• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Ready for robocalls to end? The Spam Calls Task Force is on it

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Robocalls, those dreaded telemarketing messages that automatically play when you answer your phone, are the bane of just about every phone user. Now, the government is going to take a good look at robocalls.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers seeking to create the Spam Calls Task Force, which would direct the Attorney General to work with the Federal Communications Commission to come up with a way to stop robocalls.

Ready for robocalls to end? The Spam Calls Task Force is on it
The proposed group is led by U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist (D-Florida) along with Matt Cartwright (D-Pennsylvania), Garret Graves (D-Louisiana) and Rep. Walter Jones (R-North Carolina).

“Night and day, Americans are being inundated by spam calls. It’s more than an annoyance – it’s an invasion of privacy being used to deceive and take advantage of unsuspecting victims,” Crist said in a written statement on the issue. “Working together across the aisle and across agencies, we can better protect the people from this predatory practice.”

The Spam Calls Task Force would have the next nine months to recommend some action to stop robocalls.

The Spam Calls Task Force has a number of directives, including:

• Determine if any existing laws would inhibit enforcement of the Telephone Consumer Protections Act, which already covers spam calls.
  • Identify existing policies and programs that improve coordination among relevant agencies, departments and states.
  • Consider if increasing the penalties and fines would deter robocall violators
  • Consider if additional resources would be beneficial, including formal agreements between states, the U.S. government and foreign governments.
Money expert Clark Howard says he follows a simple rule when it comes to robocalls, one that has saved him countless amounts of time and maybe even money.

“Consider following my rule,” the consumer champ says. “It’s a simple rule: If I don’t recognize the number as being from someone I know, I do not answer the call.”

https://clark.com/technology/spam-c...G-Am91aWig27bODeonj2bXUgvDL-HKWkjRW4yGe4uIFcs

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
There must be money in it. I can't understand how they talk people out of their money. They must be preying upon the mentally unstable.

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
i have magic jack for my home number. they have a feature that lets you set up your number so when someone calls it they must enter an arbitrary number before their call can be delivered. this has eliminated ALL of the spam calls to my home number. now on the other hand i have att on my cell and EVERYDAY i get at least one spam call. its from a robo dialer that has a spoof number.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
If I don't recognize the number I do NOT answer the call. If they really want to talk to me they MUST leave a voicemail. Spoofers like using my area code. This "self screening" seems to work fairly well since the number of unknown callers has dropped significantly but someone always seems to try.

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
You can answer it, but don't say anything. Those tapes/recordings are programmed to start as soon as you say something, anything. They will hang up after about 5 seconds without being prompted by your voice, and that way you'll know its a spam call.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I troll my way as long as I can with them, got nothing but free time now.

I usually get 2 calls a day except on the weekend, I get none.