• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Too True. I was hooked the moment a teller haded me a hand full of 40% half's like is was nothing, and that was just out of her coin holder at her window.

I have dreams of opening a roll and finding all Ben's. Might never happen, but its a good dream non the less!

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Nice find sjlund. I have the worst luck with dimes, and they just pi$$ me off. They are too small and I always think the newer ones that have turned dark are the silver. I'll stick to quarters and half's.

Here's a tip that's worked for me. I recently went to a self service car wash, emptied one of their coin machines (it was late in the evening) and found 3 pre 64 Quarters. Free Money!!!!!

:cool05:

sjlund

Thanks!

I wish I had an easier way of getting rid of half-dollars, they're such a pain. I don't do a volume of them very often.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
So this has really slowed down. Five more boxes since Friday and nada, nothing, zip, zilch! I have noticed that all the boxes of half's I've gotten have the same paper wrappers (using 3 different banks as pick up points). I am beginning to dread the white and dark green wrappers. I know I'm not doing as much as some (note to self, that might be why), but I will not get frustrated and will continue.

Heads_Up

Seeker
Seeker
Does anybody do this in Canada? What do they ask for?
I do, but in a different kind of way. I am in and out of a large pharmacy/store in the business centre of the city quite often and have gotten to know the clerks. We have discussed coins on some occasions, as they handle quite a few. I have explained to them the silver coins in circulation and what they were worth. Some have taken to collecting them themselves, and good for them. A couple of others hold them for me and I exchange it 1-1. Everything is above board and they know why I am collecting them, they just seem to be willing to help me. I get a dime or quarter about every second week on average.

I have asked some banks for old rolls, but they are less understanding and less willing to spend the time to talk. Also, there seems to be a trend to actually charge for getting rolls of change or requiring that you hold a business account in some banks.

You will be looking for:
<= 1966 dimes and quarters = 80% silver
1967 = some are 80% and some are 50% (can't really tell apart, but dealers will either give all at 50% or a blended price)
1968 = some are 50% and some are none (tell apart by testing with a magnet)

I've given all the clerks small rare earth magnets to help them check if silver.

In Canada we never see 50 cent pieces or old dollar coins in circulation, so you'd have to check with banks I guess. The silver in Circulation will be in the form of dimes and quarters. Nickels are pure nickel if prior to 1982 and pennies are 95% copper if less than 1997, most of the rest is zinc or such. The new toonies and loonies are not worth checking.

Hope this helps.
:beer:

sjlund

Picked up my weekly dime bag off the bank's coin counter today - a '64 to show for it! The bag also contained two buttons, a nickle, and a Cuban cinco centavos.

IMG_2250.jpg

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I always wounder how things like buttons make it through and some regular coins (like a 71 Kennedy won't)! Maybe the buttons are special. Nice find sjlund!

sjlund

I always wounder how things like buttons make it through and some regular coins (like a 71 Kennedy won't)! Maybe the buttons are special. Nice find sjlund!
Haha, I tell you what, I tossed those buttons and the cuban coin back in to the bag, hopefully they make it through again!

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Picked up my second box of dimes and pulled a 63. I have to admit it's kind of addicting.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Worse, much worse. But better too....
You all still have a chance to get out, I have to find silver every day to keep from getting the shakes haha. Already got mine this morning when I dumped coin, teller gave ME a sliver Roo when I cashed out- thing was she didn't even know it, first time one was given to ME by accident. Now I either have more competition or she will save the next ones for ME too.
Also traded 4 War Nicks for 3 Roos this AM. Now have 4 boxes dimes and 2 Nick boxes to play with- Life is good. About one more month before heading off to the hills, doesn't take as long to get over the silver shakes if I'm finding gold.
HH all, Mark

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
So that's what causes that! Was wondering why after 5 days of not going thru any coinage my coffee spills on the floor and my toothbrush inexplicably poked me in the eye!

Thanks for clearing that up Mark!

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You all still have a chance to get out, I have to find silver every day to keep from getting the shakes haha. Already got mine this morning when I dumped coin, teller gave ME a sliver Roo when I cashed out- thing was she didn't even know it, first time one was given to ME by accident. Now I either have more competition or she will save the next ones for ME too.
Also traded 4 War Nicks for 3 Roos this AM. Now have 4 boxes dimes and 2 Nick boxes to play with- Life is good. About one more month before heading off to the hills, doesn't take as long to get over the silver shakes if I'm finding gold.
HH all, Mark
HAHAHAHAHA, if I found silver every day I might get the shakes..........

Any special trick to sorting nickels I might not be aware of? I've sorted them in the past and was able to go through without flipping, just looking for either mint mark or date, but its still much slower than dimes/quarters.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
So that's what causes that! Was wondering why after 5 days of not going thru any coinage my coffee spills on the floor and my toothbrush inexplicably poked me in the eye!

Thanks for clearing that up Mark!
Sure, make fun now. In the old days I used to be able to play with that I already found when I didn't have any coin, now it has to be new finds every day. I did get pretty inventive though stackin.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
HAHAHAHAHA, if I found silver every day I might get the shakes..........

Any special trick to sorting nickels I might not be aware of? I've sorted them in the past and was able to go through without flipping, just looking for either mint mark or date, but its still much slower than dimes/quarters.
Sorry PJ, no shortcuts on the nicks. HH Mark

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sorry PJ, no shortcuts on the nicks. HH Mark
I figured as much but didn't want to "work" harder than I had to on those if there was a better way. I don't mind having boxes of those sitting around anyway since they're all worth more than face.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I reluctantly put forth my monthy report. I was skunked on ~50 rolls of dimes and halves were not much better, but there was one measly decent box in the mix, otherwise it was Skunkorama. Overall, I found 2-90% Kens, 1-90% Walking Liberty, and 3-40% out of 10 boxes ...pretty pathetic. If nothing else, it was good to see a Weinman-designed Walking Liberty, haven't found one of those beauties in a while. Hope you folks are doing better than me.

On a side note, good luck ME Co. with your mining expedition. We will live vicariously through you. I'd love to do that at some point and time...it's on the bucket list. Good luck out there folks.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I reluctantly put forth my monthy report. I was skunked on ~50 rolls of dimes and halves were not much better, but there was one measly decent box in the mix, otherwise it was Skunkorama. Overall, I found 2-90% Kens, 1-90% Walking Liberty, and 3-40% out of 10 boxes ...pretty pathetic. If nothing else, it was good to see a Weinman-designed Walking Liberty, haven't found one of those beauties in a while. Hope you folks are doing better than me.

On a side note, good luck ME Co. with your mining expedition. We will live vicariously through you. I'd love to do that at some point and time...it's on the bucket list. Good luck out there folks.
Still 2 days left dammit- don't give up. I tell ya, "I buy yous guys books and you just eat the covers". Congrats on the 90% halves, I got a couple Franks "so far", always expecting Santa to drop ME a $hitload (cause I'm so good haha).
Thanks for the luck wish, I don't think I can do any worse than my CRH so far. I'm at an average of 1/2oz per day for the year- thas like $16 today, talk about pathetic (don't tell anyone I'm still doing this- they'll wanna put ME in the LOONIE bin before I can go hunt for the AU).
You know ME- I'm poundin tham till the end, HH all, Mark

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Last chance for March hunters- better get out there, short bank day too. HH Mark

sjlund

I got a call from one of my tellers earlier in the week - she was holding two rolls of halfs for me brought in my a customer, with the newest coin in the rolls being a 1966. True to her word, she had these for me yesterday when I stopped in:

IMG_2311-Edit.jpg

Total count:
30x 1966
8x 1965
2x 1964

Nice!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I know it ain't midnight yet and I still got 4 dime boxes sittin but I'm done. March totals are as follows: (123) Dimes, (1) Washington Quarter, (2) Franks halves, (20) 40% halves and (11) War Nicks. Here's hoping to be buried in silver for April.
HH all, Mark

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Was curious what the outcome of a box of dimes would be so picked one up yesterday and found a 1955 rosie. I was very pleased as I really didn't want to get skunked! Nothing I'll make a habit of but it was fun.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Was curious what the outcome of a box of dimes would be so picked one up yesterday and found a 1955 rosie. I was very pleased as I really didn't want to get skunked! Nothing I'll make a habit of but it was fun.
Congrats on the sliver. I just ended a 4 day dry spell (no silver), most of my dime boxes have been brand new 2011's. Friday I got a few slivers and last night I got 6 out of one box- other boxes nada. Good thing its almost "gold season", I'm bout ready to call it a winter and quit. Headin for the hills end of the month anyways, rather be preparing for that than wasting time and resourses on skunks.
Happy Easter all, Mark

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Glad you weren't skunked on your first box of dimes, So far for April I'm 0-fer out of $3K in halves and 2-fer out of $1K dimes. Yuck!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Boy this has been a hard month- glad its my last one for awhile. Thats right, end of the month I'm shuttin down the silver mine so finds will likely pick up in May. Saved a skunk today with one lowly War Nickel, only found one measly 40% half and no 90% halves so far- got 96 dimes though that might be covering gas.
Yep gonna go get some dirt under my fingernails instead of coin sludge.

I'm making this public declaration in hopes the silver goddess will try to keep ME going with a great last week and a half- she sometimes does that when I threaten to quit.
HH all, Mark :beer1:

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
No metals today, but I dig grab a handful of coins from my bank's counter's reject tray. A clad quarter, a few pennies, an Austrian 5 schilling, and a whole bunch of UK pennies I'd never seen before.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Since my last post I've searched $2,900 worth of dimes and pulled 18 silvers. That ends up being about 1.55 dimes per box.
Very nice. In my last $8,350, including 21 dime boxes, 2 boxes of halves, 1 box of nicks and 4 boxes of quarters, I've come up with 9 Roos and 1 Canadian silver dime. Time to break for the summer me thinks....... I did finally find a bank that will sell me bags, got 1 quarter out of the first $1k bag, but since their machine has been broken. Will continue with that I think, but boxes just aren't showing the results to make this worth while anymore. Good luck all.......

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Found my first 90% half today for the month. But alas not even Ben will convince ME to stay in this game. Month is getting short, my last official pickup is set for Tuesday next. With any luck I hope to be headin for the diggins next Friday morning. HH all, Mark

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
In the same boat as you ME Co. This month sucked rocks. I found 3 measly 40% out of 8 boxes of halves and was skunked on a token effort of 40 rolls of dimes. Good luck on your diggings, will you be able to check in with us periodically this summer?

Again, good luck out there!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Good luck on your diggings, will you be able to check in with us periodically this summer?

Again, good luck out there!
I may be back intermittenly but my hope is to make my wages there and with $100 in gas R/T I won't be back often. All my tellers been askin "How long you gonna be gone this time"- short answer, "till I'm not doing good". If I can't find a couple grams/day fairly easy with just hard work then I may have to hit up Sampson for a formal invite up north, but I'd rather stay closer to home- this is 2012 ya know.
Total tally for the month coming Monday. HH Mark

mitocondriac

Seeker
Seeker
ok im new to this but was thinking about doing this before i saw yalls post but, how do you do it? Just go to bank buy a box rumage threw them re-roll and trade in for another box? How do the banks feel about you doing this? Sorry if these are all newb question but IM a newb!!! Thanks!!!!

Have any of you seen the machines that supposedly sort silver out of regular coin? Do they work? like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-coin...760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5a190be0

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
ok im new to this but was thinking about doing this before i saw yalls post but, how do you do it? Just go to bank buy a box rumage threw them re-roll and trade in for another box? How do the banks feel about you doing this? Sorry if these are all newb question but IM a newb!!! Thanks!!!!

Have any of you seen the machines that supposedly sort silver out of regular coin? Do they work? like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-coin...760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5a190be0
Never bring coin back to a source bank.

First, if you're going to do this with any regularity or volume, find a bank with a free coin machine. Do you have a TD bank around you with a Penny Arcade? Don't waste your time re-rolling coin, it will take WAY too long. If so you just have to open an account and keep a daily minimum balance of $100 to avoid the Penny Arcade fee. Other smaller banks/credit unions have coin machines as well for customers only usually......

Next, find a good source bank or two or three and try to get them to order you extra boxes so you aren't cutting into their regular coin for business customers. Better yet, find a bank with a coin machine who will sell you bags off that machine. Then you eliminate the box/roll opening process. Which does save time. This wasn't easy for me though, I've been doing this for almost a year and I just finally found a bank to sell me bags, after buying boxes from them for 6+ months.

No knowledge about the machines you linked, someone else will have to chime in on that.

Welcome to the Hunt/addiction...........