• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Recommended Vehicle for 60+ yo Active Woman

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My mom's Ranger and Cabrio are reaching their time. She wants to narrow down to one vehicle. She lives alone and is more active and able than most men. She loves her 98 Ranger and is often approached out and about from folks wanting to buy it. The New England weather has rusted it to feck. She loves the convertible VW(POS IMO) but at least it's a stick as is the Ranger.

She likes the idea of cheaper insurance on a truck but wants good MPG too. She's mentioned hybrids which got me all nervous so I'm coming here to get some help!

So looking for:

• Good reviews
  • Certified used
  • Large cargo area
  • Good MPG
  • Good in snow

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

You can get these used, they're unbelievable in the snow and they're built like tanks!

Seriously, I have a 2013 Tacoma and it just runs. They're extremely reliable, mine gets 26mpg (5 sp stick) and they comfortably ride like a car with the ability of working like a truck. Best truck on the market for the money IMHO!

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
lol Fortunately the flying spittle missed the monitor. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My buddy has a legacy outback but only gets 24mpg average. Got any models that do better than that?

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
get her a 1967 or 1968 Barracuda Convertible with the 318 2bbl or better yet and more rare would be with the slant 6. B5 blue would be my first choice but then again she might prefer a custom paint job

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
recommended gear ratio?

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Get her a Tacoma - they still come in a manual. I have a 4Runner that I am running into the ground. Lol.. once it is done, I’m getting a Tacoma.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
hows your milage BD. BTW It's great to see you again.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I'll put in a third for Subaru's. I have a Forester (7 years old, now) that's awesome in every way. Cargo room is decent, but you might need an Outback, for more space. I just really like the way the Forester handles. It feels good to drive it and Subaru was one of the only makers offering a manual transmission, at the time.

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
@DodgebyDave Like for the slant six call out!
4:10 for off the line :)
You would need to overdrive the tranny by 35% for any reasonable mpg. My 2003 Silverado has a 3:70 gear and nothing much can run the first 100 yards with me.

@newmisty MPG has so much to do with driver control. I can usually squeeze 4 more mpg from our vehicles than the wife can. Never owned a Subaru, but I rarely hear of any complaints about the newer ones.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
@DodgebyDave Like for the slant six call out!

You would need to overdrive the tranny by 50% for any reasonable mpg. My 2003 Silverado has a 3:70 gear and nothing much cal run the first 100 yards with me.
@newmisty MPG has so much to do with driver control. I can usually squeeze 4 more mpg from our vehicles than the wife can. Never owned a Subaru, but I rarely hear of any complaints about the newer ones.
My lead foot was inherited from her side.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm going with the Subaru. I have had rangers and exploders and both get stuck on a dime. Now that all wheel drive thingy which is stick just gets along in the mud also, also you might think of a sidekick. The gal bought one....actually I did but anywhooo...she got all scared about the ice like freezing rain ice so I took her to town in the automatic and showed her how to just shift it down out of the overdrive-coast into direct drive and use the engine to slow the roll. That little sidekick was the best automatic I have ever used in those conditions, but now that Subaru by gollie I feel safe in it; well until an out of control tow truck wipes my ass out, but other than that I'm go'n Subaru.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
hows your milage BD. BTW It's great to see you again.
Nice to see you too. :-)

It is a 2008 with 163000 miles on it. Only major repair so far is the AC that I replaced last spring.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice to see you too. :-)

It is a 2008 with 163000 miles on it. Only major repair so far is the AC that I replaced last spring.
I'm sorry, I meant gas mileage . I'm glad you mentioned the manual. My mom has never owned an auto!

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The 4Runner is a mid sized suv so mpg isn’t that great - it gets about 20-21 mpg. Mine is a v 6. It’s an auto, but I’m tired of auto and want to go back to a manual.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Check out the cost for common repairs and replacement parts for whatever you choose to buy
Headlights can be costly on newer cars. It sucks having to take the front grill and bumper off to change a headlights
All the$$ you save on good gas mileage will get used up on simple repairs if you don't do your homework.

Myself , Im hooked on Old 2wheel drive chevy pickups and drive the shit out of them. Cheap to fix and no problems in the snow with dedicated snow tires and a little weight in the bed.
No instrument panel telling you what to do. Harassing you to put air in the RR tire or washing fluid in the jug , seatbelt light buzzing you .
No airbag exploding your faceoff to save you as ya plunge into the bay cuzz ya was playing with the eletronic dohickys on the the dashboard while driving over a bridge . And hand crank windows to get out of the sinking truck ( power windows might not work) and save your faceless azz?........or just

Buy a Subaru

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That stepside in the picture is gorgeous. Looks like a 67

Crockett

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
My vote is also for Subaru. IMO the best all-wheel drive system made. I don’t get very good gas mileage with my turbocharged Subaru Forester but that is because I am a certified lead foot.

No .... seatbelt light buzzing you.
During the Subaru test drive the seatbelt alarm kept dinging, but not realizing what it was because every car I have owned I have personally disconnected them, I asked the salesman that went along for the ride that what the heck is that obnoxious noise? Later when I picked the car up I noticed right away that somebody had disabled the alarm. I call that shrewd customer courtesy.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
There’s a trick to disabling the Subaru belt bells. Fasten and unfasten the seatbelt in rapid succession 10 times with the key turned to accessory or some such. My son did it to his. Easy peasy

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
A Subaru if you are in the snow. I had a '86 Legacy that would do circles around anything out there in the snow.

Currently I drive a 2012 CRV AWD. Nice ride. Not a lot of storage room, but will haul 4 adults & 1 child comfortably.

MPG is around 28, though I've gotten 36 at one point. If you put your foot into it expect 20.

Some say there is a blind spot on the back right, but most cars have that.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks for the replies all. I'm getting her the tank.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I own both a CX-5 & CRV . Think of them as Accords that ride high although the CRV is based on the Civic platform while the CX-5 like like a Mazda6/Miata. The CX-5 is slightly more refined than the Honda and has a 1 to 2 mpg advantage too.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
lol, there are guys out there getting 25mpg with 500hp big blocks. Here is how.

First, yank off that old stinky carb and intake, put them in the scrap bin. direct port fuel injection is the key. This can be accomplished with a simple Holley/ Edelbrock kit or the more exotic build I did with a Torker II

1) drill and mill for the injector bungs. Weld into place.

2) Procure a 4 pot holley throttle body

3) 60lb per hour injectors.

4) an ecu that can be "tuned"

next, we are going distributerless! Crank triggers Ahoy!

you'll need a 5 or 6 spd manual. You set it up like a dual range manual gear box. 1st-3rd are the "go" gears, 4-6 are your "cruise" gears. We did this for years in stock cars on big ovals. 1st and second used only to get out of the pits, 3rd was the passing gear and 4th was the fuel economy gear

2.72 rear end

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
My mom (age 75) has a Toyota Rav4. It serves her well...gets her around the snow and ice of Minnesota in the winter.
Hard to argue against Subaru, though. They are good vehicles.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Is your mom hot?
I gotta friend who'd be interested in sharing one of his three vehicles, but, she's gotta be at least

alive

yeah?
:belly laugh:

jk:alien3:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just found out she's leasing a 2019 Subaru Impreza.

They offered her $200 trade in for her Cabrio with 155,000mi. Needless to say she LOL and will sell it herself.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just found out she's leasing a 2019 Subaru Impreza.

They offered her $200 trade in for her Cabrio with 155,000mi. Needless to say she LOL and will sell it herself.
My daughter and her husband both have Subaru Impreza's. He has a hatchback, she has a sedan. She went to trade her Nissan Versa with 145,000 on it. She was offered a dollar. She sold it to me for that much. That is a dollar more than she paid me for her first car. The transaction comes in handy because I pick up the grandkids from school 3 days a week. Can't fit two kids in my Caravan with both back seats removed.

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Eldest son has a 2000 4runner 200k+ miles runs like new. Motor purrs. We off road, I mean way off road. I own a 1998 Land Rover Discovery. That Toyota is amazing, he's gone over wet boulders with ease. Still looks good, roomy and decent mileage. Bulletproof. Also, holds resale value. New ones look even better, pricey, but lasts a good long time.