• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Question for everyone

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Over the last month I have received three unsolicited packages containing low value items. Two from amazon and yesterday one from a post office box number. Nothing has been charged to any credit cards I own. Amazon, when I inquired said the first one was delivered to the wrong address. With the second amazon package they offered no excuse but affirmed nothing had been ordered by me in the last six months. None of the items are of any use to me and amazon said "Keep it".

So WTF is going on here? This looks like a credit card scam — but no charges to me have been made. Has anyone else had this occur?

BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Over the last month I have received three unsolicited packages containing low value items. Two from amazon and yesterday one from a post office box number. Nothing has been charged to any credit cards I own. Amazon, when I inquired said the first one was delivered to the wrong address. With the second amazon package they offered no excuse but affirmed nothing had been ordered by me in the last six months. None of the items are of any use to me and amazon said "Keep it".

So WTF is going on here? This looks like a credit card scam — but no charges to me have been made. Has anyone else had this occur?

BF
I would disinfect the heck out of whatever it is and you after touching it and refrain from touching further items.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Just keep 'em...

There could be a scam going on, but as long as you weren't charged for it... free is free!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
you weren't charged for it... free is free!
Yeah, like I gots lots of use for a three deck card shuffler or a cheap assed plastic julienne tool.

why couldn't they send me an AR15

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Did you check for listening/spy type devices? As we type, the Chinese/NSA/Mossad listen...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yeah, like I gots lots of use for a three deck card shuffler or a cheap assed plastic julienne tool.

why couldn't they send me an AR15
This reminds me of something. A few years back I was on eBay a lot and ended up searching for some random thing which led me to finding some unique items being sold by Chinese sellers where in the cost of the product including shipping was to me far less than the shipping cost alone should be. I scratched my head pondering the "why" & how people could be shipping trinkets from China, purchase price included, a cost cheaper than I can even mail the same small trinket to someone in the next town...not including the price of the item.... a relatively short time later I read something about this scenario in why they're doing it of course I can't remember what it was now. I think it had something to do with shipping subsidies perhaps tied to eBay I don't know if anyone can shed light on it it would be appreciated.

By the way I bought several of these Trinkets and they were actually shipped to me as well so it wasn't just something I had seen.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Did you check for listening/spy type devices? As we type, the Chinese/NSA/Mossad listen...
I thoroughly enjoy entertaining them with my slightly insane monologues and freestyle excitations. I get a laugh picturing the ears on the other end in complete confusion and disbelief.
In other words I like to be open about my being completely nuts. It's like if you ever find yourself around a group of violent blacks. They don't mess with crazy.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
This is probably a scam where a seller creates false purchases using dummy accounts so that they can give themselves good ratings and feedback. They apparently use valid names and addresses for the phony accounts, and congratulations, they picked you to "place the order, get the kitsch, and give them good ratings."

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

BF
It's more trouble and expense for Amazon to process the return than to let you keep the stuff. They'll eat the value of the goods, whatever it was.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
This reminds me of something. A few years back I was on eBay a lot and ended up searching for some random thing which led me to finding some unique items being sold by Chinese sellers where in the cost of the product including shipping was to me far less than the shipping cost alone should be. I scratched my head pondering the "why" & how people could be shipping trinkets from China, purchase price included, a cost cheaper than I can even mail the same small trinket to someone in the next town...not including the price of the item.... a relatively short time later I read something about this scenario in why they're doing it of course I can't remember what it was now. I think it had something to do with shipping subsidies perhaps tied to eBay I don't know if anyone can shed light on it it would be appreciated.

By the way I bought several of these Trinkets and they were actually shipped to me as well so it wasn't just something I had seen.
Some postal agreement from a while back when China was a poor country. It was suppose to end recently.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Some postal agreement from a while back when China was a poor country. It was suppose to end recently.
That's what it was, thanks.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
https://postandparcel.info/33407/news/usps-ebay-gc-and-china-post-enter-partnership/

USPS, EBAY GC AND CHINA POST ENTER PARTNERSHIP

May 28, 2010 | News | 0
USPS has entered into an international tri-lateral agreement with eBay Greater China & Southeast Asia (eBay GC) and China Post Express & Logistics Corporation. The agreement creates a new shipping platform for international tracking and delivery of lightweight goods ordered by consumers in the US from eBay sellers in China.

The collaborative service and marketing agreement for these lightweight shipments provides US consumers with “greater convenience and delivery confirmation information online at usps.com,” a company statement said.

Sellers using eBay GC can track their shipments with electronic notifications such as in-process and proof-of-delivery scans at ebay.cn. Upon arrival in the US., these shipments are processed as domestic First-Class Mail, with a one to three-day delivery standard.

Sellers in China using the shipping platform through eBay GC are expected to ship small items such as cellular telephone accessories and electronics weighing up to 4.4 pounds (2 kilos), with most in the range of 13 ounces and under.

“This collaboration will increase convenience and improve delivery consistency for American consumers ordering small shipments from merchants in China, and holds great potential for increasing international package volumes for the Postal Service,” said Pranab Shah, managing director and vice president, Global Business. “We look forward to working with our business partners to build upon this agreement as we move forward.”
The agreement is in keeping with strategies to increase revenue and meet demand in the global marketplace as outlined in a comprehensive plan announced recently by the Postal Service. Ensuring a Viable Postal Service for America, the Postal Service action plan for the next decade, describes a flexible, agile Postal Service that can adapt to America’s changing mailing habits and preferences.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
OK. So if it's any of youse guys would you please send me something that I can utilize? Any caliber will do.
Im still waiting for this to be released in chrome

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I doubt any thing will come of it, and you have recourse with credit card charges. My credit card wouldn't let me make a purchase the other day from an electronics company based in Canada. They called with an automated message asking if I tried to make the purchase - press one if you it was you, which then authorized the charge. First time that has happened.

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
it wasn't me man, i didn't do it!!!
:surrender:

Idea:
keep the items for a short while to protect yourself, then next spring, when the masks come off, do a yarzal zale

1603058571746.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
with any good luck, maybe it'll only be the batteries
AA Duracells, a whole case

:2 thumbs up:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Possible prank from an old friend with friends (accomplices) in many states? Just because there's a return address on a package, it doesn't mean it actually came from there.

Been there, done that.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Nothing sent to me but I have had at least 2 dozen phishing scam emails sent to me lately trying to get my amazon and 2 times my ebay/paypal account information. They say account locked blah blah click here to fix it blah blah. Some have been ridiculously obvious but many looked totally legit. Even the return email address looked legit but of course none of them were. I report them to hotmail as phishing scams.

Mrs Irons has been flooded with them too. It all started approx 2 months ago.

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Brushing

Brushing is a deceitful technique sometimes used in e-commerce to boost a seller's ratings by creating fake orders.[1][2][3][4]

Background
Most e-commerce sites rate sellers by multiple criteria and display these seller ratings to customers. Since a good rating can boost sales, these ratings are very important to sellers. The number of items sold is usually an important factor in that rating. Brushing consists of generating fake orders to boost the rating.

A seller can do this by paying someone a small amount to place a fake order, or just using another person's information to place an order themselves.[4] Because a shipment usually has to take place for an order to be considered valid by the e-commerce site, the seller will frequently ship an empty box or some cheap item.[1] These fake orders, if unnoticed, can boost the seller's rating, which can make it more likely that their items will appear at the top of search results on e-commerce sites.[1][4]

Many e-commerce sites have recognized the problem and claim to actively combat brushing.[1][2] One company that has received a lot of attention is Alibaba, and in the prospectus they published before their initial public offering they even mentioned the problem.[4] Brushing also inflates the numbers reported on a company's financial statements, and therefore it also attracts the scrutiny of investors and market regulators. For instance, the US Securities and Exchange Commission opened a probe to investigate the validity of their data when Alibaba reported revenue of more than $14 billion on Singles Day.[

Not just Amazon etc, but all Chi-na. See cheap think Chi-na.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Brushing

Brushing is a deceitful technique sometimes used in e-commerce to boost a seller's ratings by creating fake orders.[1][2][3][4]

Background
Most e-commerce sites rate sellers by multiple criteria and display these seller ratings to customers. Since a good rating can boost sales, these ratings are very important to sellers. The number of items sold is usually an important factor in that rating. Brushing consists of generating fake orders to boost the rating.

A seller can do this by paying someone a small amount to place a fake order, or just using another person's information to place an order themselves.[4] Because a shipment usually has to take place for an order to be considered valid by the e-commerce site, the seller will frequently ship an empty box or some cheap item.[1] These fake orders, if unnoticed, can boost the seller's rating, which can make it more likely that their items will appear at the top of search results on e-commerce sites.[1][4]

Many e-commerce sites have recognized the problem and claim to actively combat brushing.[1][2] One company that has received a lot of attention is Alibaba, and in the prospectus they published before their initial public offering they even mentioned the problem.[4] Brushing also inflates the numbers reported on a company's financial statements, and therefore it also attracts the scrutiny of investors and market regulators. For instance, the US Securities and Exchange Commission opened a probe to investigate the validity of their data when Alibaba reported revenue of more than $14 billion on Singles Day.[

Not just Amazon etc, but all Chi-na. See cheap think Chi-na.
People do this on ebay too but some do it in creative ways. Couple years ago there was a guy selling $2 bills for $1 and you could only buy one.
Someone posted the link and a lot of us on here got $2 bills from the guy!

:2 thumbs up:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

BF
YES.........my female unit has been receiving email confirmations of shipping of items from Amazon......she #1 changed her amazon password and maintained her account information.....#2 she noticed there were new credit card #s added to her amazon account...#3 she verified no charges had been made to her credit card........#4 she started receiving packages ......#5 she contacted Amazon after a dance around they basically told her to just keep the packages......#6 they did not do anything visible to her account that we could see....... we received some packages ....a blanket...a dremel nail file...etc... this is still ongoing but we are on record with amazon and are not taking it any further............looks like we will have a good supply of white elephant Christmas gifts this year (she still has the items in the boxes sitting in a corner)

this is the scenario i remember from the female unit if you would like further detail i will be happy to confirm or further verify any questions you might have for her

Last edited: