• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Revolvers less reliable than Autos?

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Lion hunters carry .22 Magnum rifles, so it must not take much to kill them. Black bears grow to 400# and Grizzlies to 800#, so even a 44 Magnum is really inadequate. I doubt you would notice the recoil or muzzle blast if a bear was charging you. The thinking of mountain men is that for close range buckshot is good bear fodder, getting a pellet in the eye channel or through the thin part of the skull on the side behind the eye. I would not want to fight one with a handgun but it's always a possibility around here. If I traveled 75 miles West of my house, I would not encounter a single paved road or year round road, to the South there is only one paved road in 200 miles. All of this country is USFS mountains.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
S&W Model 642
38 +P
My favorite coat/jacket pocket piece for fall & winter.
Internal hammer can allow fire thru pocket if need be.

642.jpg

stock image

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
S&W Model 642
38 +P

View attachment 144893
stock image
They hide easier than autos, too! These are great for belly-bands. My Airweight has external hammer so I just make a habit of using my right thumb to "de-snag" it on the way out.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
S&W Model 642
38 +P

View attachment 144893
stock image
I carry one of these in my front pocket in a Uncle Mike's holster, all day everyday doing any kind of labor, driving, shopping, etc. Never take it out because it doesn't interfere with my activities. Used to carry a .22 NAA Pug, I feel better with a .38 Special + P.

Edit: Just pulled the S&W out of my pocket and noticed the space where the hammer travels was filled with sawdust - that could pose a problem. Need to remember to check it and clean it from time to time.
38.jpg
381.jpg

Last edited:

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I have the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in both 41 Mag and 44 Special, neither is fun to shoot, but seemed like a good idea at the time...more for the two legged defense.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
S&W Model 642
38 +P

View attachment 144893
stock image
That's the first gun I bought for my daughter....with pink laser grips.....for the same reason ..compact..light...fire from purse or pocket if needed...

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
When I lived in Texas, I often had 4 or 5 Jay frames at a time, I liked them so much. Montana isn't really .38 Special country though.. Instead of Mexicans we have bears, lions and wolves.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I think the anger over the video doesnt have to do with the revolver or the semi auto...it is entirely the result of 6:32...lol

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Personally I like wheel guns but they do NOT make nice with my meathooks. Give me an auto-loader any day. Steel frames and ALL springs up to spec. I prefer acp calibers and bigger IS better. 9mm is OK for lighter carry or plinking. For serious stuff a 10mm or a .45 acp is what I feel most comfortable with.

Over the years I've had the opportunity to shoot firearms from all around the world from the 1870's to today. Both handguns and long arms. One of my favorite handguns was the Remington XP100. Mine was first year production and all stock. Chambered in .221 Fireball, an obvious name even when shot on bright, sunny days and about as accurate as an atomic clock...WOW! If I could see a pissant at 100 yards I have no doubt I could have hit it. Unfortunately the bolt handle locked on the right side of the pistol so loading and unloading was quite awkward.

Another favorite was Thompson Center Contender. Mine was chambered in .44 mag and I ran hot loads through it. What a cannon! It was also all stock I sold it after my oldest son shot it and the thumb rest on the grip ripped his palm when he shot it.

Hopefully every has had the opportunity to shoot at least Colt Woodsman. Just a tremendously fun, high quality plinker. Same for the Hi Standards and the Rugers! Sort of a favorite for family outings at the range.

Of course those John Browning marvels, the Colt 19xx .45acps and Browning High Powers and their many variations from around the world were always great fun regardless of specific caliber. I took a shine to the .38 Supers in +P. A somewhat "odd" caliber today but a top contender in pistol matches in it's day. Easy to shoot, accurate, lighter in weight and lighter in the recoil than the larger calibers. Just an all around smoother handling cartridge in large frame pistol.

My current favorite is the Smith 1066 10mm. It's stainless and a heavy pistol. I can understand why the FBI rejected it as a standard issue sidearm as it's heft would be too much to carry all day and operate/control in a shooting situation for many people. For me though it's near perfect. Plenty of stipling on the back and front straps as well as the front of the trigger guard. Ambidextrous safety which allows me to shoot right or left-handed. Notched rear sight. It's a serious machine. It is quite a weight to carry but worth it to me because it's incredibly comfortable for me to handle and operate. To be honest I much prefer it over the 1911. This goes for the caliber too. 10mm is, to me, a superior round in that it flies faster than a .45acp, is nearly equivalent in knock down power (speed:weight ratio), drops and blocks hammer when I apply the safety, magazines are still available. Well sized solid grip fits my hand very well which enhances control...almost like a well tailored suit.

A special mention for the German Walther P38. To me it's design as far operation, control and safety system was/is superior to that of the 1911 and slightly ahead of the Browning High Power. I really liked the loaded chamber indicator on the rear of the slide. Here again, the grip really fit my hand incredibly well. The German made P38s,even those made during and toward the end of the war all functioned well and quite reliably. The postwar licensed model made by Manhurin of France were functionally equivalent but the alloy frames totally altered the handling of the pistol making them much more reactive to recoil and reducing durability. The Germans were quite adept at producing high quality firearms.

Lots of folks like those Tupperware guns. L kind of like them, mostly for the weight factor. I had a Sig 2340(?) that was made to fire the S&W .40 or the Sig .357 simply by swapping out barrels. This was their first entry into tupperware frenzy of the time. The were available in 10rd. capacity civilian model and a 12rd. capacity LE model. Typical Sig spring issues, Wolff Springs are my friend! Apparently I'm incredibly sensitive to recoil yet this pistol, even with it's slightly exaggeratted recoil due to the tupperware frame, was more comfortable to me than a Glock and much more controllable than the Manhurin P38. Still thinking I should get one to replace the one I had. I liked the Sig .357, but being a necked down cartridge was a serious pain in the ... to reload and rather spendy to purchase commercially. Still a powerful and interesting cartridge that deserves some more exploration. Yes, I do like the S&W 40 cartridge quite well. It's the same same size bullet as the 10mm but in a shorter case. I would take it over a 9mm any day. The only thing I don't much care for about the S&W 40 is that to reload them you must set the charge so that the bullet compacts the charge when seating it. NO THANK YOU! Maybe it's changed over the past 2 decades and a better powder was formulated but I won't mess with schmucking down charges with the bullet...not looking to do an imitation of Daffy Duck or a guest appearance in a funeral home any time soon.

Yes, I still appreciate wheel guns and I still have to talk myself out of buying them from time to time. Yes, I AM an addict. Still, it IS better for all concerned that I stick with auto-loaders.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Hopefully every has had the opportunity to shoot at least Colt Woodsman. Just a tremendously fun, high quality plinker. Same for the Hi Standards and the Rugers! Sort of a favorite for family outings at the range.

like the 22 cal autos...all the guns in the pic are the same age as me including the woodsman match target ...and in much better condition :)
20171209_220739 (Large) redacted.jpg

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
like the 22 cal autos...the woodsman match target in the pic was born the same year as myself and in much better condition :)
What pic?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
damit ...had to resize the pic...LOL...and couldnt find the pic i wanted ...senior moment...
That’s a beautiful little collection there,Tazz.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Currently I’m without a wheel gun and though I don’t really have a need I find myself wanting this pair of Rugers that a friend of mine has offered up for sale.

68485E9B-4684-403E-AB33-83BCD2C56459.jpeg

.44 mag red hawk and a gp100 in .357.

He’s asking a G for the pair, thinking about selling some silver and offering him 8.

Courious as to y’alls opinions / what’s the most you’d pay for these pieces here?

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Currently I’m without a wheel gun and though I don’t really have a need I find myself wanting this pair of Rugers that a friend of mine has offered up for sale.

View attachment 145628

.44 mag red hawk and a gp100 in .357.

He’s asking a G for the pair, thinking about selling some silver and offering him 8.

Courious as to y’alls opinions / what’s the most you’d pay for these pieces here?
They're worth more than 800 nowadays. people have been buying up tight older Rugers and Smiths the last few years. $550 for the Redhawk and $450 for the GP100 is pretty fair.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
i agree with Hoarder.....the 44 is worth about $100 more than the GP ....prices do vary a bit by location......im saying he is spot on for used good condition retail.....if they are in good condition and depending on how he reacts to negotiating ....i would try to buy them for 900 ..and that may be offering 8 and settling on 9 ......usually most guys plan for 10% haircut and balk at 20%....but he may have 1k stuck in his mind and its a fair price ...

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Another favorite pistol of mine. It is well balanced, shoots well, but I do worry about a malfunction, so it is only a play toy.

CALICO M-950 - Copy.JPG

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Earlier S&Ws and Colts were quality and I owned several. Sold them all off in favor of the autos and didn't own another for 15 years. Then recently bought an S&W Airweight snubnose for a CCW only to sell it as quickly as I could without firing it due to quality concerns.

I did have a Smith Model 27 that I was shooting at a local range years ago. While loading it to take home I fumbled with it and dropped it about 1 foot to the wooden shooting bench, picked it up, finished loading it, put it in a rug. When I got home I decided to unload it and found I couldn't get the cylinder open. In fact nothing moved. Had to take it to a gunsmith where he found the ejector rod slightly bent enough to bind everything up. Glad I didn't need to use on the way home.
:tex::tex::tex:

I decided I don't need pretty guns, just working ones.

SC

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Another favorite pistol of mine. It is well balanced, shoots well, but I do worry about a malfunction, so it is only a play toy.

View attachment 145650
never had a issue with my 9mms ....22s have had a few usually dirty ammo after going through a handfull mags......those guns were decades ahead of their time ....the assult weapon that started the bans
calico mags.JPG

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Retail for the .44 is around $700-800. I would offer $800 for the pair, and go as high as $1K.

...And wifey just came in and said: "Don't you dare! You already have those!" :don't know::dog:

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

View attachment 145650
I would consider buying one of those if the front sight was mounted at the muzzle where it should be. I don't think I could hit much with that unnecessary short sight radius.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
never had a issue with my 9mms ....22s have had a few usually dirty ammo after going through a handfull mags......those guns were decades ahead of their time ....the assult weapon that started the bans View attachment 145655
Damn, ttazz, yer crazier than me, that's one helluva bunch of Calico Mag's.
I have the 22 LR/100 round also, but I don't shoot it very often.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Damn, ttazz, yer crazier than me, that's one helluva bunch of Calico Mag's.
I have the 22 LR/100 round also, but I don't shoot it very often.
LOL....age only makes it worse..... when they banned these years ago it just made me want them LOL....so i have carbine/pistol in 9mm...carbine/pistol/wood stock carbine in 22lr......used to shoot them a lot....the 9mms are really soft shooting guns with almost zero recoil probably due to the mag weight and location....i found they are very accurate with a good aiming device ...and found that they were a perfect match in form and fuction with a laser .....found this old inventory picture of a couple with original accessories :) 9mmToys.JPG

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I would consider buying one of those if the front sight was mounted at the muzzle where it should be. I don't think I could hit much with that unnecessary short sight radius.
You would be pleasantly surprised. :tex::robber:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
LOL....age only makes it worse..... when they banned these years ago it just made me want them LOL....so i have carbine/pistol in 9mm...carbine/pistol/wood stock carbine in 22lr......used to shoot them a lot....the 9mms are really soft shooting guns with almost zero recoil probably due to the mag weight and location....i found they are very accurate with a good aiming device ...and found that they were a perfect match in form and fuction with a laser .....found this old inventory picture of a couple with original accessories :) View attachment 145699
Can I give that 4 likes ? :blond::blond::blond::blond: