• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Random Pictures thread !

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Blue Magpies Taiwan

Some kind of duck?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Looks like food & birds are the subject recently, so I will comply.

This is my method for the perfect rare/med rare ribeye steak.
Put a cast iron pan in the oven & let the pan & oven come up to 500 degrees.
1.jpg

Salt & pepper the steak.
2.jpg

When the oven has reached 500 degrees, turn the stove top on full heat.
3.jpg

Use a timer & sear the steak on each side for 1 minute.

5.jpg

Then back into the 500 degree oven for 2 minute on each side (if you steak is less than 1 1/2 inches thick, cut the time to 90 seconds per side.
Put it on a plate & cover with alum. foil for 2 minutes to allow it to "rest", this is important for the juices to settle.

8.jpg

Plate & serve with a nice fresh salad & oil & vinegar dressing. We ran out of avocados or you would see them on the salad.

14.jpg

I have to share with Genie

10.jpg

11.jpg

Everyone needs salad with their steak & Genie is no exception

13.jpg

A great dinner was had by all.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I can't argue with you. :rotf:
-top offender

:picture perfect:
It's okay, birds are pretty cool and most are also kinda pretty. I would not like to live in a world that didn't include birds.

A crow landed in a tree outside of my window today. I like crows, maybe it's the Native American in me, but I sometimes call them brother crow.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not suggesting any thing here but this thread seems to have gotten a little bit bird brained. :monster 4:
I tried breaking it up with my wild horses, but they weren't very popular.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It's okay, birds are pretty cool and most are also kinda pretty. I would not like to live in a world that didn't include birds.

A crow landed in a tree outside of my window today. I like crows, maybe it's the Native American in me, but I sometimes call them brother crow.
I too like crows. Some nest in some of my pine trees and are frequent visitors. Today I called the cat (she's trained) to look out the window at a pair of crows that were eating worms that came up after the rain.

They were great. I have never even seen a wild horse. :beer:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Crows are one of the smartest birds , as are macaws.
Here is my blue & gold "crow" munching on a chicken thigh bone. He eats the meat, then cracks open the bone & eats the marrow.
The photos have an amber tone due to the light coming in from the reloading room windows, sorry.
This will be his limit of meat for the week. We usually give him papaya, mango, grapes, nuts & assorted fresh veggies. He eats as well or better than we do.
23.jpg

24.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
How old is he again Taez?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I like these kind of horses.
Lets see how popular this horse is !

HORSE RIDER.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A screenshot I pulled from an "Eagle cam"

Screenshot_20190310-124145.png

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
How old is he again Taez?
We rescued him at age 27, we were told. We were also told he was a she. I have had & been around these marvelous birds for most of my life & I thought it was a male. We took him to a vet for a full physical, to make sure he/she was OK. The vet drew blood for another reason, but I asked that she also check DNA for sex, it came back as male. So I wonder about his age. You can tell their age, roughly, by their feet & beak, 27 seemed about right. We have had him for 15 years, so he is around 42 years old. They live to be 50/80 in the wild & up to 100 in captivity. You better really want one, because they are the child that never leaves home !! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

BTW, he is a TV junky & sits with us at night & watches TV with us. He also cuddles, now that he has accepted us into his life.
He is also NOT clipped & can fly. We let him outside when the weather is nice. He has his own tree to enjoy & when he is ready to come in, he ether squawks or comes down & comes to the door & knocks to be let in.
When we first got him, he was very nervous when we traveled, now he loves it ! We think he was afraid that we were taking him to give him away, as he has been in many homes prior to ours. He is here to stay & he knows it !!!

DSC_0202 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Untitled.jpg

GENIE PLAYING IN TREE.jpg

2010 JUL 14 CASTO'S PHOTO'S 112 - Copy.jpg

GENIE WITH ELK BULLS.jpg

This is his environment, he has the full run of the property, why would he want to leave ?.

rockcreek-2 - Copy.jpg

Excuse the long winded answer, but I thought you would enjoy the full story. :oriental::gracious:

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
How come yer horses all have horns?
:Happy:
You have a paradise there Taezz, I'm jealous.
It looks like Genie is happy with life, a truly beautiful bird.

BF

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Awesome, Taezzar. It sounds like he has been living a wonderful and fulfilling life since you rescued him.
He came to us as quite a mess, in fact, we were about his last chance, as he was deemed incorrigible. People are struck by the beauty of these birds & don't realize the work involved in taming/training them. They are more like a cat than a dog, as they are very independent & aggressive. They take no crap from anybody. He makes a sound that sounds like "no" & is "no" and he means it !!!
We have him potty trained. He will poop on command, to "Pay your taxes".
He calls Mrs. T. & only Mrs. T., "mother"
My thinking is, he has been denied his natural life, with other macaws, so it is our responsibility to make him as happy & comfortable as possible, as in spoil him. He is very spoiled & he knows it.

GENIE & MOTHER - Copy.jpg

GENIE & BLACKIE15 (Medium).JPG

31.png

Last edited:

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
About the horse pic I dont know which one I would ride first...

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
He came to us as quite a mess, in fact, we were about his last chance, as he was deemed incorrigible. People are struck by the beauty of these birds & don't realize the work involved in taming/training them. They are more like a cat than a dog, as they are very independent & aggressive. They take no crap from anybody. He makes a sound that sounds like "no" & is "no" and he means it !!!
My thinking is, he has been denied his natural life, with other macaws, so it is our responsibility to make him as happy & comfortable as possible, as in spoil him. He is very spoiled & he knows it.

View attachment 131417

View attachment 131418

View attachment 131419
You live in the most epic spots in the world! What a dream property! :banana::beer:
1557575264498.png

Regarding feathers there, truly a wonder of nature. Thank you very much for sharing.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
1557595813676.png

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

View attachment 131417

View attachment 131418

View attachment 131419
Echoing everyone else's thoughts, thanks for sharing the wonderful pics and stories.

"Pay your taxes" lol.

Your place looks ideal. I am pretty happy with the place I bought almost 10 years ago but it certainly pales in comparison. I have a small rambler on a 1.7 acre long triangle shape lot land with an apple orchard on one side and a farm field across the street. It isn't perfect but it's usually quiet and isn't bad for enjoying nature and Astronomy. Technically I am in city limits (not a very big city), right on the border.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
"I couldn't decide if I wanted a van or a pickup..." Well, I guess I can check that off my bingo card.

What's next, a limo with a trencher on the back? That would discourage tailgaters...

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A miracle just happened

1557599802726.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
"I couldn't decide if I wanted a van or a pickup..." Well, I guess I can check that off my bingo card.

What's next, a limo with a trencher on the back? That would discourage tailgaters...
Great Idea I'll get to working on that now that my "plus" is done.

1557601341472.png

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yes, I retired recently and built an observatory. Becoming somewhat proficient with PixInsight too. If only the rain would stop ;-)
Congrats on retirement! Looks like you're getting some great use out of the observatory.

I started using PixInsight a while back. Extremely powerful once you get the hang of it. I still have a lot of learning to do with it.

Were you using filters on the nebula pic? The color reminds me of a false color by using different gas filters so I was curious.

Your galaxy pics are great. Your M51 pic has some really good detail being such a relatively compact object.

What kind of scopes have you been using? I can tell it's not a refractor (diffraction spikes).

As someone who knows how much work it is to get images like this; Well done, sir. Hats off to you. :2 thumbs up: