• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

PRS style shooting.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Anyone else here compete in long range Precision Rife Series (PRS) matches? I've become so addicted to this type of shooting that it's definitely consuming a large part of my mental capacity and pay check. The rabbit hole has no bottom. Silver is now dead to me....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sounds like fun. I'll take any silver you don't want.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
PRS is the fastest growing firearms sport going on at the moment, and its only going to grow faster. I enjoy the fact that its a group of like minded folks who are there to compete but want everyone to do well. I've met so many good (young) people at these rifle matches that it gives me hope.
PRS#2.jpg

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I strongly encourage anyone that likes firearms, likes shooting or even thinks they may like shooting to take up some form of shooting sport...lots of choices if you look....sporting clays...rimfire challenge (rifle and pistol), long range rifle shooting, defensive pistol events, 3-gun events....all are soooooo much better then punching paper at home or on the range. Personally, I am shooting IDPA.

Note.....airsoft does not count

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looking to shoot in steel challenge event later this month. 8 stages of 5 preset steel plates. Shoot all plates in any order with exception of the stop plate which is last in fastest time you can. Shoot each stage 5 times recording you fastest 4 strings to get a composite score for each stage. Add all 8 stages up to get total score...fastest win the day in the division you participate in. Divisions include rimfire pistol optic and iron site, rimfire rifle optic and irons, single stack pistol with both sites, stock pistol with both sites, pistol carbine rifle with both. You can compete in multiple divisions at each event...looking forward to it.

https://steelchallenge.com

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Smooth avatar... getting GrIMmer somehow!

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nothing exceeds like excess. Post some scores.

The area sportsman's clubs have competitive pistol meets and turkey shoots. Lots of fishing tournaments through out the county. I never have time for them.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

The area sportsman's clubs have competitive pistol meets and turkey shoots. Lots of fishing tournaments through out the county. I never have time for them.
I usually finish around the middle of the pack, nothing to brag about, but I'm ok with that. A lot of these guys have been shooting long range rifles for years. I'm still trying to figure it out... I'm about to jump into the world of long range .22lr competitions, a cheap way to keep in practice, read wind, ETC and there are monthly matches about an hour from my house.

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I usually finish around the middle of the pack, nothing to brag about, but I'm ok with that. A lot of these guys have been shooting long range rifles for years. I'm still trying to figure it out... I'm about to jump into the world of long range .22lr competitions, a cheap way to keep in practice, read wind, ETC and there are monthly matches about an hour from my house.
Sounds complicated. It's not just shooting stuff?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

I'm a pretty busy guy too. You have to make time for it. Shooting pistol is pretty affordable, and less time consuming in my opinion. I guarantee you will meet some great folks..... You just gotta do it :)

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Finally got away from .308 and built a new competition rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua. Bought the chassis NIB from a guy who won it in a match but only ran Rem 700 actions. Then had to spend an embarrassing amount of money on weights to get it balanced (but hey, I also bought silver at $30 an ounce at one point). Had a Benchmark barrel threaded in a Savage 12FV action, and done.
Savage 6.5x47 Lapua.jpg

I donated my old chassis to another newer shooter and put my .308 barreled action back in it's original H.S. precision stock that I had modified and cerakoted. Pretty sure i'll hang on to it forever.
.308 in H.S. precision stock.jpg

Having way too much fun with this.

Last edited:

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
What kind of 22lr are you using for long range shooting?

And what is long range??? 100...200...300 yards?
So I bought a Ruger precision rimfire in .22lr. A lot of guys run them with pretty good luck..... But I havent had great luck, and am considering sending it back. After about 10 different match grade brands of ammo I was only able to get Lapua Center X to shoot well. But you can nearly buy .223 ammo for the cost of Center X.
Guys run CZ's, 10/22's and even some Savages. My friend broke down and bought a VuDoo for a ridiculous amount of money.
Local match goes out to 220 yards. 300 yards from what I've heard is pretty typical.