• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Rememendered Anger

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
https://www.city-journal.org/atlanta-growth

Read an article in the City Journal about how Atlanta's growth rate has fallen to the point at which it's "most dynamic city" title was in definite jeopardy. A, if not the, principle reason the article mentioned was constant gridlock due to the failure to keep ahead of the traffic with planning and arterial road construction.

Yep, that sounds about right, after living there my entire life, my inability to put up with an average traffic speed down a bicycle levels ran me out of there. Not to mention the daily view of 10-16 lanes dead stopped, roasting vehicles shimmering in the glaring sun.

But nowhere in the article was the question asked how this condition was allowed to happen despite the predictability.

Somebody or some group of extremely rich somebodies wanted it.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's, a series of arterials, led by what was called the "northern perimeter" was proposed and pushed hard a number of times. Each time, the result was the same: a blizzard of law suits from "environmental" groups killed every single one of them. It wasn't a secret, it was all over the news, radio, TV, papers. I remember around the 2nd or 3rd time the northern perimeter was killed, hearing of the Sierra Club several times, suing in Federal Court. I wondered just who the hell were they to come in and start screwing with our city. Not just the northern perimeter, EVERY proposed arterial was killed multiples of times. The roads still aren't built. I remember being royally pissed that the newspapers or somebody wasn't going out to find exactly who was driving those lawsuits.

So here it is 20-30 years later and Atlanta is dying a traffic death but nobody remembers that the situation was purposefully made. And nobody knows who.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Same as every city in the US. Our infrastructure is crumbling. Roads, bridges, etc. are not being repared/replaced/resurfaced because of .gov mismanagement of transportation tax dollars and the high cost of union wages of road construction companies that dont work at the first sign of a sprinkle. There is very little room to expand roads and intersections in cities and "environmentalists" have very little to do with that. The population and number of cars on the road in cities/suburbs only continues to increase; there is no response to that fact.

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Phoenix has skirted that somewhat. Finally building a stretch south into Chadler and toward South Mountain. The widening of I-10 heading west is coming along and once it's rubberized it's so quiet. Once the inner connections were done it loosened up a lot of inner city congestion. My only question...why not put 6-7 lanes in originally? They knew we're growing, get the money and do it. Every so many years we have to go through closures for expansion...also, work at night...cooler and not causing major road blocks.
Also...I want part of the action on those barricades!! Who owns that part of the interstate pie?

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Turnpike put in 2 lanes both directions. Then changed the speed limit to 55 for trucks & 65 for cars making it into a single lane road. After that stunt they rebuilt the overpass bridges with 2 center supports. Then they widened it to 3 lanes or made more roon in the median and rebuilt the bridges again with a single center support. Simply another way to harvest tax dollars along with crap paying jobs that need redone EVERY F'ING YEAR!

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Also...I want part of the action on those barricades!! Who owns that part of the interstate pie?
There are companies that rent those by the day. Usually the company name is on the barricades or barrels. The industry is called MOT, maintenance of traffic, a requirement for a lot of jobs that I do.

Pyramid, I'm not talking about infrastructure maintenance though that's a problem everywhere despite hundreds of billions in fuel taxes supposedly to be used for just that purpose. I'm talking about a state DOT and a major metro area purposefully being restrained from installing much needed infrastructure for, I think, the exact purpose of creating crippling traffic.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Never again will We drive thru Atlanta before 11:00 pm.... the traffic driving thru I75 is insane, takes about 3 - 4 hours to drive thru during daylight hours.... they need a by-pass for the by-pass.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Worst driving I ever had was there. One time I went greyhound and it stopped there... worse than nashville depot. Bathrooms missing doors and every stall had gloryholes.... I refused to even shit there.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Dang, and you all live in the greatest place in the world? I could take off tomorrow and take a paved road for 4 hours and probably meet 4 vehicles on 884. Got roads around me that only see a vehicle come hunting season. A traffic jam is two people talking to each other out their truck windows. Think I'll continue living here.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Dang, and you all live in the greatest place in the world? I could take off tomorrow and take a paved road for 4 hours and probably meet 4 vehicles on 884. Got roads around me that only see a vehicle come hunting season. A traffic jam is two people talking to each other out their truck windows. Think I'll continue living here.
My nearest city is 19,000 strong. It's 26 miles to the grocery store & takes 18 to 20 minutes ! The road is 2 lanes in each direction & we average 5 or 6 cars per mile !
A traffic jam in town, is when traffic on I-5 slows to 50 MPH.
We love it !
The down side is that the governess is a commie cunt !!!!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Same as every city in the US. Our infrastructure is crumbling. Roads, bridges, etc. are not being repared/replaced/resurfaced because of .gov mismanagement of transportation tax dollars and the high cost of union wages of road construction companies that dont work at the first sign of a sprinkle. There is very little room to expand roads and intersections in cities and "environmentalists" have very little to do with that. The population and number of cars on the road in cities/suburbs only continues to increase; there is no response to that fact.
What most citizens fail to watch is WHERE the States' Gasoline/ Road Tax is actually spent. Most states wrote their law as a Road Tax so their citizenry believes it goes to road maintenance and construction. Most states' dip into those monies for issues like paying the State Patrol ( KY does this), Counties with very little traffic issues and low populations still get Road Funds distributed to them equally to that of the major metropolitan areas, areas with high traffic rates and numerous infrastructure. So what ends up the Low Traffic /Populations get monies that will not be used for any road type improvement - SURPLUS. While high population / traffic counties /areas are usually run at deficits .
Just like the monies the lottery states bring in. Most states claim they earmarked that money for education yet that revenue gets mixed right into the General Fund for general use and a few crumbs go to education.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Just like the monies the lottery states bring in. Most states claim they earmarked that money for education yet that revenue gets mixed right into the General Fund for general use and a few crumbs go to education.
If the lottery money isn't sufficient to pay for 100% of education's cost, it makes sense to depisit it into the general fund. As it could still be spent on education.

Think of it like this. Let's say your grocery expenses are $500 per month and you start getting an extra $50 a month that is only to be spent on groceries. Does it make sense to set up an additional bank account to manage that $50 in order to ensure that it is only spent on groceries, or would it be easier to just add it to the account you're already spending the $500 out of?
If kept seperate, now you have to transfer $450 a month from your regular account into your grocery account, and then write checks on that account.
Much easier to just deposit in one account with the knowledge that $50 of your grocery money is coming from somewhere else.

Now if the lottery was bringing in enough to cover all costs of education, it might be easier to set up a seperate account for that.
...but it doesn't bring in that much.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If the lottery money isn't sufficient to pay for 100% of education's cost, it makes sense to depisit it into the general fund. As it could still be spent on education.

Think of it like this. Let's say your grocery expenses are $500 per month and you start getting an extra $50 a month that is only to be spent on groceries. Does it make sense to set up an additional bank account to manage that $50 in order to ensure that it is only spent on groceries, or would it be easier to just add it to the account you're already spending the $500 out of?
If kept seperate, now you have to transfer $450 a month from your regular account into your grocery account, and then write checks on that account.
Much easier to just deposit in one account with the knowledge that $50 of your grocery money is coming from somewhere else.

Now if the lottery was bringing in enough to cover all costs of education, it might be easier to set up a seperate account for that.
...but it doesn't bring in that much.
But the hype / promotion of lotteries was angled that ALL Those monies would go to education not just a few crumbs the politicians have decided to put to education. EVERY state with lotteries is raking in far more than what should have been added to the already Education Budget. (I hope I said that clear, IDK)

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
EVERY state with lotteries is raking in far more than what should have been added to the already Education Budget. (I hope I said that clear, IDK)
instead of "adding to", think of it terms of how much it takes to replace what was/is being spent on education.
As long as more is being spent on education than what the lottery takes in, the balance still has to come from the general fund, so the lottery money might as well be deposited there to begin with.

Now if the lottery was bringing in enough to cover all costs of education
Remember reading recently about Colorado "SIN" tax revenue....it was a big deal because they just cleared a billion since legalizing the cannabis.

I think it said Colorado spends something like $6-9 billion per year on public schools?