• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Random Pictures thread !

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

A juvenile harpy eagle, Harpia harpyja, the largest bird of prey of the Americas, holding what left from a small monkey in its claws, rain forest of the Amazon Basin of Rio Colorado, Madre de Dios, Peru, South America

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have not but would like to try it someday. Thank you for getting it back on my mind. I've been thinking about other things to grill that I have not done. It's just me here, so I'll have to convince some friends for a planned meal.

I grill frequently when the weather and time permits. Today I'll be grilling up some top sirloin and probably some onion and peppers on a shish kabob and maybe some sweet potato wedges but since we had a fantastic pot luck at work today I might need to skip the sweet potatoes.
The biggest trick is to turn it on it's breast for the last hour. Also baste it every 20ish minutes with butter & fresh minced garlic. It takes about 6 hours, depending on size. I would stay under 15 lbs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Cranberry bog

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Bog Mummy

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Trying my hand at oil paints, quite different from watercolor, but enjoyable

View attachment 130854
That’s pretty good.....is he anyone we know?....

Painting is something that I am looking forward to as I get older and my outdoor activities slowly fade.

Specifically water colors.

Could you recommend a basic starter kit and a good instructional book or two on water color painting for beginners?

Thanks.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Innsbruck Austria. I traveled there to play music with my HS band back in the early 90's. Was a trip of a lifetime. I'll try to dig out some of the actual photos I have in the near future.

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
That’s pretty good.....is he anyone we know?....

Painting is something that I am looking forward to as I get older and my outdoor activities slowly fade.

Specifically water colors.

Could you recommend a basic starter kit and a good instructional book or two on water color painting for beginners?

Thanks.

Thanks, the painting is from a pic of a homeless guy in 19th century England.

As far as starter kits go, look for a set of student grade Windsor newton, Grumbacher or QOR at your local art store. The best (cheapest) place that I've found on line for that stuff is The Merriartist.com. There is a great online art community for beginners at Wetcanvas.com. I've had a couple of books that were helpful, one is from Charles Reid, but the most comprehensive resource I have ever seen is this - https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/
Feel free to pm me if you want to talk about watercolors...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks, the painting is from a pic of a homeless guy in 19th century England.
With the coat, medals and stogie, I was sure he was some kind of dignitary.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
While breaking from politics and the forum I did a little practice quickly sketching some faces and using different shading techniques using just a #2 pencil. It's something I've always wanted to become good at to where I can just whip out a proportional face just from my mind. Got a long way to go!

IMG_20190504_223704700.jpg

Last edited:

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Those are pretty damn good! You really don't have that far to go, studying the classical methods of portrait drawing would probably get you there.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Those are pretty damn good! You really don't have that far to go, studying the classical methods of portrait drawing would probably get you there.
Thanks HM. You're probably right. I'll make time in the future to do so, but I tend to rush the learning process on most of my endeavors. Patience has been an ongoing struggle to harness for me. The real trouble is I have too many damned interests!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

hardmoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Around the time I was born, my Grandpa and his buddy started building this boat out of cement in his back yard. It was 43' long and eneded up being a fishing boat and still is fishing up in Alaska. When it was launched , my Grandpa sold out to his partner and he finished it while it was in the harbor and then lived on it for a while. I remember hearing that there were about 8,000 welds in the re-bar structure. They had a crew of guys come out when it was time to pour and when it was cured, it would ring like a bell when you tapped it with sledge hammer.

IMG_20190323_0001-1.jpg
IMG_20190323_0002.jpg
IMG_20190323_0003.jpg
IMG_20190323_0005.jpg
IMG_20190323_0001.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
The nearly similar Spotted Towhee
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.49.14 AM.png

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
all at my feeder today

Crowned Sparrow

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.51.27 PM.png

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Mourning Doves - hanging out under a pine bough. Note the peanut shells - remnants of squirrels....

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.10.28 PM.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice pics you two. GH seems to be getting his settings dialed in nicely and ETC is pulling in some terrific long distance action shots.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just curious if anyone uses Adobe Elements?
I don't use Adobe Elements. You're getting some great results though. Really like your shots and as you all know I kind of like birds. :)

For nature stuff I mostly use Gimp. I might crop and usually I do some minor curves adjustments and unsharp masking.
Then I do something unusual to get the size of image I normally share. I wrote a script that presents a window with labels of various picture subjects. I drag the full res of what image it is to the subject matter, such as "Nature", then it will generate a sequence of images of various scales and thumbnails and also generate HTML in case I want to add the images to my web page.

Nice pics you two. GH seems to be getting his settings dialed in nicely and ETC is pulling in some terrific long distance action shots.
Thanks!

Funny bird story, yesterday when I was buying plants at the local farm store a chipping sparrow flew in to the building and hit a window. It was in shock but looked okay but tried again to get through the window. The guy working there put his hand out to the bird and it jumped on to his finger. So he walked outside and it flew on its way.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dug around for my Europe pics with no luck but found some 35mm shots I took of wild horses in Arizona in the early 2000's near the Superstition mountains. Followed by a self portrait while on a whale watching trip off the coast of Bar Harbor, Maine. Can't find my whale tail pic either ATM!
Camera used- Pentax k1000 35mm. I just now snapped pics of the old developed photos using my phone So sorry about the poor quality.

IMG_20190508_195848666.jpg

IMG_20190508_195748358.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I don't use Adobe Elements. You're getting some great results though. Really like your shots and as you all know I kind of like birds. :)

For nature stuff I mostly use Gimp. I might crop and usually I do some minor curves adjustments and unsharp masking.
Then I do something unusual to get the size of image I normally share. I wrote a script that presents a window with labels of various picture subjects. I drag the full res of what image it is to the subject matter, such as "Nature", then it will generate a sequence of images of various scales and thumbnails and also generate HTML in case I want to add the images to my web page.

Thanks!

Funny bird story, yesterday when I was buying plants at the local farm store a chipping sparrow flew in to the building and hit a window. It was in shock but looked okay but tried again to get through the window. The guy working there put his hand out to the bird and it jumped on to his finger. So he walked outside and it flew on its way.
Another sparrow story.
30 years ago I was out tuna fishing, it was mid day when a sparrow kept circling my boat & finally landed inside the boat. He was totally exhausted, puffing & panting. He truly had a look of desperation in his face. We gave him a wide berth & he stayed with us all day, about 7 hours.
It was foggy that morning when we set out & we figured he was on a charter boat eating crumbs. The charter boat headed out & by the time the fog cleared, land was out of sight & the sparrow was "lost". He must have gotten frighten with all the people & took to flight.
As we entered San Diego Harbor, the sparrow flew inside the boat, came out, flew around the boat & went "home". We think he was actually thanking us for the trip home.

sparrow.jpg