• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

as far as legit prospecting, i haven't found anything ever. though i usually just get $5 rolls at grocery/corner stores whenever i get a 5 dollar bill back as change.

sort've embarrassing to say, but i've been sorting pennies for a while now. had probably $200 worth, and i'll sit for an hour every now and then to separate the coppers and wheaties from the post 82's.

*shrug*

i know there's a melt ban, and it's not worth my time, but it calms me down. my dad likes puzzles, i like looking at 1,000 pennies. lol
Nothing wrong with sorting pennies -- copper is also valuable and I believe it will increase in value. Everything isn't about gold and silver, I recognize all value in my shop. Good hunting!

BMartin
goldbuyerok.com

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
With my wheats I buy silver, with my silver I buy gold, with my gold I buy...

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
hi all,

long time-no post
Same here...skunked on last 5 boxes of halves and only 1 dime in the last 4 boxes. I did snag a 1957 quarter in some change. My only real score (reported in the Snags thread earlier) was $2,000 in clad Eisenhowers for $2,000 and $50 in a full bag of wheats for $50. I've been parsing the Ikes out in smaller lots on the Bay over the past week with right at a 50% return AFTER COSTS! Lots have been going for better than double FV. Seems high to me, but no complaints. Helps make up the huge disappointment in prospecting lately. I'm beginning to think Garda (the company my supply bank uses) is sorting out the good stuff. I miss posting my finds here, but how can you brag about a dime????

sjlund

I picked up a $290 bag of dimes off of a local bank's coin counter and scored 21 90% silvers and a 80% canadian. :thumbs_up:

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The Half Dollar skunk streak is OVER. I've had better, but today's box scored 5x 40%, 1 Franklin, and a gold-plated 1960/1980 Kennedy. Bank teller that sold me the boxes also gave me a '63 quarter and war nickel. Now, if only I could find some reasonable prices on fractional gold to go with the cheap silver!

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If the drought is over... it sure isn't raining that much.

After 10 skunk boxes of halves, box #11 yielded a 67 & a 43.

But yesterday I was selling at the fleamarket, & after a particularly hard negotiation on a stack of DVDs where I probably made no money, & I was paid in quarters,
I noticed one of them was a 1963.
Made my day! :cheerful:

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This has been a pretty dead thread for quite some time now…I’m guilty myself as I haven’t posted any results in a looooong time. The following are my results for May through August.
Half Boxes: 30
90%: 3 Bens & 6 Kens
40%: 31
SKUNKS: 17
Also found 2 silver dimes out of ~750 FRN’s.

Protect yourselves and good luck out there folks.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
This has been a pretty dead thread for quite some time now…I’m guilty myself as I haven’t posted any results in a looooong time.
I'd love to post some results; unfortunately, I don't have anything to report. Not for lack of trying; it seems everything's dried up. I'm getting so desperate for a "prospecting fix" that I've resorted to looking at nickel bags :( Sad, sad, sad. But 6 war nickels thus far...

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Cytic

I have been saving silver coins whenever I come along them for several years but I only acquired a handful. So I stumbled across this board and am now bank box prospecting :cool:

I have searched 4 boxes of halves, 1 box of dimes, and 1 box of quarters with zero luck.

I did have more luck when just asking for odd rolls or coins from the tellers. Apparently there is someone else in my area prospecting. When I visited one bank the teller asked if I was looking for silver and he said they had a box that was already checked and a few random coins in the coin tray. One 1964, two 1967s, and a 1969 and I am a happily walking back to the car. :D

I hit a few more banks and found one old looking, brown paper roll and what was inside? One barber, one walking liberty, and twelve Franklins. Speechless.

Not bad for a couple hours driving around town and only about $30 of halves. :banana:

(Now that I have gotten my beginners luck out of the way I can get back to hauling boxes.)

Attachments

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Congratulations Cytic,
May your beginners luck hold up.

All my boxes are turning up skunks.
In fact, the biggest return I'm getting is the reject bin that the last people didn't take along.
In todays bin the steel body washers I can use, the 60 cents Canadian I toss in the Canuck jar, but I'm not sure what to do with this jem:

When I pulled out a US quarter with no copper edge, I got excited...
then I read the date... 1982. :hmmmm2:

At 5.4 grams it's underweight for a clad.
It's non-magnetic.
The E in Liberty is missing on the obverse, & on the reverse the D in dollar is gone.
even in 1982, why would you counterfit a quarter?

Fake 1982 Quarter 001.JPG
Fake 1982 Quarter 002.JPG

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Congratulations Cytic,
May your beginners luck hold up.

All my boxes are turning up skunks.
In fact, the biggest return I'm getting is the reject bin that the last people didn't take along.
In todays bin the steel body washers I can use, the 60 cents Canadian I toss in the Canuck jar, but I'm not sure what to do with this jem:

When I pulled out a US quarter with no copper edge, I got excited...
then I read the date... 1982. :hmmmm2:

At 5.4 grams it's underweight for a clad.
It's non-magnetic.
The E in Liberty is missing on the obverse, & on the reverse the D in dollar is gone.
even in 1982, why would you counterfit a quarter?

View attachment 23221
View attachment 23222
Most likely a counterfeit. Seems that 1982 was a popular year for them (whether or not they were coined that year). Yours looks like it is made of Monel metal, 79.1% copper, 20.5%, nickel, 0.4% iron. or something similar to the alloy. Depending upon the cost to the counterfeiter the cost of making the coin is about ten cents thus making the manufacturer a 150% profit with little down side risk of detection if done person to person. Yours was probably tweaked to defeat something like automatic toll booths where the coin mechanisms will accept anything close to a specific electrical impedance.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Yours was probably tweaked to defeat something like automatic toll booths
Ok that answers the why.
Toll booths are something I only see on vacation.
If a city fella commutes daily & could buy these at 1/2 face the savings could add up.

well! relative to what everybody else has been getting... i guess i hit the jackpot(sort of).

2 $500 boxes yielded:

22 40%ers & 1 '86 clad proof :D

21 & the proof were in 1 box, other box only had an ugly '67.

HEY!! the skunk is dead!!! <<got my fingers, toes, arms, legs, & eyes crossed :cool05:

i hope the rest of you have similar luck! :thumbs_up:

J6P

Cytic

I have been doing pretty well with the halves although I have yet to find anything in a full bank box.

I seem to have the best luck driving around asking all the banks I pass for any and all halves. I got 13 40% and 3 90% out of $466.50 worth of halves yesterday. I found a 1936 walking liberty half that appears to be gold plated. :D

adouble11

I agree, with halves I don't have much luck with full bank boxes. Over the weekend, I went to a bank that said they only had $450 in halves....not a full box. I was pulling silver left and right. Man was it exciting. I ended up with 15 40% and 8 90%. Great day.

Also, on boxes of dimes, I've been pulling 2-3 90% from every box.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
well! relative to what everybody else has been getting... i guess i hit the jackpot(sort of).

2 $500 boxes yielded:

22 40%ers & 1 '86 clad proof :D

21 & the proof were in 1 box, other box only had an ugly '67.

HEY!! the skunk is dead!!! <<got my fingers, toes, arms, legs, & eyes crossed :cool05:

i hope the rest of you have similar luck! :thumbs_up:

J6P
You re-energized me for my two boxes tonight...skunked :(

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Last week my box yielded (6)40% and (3)90% :fisheye:
This week's box was a skunk.

Another bank story.
At my dump bank after I ran the coins through & the ticket spit out I noticed I was shorted 6 halves in the count.
sigh,,, bad enough to not get any silver, now the bank is kicking me when I'm down.
When I walked up to the teller as usual she asked me, "did everything go ok with the machine?"
"It shorted me 3 bucks", says I.
She looks at the teller next to her, looks back at me & says "I'm sorry about that. We'll deposit 10 dollars to your account."
"Wait... says I, I was only shorted 3 bucks"
She is getting out this oversize business check & starts filling it out.
She says "bank policy is to pay out $10.00 if a customer feels they were shorted"
I mean WTF! but ok I guess...:s1:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well, it's all pixels to them anyway. shrug.gif

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I needs me a new dump bank. That's a great way to keep your customers happy.

Cytic

I thought some might be interested in the results of a newbie prospector. These results are from my first 5 weeks of prospecting and there is a good dose of beginner's luck in there :D (found 14 90% coins in one CWR).

Halves Searched
11 full boxes ($5500)
$1696.50 in loose halves or "loose" rolls from tellers

Quarters Searched
1 full box of quarters ($500)
$100 in CWR

Dimes Searched

3 full boxes ($750)
$50 in CWR

Finds
Halves: 19 - 90%
35 - 40%

Quarters: Diddly

Dimes: Squat

Of the 54 silver coins I found, three 40% and 1 90% were found in bank ordered boxes. The rest were found as loose coins and CWRs from the tellers. I searched a total of 24,293 coins with a find percentage of 0.21%.

It seems to be a time tradeoff between ordering/lugging/sorting full bank boxes and driving around to banks in order to ask enough tellers for coins. Another data point: I visited approximately 60-80 banks asking for any and all halves over this time period. Some of these requests resulted in full boxes but most were loose coins or handfuls of CWRs.

Overall it has been an interesting experience and I believe that in my area looking for CWRs is my best bet. I don't know if I will be continuing to order boxes or stick to searching out the loose coins.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
I thought some might be interested in the results of a newbie prospector. These results are from my first 5 weeks of prospecting and there is a good dose of beginner's luck in there :D (found 14 90% coins in one CWR).
Thanks for the stats. Very interesting.

If you continue, please post those stats also. I like reading the stats better than searching the boxes myself. I tried it and the ones I ordered were a waste of time. I found zero.

Good luck to you.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
4 boxes this week:

4 skunks.jpg

BUT, I did get a loose bag of halves and got 5 40%. I tell you, that's the way to go. I really think the box suppliers are pulling out most of the good stuff.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Just back from Gold Camp a week ago and slowly starting to dabble in coins again. Been playing with dimes- got 28 so far, today I had a couple boxes of halves come in and got a '64 so I will keep at them as well for awhile. Will have to sell more gold for hunting $$$ if I'm gonna get really serious again, always said "Go big or go home", just don't know if its worth all the gas to get serious again but for now its entertaining till I come up with another idea. HH all, Mark

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just back from Gold Camp a week ago and slowly starting to dabble in coins again. Been playing with dimes- got 28 so far, today I had a couple boxes of halves come in and got a '64 so I will keep at them as well for awhile. Will have to sell more gold for hunting $$$ if I'm gonna get really serious again, always said "Go big or go home", just don't know if its worth all the gas to get serious again but for now its entertaining till I come up with another idea. HH all, Mark
How did the gold mining go ME Co.? Hope you did well!!!!

September was not overly kind to me, as I found 1-90% and 7-40% out of 8 boxes of halves, which unfortunately is par for the course lately. Also found 2 of those tiny dimes out of 40 rolls in very limited effort.

Good luck out there folks.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Gold was pretty dismal this year- suffice to say I spent way more than I found. I would have been better off at home doing coin, but I was out of the city doing what I wanted for 5 monthes. It wasn't for lack of trying, we just couldn't find another sweet spot that was worth working and we tried dozens. HH all, Mark
BTW two more boxes of halves for tomarrow and probly some dimes as well.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Next boxes of halves also gave up a lone '64 so continue I will. More than a few boxes of dimes only gave up a Merc and 2 Roos- hope todays boxes are better.
HH all, Mark

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
7 boxes dimes gave up 7 Roos yesterday.
Did hear an interesting story from one bank Manager. Young guy came in last week with a $100 or 2 in dimes, coin counter wouldn't take them so he took them up to the teller line. Manager said they were all pre '64's and he would cash them in if he wanted but in all fairness I gotta tell ya that these are worth more than FV. Guy was stunned and said he had about $2500 FV his Grandfather had given him. His Grandfather should have given him an education along with the silver. Next time the manager is going to call ME instead of sending them to the coin shop. One more tidbit, the head manager told the shift manager, 'O yea we had an old lady come into my last branch and cash in 100 old silver dollars, she didn't get the same treatment.
HH all, Mark

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
5 dimes gave up 9 Roos tonight. HH all, Mark

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
For grins we ordered a box of halfs and got nothing.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Go for grins get down and frowns. Tis a prospectors life! Can't win if you don't play!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
For grins we ordered a box of halfs and got nothing.
As long as your still grinning its all good. I sniped (not mine) a box of halves yesterday as well with no joy, pobly bad Karma for takin it. HH Mark

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Got 1 '64 and 1 '66. I'm beginning to wonder if the coin companies are "salting" their boxes. I know they have machines with the capability to sort out silver, yet we still find boxes with just enough to keep us going. They get paid $$ by the banks for every box ordered, yet who orders halves? Just us silly old roll searchers. Yet, if we were skunked every time, we would stop. There's definitely a financial incentive for them to keep us just happy enough to continue ordering boxes. Since my bank doesn't charge ME for the boxes, I'll continue to search so long as I keep finding something, but I really do think something smells funny.

Tinbox

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Got 1 '64 and 1 '66. I'm beginning to wonder if the coin companies are "salting" their boxes. I know they have machines with the capability to sort out silver, yet we still find boxes with just enough to keep us going. They get paid $$ by the banks for every box ordered, yet who orders halves? Just us silly old roll searchers. Yet, if we were skunked every time, we would stop. There's definitely a financial incentive for them to keep us just happy enough to continue ordering boxes. Since my bank doesn't charge ME for the boxes, I'll continue to search so long as I keep finding something, but I really do think something smells funny.
even one 40% half is worth almost $5, I doubt the bank pays then more than $5 for a box. So they wouldn't even profit, if they did it would be a very small profit not worth it imo.... (say they planned to put one 40%er back in every 3 boxes and charged $3 to the bank per box, they would make a tiny profit then, but like I said, I don't see how it could be worth it lol)

Disclaimer, I'm not a roll searcher but enjoy reading about your guy's finds :thumbs_up:

they "salted" 1 of my most recent boxes with 21 40%ers??
while i agree that there appears to be something odd going on- i highly doubt that it's that well coordinated. i think it's more like... little old lady takes a roll of deceased hubby's halves in to the bank and trades them for paper. or, a grandparent gives a child a silver coin and tells them to hang onto it(or whatever), but the kid being in need of instant gratification, goes down and uses it to buy a soda. if you ask most people about silver in old coins, they tend to look at you funny. then, there's the thing about "silver not being worth much", or, "what do i do with silver"?

and if the coin companies were sorting the silver-they'd cash it in themselves vs. a few measly bucks service charge for a box of coins. my bank said that they charge 5 bucks a returned bag ($500 in halves). 1 40%er yields $5, why not replace the silver ones with clad and send the culled silvers out for melting? that would make more business sense.

just my $.02 worth

J6P

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm not completely serious; it just seems odd that silver still shows up in boxes when they have the ability to pull it out. There are even a couple of banks around here that have the machines that drop out the silver so I've learned not to ask for their bags and they've become my dump bank.

To answer the profitability question, though, it would be worth it to Brinks. Look back through the thread and you see it isn't every box; I personally had about 8 skunks before finding something. That's 400 rolls to find about $15, and I've seen even worse streaks from other searchers and on other sites. Last I heard, banks aren't charged for the boxes they order within reason but they are charged for the return bags at 11 cents / roll. So for my month so far, they've made $44 in returned coins and I've made $15. That's a profitable arrangement for both of us at the expense of the dump bank. Hence the reason you don't dump at your supply bank.

I'm just musing a bit here; I don't really think it's happening, but I don't see why they don't just pull out ALL silver whey they have the capability.