• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Random Pictures thread !

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Here is a chicken or turkey barn that we have watched deteriorate for 20 years. It is a couple hundred yards off the highway. I should have been taking pic's all along, but ........

I wonder if the old/weathered wood has any value.

These are cell phone shots, shuda had my Canon with telephoto lens.
View attachment 127286

View attachment 127288
I know a guy that would pay dearly for that wood. Stink or not, millionaires around here can't resist trying to make their interior walls look like barns.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I know a guy that would pay dearly for that wood. Stink or not, millionaires around here can't resist trying to make their interior walls look like barns.
I think it does have value & I have often thought to ask the owner if I could harvest it, for a fee.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
How can you over do birds ?
Genie enjoying a chicken drumstick bone at dinner tonight.
genie..jpg

genie.,.jpg

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
speaking for me, you are not over doing it at all,

especially with first hand and quality,

hats off to you,
Wow, thanks Scorpio! I will do my best to keep it up. :beer:

How can you over do birds ?
Genie enjoying a chicken drumstick bone at dinner tonight.
I couldn't tell you. Not even aware why I love birds so much, I don't recall a time when I didn't.

Genie is beautiful! Also looks very content with that chicken bone. :)

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
when I have eagles here, sitting in a tree, overlooking the water,

there is always something in the way where I cannot get a good pic without sending them on their way,

sometimes they will be there for 45 mins to an hour before they get bored and move on

otherwise, see them cruising by frequently

this year as the snows finally recede, there are 5 black bear dead on the side of the road, a winter collection I suppose of vehicle hits,

most I have seen at one time on the way to town and back

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice. Yeah in my experience Eagles tend to catch on pretty quickly if you are approaching them. You pretty much can't sneak up on them, though on the rare occasion they might not care. Actually being sneaky probably scares them more. I have had one fly right over me very close when my snow blower was running (but I stopped so I wasn't blowing snow, engine was running).

I have a very open sky here, one of the highest areas of the county. Much of what I can get is because I try to take a little time to stand outside with the camera ready just to see what happens.

Too bad about all the bear in your area. I hate how much wildlife loses their life to transportation. I avoid driving after sunset whenever feasible. Never hit anything bigger than a otter. I cried one day because I killed a goldfinch on my way back from an agate collecting trip. Poor thing lost its life because I wanted pretty rocks.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
If it's birds you like...

Not sure what this one is. Never seen it here before. I researched and it 'appears' to be an Eastern Phoebe Flycatcher, but it's difficult to tell. Any suggestions?
Eastern Phoebe Flycatcher.jpg

Eastern Phoebe Flycatcher 2.jpg

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
^ I thought the same thing, like the bacon was cooked on a pan that was too hot. Of course, tastes vary.
Here is my process:
I set the bacon out for a bit to warm up some, then I place it on a room temperature pan and set the heat between medium and low and make sure there is space between each strip. Flip frequently. I end up with flat strips of bacon perfectly crispy to my liking. Hint: When the bacon foams it is cooked, I usually cook a few minutes longer.
(Sorry, cooking is one of my obsessions) :)

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
(Sorry, cooking is one of my obsessions) :)
To get it cooked perfectly, bake it in the oven.
I am a "hobby"cook. I agree with Usury that the oven is the place to cook bacon.
I use a roasting pan w/alum. foil on the bottom & slow cook the bacon at 275 degrees. Flip it when the top side starts to look cooked. Cook time is around 1/2 hour. Good things take time. Save the bacon grease !!! :green tea:

Last edited:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I am a "hobby"cook. I agree with Usury that the oven is the place to cook bacon.
I use a roasting pan w/alum. foil on the bottom & slow cook the bacon at 275 degrees. Flip it when the top side starts to look cooked. Cook time is around 1/2 hour. Good thinks take time. Save the bacon grease !!! :green tea:
I used to bake bacon whenever I made it, then decided to re-visit properly frying it. To my surprise, I much prefer the flavor of fried bacon using my technique. It's plenty good in the oven though.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
All this talk of bacon makes me hungry. I just cut up a ham today, and have some pork ribs waiting in the freezer. I should get them out soon and smoke the ribs in the grill with some mesquite. I bet strips of bacon on top of the ribs would do nicely. Then I can serve the ribs with the bacon, a slab of fried ham, and a couple sausages on the side -- My pork "grand slam".

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I like bacon crispy... crispy crisp... kill it...!

I want to hear it 'snap'...!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
eagle.JPG

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Homemade Crab Pizza last night, with my homemade "pizza spatula".
The crust is stuffed with cheese & crab.
We use ONLY fresh ingredients !

PHOTOS FROM IPHONE SEP 2017 053 - Copy.JPG

pizza1.jpg

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Line tray with foil, put bacon on cooling rack, put in oven, turn oven to 400 (no preheat), in about 10 minutes, perfect bacon. Save grease for green beans.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Save grease for green beans.
That works! I sometimes fry bacon and then add green beans to the pan. Nothing is discarded. When I was a kid, we had green beans with bacon, and I liked that.

I never throw away bacon grease. I use it for eggs, fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, or whatever.

I believe food should never be wasted. If something is not fit for my family, it goes to our dog, and if that is not good, it goes into the compost to eventually feed our garden.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
That works! I sometimes fry bacon and then add green beans to the pan.
We add some Sweet Maui onions & stewed tomatoes too. Bodacious !!! :chef: :blond::blond::blond:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If I live off of green beans and bacon and nothing else for the rest of my life I'll have you guys to thank. :chef:

As for random pics, here are some critters on the security cam. The skunk is welcome in the garden when it can find its way in and out.
Skunk-picture20190430_202236_000000SSS.jpg

Staring longingly through the deer fence.
Deer-picture20190430_202024_000000SSS.jpg

Deer-picture20190430_202446_000001SSS.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Eric, have you ever tried smoking/cooking a Thanksgiving turkey in your Weber? I have done it for 25 years & people go nuts over it.

THANKSGIVING 004 -.jpg

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Eric, have you ever tried smoking/cooking a Thanksgiving turkey in your Weber? I have done it for 25 years & people go nuts over it.
I have not but would like to try it someday. Thank you for getting it back on my mind. I've been thinking about other things to grill that I have not done. It's just me here, so I'll have to convince some friends for a planned meal.

I grill frequently when the weather and time permits. Today I'll be grilling up some top sirloin and probably some onion and peppers on a shish kabob and maybe some sweet potato wedges but since we had a fantastic pot luck at work today I might need to skip the sweet potatoes.