• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Quit a 50 year habit of Soda-Pop - replaced with home-made ice tea

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
All my life, apart from alcoholic beverages, almost never drank any water, just soda (Coke, Mountain Dew, Root Beer).
12-pack a day.
Back on December 15 2016 I just decided to switch....

So I make my own "blend".
5 tea bags (2 "Earl Grey", and 3 "Green Tea with Mint")
With the "quick electric kettle" I boil water, and pour it in a big pot with the tea bags hooked to the handle. Repeat til' full.

Pot holds about 1.5 gallons. When full, I add (a lot) of sugar, 'till it suits my taste, and immediately fill thermoses & glass bottles (with a funnel).

Then I boil more water to fill the pot again (keeping the same tea bags) - add sugar again - and fill 5 more quart-size glass bottles.

And it all goes in the fridge, and lasts me 2-4 days. Only takes about 15mn. And the savings are HUGE.

Tastes GREAT, hot or cold... or even room temperature.

No caffeine, no additives... Not "healthy" really (with the amount of sugar I use - I might try Stevia) - and too bad for Coca-cola shareholders, haha!

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
For iced tea, I use a half tablespoon of powdered stevia per gallon. It makes a nice sweet tea. For Kool-Aid, I use two packets (unsweetened), one tablespoon of stevia, and one and a half tablespoons of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). The C is obviously healthy, and it adds a nice tartness to the flavor.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
For iced tea, I use a half tablespoon of powdered stevia per gallon. It makes a nice sweet tea. For Kool-Aid, I use two packets (unsweetened), one tablespoon of stevia, and one and a half tablespoons of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). The C is obviously healthy, and it adds a nice tartness to the flavor.
Yeah, it doesn't take much stevia to sweeten things up. A little stevia and tru-lemon and iced tea tastes good. Way cheaper than soda and store bought iced tea.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Put a handful or two of clean mint leaves in a gallon jar of water in the sun for a day, then filter and place in the fridge until cold. So refreshing on a hot day.

R.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
2 bags Lousian to a gallon. Hot water but never boil.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I am a regular tea drinker and only 2 cups of coffee over the weekend because it gives me reflux. I have been drinking iced tea since I was a child since it is the law in Florida.

1. You don't need to boil water for iced tea. Just fill a pitcher with water and let the tea bags hang inside while being supported by the closed lid unless you use the big bags with no strings. Let it sit on the counter overnight and you will have tea the next day.

2. +100 on the Early Grey, my favorite.

3. For hot tea in the morning, mid-morning, late afternoon and after dinner, but never at dusk- I recommend using a Hamilton Beach tea kettle pictured for $35 @ Walmart. It has a timer which is never used because it boils the whole pot in 2 minutes. It also has 3 temperature settings if you want the water slightly cooler. Great for instant soups too.

4. I get the to-go cups at Sam's and purchased the thermos for $12 at Walmart. It is insulated and keeps the water hot all day. All I do is put water in it and brew in the cup.

5. Bigelow brand is good and readily available. I like it better than Twinings. Tazo makes great tea and I really like the double bergamot Earl Grey from Stash which is perfect in the early morning. Not a fan of the greens and herbals.

6. I drink it black, no milk, sugar or lemon. That's how the Chinese drink it too.

20170608_152440.jpg

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Back on December 15 2016 I just decided to switch....
Congratulations, dacrunch.
Very smart move !!

I did it so long ago, I can't remember exactly when. Probably 1992.
I was drinking a 12 pk of Diet Pepsi a day. Started to lose weight almost immediately !
Diet drinks are NOT !

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I drink cold tea that I sun brew. Got a gallon glass jug I make it in.
Nothing but tea. I used to put some lemon in it, but now I just drink it black or with ice.
No sweetener. Got used to it and it is a great refresher.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
... For Kool-Aid, I use two packets (unsweetened), one tablespoon of stevia, and one and a half tablespoons of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). The C is obviously healthy, and it adds a nice tartness to the flavor.
I do this w/ my sugar-free powdered drinks except I break in half a 1000mg Vit C. and drop both pieces in the water before I put the drink mix in. Stir in the dry mix ( Hi-C Orange, Lemonade, Green Tea, and top off with ice.
It takes the pill time to dissolve but like S_e, I like the tartness flavor and the health benefit.
Lately I've almost become addicted to Strawberry-Lemonade, especially WYLER'S brand.
I've got a half gallon insulated travel jug that will last me anywhere from 12-24 hours.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I drink cold tea that I sun brew. Got a gallon glass jug I make it in.
Nothing but tea. I used to put some lemon in it, but now I just drink it black or with ice.
No sweetener. Got used to it and it is a great refresher.

Didn't we call that "sun tea" back in the 80's

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
I buy Uncle Lees organic green tea bags at Wal Mart. 100 bags for about 4 bucks. I like it strong. If I make sun tea, I'll put 10 bags in a gallon jug. Heat up method, I go down to 8 bags. Way healthier than soda. I quit that shit a long time ago. Been a big time water drinker for 20+ years now as well. Gotta end the tea drinking by 4 pm, or I'll be up 2 or 3 times during the night.

platinumdude

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
I drink ice tea with a slice of lemon and no sweeteners. Nothing wrong with lemon unless you don't like the taste. I also drink hot green tea with no lemon. I don't drink anything with sugar in it, or artificial junk.

I should add, I avoid foods with sugar in it as well. Or as least very low sugar.

the_shootist

The war is here on our doorstep!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I swore off soda a couple of years ago. I drank the worst soda, diet Coke. I dawned on me that most people I see drinking Diet Coke weighed over 250 lbs. I went to water and have felt a lot better about myself and have even lost a couple of pounds....fancy that huh?

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
WOW!

I wouldn't drink more than a 12 pack in a YEAR! That's a MASSIVE sugar load, I don't know how you handle it... that would send me troppo!

BTW... tea is loaded with caffine, pretty much the same as coffee depending on how you brew it. Not the same in your face rush as coffee but blended right it can be a higher caffeine load.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Congrats! I might drink a soda a week, but love iced tea. I remember a guy that posted here that also had a soda habit. Then He bought a soda machine and brewed his own with no HFCS and dug it. Think He went by "Slags", maybe He'll chime in....

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Dammit man! I need my KO dividends!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I like my well water (very high quality) with 1/2 a lemon or lime, squeezed into it.

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I grew up on sweet tea, but only drink water now....and 8oz of OJ in the morning with my plain 100% whole grain old fashioned oats

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
If you have to use sugar use the sugar in the raw, not as bad as the white crap

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
NO SUGAR - NO CALORIES

less than $3 for 24 - 8oz servings

I just use the bottles - poured their sparkling water out and put in tap water (free)

WITH FIVE SQUIRTS from the Koolaid drink mix. It's enough for all day.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
First off, Da crunch - smart move and congrats. Possible the single best move you can make for your health is giving up the consumption of liquid sugar, particularly that found in sodas.

Ascirbic C is good unless it is derived from corn (which most is) and 97% of it is GMO corn. I'd find a more natural source of C like powder acerola berries.

I drink ice tea with a slice of lemon and no sweeteners. Nothing wrong with lemon unless you don't like the taste. I also drink hot green tea with no lemon. I don't drink anything with sugar in it, or artificial junk.

I should add, I avoid foods with sugar in it as well. Or as least very low sugar.
You and me both. Sugar is one of the most deadly "food" substances you can consume...especially in the quantities we do. Cut it out anywhere possible.

Water w a slice of lemon...
That's my beverage of choice...when I'm not drinking beer...and it's free!

View attachment 91351

No more than 2 a day. Used to be only one. Maybe that's why I am awake right now.
Monster will kill you. No joke.

NO SUGAR - NO CALORIES

less than $3 for 24 - 8oz servings

I just use the bottles - poured their sparkling water out and put in tap water (free)

WITH FIVE SQUIRTS from the Koolaid drink mix. It's enough for all day.
Question - if there is no sugar or additives, what do you think makes that kool aid look blue and taste sweet and flavored?

As they say, don't drink the koolaide

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
especially in jonestown....

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
You buy bottled water that you then waste, just to be able to re-use the bottle it came in? Why not find a regular water bottle you like and just buy it once and re-use it forever?
....and I don't know where you live, but where I live tap water isn't "free". A bill for it comes every month. Certainly cheaper than bottled though, but not free.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
That's what they all say, but I never hear how that happens. What is evil about it?
Read the ingredients and then look up what those substances are and how they impact the human body.

Instead of writing "poison" on the bottle they use big fancy synonymous words and then distract you with this bright neon colored labels and fancy font.

But I digress.....

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Drinking 2 put a friends 15 yo daughter in the hospital with rapid heart beat.......
I've had 2 sips of a "free give away" Red Bull it tasted terrible!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I heard Starbucks sells all it coffee ground waste to producers like Monster an Red Bull and they extract as much caffeine as they can for their products.
Other big coffee shops probably do the same thing.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Read the ingredients and then look up what those substances are and how they impact the human body.

Instead of writing "poison" on the bottle they use big fancy synonymous words and then distract you with this bright neon colored labels and fancy font.

But I digress.....

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled.
Thanks. I will look into those. I live a highly caffeinated life. Our coffee maker crapped out a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was a catastrophe.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
JP - actually it's red - so they use 'red dye #3' if memory serves - and a few drops of other chemicals - better living through kemistery

JK, - what you said is EXACTLY what I did. That water bottle that I bought that had sparkling water in it (read carbonated - which I hate and is why I threw it out) actually IS a really nice water bottle that will last me years,

And it cost me $1.87 per bottle, and I purchased three of these for my koolaid fix - two 'red ones' - two different flavors and a yellow one that is lemonaide - VOSS also makes a little larger one that is GLASS and I got three of those and currently only put water in them. Again, poured the carbonated water out and filled it with tap water. And the glass bottles are REALLY SLICK.

thanks for the suggestion - IT IS WHAT I DO ALREADY

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Wallew, that red dye is a petrochemical

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Wallew, that red dye is a petrochemical
It's illegal to add it to anything intended to be applied to the skin due to it having been shown to damage DNA, but supposedly it's ok to eat it. Why? Because FDA says so. lol

That water bottle that I bought that had sparkling water in it (read carbonated - which I hate and is why I threw it out) actually IS a really nice water bottle that will last me years,
Yea, I can't stand the sparkling water either. Just a fancy name for seltzer water.