• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Random Pictures thread !

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
New thread that is not for news stories,

Just a place to pull up, talk shit, and have a drink

Hey barkeep, make mine a double

View attachment 86821
Never cared for those square glasses.
I have trouble enough not spilling shit on my shirt,

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Ah'll hae a pint o' heavy, lass.

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Cool comparison between modded vs. un-modded.

I noticed a few motes on your image so I thought I would mention it but not anything major. As far as my experience goes they will often show up to some extent so it doesn't mean anything is flawed in your setup as a few bits of dust can be hard to avoid. When I started making flat frames I was pleased with how well they can compensate for them. Again though, your image is really nice as it is.

I also had my camera modified by Hap Griffin. He has modified 2 of my cameras. I definitely can recommend his work.

Another random pic, to go with the theme of the thread. :)

Andromeda Galaxy
View attachment 86813
Eric can I ask how you detected the dust motes in the image. I am trying to learn as much as I can. I will be upgrading my AP-900 mount to use PemPro in preparation to use a guidescope. what a S L of work this is LOL.

Thanks in advance!!!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
George Thorogood - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - 7/5/1984 - Capitol Theatre (Official)
GeorgeThorogood on MV

Published on Sep 15, 2014
George Thorogood - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
Recorded Live: 7/5/1984 - Capitol Theatre - Passaic, NJ
More George Thorogood at Music Vault: http://www.musicvault.com
Subscribe to Music Vault on YouTube: http://goo.gl/DUzpUF

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Hey !

No bs vids, links whatever here

We don't take to that kind in this place............

you want music, pull up a chair and grab that GEE tar over there

no corporate bs, marketing, snake oil salesman

please check all cell phones and trinkets at the door,

don't forget your weapon of choice,

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Vintage Photos of People Mesmerized by Store Windows Stocked with Christmas Goodies in New York City from the 1900s

Each year department stores unveil their holiday window displays to admiring crowds. Festive windows have been a tradition in New York City since the 1870s; R.H. Macy, of the retailer Macy’s, is largely credited with having created one of the first Christmas window displays in 1874.

In recent years, gazing into store windows has become almost as much a tradition as the actual buying of gifts, which of course, is the ultimate goal of the windows–to get shoppers in the door. Today, an estimated 15,000 people pass by the store’s elaborate windows every hour during the season.

Today we look back to a time before online shopping, when browsing was done through a pane of glass. Delight in these vintage photos of people mesmerized by holiday windows from between the 1900s and 1910s.

Shoppers gather around a window, 1900.

Christmas shoppers, window shopping, New York, 1900.

Boy looking at Xmas toys in shop window, 1900.

Children looking at Xmas toys in shop window, 1900.

Christmas toys on display, 1910.

Captivated by Christmas toys, 1910.

(Images: Library of Congress, via Atlas Obscura)

http://www.vintag.es/2016/11/vintage-photos-of-people-mesmerized-by.html

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
27 Amazing Vintage Photos That Capture Everyday Life in Brooklyn in 1946

Brooklyn is big. If it were its own city, and not part of Gotham, its 2.5 million residents would make up the fourth largest metropolis in the United States. Brooklyn covers almost a hundred square miles of intensely varied terrain, from the beaches of Coney Island and Sea Gate to the brownstones of Park Slope and the thronging sidewalks of Williamsburg—a neighborhood filled with stoop-shouldered young men who, evidently, can afford fedoras but have difficulty finding socks, or pants that fit.

There’s cobblestoned Dumbo; the mean streets of East New York; the mansions of Brooklyn Heights; the tree-lined avenues (and, miracle of miracles, driveways) of Ditmas Park; the glories of Prospect Park; the soaring container cranes of Red Hook; the unnameable, party-colored, aromatic ooze of the Gowanus Canal.

The borough boasts countless ethnicities, creeds and religions. It’s somehow wildly bustling and unselfconsciously low-key at the same time. It has given the world memorable phrases (fuhgeddaboudit) and immortal delicacies (the egg cream—with no egg and no cream).

Decades before Brooklyn became synonymous with hipsters, hip-hop and locavores, photographer Ed Clark caught the spirit of the place just right after World War II.

View of the Manhattan Bridge, connecting Brooklyn with that island across the East River, 1946.

Trolleys & tracks at corner of Flushing Ave., Graham & Broadway.

Brooklyn, New York, 1946.

Corner of Middagh and Hicks, Brooklyn Heights, 1946.

Jumping rope on Siegel Street near Humboldt, Brooklyn, 1946.

City veterans housing project, Canarsie, Brooklyn, 1946.

Laundry out to dry, Brooklyn, 1946.

Brooklyn street scene, 1946.

Unidentified Brooklynite, 1946.

Taking the sun on a Brooklyn rooftop, 1946.

Listening to a Dodgers-Giants ballgame on the radio, Brooklyn, 1946.

Ebbets Field, 55 Sullivan Place, Brooklyn, 1946.

Dodgers ballgame, Ebbets Field, Brooklyn, 1946.

Dodgers fans, Ebbets Field, Brooklyn, 1946.

Jack Kaufman outside his barber shop on Rogers Avenue in Brooklyn in 1946, holding a signed baseball that once beaned future Hall of Famer Joe Medwick.

Subway entrance, Eastern Parkway at Utica Avenue, Brooklyn, 1946.

Brooklyn, 1946.

Grand Army Plaza, Prospect Park, Brooklyn, 1946.

Prospect Park, Brooklyn, 1946.

Gowanus Canal, Brooklyn, 1946.

On the waterfront, Brooklyn, 1946.

Moore Street near Graham Avenue, Brooklyn, 1946.

Sumner Avenue (now Marcus Garvey Boulevard) near Myrtle Avenue in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, 1946.

Grocery shopping, Brooklyn, 1946.

Unidentified boys, Brooklyn, 1946.

Under the elevated tracks, Broadway at Lynch, Brooklyn, 1946.

Brooklyn Bridge, 1946.

(Photos: Ed Clark—The LIFE Picture Collection/Getty Images)

http://www.vintag.es/2015/11/hipsterless-brooklyn-vintage-photos.html

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Eric can I ask how you detected the dust motes in the image. I am trying to learn as much as I can. I will be upgrading my AP-900 mount to use PemPro in preparation to use a guidescope. what a S L of work this is LOL.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sure thing! It may just be that my monitor is calibrated to show more faint detail than yours. To help you see, I took the liberty of downloading your image and just did a rough brightening of the levels. The dust motes are the darker circles.

IMG_0002_1pp2BS.jpg

Without getting in to too much detail about flat frames I want to at least mention a few details about what they are and why they can help. Typically I only use them when I am stacking multiple images. Flat frames are an image taken using the exact same setup as you use to photograph the object. They must have the same camera orientation and even the same focus (so it might be too late for this image, but something you might consider on your next especially if you get in to stacking multiple). The difference is you would point the telescope at something that is evenly lit (I use a white board with the scope just a couple feet away, some people even use the sky after it gets light out or a white computer screen with a white t-shirt covering the objective). Expose it maybe just slightly overexposed from what the camera's meter would say. You end up with a mostly "blank" image but you will notice it will show each of the dust motes and also show how even the lighting is across the frame. I usually take about 30 flat frames so my stacking software (DeepSkyStacker) can average them together for a cleaner frame. The stacking software will divide your image by the flat frame, essentially, which causes those dark areas to lighten up proportionally in a way that can make them much harder to notice.

Feel free to PM me any time if you have any further questions about this. This is a passion of mine and having done astrophotography since 2002 perhaps I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I have made. :)

Clear skies,
Eric

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
That's a fine looking drink, Scorp; but I can't figure out: is the glass half empty or is it half full. A few more cubes and another shot or two and it'll be even better.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

William Edward Norton Sailing Boats in the Mist

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Giuseppe Caselli Mareggiata

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Emilie Preyer Still Life with Peaches, Grapes, and Nuts on a Table

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Karl Friderich Schinkel View of the Flower of Greece - 1836

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Sandro Botticelli The Virgin and Child with Saint John and an Angel (1490, detail)

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Michele Federico The Capri Coast

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Pieter Gerardus van Os The Canal at ’s-Graveland

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
That's a fine looking drink, Scorp; but I can't figure out: is the glass half empty or is it half full.
Merlin, if you drink with the fellas I drink with, somehow, someway, your glass will ALWAYS be at that exact same level, all night long.

I swear, it's almost as if someone was pouring MORE liquor in my glass when I wasn't looking or something.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Hey Search, are you one of the fellas grabbing a boob in the pic? If so are you the one that's giving a mammogram or are you the fella that's really enjoying it?!