• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Retirement V2.0

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Last October, I tried settling into retirement #2, the V1 lasted 5 years before I found myself bored s***less and bouncing off the walls. Didn't have time to get to that state this time around because there are a number of companies circling me like white sharks around a surfer trying to get some or all of my time. Since my retirement, I've been working maybe 15-20 hours a week working for two companies, one of which is trying hard to get me full time "for a couple of months". The money would be significant. But now I've been contacted by a couple more. I wish I was 20 years younger, I'd be able to clean up. Right now, I'm pretty happy with a couple of days a week, working from home. Somehow, I managed to keep couple of a VERY expensive professional programs so I've got a pretty good setup here if I can keep the cats off the digitizing and plan table.

I'd like to think all of this professional attention is because I'm the 2nd coming but I'm afraid it's more a comment on the American talent pool. While I was with my previous company (post retirement 2), I made it no secret that I wasn't going to be there forever and they needed to find a replacement. Not sure how many people they tried over the next several years but they all lacked something big: knowledge base, work ethic, honesty, ability to work with complex software, work with people, willingness to attack very difficult projects. Some college grads lacked just basic skills, like showing up on time every day or having even a basic idea how to manage their time. No motivation. They needed babysitters and there's none available for that task in the office of a 200 person contractor. I tried teaching a couple of them but they already knew everything. None of them worked out.

So here I sit, bemused. Whatever combination of abilities, knowledge and character traits that makes my 73 year old self such an apparently valuable commodity is no longer being produced in sufficient quantities to satisfy demand. I'm pretty sure that 30+ years ago the talent pool would have been a lot deeper, leaving 73 year olds in peace. I suspect that the the shortage isn't limited to my field and location but is generalized throughout the nation. The loss of expertise, competence and drive in a nation will have long term repercussions.

In case you're wondering, my most recent job title would be mostly Project Manager for a Heavy Civil Contractor, though I did my own budgets and a bunch of other related things too. I started as a carpenters helper fresh out of the USMC in 1970 and by 1976 had a BSCE from Ga Tech.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'd say if it involves you taking pictures of really cool coins... who cares how much they want you to work?

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Last October, I tried settling into retirement #2, the V1 lasted 5 years before I found myself bored s***less and bouncing off the walls. Didn't have time to get to that state this time around because there are a number of companies circling me like white sharks around a surfer trying to get some or all of my time. Since my retirement, I've been working maybe 15-20 hours a week working for two companies, one of which is trying hard to get me full time "for a couple of months". The money would be significant. But now I've been contacted by a couple more. I wish I was 20 years younger, I'd be able to clean up. Right now, I'm pretty happy with a couple of days a week, working from home. Somehow, I managed to keep couple of a VERY expensive professional programs so I've got a pretty good setup here if I can keep the cats off the digitizing and plan table.

I'd like to think all of this professional attention is because I'm the 2nd coming but I'm afraid it's more a comment on the American talent pool. While I was with my previous company (post retirement 2), I made it no secret that I wasn't going to be there forever and they needed to find a replacement. Not sure how many people they tried over the next several years but they all lacked something big: knowledge base, work ethic, honesty, ability to work with complex software, work with people, willingness to attack very difficult projects. Some college grads lacked just basic skills, like showing up on time every day or having even a basic idea how to manage their time. No motivation. They needed babysitters and there's none available for that task in the office of a 200 person contractor. I tried teaching a couple of them but they already knew everything. None of them worked out.

So here I sit, bemused. Whatever combination of abilities, knowledge and character traits that makes my 73 year old self such an apparently valuable commodity is no longer being produced in sufficient quantities to satisfy demand. I'm pretty sure that 30+ years ago the talent pool would have been a lot deeper, leaving 73 year olds in peace. I suspect that the the shortage isn't limited to my field and location but is generalized throughout the nation. The loss of expertise, competence and drive in a nation will have long term repercussions.

In case you're wondering, my most recent job title would be mostly Project Manager for a Heavy Civil Contractor, though I did my own budgets and a bunch of other related things too. I started as a carpenters helper fresh out of the USMC in 1970 and by 1976 had a BSCE from Ga Tech.
Yeah unfortunately most college grads in particular these days just suck.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
There is an acute shortage of commercial drivers too. Nobody wants to work. They all want to stay at home and get a check. The level of efficiency and customer service in the USA has declined to Third World status.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

In Japan and China, it's been the same way for decades. The traditions, knowledge and secrets of many specialty master craftsman get taken to the grave with them with no worthy apprentices around

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
In Japan and China, it's been the same way for decades. The traditions, knowledge and secrets of many specialty master craftsman get taken to the grave with them with no worthy apprentices around
^^^^^ All of the above posts are very well said & TRUE!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah? When I retarded, within two years IBM had shut down all operations in the USA and moved out.

Apparently, the Immense Bullshit Monopoly simply could not do without my alabaster bod.

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Update, 2 weeks later:

I started back 8 work days ago and, frankly, I hate it. All of the projects that I have to pick up in the middle are freaking messes with loose ends hanging everywhere, plus I don't wanna get up at 04:30 every AM. It's day 8 and the large corporate IT department there hasn't yet managed to get me an email or computer access account despite every record, every file, every document being available only through company servers. There's no way in hell I can do my job.

I was happy as a clam at high tide working from home around 15-20 hours a week for my small clients, with a 40' commute from the bedroom to my office. I honestly have no idea how I was convinced to do this. Happily, it's only for 2 months or so.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Update, 2 weeks later:

I started back 8 work days ago and, frankly, I hate it. All of the projects that I have to pick up in the middle are freaking messes with loose ends hanging everywhere, plus I don't wanna get up at 04:30 every AM. It's day 8 and the large corporate IT department there hasn't yet managed to get me an email or computer access account despite every record, every file, every document being available only through company servers. There's no way in hell I can do my job.

I was happy as a clam at high tide working from home around 15-20 hours a week for my small clients, with a 40' commute from the bedroom to my office. I honestly have no idea how I was convinced to do this. Happily, it's only for 2 months or so.
I first read your opening line as you've been working 8 days a week.... Sounds like it might as well be.

Hang in there buddy.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Update, 2 weeks later:

You can always say the most powerful small word. NO!

Hope you are getting paid very very well.

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Update, 2 weeks later:

Sounds like this may be your last contract job.....congratulations man! I'll bet you won't make this mistake again and stay retired next time! :rotf:

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I did part time contract work for a few years after retiring from the full time job. Most of it was for somebody who I considered a friend, and my quitting put him in a tough spot because of my knowing his products so well. I felt horrible, he felt horrible, yet in hindsight I'm glad I did it, freeing up the time for things I was more interested in doing. I was getting paid well, as was the government with the self employment and income taxes at my marginal rate.

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I lay the blame of the employee shortage mostly on employers. They want someone with experience but don't want to pay. They filter candidates on a punch list (taking the easy way out) instead of finding candidates with the two most important qualifications, aptitude and desire. I am constantly fighting with HR over how we screen and process candidates.

I December, I turn 60. If I could retire now I would. I just need medical insurance to tide me over until medicare kicks in. The 401K and IRA are still plump enough to allow me to do so even with the stock market in the tank.

I am totally sick of the imbeciles in the business world. My employers' network and systems got hacked for the second time in six months. Everything I told them to fix, or tried to fix, but was told there was no money in the budget or we have other priorities were the entry points for the malfeasant actors. I spent 36+ hours straight fixing it back in December. Ruined my birthday too. I refused to work overtime this second time around. Best yet, this morning I get an email from HR that I need to take a on-line course on unconscious bias. I told them I will not participate in any activity that deems me an evil old white guy and that was a conscious decision on my part.

If I retired and got bored I'd build a hobby business of my own or go learn a new skill like the culinary arts or dig out my stained glass tools and make stained glass windows.

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I just need medical insurance to tide me over until medicare kicks in.
This is exactly what delayed my retirement until 67 was the med insurance for my lady, who's 5 years younger than I. They got you by the balls on the out of control medical costs these days

Best yet, this morning I get an email from HR that I need to take a on-line course on unconscious bias. I told them I will not participate in any activity that deems me an evil old white guy and that was a conscious decision on my part.

Same thing happened to me re: 'mandatory' diversity and inclusion training. I told them to stick their diversity classes up their collective asses (in professional terms of course). Perhaps that's why I was part of their next round layoffs which occurred last month so, it all worked out swimmingly for me!!!:2 thumbs up:

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
This is exactly what delayed my retirement until 67 was the med insurance for my lady, who's 5 years younger than I. They got you by the balls on the out of control medical costs these days
When you lose your job your car insurance don't cange, life insurnace don't change, house insurnace don't change so why does your health insurance change? We should all just be 1099 employees & pay our own everything. Don't really need anything from them but fiat checks to play a rigged game.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
You mr. tom are a better man than I.

I love to work at nothing all day.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I lay the blame of the employee shortage mostly on employers. They want someone with experience but don't want to pay. They filter candidates on a punch list (taking the easy way out) instead of finding candidates with the two most important qualifications, aptitude and desire. I am constantly fighting with HR over how we screen and process candidates.

I December, I turn 60. If I could retire now I would. I just need medical insurance to tide me over until medicare kicks in. The 401K and IRA are still plump enough to allow me to do so even with the stock market in the tank.

I am totally sick of the imbeciles in the business world. My employers' network and systems got hacked for the second time in six months. Everything I told them to fix, or tried to fix, but was told there was no money in the budget or we have other priorities were the entry points for the malfeasant actors. I spent 36+ hours straight fixing it back in December. Ruined my birthday too. I refused to work overtime this second time around. Best yet, this morning I get an email from HR that I need to take a on-line course on unconscious bias. I told them I will not participate in any activity that deems me an evil old white guy and that was a conscious decision on my part.

If I retired and got bored I'd build a hobby business of my own or go learn a new skill like the culinary arts or dig out my stained glass tools and make stained glass windows.

I think this is the problem of many young people coming into the market. I know that I was "not motivated" coming in because we could see the whole thing is full of crap. Why sell out and give everything to your employer to be treated like dirt. PASS

And we all know that all that "money" you made was also falling apart. So you worked for some stuff that all lost most of its value.

I'll work on building my own skills, at my pace, and on my time. Did I make less money, probably, but I'm waaaay Happier and have some more diverse skills now. I'll also get to enjoy watching them fall apart.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Oh I would also add this. I became a bit discouraged after working with a Post-Doc in our group. This was also like 20 years ago and a few years past the 2000 crash.

He was an American Post-Doc who was one of the best guys I'd worked with. A little quite spoken and not the most socially graceful but for the field pretty good. Very hard working, not arrogant at all and willing to always learn more, smart, just overall my idea of the best employee. Even though we were on different projects he'd still pick my brain for ideas. I'd kinda be the idea guy and he'd get it done (often just to see that my ideas were well...).

He could not get a job in the field and barely got an interview. Ended up going to work for a company he interned with after undergrad degree. That was my biggest clue to stay the fuck away.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me re: 'mandatory' diversity and inclusion training. I told them to stick their diversity classes up their collective asses (in professional terms of course). Perhaps that's why I was part of their next round layoffs which occurred last month so, it all worked out swimmingly for me!!!:2 thumbs up:
Don't hold back tell them how you really feel. Oh wait, you do that here already.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
@TomD I only retired this year on 4/29 after 70 yrs. of fun. I told my company that I would be "open" to contract work or going on the road for them. After a few weeks of doing what I want when I want, I HOPE they never call me.

I missed what I did for the first week, but after that nope. Fools, they left my email password live. I tried to tell my boss, but he did nothing. So now I log on and read department emails. After a few reads, I am glad I'm out.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
@TomD I only retired this year on 4/29 after 70 yrs. of fun. I told my company that I would be "open" to contract work or going on the road for them. After a few weeks of doing what I want when I want, I HOPE they never call me.

I missed what I did for the first week, but after that nope. Fools, they left my email password live. I tried to tell my boss, but he did nothing. So now I log on and read department emails. After a few reads, I am glad I'm out.
Are they better off with you or without you?

I asked that question once....... after I was fired......... very interesting answer. In a nutshell the guy said and I quote "no one cares anymore".

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Are they better off with you or without you?
I would like to think, "with" but we'll never know as companies always do what they do, they adjust.

However, I was "retired" 3 weeks when my boss called if I wanted to go to jobsite in Ontario. He knew I was going into eye operations and thought maybe I could squeeze it in before the operation. I said "no". Will he call again? I think so; but hopefully not for a long time.

I was the last senior designer with old school knowledge. I have product & project knowledge going back 30 years. The next guy can only go back about 5 years.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
When I was in my teens I drove a chicken truck for a guy that did chicken bbq's. His wife was a executive secretary for a big company in Toledo Ohio. They had executives & planes flying all over the world for meetings. They got a computer system to take care of it all. Young girls could not do it. Computer did not do it (with tech available at the time) but she did it all in her head. Knew who was where & would share flights to save costs. She unretired about 4 times & even then got calls at home. Funny how some people learn & adapt but no one else can figure it out. She had to save them a fortune over the years.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
When you lose your job your car insurance don't cange, life insurnace don't change, house insurnace don't change so why does your health insurance change? We should all just be 1099 employees & pay our own everything. Don't really need anything from them but fiat checks to play a rigged game.
I guess I live on the edge. No car insurance, no life insurance, no health insurance. I wonder how much I saved in the last 14 years. Also no cell phone. I must have saved at least 100 g's.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
^^ Do you go boating?