have ever had is right at the tellers window or a mom and pop store where a kid raided grammy's coffee can and bought a candy bar or a soda with the coins she has been saving for 40+ years...been skunked too many times to even bother with full bank boxes anymore but I still ask the tellers to scan thru their racks, (ok now, get your mind out of the gutter) or if they have any hand rolled Halves or Dimes in their cash drawer. No hand rolled stuff, pass. I really think Brinks is using a Ryedale on pennies these days too, as the percentage in my area is way down from a couple of years ago. I like free money as much as the next guy but it just ain't happening for me these days. Perhaps if you live out in the sticks you might get lucky. Otherwise, forget-about -it... :mad: :thumpdown: :(

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Bought my first box of Half's yesterday morning. No silver, but I was able to put together 1 set of 2001-2010. The bank I bought the box from was the same one I found all that loose silver from the tellers draw, so not to disappointing. I be back there again, because as AGRO said, I think a lot of people are cashing in their piggy banks to make their payments.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Finally decided to try this, went into my branch and picked up a dime box and all the Kennedy's they had (10 rolls).
Got a snicker from one of the tellers, but all in all a decent experience. Watched basketball games and opened dime rolls ...the results was 1 1947 dime.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Got sprayed by the Skunk today. One box of half's and nothing. On the bright side, I do get my money back! Hard to beat that. Have yet to do some dimes, might try tomorrow.

Happy Hunting all.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Got sprayed by the Skunk today. One box of half's and nothing. On the bright side, I do get my money back! Hard to beat that. Have yet to do some dimes, might try tomorrow.

Happy Hunting all.
That's the joy of this hobby - *ZERO* risk. Just wait until you get your first loaded box; you'll be hooked for good.