• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Random Pictures thread !

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I am a "hobby"cook. I agree with Usury that the oven is the place to cook bacon.
I use a roasting pan w/alum. foil on the bottom & slow cook the bacon at 275 degrees. Flip it when the top side starts to look cooked. Cook time is around 1/2 hour. Good thinks take time. Save the bacon grease !!! :green tea:
I used to bake bacon whenever I made it, then decided to re-visit properly frying it. To my surprise, I much prefer the flavor of fried bacon using my technique. It's plenty good in the oven though.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
All this talk of bacon makes me hungry. I just cut up a ham today, and have some pork ribs waiting in the freezer. I should get them out soon and smoke the ribs in the grill with some mesquite. I bet strips of bacon on top of the ribs would do nicely. Then I can serve the ribs with the bacon, a slab of fried ham, and a couple sausages on the side -- My pork "grand slam".

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I like bacon crispy... crispy crisp... kill it...!

I want to hear it 'snap'...!

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
eagle.JPG

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Homemade Crab Pizza last night, with my homemade "pizza spatula".
The crust is stuffed with cheese & crab.
We use ONLY fresh ingredients !

PHOTOS FROM IPHONE SEP 2017 053 - Copy.JPG

pizza1.jpg

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Line tray with foil, put bacon on cooling rack, put in oven, turn oven to 400 (no preheat), in about 10 minutes, perfect bacon. Save grease for green beans.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Save grease for green beans.
That works! I sometimes fry bacon and then add green beans to the pan. Nothing is discarded. When I was a kid, we had green beans with bacon, and I liked that.

I never throw away bacon grease. I use it for eggs, fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, or whatever.

I believe food should never be wasted. If something is not fit for my family, it goes to our dog, and if that is not good, it goes into the compost to eventually feed our garden.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That works! I sometimes fry bacon and then add green beans to the pan.

We add some Sweet Maui onions & stewed tomatoes too. Bodacious !!! :chef: :blond::blond::blond:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
If I live off of green beans and bacon and nothing else for the rest of my life I'll have you guys to thank. :chef:

As for random pics, here are some critters on the security cam. The skunk is welcome in the garden when it can find its way in and out.
Skunk-picture20190430_202236_000000SSS.jpg

Staring longingly through the deer fence.
Deer-picture20190430_202024_000000SSS.jpg

Deer-picture20190430_202446_000001SSS.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Eric, have you ever tried smoking/cooking a Thanksgiving turkey in your Weber? I have done it for 25 years & people go nuts over it.

THANKSGIVING 004 -.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Eric, have you ever tried smoking/cooking a Thanksgiving turkey in your Weber? I have done it for 25 years & people go nuts over it.
I have not but would like to try it someday. Thank you for getting it back on my mind. I've been thinking about other things to grill that I have not done. It's just me here, so I'll have to convince some friends for a planned meal.

I grill frequently when the weather and time permits. Today I'll be grilling up some top sirloin and probably some onion and peppers on a shish kabob and maybe some sweet potato wedges but since we had a fantastic pot luck at work today I might need to skip the sweet potatoes.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Dinner. This steak came out nice and juicy. Time to run back outside, falcons have been back around and got a few pics while warming up the grill. Hoping they come back around again.
Dinner-2019-05-02-Img_5695S.jpg

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Mmmmm, bacon! Bacon, beer, and boobs... The combination has to have a business opportunity somehow. Even if it does not appeal to Islam.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
026E3A0D86EB4C91BE478F4C85C3CB63.jpg

A juvenile harpy eagle, Harpia harpyja, the largest bird of prey of the Americas, holding what left from a small monkey in its claws, rain forest of the Amazon Basin of Rio Colorado, Madre de Dios, Peru, South America

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have not but would like to try it someday. Thank you for getting it back on my mind. I've been thinking about other things to grill that I have not done. It's just me here, so I'll have to convince some friends for a planned meal.

I grill frequently when the weather and time permits. Today I'll be grilling up some top sirloin and probably some onion and peppers on a shish kabob and maybe some sweet potato wedges but since we had a fantastic pot luck at work today I might need to skip the sweet potatoes.

The biggest trick is to turn it on it's breast for the last hour. Also baste it every 20ish minutes with butter & fresh minced garlic. It takes about 6 hours, depending on size. I would stay under 15 lbs.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Cranberry-Bog.jpg

Cranberry bog

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Bog Mummy

01mummytypes.ngsversion.1464148817638.adapt.1900.1.jpg

hardmoney

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Trying my hand at oil paints, quite different from watercolor, but enjoyable

The Colonel1.jpg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Trying my hand at oil paints, quite different from watercolor, but enjoyable

View attachment 130854

That’s pretty good.....is he anyone we know?....

Painting is something that I am looking forward to as I get older and my outdoor activities slowly fade.

Specifically water colors.

Could you recommend a basic starter kit and a good instructional book or two on water color painting for beginners?

Thanks.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Looks to me like Sean Connery in a 19th century Russian officer's jacket ready to go drinking.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Innsbruck Austria. I traveled there to play music with my HS band back in the early 90's. Was a trip of a lifetime. I'll try to dig out some of the actual photos I have in the near future.

innsbruck-ski-resort-austriapano.jpg

hardmoney

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Painting is something that I am looking forward to as I get older and my outdoor activities slowly fade.

Specifically water colors.

Could you recommend a basic starter kit and a good instructional book or two on water color painting for beginners?

Thanks.

Thanks, the painting is from a pic of a homeless guy in 19th century England.

As far as starter kits go, look for a set of student grade Windsor newton, Grumbacher or QOR at your local art store. The best (cheapest) place that I've found on line for that stuff is The Merriartist.com. There is a great online art community for beginners at Wetcanvas.com. I've had a couple of books that were helpful, one is from Charles Reid, but the most comprehensive resource I have ever seen is this - https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/
Feel free to pm me if you want to talk about watercolors...

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Thanks, the painting is from a pic of a homeless guy in 19th century England.
With the coat, medals and stogie, I was sure he was some kind of dignitary.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
While breaking from politics and the forum I did a little practice quickly sketching some faces and using different shading techniques using just a #2 pencil. It's something I've always wanted to become good at to where I can just whip out a proportional face just from my mind. Got a long way to go!

IMG_20190504_223704700.jpg

Last edited:

hardmoney

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those are pretty damn good! You really don't have that far to go, studying the classical methods of portrait drawing would probably get you there.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Those are pretty damn good! You really don't have that far to go, studying the classical methods of portrait drawing would probably get you there.
Thanks HM. You're probably right. I'll make time in the future to do so, but I tend to rush the learning process on most of my endeavors. Patience has been an ongoing struggle to harness for me. The real trouble is I have too many damned interests!

hardmoney

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
The real trouble is I have too many damned interests!

Too true! That's why I've pared my interests down to two- art and fly fishing- and it's still almost too many....