• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

PRS style shooting.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Anyone else here compete in long range Precision Rife Series (PRS) matches? I've become so addicted to this type of shooting that it's definitely consuming a large part of my mental capacity and pay check. The rabbit hole has no bottom. Silver is now dead to me....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sounds like fun. I'll take any silver you don't want.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
PRS is the fastest growing firearms sport going on at the moment, and its only going to grow faster. I enjoy the fact that its a group of like minded folks who are there to compete but want everyone to do well. I've met so many good (young) people at these rifle matches that it gives me hope.
PRS#2.jpg

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I strongly encourage anyone that likes firearms, likes shooting or even thinks they may like shooting to take up some form of shooting sport...lots of choices if you look....sporting clays...rimfire challenge (rifle and pistol), long range rifle shooting, defensive pistol events, 3-gun events....all are soooooo much better then punching paper at home or on the range. Personally, I am shooting IDPA.

Note.....airsoft does not count

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looking to shoot in steel challenge event later this month. 8 stages of 5 preset steel plates. Shoot all plates in any order with exception of the stop plate which is last in fastest time you can. Shoot each stage 5 times recording you fastest 4 strings to get a composite score for each stage. Add all 8 stages up to get total score...fastest win the day in the division you participate in. Divisions include rimfire pistol optic and iron site, rimfire rifle optic and irons, single stack pistol with both sites, stock pistol with both sites, pistol carbine rifle with both. You can compete in multiple divisions at each event...looking forward to it.

https://steelchallenge.com

Zed

Intergalactic Smart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Smooth avatar... getting GrIMmer somehow!

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nothing exceeds like excess. Post some scores.

The area sportsman's clubs have competitive pistol meets and turkey shoots. Lots of fishing tournaments through out the county. I never have time for them.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

The area sportsman's clubs have competitive pistol meets and turkey shoots. Lots of fishing tournaments through out the county. I never have time for them.
I usually finish around the middle of the pack, nothing to brag about, but I'm ok with that. A lot of these guys have been shooting long range rifles for years. I'm still trying to figure it out... I'm about to jump into the world of long range .22lr competitions, a cheap way to keep in practice, read wind, ETC and there are monthly matches about an hour from my house.

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I usually finish around the middle of the pack, nothing to brag about, but I'm ok with that. A lot of these guys have been shooting long range rifles for years. I'm still trying to figure it out... I'm about to jump into the world of long range .22lr competitions, a cheap way to keep in practice, read wind, ETC and there are monthly matches about an hour from my house.
Sounds complicated. It's not just shooting stuff?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

I'm a pretty busy guy too. You have to make time for it. Shooting pistol is pretty affordable, and less time consuming in my opinion. I guarantee you will meet some great folks..... You just gotta do it :)

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Finally got away from .308 and built a new competition rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua. Bought the chassis NIB from a guy who won it in a match but only ran Rem 700 actions. Then had to spend an embarrassing amount of money on weights to get it balanced (but hey, I also bought silver at $30 an ounce at one point). Had a Benchmark barrel threaded in a Savage 12FV action, and done.
Savage 6.5x47 Lapua.jpg

I donated my old chassis to another newer shooter and put my .308 barreled action back in it's original H.S. precision stock that I had modified and cerakoted. Pretty sure i'll hang on to it forever.
.308 in H.S. precision stock.jpg

Having way too much fun with this.

Last edited:

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
What kind of 22lr are you using for long range shooting?

And what is long range??? 100...200...300 yards?
So I bought a Ruger precision rimfire in .22lr. A lot of guys run them with pretty good luck..... But I havent had great luck, and am considering sending it back. After about 10 different match grade brands of ammo I was only able to get Lapua Center X to shoot well. But you can nearly buy .223 ammo for the cost of Center X.
Guys run CZ's, 10/22's and even some Savages. My friend broke down and bought a VuDoo for a ridiculous amount of money.
Local match goes out to 220 yards. 300 yards from what I've heard is pretty typical.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Scored 31st out of 80 shooters in a local match Saturday. It was a very mental course of fire. Longest targets were at 620 yards, so the match directors get creative, and actually make you think LOL. Best of all, met some more great folks!
UNSC rifle match.jpg

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
80 people? That's cool. Just locals?
This is the only PRS style match on the western side of the state. It's about 2.5 hours from where I live. A lot of the participants live very close and this is their home range (nice advantage). But there are a bunch of folks who will come from out of state just to shoot this match. Washington state has a very large PRS community, but its mainly on the eastern side of the state. Most of the Eastern matches are at the National level as far as points/ranking..

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Not bad placement in the scoring there, Mr. smooth. Hope a good time was had by all. What is there for competition? Just range or are there moving targets? Any 'On your mark, get set, go'?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That's a lot of yards! Well done sir.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not bad placement in the scoring there, Mr. smooth. Hope a good time was had by all. What is there for competition? Just range or are there moving targets? Any 'On your mark, get set, go'?
This match was 2 minutes per stage. Each stage is unique, varying distanced targets, different barricades to shoot from (those tires in the pic were very unstable) This was a Star Wars themed match, and pretty fun. The course of fire is as complicated as the Match director's imagination. Hard to explain, but for example sometimes you may not even know what targets you are shooting till after the clock starts. It's very fast paced.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We typically run 6 stages with 12 to 14 per squad.some courses of fire are short and sweet with 18 to 24 rounds being placed on 8 to 10 targets in under 30 seconds. Others are more complicated with the same rd count and targets taking a minute and a half....lots of down time pasting targets and resetting course for next shooter.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'll never afford gold again..... New tool for the kit. There are times when there is no barricade to shoot from, and you need to get above the grass.
tripod.jpg

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Now thats a scary, boogyman type of gun that should be banned.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they tried to make these bolt action rifles illegal. Even though the technology is almost 200 years old. It's a precision gun, not a "sniper rifle". In my opinion there is no such thing as a "sniper rifle" What is real, is a trained rifleman using a rifle as he was trained to use in his craft. Big Difference.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Saturday I had the opportunity to shoot at one of greatest long range rifle facilities in the PNW. It was a PRS regional club match of epic proportion. And the owner of the facility is one of the coolest guys in the sport. He allows folks to show up a day before the match and camp out. So we showed up friday night and after a 6 hour drive checked zero on our rifles and confirmed velocity. Then for the first time ever for me I was able to true my Ballistic coefficient of my bullet, load, and barrel past 1000 yards... Not even gonna mention the results after the wind dropped because I could hardly believe it myself. But lets just say I center punched three rounds at 1168 yards. Probably not repeatable. As for the actual match I shot fair enough, but the truly experienced prevailed, and for the first time I saw true arrogance in the sport. Sponsored douches that skipped ahead of us in stages because they are Well Known ETC. The Irony is they all placed well below my partner who took second over all.
Rock Lake May 25 2019 II.jpg

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
300 yards from what I've heard is pretty typical.
start thinking in feet. flight of a projectile is in feet per second not yards per second and every thing drops at 32 feet per second...did you notice that it is not yards per second? SO, that is 384 inches for flight time at a second of flight.

Just remember this: Which hits the ground first; a bowling ball or a rifle shot?

luk with your endeavors and this comes from a guy who used to plink gophers amongst the cows with a high standard .22; best .22 I ever used.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
1,456 is an average of five different rounds of flight in feet per second.
this translates to 17,472 inches of flight in a second
at a drop of 384 inches per second of flight
so....17,472/384 is a push of 45,5 inches of elevation for one second.
300 yards is 10,800 inches
10,800 of flight time is divided by/ flight per second
so 10,800/45.5 of drop is 237 inches and a third of an inch which is
f'n 19 feet almost 20....f that has got to be tuff when breathing and the heart pumping.

edit: and, yes I was using Wikipedia....even I slum once and a while:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
start thinking in feet. flight of a projectile is in feet per second not yards per second and every thing drops at 32 feet per second...did you notice that it is not yards per second? SO, that is 384 inches for flight time at a second of flight.

Just remember this: Which hits the ground first; a bowling ball or a rifle shot?

luk with your endeavors and this comes from a guy who used to plink gophers amongst the cows with a high standard .22; best .22 I ever used.
Thanks man. But calculating bullet drop is the simple chore. The true challenge is wind. It will fuck with your head depending on direction. It wont only blow you off target horizontally but can effect impacts vertically. Wind is a major study of it's own. This is where the experienced folks score hits that are tougher for us newer shooters. I dial my scope for spin drift and Corealis only, then hold over for wind. @ 1168 yards for that correction alone was just under 17" which would have taken me off target had i not built that into the firing solution.