• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Replacing deep cycle lead-acid for off-grid homes

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Local Popular Mechanics had a user letter about an alternative to using lead-acid batteries.

He uses a 6.7 kWh supercapacitor from KiloWatt Labs.

Advantages (according to the letter)

1. Temperature tolerance from -25 to 85 deg C. (-13 to 185 deg F)
2. Round-trip efficiency of 99.12% with 1 000 000 cycles at 100%.
3. Functions optimally for 40+ years.
4. 100% recyclable.
5. No capacity degradation.
6. Non-hazardous, non-flammable and non-toxic.

His system in summary.

1. 12x JA 310 W solar panels. Combined output of 3 720 W.
2. Fronius 4 kW inverter managing the solar panels power.
3. Victron Inverter (48V input, max out of 8 000 VA and max charge of 110 Amps.)

Been runing for two years without any issues.

Illustrates an example where the supercapacitor was down to 50% and only took 28 minutes to recharge.

Letter doesn't mention any pricing. (I can guess.)

PS. I have no connection to any of the products mentioned and I'm just relaying an option. I did take a photo of the article but when sized right to upload, the text is not readable.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Local Popular Mechanics had a user letter about an alternative to using lead-acid batteries.

Advantages (according to the letter)

1. Temperature tolerance from -25 to 85 deg C. (-13 to 185 deg F)
2. Round-trip efficiency of 99.12% with 1 000 000 cycles at 100%.
3. Fucntions optimally for 40+ years.
4. 100% recyclable.
5. No capacity degradation.
6. Non-hazardous, non-flammable and non-toxic.

His system in summary.

1. 12x JA 310 W solar panels. Combined output of 3 720 W.
2. Fronius 4 kW inverter managing the solar panels power.
3. Victron Inverter (48V input, max out of 8 000 VA and max charge of 110 Amps.)

Been runing for two years without any issues.

Illustrates an example where the supercapacitor was down to 50% and only took 28 minutes to recharge.

Letter doesn't mention any pricing. (I can guess.)

PS. I have no connection to any of the products mentioned and I'm just relaying an option. I did take a photo of the article but when sized right to upload the text is not readable.

Golden Regards
Uncle
Quality costs, and is usually well worth it ! :2 thumbs up:

Last edited:

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Interesting, worldwide firm, only one dealer in usa https://cicusa.com/energy-storage-supercapacitors/

Locally, according to their website, there is only one dealer as well.

With some searching I found other, smaller, installer companies also supplying.

I suspect the 'dealer' on their website is more of a distributor.

I still need to contact a local operation for pricing.

Golden Regards
Uncle

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I am highly skeptical about the supercapitor claims. I'm looking into LiFePO4 to replace my lead acid batteries. It has a sticker-shock up front cost but on a cost-per-cycle basis possibly comes out cheaper. One of the more popular brands is SimpliPhi, with a lot of others, some of them at lower cost. Hard to determine which is the best overall value.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I am highly skeptical about the supercapitor claims. I'm looking into LiFePO4 to replace my lead acid batteries. It has a sticker-shock up front cost but on a cost-per-cycle basis possibly comes out cheaper. One of the more popular brands is SimpliPhi, with a lot of others, some of them at lower cost. Hard to determine which is the best overall value.

What makes you skeptical? Just interested in your perspective/opinion.

I use LiPo in RC and I keep mine in the garage in a 3mm metal sheet box. Have seen and heard of many burnt vehicles and houses.

I know it's not the same chemistry but I'm scared of anything containing Lithium.

Seems the guy that wrote the PM letter is getting good mileage. Some local feedback (mostly farmer) on installer websites are good as well.

I'm quite interested in the subject as we're experiencing many 'loadhsedding' exposides and I'm exploring possible components.

Golden Regards
Uncle

TN_Preacher

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Nice advantages, but they still have significant drawbacks, I believe. I'll bet the supercapacitor had a super price compared to conventional battery storage. Also, the energy density is super less than conventional, so that supercapacitor battery must be super large. And then there is the discharge rate (dv/dt) that declines super fast compared to a conventional battery. If they can improve those attributes, they could be competitive.

I wonder if that guy got a major discount from KL, knowing it would be a great way to advertise :)

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Nice advantages, but they still have significant drawbacks, I believe. I'll bet the supercapacitor had a super price compared to conventional battery storage. Also, the energy density is super less than conventional, so that supercapacitor battery must be super large. And then there is the discharge rate (dv/dt) that declines super fast compared to a conventional battery. If they can improve those attributes, they could be competitive.

I wonder if that guy got a major discount from KL, knowing it would be a great way to advertise :)

A discount in South Africa from a US company, for advertisement purposes? OK.

At my assumed prices (in excess of $1500) I bet many in South Africa would clamour for it. </sarcasm>

It is not that large. For the unit the writer has, 6.7 kWh. (And I've fitted less than half the capacity in more than 6x the space for lead-acid, taking cabling into account.)

Width 456 mm (18")
Depth 547 mm (21")
Height 430 mm (17")

The discharge rate seems to be able to supply a home at conventional rates for the required period.

"Significat drawbacks, I believe...." Any non-believe data?

Golden Regards
Uncle

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
What makes you skeptical? Just interested in your perspective/opinion.
I consider my capacitor skepticism (capacitor hesitancy??? ;)) to be an intuitive opinion. It just sounds fishy to me, similar to how I'd react to the proverbial 100 mpg carburetor. If LiFePO4 is very dangerous I'm allowing myself to be misled. Terminology is important as the only lithium oxide battery most people are aware of is the lithium cobalt oxide chemistry of exploding cell phone and laptop fame. The lithium iron phosphate chemistry is touted as being pretty darn safe, with a higher thermal runaway temperature, no risk of explosion, and very reluctant to ignite or burn. My awareness of them is relatively new. I'm looking only because I lost one of my two 48 volt AGM banks in a PV system. This bank was 4 series connected 12 volt AGMs, two of which had at least one shorted cell. The remaining cells were getting cooked by the charger and I was altered only after the PV system started acting wonky in reaction to its optional battery temp sensor. All 4 of the AGMs were getting pretty darn hot and I wonder (but don't know) how ugly it would have gotten had the cooking continued indefinitely. Is LiFePO4 riskier? Not having done any in-house testing I'm a slave to what I read. I once accidentally punctured a very small lithium cobalt oxide battery and its fire was both spectacular and scary. I'm giving myself a few months to make a decision (helps to have a second AGM bank). The last-ditch fallback is to use 8 golf cart batteries from costco. I'm a bit disappointed in AGMs for this application.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Scotty Kilmer showed us a capacitor doohickey-mabobber that uses the very dead battery that needs to be jump started, to charge itself to indeed jump said battery. It sits in yp
Your trunk with no electrons, hook it up to your dead battery and it generates enough amps to crank the vehicle.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, tigerwillow1, much appreciated.

Found a local price online for the unit in the OP. Eyewatering at $6285.87. But feasible, IMO when looking at expected life-cycle.

A compareable Li-Ion stack is $2627.93

A few projects from one installer.

I'm not sure if the prices mentioned in the site above is representative.

Golden Regards
Uncle

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Now I have another new thing to keep track of! Based on my long held knowledge of capacitors I'm surprised that they can come even close to what's claimed, but it looks like supercapacitors are a relatively new animal I never learned about. I'm utterly surprised at the claimed round-trip efficiency, and specs like # of cycles and low safety risk are difficult for me to accept without more convincing. One big thing I wondered about is the self discharge rate, which I expect to be bad. The specs for the Sirius supercapacitor device look a bit contradictory to me. In the main specs it says 5% over 25 days, then the footnote says "Self-discharge: (1) 30% after 30 days; (2) 80% after 60 days; Self-discharge only when not charging or discharging; No memory effect; Module can be recharged to 100% at any time."

All this info definitely puts me in wait-and-see mode. I was in hell-no mode a few days ago.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

JumpStarterExpert.com

Best Batteryless Jump Starter Review [UPDATED 2020] | Rezervo RZ 300​

(Last Updated On: April 10, 2020)
Picture this – you’re on your way to attend an important meeting, maybe a job interview, anniversary or your kid’s birthday. On reaching the parking lot, you try starting your car, but nothing – you’ve got a flat battery again! Unfortunately, you don’t have a jump starter, so you wait around the parking lot for anyone willing to help you, but you end up in the security office because someone reported a person loitering, who might be looking to steal one of the cars. Well, it does not have to come to this. In this article we will reveal to you how a batteryless jump starter works, the difference between a batteryless and ordinary jump box, and also a batteryless jump starter review of the top 5 products on the market today.
Batteryless Jump Starter

The table below provides you with a quick snapshot of these reviews, comparing the best units of 2020. Particularly impressive is the Autowit Jump Starter, Rezervo RZ 300 and the Schumacher DSR109.
BEST BATTERYLESS JUMP STARTERS 2020
Search:
ProductVoltage/
Peak Currents
Key FeaturesCheck PriceReview
autowit jump starter
Autowit 12V Portable Batteryless Car Jump Starter
12V/
700A
-Has a reported lifespan of up to 20 years due to its inbuilt supercapacitor which allows it to withstand over 100,000 cycles.
-You can use it at high and low temperatures. It can resist a dry-heat temperature of 70 degrees Celsius as well as extreme cold below -40 degrees Celsius.
-Charges within 3 minutes making it convenient for all emergency jump starts.
-The supercapacitor physically activates power to avoid explosions and sparks.
Check Price Now!Autowit 12V Battery-less Portable Car Jump Starter Review
ir

Rezervo RZ-300 Batteryless Jump Starter
12V/
300A
-Safe to use, and a short-circuiting or wrong terminal connection will not damage the ultracapacitor.
-Has a long shelf life.
-Since it does not use batteries, it gives you instant recharging and saves you time.
-Can jump-start your car even in freezing weather.
-Can charge off of your car's low voltage battery.
Check Price Now!Rezervo RZ-300 Batteryless Jump Starter Review

Schumacher DSR109 12V 800A DOE Jump Starter
(EDITOR's CHOICE)
12V/
800A
-Lightweight for easy lifting and carrying.
-Takes a short time to charge.
-Has an approximate 10 year lifespan.
Check Price Now!Schumacher DSR109 12V 800A DOE Jump Starter Review

SP Tools Ultra Capacitor Jump Starter SP700a
12V/
700A
-Highly versatile since you can get power for jump starting using four methods, including via a USB port.
-Comes with a case providing you with convenience when carrying it.
Check Price Now!SP Tools Ultra Capacitor Jump Starter SP700a Review
You can also read reviews from people who have bought these devices over here:
>> Click Here to See Owner Reviews on Amazon <<
*Note, this post contains several affiliate links for which I receive a commission should a sale result.

What is the Difference between a Batteryless Jump Starter and an Ordinary Jump Box?

In simple terms, an ultracapacitor-based jump starter harnesses power from the weak battery in the vehicle you are trying to jump start to charge the capacitors within the unit. This happens within a minute or so. When charged, the voltage output from the capacitors is stepped up to between 13 and 15V so that is can then push a large amount of current into the alternator of your car and start your engine.
This is extremely convenient as then you don’t need to remember to recharge your jump starter as it will do this as and when it is needed. The downside though is that batteryless jump starters don’t have capacity to then charge other portable devices such as phones, laptops, etc, as most lithium ion and sealed lead acid battery based jump boxes do.
Another advantage of a batteryless jumper box is that you can store it while drained for a period spanning years and it will only need a few minutes to be instantly charged, making it a maintenance free product. Without getting too technical, the difference in charge time arises because ultracapacitors store their energy in an electric field while Li-ion batteries or lead-based batteries rely on a chemical reaction. A lead acid or lithium-ion jump starter will store energy for months, but you will have to spend hours recharging it.
rezervo rz 300

Ultracapacitors have 60 times more power density than the ordinary batteries hence its ability to recharge within a short time. However, an average jump starter has a higher energy density meaning it discharge for a more extended period than the ultracapacitor.
The ultracapacitor jump starter is also an excellent performer even in extreme weather conditions, and it keeps the same starting current despite cold weather. As mentioned in my guide on finding the best jump starter, battery based devices can lose more than half of their cranking current in cold weather.
A batteryless jump starter also has the advantage of environmentally friendly materials, unlike the ordinary jump box which may be lead-based. Lead is a toxic metal that can result in lead poisoning which could be fatal, besides causing extensive environmental degradation.

Batteryless Jump Starter How It Works

Before buying yourself a batteryless jump starter, it is always a good idea to learn how it works and the best way to operate one. Here is a quick guide to help you if the manufacturer’s instructions are a little difficult to follow:
  1. Match the battery terminals of your vehicle to the coloured alligator clips and connect your batteryless jump starter.
  2. Turn on the unit at which point it will begin charging the capacitors. Most units grant you at most two chances for cranking your engine therefore you will need all the current you can get before losing the boost to jump start the vehicle.
  3. Ensure that no moving parts are around the starter and turn off any auxiliary features on the starter such as the LED light to avoid draining power and reducing the jump starter’s peak amperage.
  4. When the unit indicates it is charged or ready (within a few seconds or a couple of minutes, depending on the design of your capacitor jump starter and the degree to which your vehicle battery is discharged) step inside your vehicle and turn the key to start the engine.
  5. If this fails, try again after at least 3-5minutes. If you try again too soon, you could damage the jump starter. Also, you will notice a change in amperage as you keep attempting because the more you try to jumpstart the engine, the less peak amperage the jump starter will output.
  6. Try once more after 3-5minutes and if the engine doesn’t start, accept that the battery is too far gone and call/look for help.

Best Batteryless Jump Starter Review – UPDATED 2020

1. Autowit Jump Starter 12V Battery-less

autowit batteryless jump starter
ir

The Autowit jump starter is perfectly suitable for both petrol and diesel fuelled engines. It has an output of 12V and comes with a manual, charger and adapter.

Pros

• Has a reported lifespan of up to 20 years due to its inbuilt supercapacitor which allows it to withstand over 100,000 cycles.
  • You can use it at high and low temperatures. It can resist a dry-heat temperature of 70 degrees Celsius as well as extreme cold below -40 degrees Celsius.
  • Charges within 3 minutes making it convenient for all emergency jump starts.
  • The supercapacitor physically activates power to avoid explosions and sparks.

Cons

• It is a bit pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for. You need to decide for yourself in the end.
>> Check It Out Here! <<

2. Schumacher DSR109 12V 800A DOE Jump Starter

Batteryless Jump Starter Review
ir

This is a great offering from Schumacher. It is microprocessor controlled meaning you can adjust the rate it actually charges. You can use it for both gas and diesel engines, and its glow mode even enables you to cold start a diesel engine!
It has a 10,000 cycle lifespan equating to approximately 10 years of use, and its override mode makes it possible to start an engine without the need for a battery. It is 100% maintenance free and has short circuit and reverse polarity protection.
The Schumacher DSR109 jump starter package includes a wrench, manual, DSR109 jump starter and 12V DC charging cable.
Pros
  • Lightweight for easy lifting and carrying.
  • Takes a short time to charge.
  • Has an approximate 10 year lifespan.
Cons
  • You have to charge it first and allow it to refresh between cranking attempts if your first try does not start the car.
  • It discharges very quickly.
  • The cables do not easily disconnect, and they dangle, making storage cumbersome. Since they are also short, wrapping them around the box is impossible.
>> Check It Out Here! <<

3. Rezervo RZ 300 Review

Batteryless Jump Starter How It Works
ir

The Rezervo RZ 300 uses ultracapacitor technology to jump-start your car. It has a built-in circuitry design that consists of short circuit and reverse polarity protection.
It is 100% maintenance free, and you can use it in gas and diesel engines. It also has a respectable starting current of 300A.

Pros

• Safe to use, and a short-circuiting or wrong terminal connection will not damage the ultracapacitor.
  • Has a long shelf life.
  • Since it does not use batteries, it gives you instant recharging and saves you time.
  • Can jump-start your car even in freezing weather.
  • Can charge off of your car’s low voltage battery.

Cons

• Has comparatively low energy density.
>> Check It Out Here! <<

4. SP Tools Ultra Capacitor Jump Starter SP700a

EnergyfloBatteryless Jump Starter
ir

With its fantastic 700a peak current output, this unit can jump start petrol engines of up to 5L and diesel engines up to 3L. It also has a really attractive design and built tough to withstand a reasonable pounding.

Pros

• Highly versatile since you can get power for jump starting using four methods, including via a USB port.
  • Comes with a case providing you with convenience when carrying it.

Cons

• It weighs a beefy 11.02lbs, making it heavier than other ultracapacitor starters.
>> Check It Out Here! <<

Conclusion

Batteryless jump starters afford you the advantage of not having to wait by the roadside for anyone to help you since all it needs is your car’s battery, even when it is almost dead. However, they have the downside of being a little more pricey than standard jump starters, and can’t serve as a portable powerbank for your cell phone, laptop and other devices.
Despite this, they are a worthy investment for your vehicle, not only saving you time, but their extended lifespan over normal jump starters saves you money in the long run. We give them the thumbs up – go ahead and get yourself one today!

POSTED UNDER
CAR COMPACT MOTORCYCLE

Post navigation​

The Best Heavy Duty Truck Jump Starter [UPDATED 2020] | 12 & 24V Jump Boxes
Tryminimax Review [UPDATED 2020] | Minimax Power Pack & Charger
Search for:

OTHER POPULAR ARTICLES​

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
it will only need a few minutes to be instantly charged
Something about that phrase just isn't right. Nothing to do with the technology, just the equating of a few minutes and instantly. Reminds me of a microwave oven writeup that said after the microwave stops, the food continues to cook using its own energized energy.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
.Eeminds me of a microwave oven writeup that said after the microwave stops, the food continues to cook using its own energized energy.
It does. It's called "heat".

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Something about that phrase just isn't right. Nothing to do with the technology, just the equating of a few minutes and instantly. Reminds me of a microwave oven writeup that said after the microwave stops, the food continues to cook using its own energized energy.

Same concept below.

Golden Regards
Uncle

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
What is this crap "such a dangerous thing to do", what a fucking pussy !!!!! We called it
"free flight" in my day and it is NOT dangerous. They even had FUEL & a 8,000 rpm propeller !!!!
It was fun to chase them down on our bicycles !!!
I once chased by biggest one from Santa Ana to Buena Park, about 12/15 MILES !!!! :finished: :finished: :finished:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm jaded. I have been reading articles like this about technological advances in storage capacity etc for at least 20 years, and ordinary lead acid batteries that have been around for a century are still the best bang for your buck.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
My main concern is the safety aspect of LiFePo4 batteries. I've heard everything from no risk at all to ticking time bomb.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Last edited:

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Bunch of guys on Youtube are building their own batteries for cheap.

ex.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
The safety claims for LiFePO4 batteries are pretty strong. FAA tested some of the different Li-ion chemistries here https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TC-16-17.pdf . While not digesting or comprehending a lot of the report, my main takeaway is that all the Li-ion types can go into thermal runaway, but LiFePO4 stands out as having a significantly lower temperature rise. Enough to make the difference between combusting or not, or exploding or not. Here's a snip of a typical LiFePO4 promotion article from Lithium Battery Overview :
LiFePO4 (also known as Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a huge improvement over lead acid in weight, capacity and shelf life. The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. Due to the oxygen being bonded tightly to the molecule, there is no danger of the battery erupting into flames like there is with Lithium-Ion. The chemistry is so stable that LiFePO4 batteries will accept a charge from a lead-acid configured battery charger. Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer, Iron and Phosphate are abundant and cheaper to extract so costs are much more reasonable. LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years.

Lithium-Ion batteries and Lithium Polymer batteries are the most energy dense of the Lithium batteries, but they are lacking in safety. The most common type of Lithium-Ion is LiCoO2, or Lithium Cobalt Oxide. In this chemistry, the oxygen is not strongly bonded to the cobalt, so when the battery heats up, such as in rapid charging or discharging, or just heavy use, the battery can catch fire.
Sounds really good to me until I read Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion....., because a LiFePO4 battery IS a lithium ion battery. These expert sounding articles lose credibility with me when they can't even keep the terminology straight. Yet I read over and over, in multiple places, that LiFePO4 batteries are at least reasonably safe. I could draw a parallel to the safety claims of the covid shot, but that's probably not valid considering how politicized it is.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I ran across this article about automotive lithium ion batteries: Competitive technologies to high nickel Li-ion batteries – The pros and cons . It explains that the auto manufacturers' highest priority is energy density. They are currently mostly using the NCA and NMC types that have the highest specific energy rating, along with lower safety ratings. LiFePO4 is shown as high on safety while lower on specific energy. The issue I have with these charts is that the the attributes are relative to one-another, so while LiFePO4 is "safer", is it really "safe". Another question I have from this chart is why does LiFePO4 even exist when the LTO type looks superior and costs less?

battery-attributes.jpg