• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

riding out a cat 1/2 hurricane tonight

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
my hrcn policy - ride out cat 1 and most cat 2 direct hits, evac for higher directs. what are you guys doing tonight?

Hurricane watch issued for Texas coast as Tropical Storm Nicholas nears​

HOUSTON, Texas. (NBC) – The latest named storm of the season, Nicholas, has the attention of millions across Texas and southwest Louisiana.

The National Hurricane Center warns the system will trigger “considerable flash and urban flooding” and could reach hurricane status before landfall as concern is growing along the Texas Gulf Coast.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Ride a Cat 1 unless you are on an island. Fill your bathtubs and freeze a case of 1/2L water bottles. If electric goes out you will need candles and flashlights.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Heck a CAT 1/2 hurricane is what I get when I take a shower....

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Ride a Cat 1 unless you are on an island. Fill your bathtubs and freeze a case of 1/2L water bottles. If electric goes out you will need candles and flashlights.

i'm on galveston bay, bulkhead is already getting some love. thanks for the tips.

thing is getting stronger, gusting into the 70's now. we may get the eye passing over us

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
OH!!
<Choke!!>
Damn — that's a horrible avatar

(no disrespect intended)

BF
I was thinking the same thing all day. :p The avatar before this one was bad enough..
Be safe and stay dry EO111. If cliff is right we all be in the dark with you soon

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Grab a Yeti cooler fill it with Silver Bullets, fire up the generator, make sure you have 100 lbs of propane for cooking couple weeks of MRE's and a 40 pack of condoms (you need protection in times like this.)!

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
It's too late to buy anything now; but I'd recommend a power pack...I have a Goal Zero thousand watter, for camping/coming RV homelessness...backed up by a generator.

The power pack, lithium-ion batteries tied to an inverter, can power my fridge for 30 hours (fridge is low draw, about 120 watts unless it's in Defrost cycle). With a 600-watt charger, it can charge back up after depletion in 3-4 hours.

So that would be running my little Honda 1000-watt inverter-generator, 30 pounds...running it four hours to charge back up.

That gets you refrigeration and if needed, vital services like an LED 120-volt light, television box if the cable still works, and peripherals. If cooking is electric, you need a camp stove. One that uses propane can be safely used indoors for a short time.

Other than that, just hope the sandbag-walls hold.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
got hammered with the worst of it. fence, shingles, lost power, roof leaks, tree branches, etc. highest reported winds in my area were 90+ and got 10+ inches of rain

forecasters blew it big time. nothing they said came to be

glad to get the power back, it was only out for 7 hours

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
got hammered with the worst of it. fence, shingles, lost power, roof leaks, tree branches, etc. highest reported winds in my area were 90+

forecasters blew it big time. nothing they said came to be

glad to get the power back, it was only out for 7 hours
Hopefully everyone came through it OK down there

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Hopefully everyone came through it OK down there

it got a lot stronger than the 'experts' predicted -- but overall a routine cat 1 hurricane. we are used to it in these parts

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
The roof damage is gonna be the worst. That has to be addressed pronto, before drywall gets sodden. A tarp tacked down might hold until the peripheral rain is done and you can get supplies or a contractor to you.

Good to hear the other stuff worked. As to the power...you just never know. Long ago, in Ohio...forget the year, it was 2003 or thereabouts...out of a hot, sunny August afternoon, came an overload handled incorrectly by a distribution operator, that put five states in a complete blackout that took, in some places, a week to get restored.

All the physical damage was just one transmission line. The rest was due to overloads, data failures, firmware or computer-hardware damage.

You can never tell, how long that blackout will last.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
The roof damage is gonna be the worst. That has to be addressed pronto, before drywall gets sodden. A tarp tacked down might hold until the peripheral rain is done and you can get supplies or a contractor to you.

Good to hear the other stuff worked. As to the power...you just never know. Long ago, in Ohio...forget the year, it was 2003 or thereabouts...out of a hot, sunny August afternoon, came an overload handled incorrectly by a distribution operator, that put five states in a complete blackout that took, in some places, a week to get restored.

All the physical damage was just one transmission line. The rest was due to overloads, data failures, firmware or computer-hardware damage.

You can never tell, how long that blackout will last.

i think, hope the roof is okay. the leaks were from rain traveling sideways/up in the hurricane winds. next regular rain will tell the tale

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Glad it was an easy one to weather for ya. I used to love going to the shore in Ct when we would get a hurricane come through. Not very often and usually got downgraded because of Long Island sound I think. I always thought it was kinda cool to sit on the beach through all of it though.