• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!!

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Depends on the contract the bank has with Brinks or Loomis. Banks here are paying $5/box as a rolling fee. So that is what the banks that said they have to charge for boxes wanted to charge ME, I had one bank once that when they went to charge said they could get ME $1K bags from Loomis for $3- I got ME alot of bags that way and those cost $5/ at a bank supply place.
Still plugging away so far- had a few 2 box stops where I got a lone '64, then on Wed one box had a 40% showing- that box had the same toned '64 and (7) 40%ers, other box nadda. Dimes have been weak this week with one or two coming out of 4 or 5 boxes.
HH all, Mark

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Odd one today. My bank has a little basket full of coins the coin machine rejects. Found a 1992 10 Nuevo Pesos in it--the bimetallic coin with a 1/6oz sterling silver center.

Also got a 1976 10 peso in clad. Mexicans make some cool coinage.

Last week I went to a local bank and bought them out of Half rolls. I wasn't expecting much as I've been really unlucky for quite awhile. I picked up 17 rolls and went through the first 10 in my car and found 4 or 5 40's. Right before I was ready to leave the parking lot, I decided to look at the rest. I picked up two rolls and my eyes bulged. On the outside in red typewriter stamping was written 1964 Kennedy Halves AU-55. I about dropped a loaf in my pants! Both rolls were full of AU 90's in them. Not bad for a day's work. At the day's silver price I netted 491.xx.

This week I finally ordered more boxes of halves after getting lazy and the first box had 14 40's (I gave one away to a coworker's kid) and the second box had 1 40% in it. Today I decided to get back in the dime game (went through > $500 at work finding perhaps 1 ) and picked up 200 dollars in rolls and found 4 Roosies. I'm getting exited to get back to work now on this. :banana:

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
When I sort my boxes of halves, I also check the dates on the "shiny" edged coins (the ones that look new). Typically, there's only one or two per role, so it doesn't take much extra time. By doing so, you can put together some 2000 - 2011 P & D sets (I only work on building one set at a time to keep it easy). For those who don't know, halves haven't been released into general circulation since 2001. I just found that elusive 2003 D I've been waiting for to complete my current set. $12 face value, listed it on ebay tonight and had a bid for $29.95 within a few minutes. I'm telling you it's a great way to make a few extra bucks. We all are searching for the silver treasure - I just turned some "dump" clad into a Silver Eagle (or darn near close, depending on how it ends).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330820201877?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

By the way, skunked on my last 3 boxes, but had to look at the bright side!

Last edited:

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Still plugging along myself, pulling a little here and a little there. Got 5 Roos tonight from a $5oo bag and two boxes. Yesterday I got 7 Roos from 5 boxes and (5) 40% from 2 boxes of halves. Always seem to pull something but I do alot of boxes most times. Tomarrow I get two boxes of halves and at least 8 dimes. HH all, Mark

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Here's my report for the past 2 months. One half-dollar box was excellent and yielded over 50% of the keepers listed below; otherwise, it's been tough sledding lately with below-average yields to say the least.

Half Boxes: 16
90%: 1 Ben & 2 Kens
40%: 22
Skunks: 7
Guitar Picks: 1

Also found 3 silver Roosies out of ~400 FRN'S worth of dimes, which is uncharacteristically good for me.

Good luck out there GIM folks, we're all pulling on the same rope, and I'm pulling for you.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That cherry box must have whet your appetite for more boxes.

"Thanks" = for finding a guitar pick! :p

Cytic

Here is my October report

Halves Searched: $5066.50
Half Finds: 4 40%
8 90%

Nickels Searched: $1200
Nickel Finds: 12 War Nickels
3 Buffalo Nickels

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
This year is kinda different what with my 5 mo. golding trip in the middle so I havent kept with the month to month bit on my spreadsheet- instead I have YTD, and from when I got home post golding. I've been home 4-5 weeks now and in that time I've got
Dimes- 219 9 are Mercs
90% halves- 5 Kens
40% halves- 29
War Nicks- 5

I never should have went golding this year, or should have came home when it was apparent it wouldn't be profitable. As it is I came back to find a couple banks can't order for ME any longer- as it was I was Grandfathered IN but not with such a long absence. YTD my dimes are at 825. Another thing a friend of mine looking to fill date/MM rolls was trading ME 90% dimes for War Nicks ASW so YTD I'm at 76 on them but while I was gone he got a good deal on a bunch so now only needs a few date/MM's. So much for that as with no avenue to trade them, no sense hunting them.

Anyways still in the hunt somewhat- still looking for the next bright idea. HH Mark

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Re: PROSPECTING for 90% SILVER!!! "Good Day to be a hunter"

Had a fun hunt tonight. 8 boxes of dimes gave up 24 Roos and 2 boxes of halves paid (13) 40%ers. I love it when a plan comes together. HH all, Mark

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You guys and your dimes. I have gone thru about $1500 in boxes and got nothing. :hmmmm2:
When I was doing this I once had 17 straight skunk boxes, not fun. I might get back into it over the winter but we'll see.

Where are your boxes coming from? Any chance it is Brinks with the clear plastic rolls? Those were the worst. Best to worst dime "suppliers" in my area were Garda, Loomis, then Brinks at an extremely distant 3rd. I would choose not to do dimes before doing Brinks again.........

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You guys and your dimes. I have gone thru about $1500 in boxes and got nothing. :hmmmm2:
2 boxes dimes - 9 dimes. 5 boxes halves - nada

$1,500 boxes = 6 boxes with nothing? That is odd. I'd definitely change sources.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Hard time of year for a full time hunter. Obviosely no coin Thursday but then had to scrounge for coin Friday as Thursdays didn't get delivered till late. Anyways was so excited to pick up them dimes I had so much luck with the week before that I made a way and got them yesterday. Total bummer when every box was solid 2012- thought I had got through them all earlier when I had over 100 in a row from two banks. Good thing I had other banks to get a lil fix- got a Merc and 8 Roos out of 5 other boxes.
HH all, Mark

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Got 1 lucky box out of 3. 1 Franklin, 2 Walkers, 1 2006-S Silver Proof, 1 2006-S Clad Proof, and 1 1998-D Clad Proof. Sweet.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Posted this on SNAGS, but figured since I was a frequent poster to this thread and a die-hard prospector, I should toss it in here too. Picked up one CWR from the bank yesterday; greeted with 20 shiny new 1964 Kennedy's. Not a bad return on a $10 investment.
Second use of the banana ====>:banana:

Also 4 more boxes of halves yielded 3 40%, but they were '65's (needed them to finish a tube) so I'm happy. All were in the same box.

Cytic

Here are my results for November.

Halves
Bought: $4710
Found: 98 40%, 1 90%

Dimes
Bought: $350
Found: 0

Nickels
Bought: $934
Found: 4 Buffalo and 15 War Nickels

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Here are my results for November.

Halves
Bought: $4710
Found: 98 40%, 1 90%

Dimes
Bought: $350
Found: 0

Nickels
Bought: $934
Found: 4 Buffalo and 15 War Nickels
That's a nice haul on the 40%!

Cytic

I lucked out on one "drive by" prospecting trip. I got $50 in CWRs that the teller said had been sitting in the bottom of her drawer for a while. Always a good sign. All 98 of those 40%ers were from those five rolls.

Days like these keep me lugging halves around. :cool:

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
All 98 of those 40%ers were from those five rolls.

Days like these keep me lugging halves around. :cool:
Nice to get spoiled like that from time to time. Congrats. I can sure remember some $hit my pants kind of days- been quite awhile though. Can't win if you don't play.
HH all, Mark

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
November wasn't overly kind to me, but what's new? Out of 10 boxes of halves, I received 8-40% and 1-90%. The lone 90% was a Walking Liberty; unfortunately it was a slick and worthy of the proverbial melt bucket. 90%'ers are getting to be an endangered species in this particular neck of the woods. Good luck out there folks.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Thas one of the appealing things about sorting dimes- at least when I find something good its 90%. Here nobody wants the 40%ers (unless of course I want to buy some- then they are ultra-rare), the guy that runs the auctions at the coin club meetings has a LCS, coupe months ago someone put up some 40% and he said we would pay $2/ at the shop- melt was $4.50 at the time. I did sell a $hitlaod of them from my hunting but all had to be shipped off- pain but I have to ship off 90% as well to make an extra $1K/half bag.
Always remember, "You can't win if you don't play". HH Mark

Frogger

I gave it a shot today, my boss accidentally ordered halves instead of quarters so I bought 5 rolls with the cash I had on me. Skunked. Still 5 more sitting in the safe, I'll buy them next time I'm in and give it another try.

gb1980

I have posted on this thread previously about finding silver halves. I had two boxes last week (1,000.00) and found 2 whole rolls of 90%. First time in about 10 years that that happened. I was surprised as well as very happy considering that halves were going for almost 12.00 per.

I just keep prospecting. Some days you win and some days you lose.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
And you can't win if you don't play. HH Mark
I've been playing to the tune of $2,500 this week. Zippo. BUT I will keep on playing on.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I've been playing to the tune of $2,500 this week. Zippo. BUT I will keep on playing on.
Sounds like you need to change tunes haha. Your either on or off, depends on which end of the cycle your at. I'm playing that 10K tune for all its worth, sometimes its so good I wish I had more cash to play with but then again I don't want to get addicted again or don't I.:eating:
Never know when the cycle will change. HH all, Mark

porcupine73

Seeker
Seeker
I used to go prospecting as a kid in the early 80's. I did prospect some half dollar rolls and have maybe a half dozen 40% kennedy halves I got from doing maybe 20 rolls. It was always fun and as a kid your time is cheap so it is worth it. It would be fun to give it a go again. I used to get tons of wheat pennies, which I don't really care about anymore but as a kid it was a fun find. I think I found maybe one silver dime.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Got my 1000th sliver dime today since 1/1/12, not bad considering I had a 5 mo hiatus from CRH over the summer. Two more weeks to go, wonder how many more I can find. Got guys wanting to go to AZ looking for more gold, don't know for sure but if I don't have anything better to do I may drag one of my trailers down for a month or three.
HH all, Mark :4_8_4v:

Cytic

Just from rolls, my MD has only found junk. HH all, Mark
ME where do you order your coins from if you dont mind me asking?

I have $1000 FV in dimes I am picking up from a different source today to see if I can break my bad dime streak.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
ME where do you order your coins from if you dont mind me asking?

I have $1000 FV in dimes I am picking up from a different source today to see if I can break my bad dime streak.
Different bank every day. All you can do is go in and ask if they can/will order for ya. I'm "grandfathered" in most places but even at that lost some banks when I went goldmining for so long. I have enough pickups to keep ME busy so haven't tried to do any "cold calling" for quite awhile.
HH Mark

BTW I'm at 1066 dimes now but I'm pounding them pretty hard.

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Different bank every day. All you can do is go in and ask if they can/will order for ya.
I know it's been said before, but I would also remind you to NOT return your coins to a bank you buy from. You'll get much more cooperation that way. Also, it's worth asking to see if you can buy the filled bags off of their machine. I've had much better success that way, but not every bank is willing to do that. That's how you get to the coins BEFORE they get rolled...if they get rolled in and not pulled out first.

ME Co.

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Just took the trash out for the week- 56 dime boxes but I'm up to 1083. One more week and I will slow down a bit ME thinks. HH all, Mark

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Can't stop till 2000....:captain: