• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Radiant Heat Flooring

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Anyone here ever install a radiant heat flooring system?

If so:
What was the cost per SQ FT? I know it can vary wildly depending on product.
Can you recommend a product/manufacturer?
Was it a PITA to install?
Was it worth it? - Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?
Any tips on things to look out for?
Any issues arise since you've installed it?

I'm in Texas so I don't really have that great a need for it. Actually, more or less, just something the wife would "prefer" to have if it's deemed worth it.

We're remodeling the master bath, taking it down to studs and the slab, so IF I'm ever gonna do this, now would be the time.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I put electric floor heat in my master bath. The heating elements are in a matt imbedded in the mortar under the tiles. The system for my 4x10 foot area was about $400 total. The thermostat was over $200 of that. I would put it in again and I wish I would have put it in my guest bath too. I picked mine up at home depot.

BP

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Same here. It's easy and relatively cheap. I haven't personally lived with it since I've only installed for others aside from the one I hadn't hooked up yet before my divorce.
Esmond Bathroom SS (5).JPG
Esmond Bathroom SS (9).JPG

Attachments

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
New Englandehr heahr. I helped my older brother run lines on his garage floor before the slab was poured. We also attempted to place them in between joists for first floor. Temprature was in 40's and tubing was not very flexible. Very comfortable walking on a heated floor.

Seeing as you've got slab poured, go with recommendations from Bushpilot and newmisty.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I'm from Ft. Lauderdale and never seen that before. Can you make toast on that?

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
My parents home had the radiant ceiling heat, wright-bachman home built in 1969, they all failed pretty quickly, most of those homes burned down.

Today there would have been a major class action lawsuit

BackwardsEngineeer

What me worry?
Silver Miner
I have used it in several homes, mostly in the tiled bath floors. Used the thermos oft product on the last one. Super easy to put in prior to tiling, ran extra thermocouple should it fail and honestly truly loved the result. We had a large master bath that had a vaulted ceiling 14 at the peak, so keeping heat at the floor was difficult, we used the floor heat to maintain room temp and pretty much turned the other system off... 40+ years ago while living up north the people across the street had a in slab hydronic system with valves at one end of the slab. I remember walking over after a large snow in extremely cold weather, left my boots at the front door an hour later all the tracked in snow was gone and my boots dry.
Radiant is awesome heat, truly wish we had it in our current place even here in SC.... when you feet are warm you are warm!