• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Really Pissed

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I retired for the first time in 2008 and moved from my native Atlanta to Pensacola. Along about 2012, despite hobbies, travel and charity work, I completed the journey into total boredom and could no longer stand it. I figured that I would get a part time job, not greeting at Walmart or equivalent but something that was an extension of my previous career as a Ga Tech grad, BSCE, Professional engineer and project manager for significant construction projects. I found a small local Contractor (3 million/year) that specialized mostly in sitework projects and agreed to work with them part time, maybe around 16-20 hours/week. Within 1-1/2 years that had morphed buy mutual agreement into full time. Within the next 8 years, the company grew from 3 to 35 million per year. I had personally gotten and run a number of projects that they would have not have gotten without me that netted the owners profits in the literally millions of dollars.

Last Sept (2020) I decided to retire again but agreed to "consult" with them. The now familiar mission creep ran that up to the point that I was working around 30 hours a week until a couple of weeks ago with a, frankly, pretty healthy hourly rate. A month or so ago, one of the two owners confided with me (very privately) that they were in negotiations to sell the company to a major league large civil contraction firm wanting to make inroads into the local market. The announcement was scheduled for Mon the 18th. My appraisal based on observing a number of other takeovers was that my presence was unlikely to be required for more than a few months. But that was okay, I am ''retired" after all.

Every Tuesday AM for years, we've had Tuesday AM meetings with all "managerial" people covering scheduling and several other topics. During this meeting today, I was briskly told to turn over all my flies and remaining jobs and basically don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. All things considered, I assumed that a "we spoken to the new owners and -------------" speech would have been much more appropriate than a "get out, sucks to be you" approach.

You should have seen the expressions on the faces of the other people around the conference table aa they realized the trivially prejudiced manner that they can (and probably will) be dealt with.

The good news is that I'm very unlikely to outlive my money supply.

This and my Sister dying last Tuesday from lung cancer has made October 2021 a sucky month.

wastrel

rather annoying
Reaction score
Condolences on your sister's passing.

I've been in situations where other employees were treated in similar fashion. Such "managers" never seem to take into consideration that the other employees they might want to keep are watching, too. Instant morale destroyer.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
You need more or more expensive hobbies.Have you tried sailing? That can put a dent in the bank account quickly. :).
Sorry to hear about your sister.

Rollie Free

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your misfortunes and your sisters passing Tom.

Is there anything you'd like to share about her?

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your sister. Condolences to you and your familiy.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That sucks on both fronts.

On a side note, it’d be a shame if you hung out your shingle and stole their clients…or made a deal with a headhunter for commission splits when you helped them place all the good folks there at different jobs.

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I retired for the first time in 2008 and moved from my native Atlanta to Pensacola. Along about 2012, despite hobbies, travel and charity work, I completed the journey into total boredom and could no longer stand it. I figured that I would get a part time job, not greeting at Walmart or equivalent but something that was an extension of my previous career as a Ga Tech grad, BSCE, Professional engineer and project manager for significant construction projects. I found a small local Contractor (3 million/year) that specialized mostly in sitework projects and agreed to work with them part time, maybe around 16-20 hours/week. Within 1-1/2 years that had morphed buy mutual agreement into full time. Within the next 8 years, the company grew from 3 to 35 million per year. I had personally gotten and run a number of projects that they would have not have gotten without me that netted the owners profits in the literally millions of dollars.

Last Sept (2020) I decided to retire again but agreed to "consult" with them. The now familiar mission creep ran that up to the point that I was working around 30 hours a week until a couple of weeks ago with a, frankly, pretty healthy hourly rate. A month or so ago, one of the two owners confided with me (very privately) that they were in negotiations to sell the company to a major league large civil contraction firm wanting to make inroads into the local market. The announcement was scheduled for Mon the 18th. My appraisal based on observing a number of other takeovers was that my presence was unlikely to be required for more than a few months. But that was okay, I am ''retired" after all.

Every Tuesday AM for years, we've had Tuesday AM meetings with all "managerial" people covering scheduling and several other topics. During this meeting today, I was briskly told to turn over all my flies and remaining jobs and basically don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. All things considered, I assumed that a "we spoken to the new owners and -------------" speech would have been much more appropriate than a "get out, sucks to be you" approach.

You should have seen the expressions on the faces of the other people around the conference table aa they realized the trivially prejudiced manner that they can (and probably will) be dealt with.

This and my Sister dying last Tuesday from lung cancer has made October 2021 a sucky month.
Sorry to hear about this Tom, sounds like absolute BS.

There are people that get "it" and those that don't. The people that don't get it, are the ones that will suck the life out of others to get ahead in life without ever acknowledging what really got them to that point.

I wish you continued enjoyment in your retirement, and sorry to hear about the loss of your sister.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sorry about your sister Tom.
Hope you enjoy retirement!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

Sounds somewhat familure....closed my companies and retired in 2010...younger sister passed in her 40s of colon cancer ...did some consulting on some buyouts....one of the common themes was a basic lack of understanding of how key people are in construction...watched a buyout with that attitude go under in less than 2yrs....retired totally...never looked back...it takes a while to get out of the need to work mentality...busy now doing hobby stuff on the farm...doubt if I could ever work with idiots again...doubt I can outlive my funds but if I should my kids would love to take care of me....life is good....relax and give it some time

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your sister, but as to the job, screw them and Walmart needs you...

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your sister. Have you considered taking up profesional protesting :) I think that will be my new hobby.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your sister too.

As to the job, it can be disappointing but it sounds like you were being adequately paid during the time you were working. And at the end of each pay period, you and your employer were square. Either one of you have the right to terminate the agreed arrangement at any time. And they chose to exercise that right.

Capitalism seems to suck that way sometimes but it's the only way it works.

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
My condolences for your sister.

On the job front, remember that more companies have unintentionally committed suicide by their own hand. This is just another case of that.

You can always show up at their competitor willing to work for peanuts just to spite your old ungrateful employer and laugh everyday you give them agita.

My brother got pushed out of a bank by a backstabbing corporate climber and wound up getting a job at their largest customer. Since he knew all the weak points of the banks processes, he would strategically submit bids and requests knowing that they would exceed their service level agreements and have to eat the commissions. Needless to say, the corporate climber now manages a car wash in a bad neighborhood.

You can have fun basically doing the same thing and there is nothing they can do to stop you.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sorry about your sister.

At least you are financially stable, where you can walk away and not worry about your next meal. You had loyalty to that employer and made them cash. Dream up what you can say, if they call you to offer your job back.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You need more or more expensive hobbies.Have you tried sailing? That can put a dent in the bank account quickly. :).
Sorry to hear about your sister.
BOATING - Busting Out Another Thousand.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
That sucks on both fronts.

On a side note, it’d be a shame if you hung out your shingle and stole their clients…or made a deal with a headhunter for commission splits when you helped them place all the good folks there at different jobs.
Tom -- I am so very sorry. I think Usury has a good idea... it's multifaceted.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite movies is office space.

Scorpio

для продажи слегка подержанный
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
be well TomD,

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Condolences on yer sister. Cancer sucks. Find a hobby, helping animals or people. My DAD told me when you retire you die. So keep doing something that you are needed for.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss
Maybe build a wood shop......

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score

Dang. Sorry to hear about your sister. deepest condolences. The rest of it is just shit ;)