• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Question for the numis

madhu

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The value of Numis in gold are in a downward trend and have been down more than 65%. Same thing with collectors items, paintings, stamps etc. The rarity of the coin ( the less number of available coins) has been way overpriced that when you want to sell it u will not get the premium back.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Since you found it in change I don't think there is a cost premium attached so no issue there. Melt value is just under $1.20 and, obviously, he condition of this coin won't do it any favors....

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
1942 Mercury Dime

CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1942 Mercury Dime value at an average of $2, one in certified mint state (MS+) could be worth $50. (see details)...

Type: Mercury Dime
Year: 1942
Mint Mark: No mint mark
Face Value: 0.10 USD
Total Produced: 205,410,000 [?]
Silver Content: 90%
Silver Weight: .0723 oz.
Silver Melt: $1.18
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in average condition will be valued at somewhere around $2, while one in certified mint state (MS+) condition could bring as much as $50 at auction. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say average, we mean in a similar condition to other coins issued in 1942, and mint state meaning it is certified MS+ by one of the top coin grading companies. [?].

Additional Info: 67% of all 1942 Mercury dimes were minted here at the (p) Philadelphia mint. Included in the numbers above are 22 thousand proofs worth around $400 each. Also look for an error 2 over 1 that is worth between 600 and 15k. If you see what looks to be a 2 and 1 combined you have a coin worth some big money. When buying or selling Mercury Dimes full bands are key.

Numismatic vs Intrinsic Value: This coin in poor condition is still worth $0.82 more than the intrinsic value from silver content of $1.18, this coin is thus more valuable to a collector than to a silver bug. Coins worth more to a collectors may be a better long term investment. If the metal prices drop you will still have a coin that a numismatic would want to buy.

Want more info? Then read Coin Collecting Investment an article that details the benifits of coin collecting as a way to build wealth. Also learn how to properly store your coins.

Current silver melt value* for a 1942 No mint mark is $1.18 and this price is based off the current silver spot price of $16.36 This value is dynamic so bookmark it and comeback for an up to the minute silver melt value.

http://cointrackers.com/coins/157/1942-mercury-dime/

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice score. i was watching a guy use a coinstar last night. Unfortunately for me he knew what the kick back tray was. I'll give you a quarter for that dime. Reminds me of one of the Bazooka Joe comics. Granny asks Joe if he'd like a shiny new penny. He replied that he'd rather have a dirty old dime.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Dirty silver is still silver,,,,,dirty can be removed

...and Scorpio...great info