• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Real or Fake 4K?

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Found this site that will tell you if a 4k bluray version of a movie is really 4k or just an upscaled version of the 2k master.
Some surprises - example, The Accountant, 2016 - FAKE 4K.
HEAT, REAL 4K.
OFFICE SPACE, REAL 4K.

What this means is that the two real 4K examples were taken from the original print and mastered in 4K during the entire process.
The fake example was taken from the original print at 2K and later upscaled to 4k from that 2K digital.
It may look better than the 1080p version but that is due to post processing.

Anyway, here is the site.

http://realorfake4k.com/

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
That's pretty sweet, thanks for sharing it. Even says Butch and Sundance is a legit 4k masterpiece. That's a solid film.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I was surprised to find many recent movies are fake 4k.

As for visual effects as seen in so many movies today, it seems the VFX studios do all their work in 2k, so for example if the rest of the movie [the real stuff] is shot in 4k, or taken from film at 4k, the CGI still is 2k and has to be upscaled to 4k.

Thinking of how much processor time and storage space it must take to render graphics at 4k I am not shocked. It will most likely take years to get to CGI at true 4k.

"This is the real deal. Everything was digitally shot in 4K or the original 35/70mm film negative was scanned in 4K and all the mastering/editing was done in 4K. Typically, if the film has VFX it was rendered in 2K. Depending on the caliber of CG, the final picture quality might be imperceptible to Real 4K."

I took this from an article called 10 reasons why cgi is getting worse. https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/opinion-10-reasons-why-cgi-is-getting-worse-not-better/

4. The move to HD and 4K make CGI less convincing.
CGI is far from perfect. But when the delivery format was celluloid and SD, it masked the imperfections of CGI and made everything look more realistic. Filmmakers furthered the illusion by purposely compositing CGI into poorly lit scenes and behind elements like smoke and rain. Now with the stunning clarity of 2K and 4K (and even more so with HFR), we’re starting to see the cracks in the pavement. As resolution increases, CGI is becoming less convincing.

Noticed this myself of course, the higher the resolution, the crappier the CGI looks. A lot of SciFi is shot dark, in the rain etc. It's not just to set a mood, it's to cover the defects.

Personally, the less CGI or VFX or whatever you want to call it in a movie the better. I really dislike when it is used to portray impossible human movement. It becomes boring and irritating to me.