• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Rate your Chainsaws

D

• Stihl

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Homelite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Poulan

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I would think one of the most important parts of the chain saw is the chain itself, seems most you buy today dont hold an edge.
I usually try to buy pro chain, still needs sharpening often, but cuts faster and works better, howsoever, use caution, does not have those anti-kickback links.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Second run as a Timber falling module on the Lolo Peak Fire
Tarzan Thomas

Published on Oct 3, 2017

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Stihl ms460 Vs. ms461 - BenchTalk
hotsaws101

Published on Oct 2, 2017
Here we are looking at some the differences but for the most part the similarities of the iconic Stihl ms460 and it's successor, the ms461.
I perused through the IPLs for the 046, 460, and 461 and noticed that a lot of same numbers for the respective parts and one or just a few digits being different for a lot of the other parts.
We did touch on a few of both types in this video.
I did not really notice any "glitches" in my thoughts this time.
if you are interested in port work of some custom saw modifications, please shoot me an email.
danger_cat@rocketmail.com
Thanks for watching.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Time in the shop....with the video camera & me
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 7, 2017

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
FJ660 "Tweak Tune" ( For an Arboristsite posting...)
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 7, 2017

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Chain Saw HACK 1 - Chop Saw
Made in Poland

Published on Oct 9, 2017
Hi. My name is Darek and in this video I'll show you Chain Saw HACK 1 - Chop Saw
Some stuff I used:
Chain saw STIGA 405 2HP
Belt 10 mm
Ball bearings UCPA 201 x2
Metal cutting blade 300 x 32 x 3,2 mm
Set of home made pulley 1:1,75
Aluminium sheet (guard)

What do I think about this modification?
My saw was unregulated and didn't have full power.
Pulley in the saw should be made from hard material (hard wood, aluminium or steel)
Spring washers must be used in all screw.
For certainty you must use a counter nut to fix the blade.

If you have any question write them bellow and if you like this video pleas share this on your social media :)

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I am loving my 16" 60V Dewalt chainsaw that I got a month or so ago. It seems to me to cut as fast as any other gas fed saw, I don't have to run and get mixed fresh fuel and it starts and stops with the pull or release of the trigger. It works very silently and is always ready. I used it to cut an approx 20 inch tree so I got assorted cuts along with 24 cuts through the trunk on one battery.
As a downside on the kit Dewalt includes its very cheapest 20V charger meaning recharges take up a lot of time necessitating downtime without extra batteries. Luckily I have the 60V fast charger that came with the circular saw along with extra batteries.
For someone like me that needs a saw for off and on needs as a landlord that actively takes care of their properties its perfect so far. I gave my gas poulan away to a landscaper because I wont need it anymore.
Incidentally I bought it on Ebay when there was a 10% bucks deal ...and got enough bucks to buy a nice silver dollar

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
In The Shop Chattering About CAD/CAE/CAM again AND the Training Course..:)
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 8, 2017
Just rambling brain static...another attempt to lay out the concept of product designs being influenced by the design tools. A derivative being its not unusual to see design folks mole into a cyber bubble when doing complex designs.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Squirrel! Wanted to Build "Ultimate Old Man Saw", Got Pushed Aside...Case Assembly MS660..Again!
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 13, 2017

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Chainsaw Husqvarna 236 - New Replica cylinder from Aliexpress
Garden and Forest

Published on Oct 14, 2017
Chainsaw Husqvarna 236 - New Replica cylinder from Aliexpress
Chain saw spare parts , cylinder for $ 35 !!!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V Compact 12" Chainsaw Review
WorkshopAddict

Published on Oct 15, 2017
Price the DEWALT 20V Compact Chainsaw on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2i2dwFW
DEWALT has been trickling outdoor power tools into their 20-volt line over the last year or so. They currently have a 20-volt string trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer and have now added the new DCCS620 12" Compact Brushless Chainsaw. The new 12" Chainsaw has many of the other features you find on the larger 40-volt or FlexVolt chainsaws, such as tool-free chain tensioning, brushless motors, fixed-rate automatic chain oilers and an Oregon bar and chain. One item that it is missing is a variable speed trigger. The 20-volt model has a single speed trigger that allows the chain to run at 25.2 feet per second when the trigger is pulled.

So let's get right to the question that is on everyone's mind. Can DEWALT's 20-volt max battery properly power a chainsaw? The answer is a surprising YES, it can power it and the battery and brushless motor combination do quite well at it. This top handle compact chainsaw is not going to be a go-to saw for felling trees, but it will do well at limbing, trimming and also cutting dry lumber on the jobsite. The saw was surprisingly resilient through our test cutting up a pine tree we dropped a few days before and we did not have any thermal timeouts or overloads. For a saw of this size and voltage, it really did well.

DCCS620 Features

Low Kick Back 12" Oregon Bar and Chain
Compact, lightweight design (8.8 lbs)
High-efficiency brushless motor
Tool-Free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob
Build Quality

When you look at all the battery operated chainsaws from DEWALT, you will see some items that look the same. The chain tensioner is most likely a shared item between all three of their battery saws on the market. One would also think that the chain oil fill cap would be also, but that item on this saw feels a bit weak. We will say that the cap flexes less once there is oil lubricating its movement, but either way, the cap gives the saw a feeling that one should take care in adjusting it.

Other than the cap, the feeling of the saw is pretty good. One would wish they would have carried over the variable speed trigger, but the motor used might not have the torque to run at lower RPMs.

Any way that you look at this saw, it is a perfect match for a homeowner who wants to be able to trim trees and possibly clean up a mess after a storm. Hunters would love the saw for cleaning out areas in the woods! Contractors who deal with pole structures might enjoy it for trimming 4x4's or other rough cut items. This saw does have a large group that will enjoy using the saw!

Specifications

CHAIN GUAGE 0.043
CHAIN PITCH 3/8
CHAIN SPEED 25.2 FT/S
COMPATIBLE WITH DEWALT 20V MAX* BATTERIES
OREGON BAR AND CHAIN 12" BAR AND CHAIN
WEIGHT 8.8 LBS

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Farmer Jones Ms660 Project Update & Thread Repair on a Stripped Bar Stud Hole
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 20, 2017
Basically discuss plans for the 660 project, talk about things that have failed and need better parts. Just an update

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Efco MT 5200 Evaluation. Now For Something Different! Part 1
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 22, 2017
Got a saw on loan to evaluate. Not certain they will be happy when it returns! BUT it was a change of pace and a pleasant surprise actually. Priced right with upper end Home Owner saws, Lower end of "Land Owner" saws; its in a tough crowd. Is it out of its league? Maybe , Maybe not. One thing I can say is there is a lot of potential in that saw. What do I mean?? Have to watch to see...:)

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Efco MT5200 Part 2 Lets RUN That Saw! ( vs. Husqvarna 242 & Modded Husqvarna 350 )
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 22, 2017

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Spur Climbing
Reg Coates

Published on Oct 28, 2017
Some spurring and chunking from a recent job

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Day with Human #1
Human

Published on Oct 23, 2017
Vlog type video, just to do something as I've not done any videos in awhile.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Silky saw injury while tree pruning
Climbing Arborist

Published on Oct 19, 2017
Dan shares his recent story of an injury caused by a Silky saw and how he will approach things in the future.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
World's Most Powerful Chainsaws Compilation
TRAMBOLINO

Published on Oct 28, 2017
Incredibly powerful and huge saws

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
"Mini GTG" October -2017 "Oregon" New Product Information & 50cc "Grudge Racing" :)
afleetcommand

Published on Oct 29, 2017
Couple of friends hanging out at the farm. Spike60, Motomedic, Ron A, J. Walker, And myself.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Human Vlog #2: First Full day out of the Chair
Human

Published on Nov 1, 2017
Just trailing along throughout my day. Felt amazing to be able to walk again. A bit tender, and muscles aren't even close to where they need to be, but it'll come.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Very Dangerous tree felling Chainsaw Husqvarna 560 XP - Storm Herwart Europe
Garden and Forest

Published on Nov 2, 2017
Very Dangerous tree felling Chainsaw Husqvarna 560 XP - Storm Herwart Europe
Garden and Forest Original YouTube Video

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Husqvarna 346xp vs. Stihl ms291
hotsaws101

Published on Oct 29, 2017
First test drive(s) on a new Stihl ms291 (clamshell design cylinder, coming out of Northern Cali)) with the insane-o zipkit and some combustion chamber work versus a gently used Husqvarna 346xp (hails from Tennessee) also with the insane-o zipkit and some combustion work as well.
Both were test run using a Tsumara 24" bar and .325 chain.
I thought it was a good comparison since the Stihl has quite a bit more displacement but is more of a smog design engine. Turns out the timed runs were pretty much the exact same.
I am currently available for port work. If you are interested shoot me an email and we can start the process.
Thanks for watching.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I got a contact from a Craiglist customer, guy wanted his 24 inch split firewood cut in half. So I picked up a couple saws at my brothers a Johnsered 670 and Stihl 24; I ended up using the Johnsered, the power made the difference. $50 to cut a bunch of logs in half, the time driving up twice and back made it kind of a service exercise. I told the guy to paypal me which he did not want to do. In this day and age that should be super easy.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Spike60's Jonsered "Top Five" Picks....A Bit Of Jonsered History
afleetcommand

Published on Nov 4, 2017
Need to be an enthusiast to appreciate this video. Bob is an oracle of Jonsered/Husqvarna History. These video's are as much about capturing that history as anything. The new dealers with first the Husqvarna derived Jonsereds and now with Red/max really don't have a reason to support these older saws at all. So trying to capture as much history as possible and getting it online for those who are interested.....The genisis of the "Spike60 Saw Colleges" is that concept. Hope you enjoy....:)

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Husqvarna 560 XP Chainsaw
Garden and Forest

Published on Nov 4, 2017
Husqvarna 560 XP Chainsaw

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Anyone know where to get one of these?

USA Today says it's an option

image.png

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Husqvarna 562 Blowing Chips with a 32" Bar
hotsaws101

Published on Nov 10, 2017
Shot in the spring as the bark is beginning to swell so we are having to clean out the cut continually. This is the first test drive on an insane-o-ized Husqvarna 562 fresh out of the shop sporting a 32" Oregon liteweight bar and hogging the wood. Doesn't seem to have any problems pulling this length of chain on a fatty red.
I'm currently available for port work. If you are interested please shoot me an email.
Thanks for watching.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Crankcase splitter mod / fix. Huztl splitter broke, sorta.
Matthew Olson

Published on Nov 6, 2017
If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from:
http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

Ok, got this splitter from Huztl back when there was a sale at around $35. I've split a dozen or so chassis with it. Recently the handle got very very difficult to turn, even with a pipe extension. I think the threaded part is bent. UGH. I backed off the threaded part and BROKE the tip in the process. Don't do that! need a 1.5mm allen for the set screw. TINY screw. then you can pull the tip out. . ... THEN pull the threaded rod out. So, long story short the rod was unlikely to thread back in. Get out the tap and tie set. Nogo.

if I had to guess now, maybe m14x2.0? I don't have a tap for that... so ...since the rod part was likely the weak link, why not increase its size? 1/2" threaded rod wouldn't work. 5/8" ...now...that'd be stiff enough :)

I used a 1/2" drillbit to ream out the splitter. (drillbit is too small) ...tap to 5/8" UNC. Then I couldn't get the threaded rod in there. Needed my reamer set to .525" to then get the 5/8" rod in.

So, pays to have the right size drill bit for the tap in the first place. But I digress. This is easily done at home with a vice, 5/8" tap and proper drillbit. Then you need a short piece of 5/8" threaded rod. I have a nut welded to the rod, but you could just as easily use two nuts on the end, and then you can hit it with the impact! yey! now it'll be stronger and easier to split crankcases!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Crankcase splitter mod / fix. Huztl splitter broke, sorta PART 2 ..it works!
Matthew Olson

Published on Nov 8, 2017
If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from:
http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

Ok, got this splitter from Huztl back when there was a sale at around $35. I've split a dozen or so chassis with it. Recently the handle got very very difficult to turn, even with a pipe extension. I think the threaded part is bent. UGH. I backed off the threaded part and BROKE the tip in the process. Don't do that! need a 1.5mm allen for the set screw. TINY screw. then you can pull the tip out. . ... THEN pull the threaded rod out. So, long story short the rod was unlikely to thread back in. Get out the tap and tie set. Nogo.

if I had to guess now, maybe m14x2.0? I don't have a tap for that... so ...since the rod part was likely the weak link, why not increase its size? 1/2" threaded rod wouldn't work. 5/8" ...now...that'd be stiff enough :)

I used a 1/2" drillbit to ream out the splitter. (drillbit is too small) ...tap to 5/8" UNC. Then I couldn't get the threaded rod in there. Needed my reamer set to .525" to then get the 5/8" rod in.

So, pays to have the right size drill bit for the tap in the first place. But I digress. This is easily done at home with a vice, 5/8" tap and proper drillbit. Then you need a short piece of 5/8" threaded rod. I have a nut welded to the rod, but you could just as easily use two nuts on the end, and then you can hit it with the impact! yey! now it'll be stronger and easier to split crankcases!

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have written that I have a Stihl MS361 and it has usually served me well. Usually. But there were times when I wanted to cut and it would not start. Recently I ran out of time and ideas and took it to the chainsaw place for repair. I had already replaced the magneto and carb. If I remember right, they found a broken ring, a stuck ring, and a problem with the unloading button. They cleaned the piston with ultrasonic and I told them I did not care about the unloading button and they could replace it with a plug. It ran great! A good running saw with a sharp chain is "almost" fun to use, when the chips hit my pants so hard and fast I can feel them.

Today, my saw ran out of power just as I expected it to run out of gas. So I turned it off before it ran completely dry. Later, I filled it up and tried to start it. No dice. I cleaned the spark plug with carb cleaner and scraped the contacts with a knife. Still no joy. Put in a new plug, no joy. Let it sit for a couple h ours, and it started up. Must have been flooded in the cylinder, I guess. But in just a couple minutes of cutting, it lost power and popped like a backfire three times. Huh?! I have never had it backfire before.

So I am thinking I should think about a second chainsaw as a backup for times when I need... no make that NEED! to cut and my MS361 is balking.

I am asking for recommendations from our esteemed members. I am looking for reliability and value. My 24 inch bar and 84 link chain handle everything, and I would like to stay with that. Please do NOT point to videos. I value your opinions and experiences. A high-bandwidth video is a waste of time and bandwidth. Thanks.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Farmertec / Huztl MS660 Assembly Notes & Product Updates. Part 1 of 2
afleetcommand

Published on Nov 12, 2017
Cover quickly bottom end, Handle, and Top end. Muffler too.
Run through really fast...didn't dwell on things. Matt's "Bolt by Bolt" is more complete in the details. But I cover some points that increase the chance of success...and a few notable changes to the part quality in these Farmertec AM parts that comprise this saw. Worth a listen if you plan to build one, or update and existing AM MS660.

Last edited:

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Huztl / Farmertec MS660 Assembly Notes & Update PT2. Finish & First Start
afleetcommand

Published on Nov 12, 2017
Sorry yet again for a lousy camera angle....also had a brain freeze on part names for chain brake detent and linkage...it was in the sub 20 degree range in the garage! Winter has arrived!. Just no way to re do that amount of video time..so I had to go with it. Sorry .. I probably won't build another for a while. Plan to test and tune. WIll discuss part improvements in that video more when I'm not in a rush. Also will discuss the Cross Performance issue. I think I understand why two saws builds with that top end failed....I had blamed it on cranks. Don't think it was. Not a happy camper here as this has cost me a lot of time.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Very dangerous shredding of the log Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw
Garden and Forest

Published on Nov 10, 2017
Very dangerous shredding of the log Husqvarna 560 XP chain saw
Garden and Forest Originál YouTube Video

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I am asking for recommendations from our esteemed members. I am looking for reliability and value. My 24 inch bar and 84 link chain handle everything, and I would like to stay with that. Please do NOT point to videos. I value your opinions and experiences. A high-bandwidth video is a waste of time and bandwidth. Thanks.
If you need something to saw 24", stay with the same size or switch to the MS290 Farm Boss. I usually run a 20" bar 81 link bar on mine and am able to cut whatever I need, but I also have a 28" 91 link bar for it for when the need demands. I've two smaller saws, both MS180s, one is quite old has been repaired a couple times, still my main saw for up a certain size log. I use it and the newer one mostly for cutting brush and firewood. Like I said, up to a certain size log, then I'll haul out the MS290. I have three other saws, but only two are working and neither one of those are all that great.

Sorry I missed your post here - I do not watch many youtube videos on forums. I want to watch those, I go on the youtube and do a search for what I'm looking up. On my slower connection, those really slow up load time on a forum page.