• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

RIVN

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
RIVIAN
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.15.18 AM.png

Rivian is developing vehicles, software, charging solutions and services designed to help increase uptime and lower operating costs while helping businesses achieve ambitious sustainability goals.​

Rivian Ecosystem​

Simplifying electrification at scale.​

Our integrated ecosystem starts with our proprietary platform, which has been designed specifically for fleet vehicles for maximum efficiency, safety and functionality. Rivian FleetOS unifies full fleet telematics, charging, maintenance, purchasing and resale into a single platform. Our energy and charging solutions are built specifically for commercial customers’ needs. Everything is backed by our 24/7 support team including Rivian Mobile Service and our nationwide network of Rivian Service Centers. By integrating the entire fleet experience, we’re able to reduce the total cost of fleet ownership to levels unmatched in the industry.

September 2021 marked an important milestone for Rivian when the first production R1T rolled off the line in Normal, IL, to the cheers of hundreds of employees who had contributed to its launch. This week marked another milestone for us. This time, cheers filled a sunny courtyard space in downtown Venice, CA, as Rivian employees gathered to celebrate the launch of our first Hub – a physical location designed to encourage exchange with our community and for Rivian fans to gather and connect.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon owns at least 20% of the company. They owned 20% at the time of the IPO, and may have increased their stake. Those Amazon prime delivery vans? Built by Rivian. Amazon wants 100,000 of them over the next few years.
1636930071629.png

Ford had also invested in Rivian...they own about 12% of the company, but is no longer interested in continuing the partnership. They will probably sell their investment in Rivian. Maybe waiting until the day that Amazon wants to buy out the entire company?

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
That van looks comparable in cargo to a UPS van. I see a lot of glass, that must be nice. It looks like the driver is wearing a black mask (stupid!)

Amazon has recently (last couple years, I guess) been screwing people to set up "delivery companies" with really bad contracts. Is this an attempt to bring the bad pay back in house?

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.12.48 AM.png

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
They could use a pedal van in most neighborhoods. Rural not so much. Electric makes sense for these door to door deliveries given the volume.

Jodster

Always wrong
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
I’ve watched a number of Rivian YouTube reviews. It’s a very well construct vehicle.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Amazon rents the USPS trucks here on Sundays.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
0-60 in 3 seconds, 4 motors, 1 on each wheel, can raise or lower for off road ground clearance, 300-400 mile range...
$68K and up...many extras...cool truck...let the hate begin.
Sounds super cool. What would be to hate about that truck?
I looked at the fast Tesla (0-60 in 3 seconds, too) a few years back & the battery, to deliver the acceleration, was an extra $70,000
So I am still putting diesel in my old Dodge pick'em up ! :finished:

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
I’ve watched a number of Rivian YouTube reviews. It’s a very well construct vehicle.
How far can you go on a charge? Can you go across country?

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By all reports, they make a nice truck. But Rivian's valuation at this stage in their business would make Tesla blush.

Image-11-12-21-at-4.31-PM.jpeg

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2...st-us-company-by-market-value-with-no-revenue
Rivian is now biggest US company by market value with no revenue

Rivian Automotive’s shares have soared 67 percent from their initial public offering price of $78 on Wednesday.
Rivian’s rally for the third straight day vaulted its market value above Mercedes-Benz maker Daimler AG on Friday, after racing past Ford and General Motors Co’s market valuations in the previous two days [File: Bloomberg]
By Esha Dey and Thyagaraju AdinarayanBloomberg
Published On 12 Nov 2021
Add another milestone to Rivian Automotive Inc.’s blistering and surprising run as a new stock: It’s now the biggest U.S. company by market value with no revenue.
The electric-truck maker, backed by Amazon.com Inc. and Ford Motor Co., has unseated Lucid Group Inc., an electric vehicle peer with no sales to its name, at the top of the list.

Rivian’s shares have soared 67% from their initial public offering price of $78 on Wednesday. It’s just about a 25% gain away from overtaking Volkswagen AG, one of the world’s largest car producers, in market value. Meanwhile, Lucid has seen its stock price advance 339% this year. It went public via a merger with a blank-check company in July.
“(It’s) seriously mind boggling when it hasn’t even earned any discernible revenue yet,” said Michael Hewson, chief market analyst at CMC Markets, discussing Rivian’s valuation.

Electric vehicles have been attracting investor interest since mid-2020, when governments, policymakers and corporations announced plans to invest in the industry amid a growing urgency to tackle climate change. Recent strong results from industry leader Tesla Inc. and a big push from car-rental company Hertz into EVs has supercharged all stocks in the space.
Rivian’s rally for the third straight day vaulted its market value above Mercedes-Benz maker Daimler AG on Friday, after racing past Ford and General Motors Co.’s market valuations in the previous two days.

Image-11-12-21-at-4.31-PM.jpeg

Jodster

Always wrong
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
How far can you go on a charge? Can you go across country?
I believe it was 300 miles in a single charge, but there were different modes such as sport, off-road or economy.
I agree it won’t be a vehicle for across country, but then again most people have never taken that journey. For the Greenie urbanite, 300 miles is a long ways.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
An awful lot of the pickup crowd around here have a gigantic 4x4 with four doors, not a scratch on the paint, even in the bed of the truck. No mud to be seen. I think those cats could save a few bucks by having a EV, seeing as they "commute" a mile or two to work. Not, of course, including the actual working man who uses a truck for work.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I made a purchase order for the open on Monday because..... sometimes I just do shit. Mid morning today I set a trailing stop loss of $4.00. Price stayed ahead of my sell order till the finall minutes of trading. Ended up taking a 30 percent gain. I'll continue to watch this thing after the IPO mania is over. I'm sure I left some potential money on the table. But my guess is this thing will correct rather abruptly, similar to other IPO's lately. But it is hard to avoid the recent market interest in EV's.

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
The 'infrastructure bill' that Sleepy Joe signed supposedly will create a 'green infrastructure' replete with charging stations.

It remains to be seen if it will be a government program like the TVA.

Private industry (oil co) installed the gas infrastructure.

I don't think they've perfected the electric vehicle yet. They have wheels and it rolls.

The Model T did all that and it could carry a 5+ gallon can of petrol to get to the next station.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
If they had thought to put in a back up pedal system in the Model T, you could pedal it to the gas station.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
0-60 in 3 seconds, 4 motors, 1 on each wheel, can raise or lower for off road ground clearance, 300-400 mile range...
$68K and up...many extras...cool truck...let the hate begin.
just what we want zipping through our neighborhoods...might as well have that driver holding a cell phone while drinking a big gulp as they tool around town, silently, quickly and operated by a snowflake on a time schedule that says this route takes only 7 hours to complete and he's on his 9th hour, one of those hours is now unpaid

yep, i can FEEL my life getting better...no wait, i'm on the toilet

:monkey piss:

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
just what we want zipping through our neighborhoods...might as well have that driver holding a cell phone while drinking a big gulp as they tool around town, silently, quickly and operated by a snowflake on a time schedule that says this route takes only 7 hours to complete and he's on his 9th hour, one of those hours is now unpaid

yep, i can FEEL my life getting better...no wait, i'm on the toilet

:monkey piss:
You can say the same about Dodge Charger Red Eye owners, or Mustang GT or other high performance cars.

What you feel getting better is that overcooked hotdog you ate from the corner gas station that smelled funny then tasted funny, but you needed something quick, now passing through the last 4 inches of your colon...hold on, could be a doozy!

Doozy: meaning taken from the description of the automobile "Deusenberg". A very expensive car from the 1930's, owned by many movie stars and members of the Hoi-Paloi.
Also a description of passing a bad hotdog, as 1 was heard from a restroom stall upon completion of said deed..."whew, THAT was a doozy!"

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
...come here quick honey...it looks like Bezos is smiling up at us...

that's what i was going to shout out yesterday...

:green tea:

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I made a purchase order for the open on Monday because..... sometimes I just do shit. Mid morning today I set a trailing stop loss of $4.00. Price stayed ahead of my sell order till the finall minutes of trading. Ended up taking a 30 percent gain. I'll continue to watch this thing after the IPO mania is over. I'm sure I left some potential money on the table. But my guess is this thing will correct rather abruptly, similar to other IPO's lately. But it is hard to avoid the recent market interest in EV's.
Again. Sometimes I just do shit. The IPO mania seems to have settled for RIVN, I made a purchase order for the monday open. Also made an order for LCID as it seems it has fairly corrected? and a purchase of CHPT. Nothing big, $3000 each. Now I'll watch the horse race. Plan to let them run awhile, hopefully no broken legs.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Where it is today

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.31.13 PM.png

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
They make...cars...or hope to someday. People are crazy with these valuation assessments based on pie in the sky growth projections. Particularly ones based upon insane federal regime policies that punish companies that provide goods and services people actually want. Tax penalties for car builders that have the audacity to make cars that burn alleged dino fuel and incentives for car builders that build only crippled cars that plug into a wall outlet.

VW P/E ratio is 5.1

Rivian P/E? Don't make me laugh. Rivian is still projected to lose over $5 PER SHARE three years hence.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
RIVIAN
View attachment 232351

Rivian is developing vehicles, software, charging solutions and services designed to help increase uptime and lower operating costs while helping businesses achieve ambitious sustainability goals.​

Rivian Ecosystem​

Simplifying electrification at scale.​

Our integrated ecosystem starts with our proprietary platform, which has been designed specifically for fleet vehicles for maximum efficiency, safety and functionality. Rivian FleetOS unifies full fleet telematics, charging, maintenance, purchasing and resale into a single platform. Our energy and charging solutions are built specifically for commercial customers’ needs. Everything is backed by our 24/7 support team including Rivian Mobile Service and our nationwide network of Rivian Service Centers. By integrating the entire fleet experience, we’re able to reduce the total cost of fleet ownership to levels unmatched in the industry.

September 2021 marked an important milestone for Rivian when the first production R1T rolled off the line in Normal, IL, to the cheers of hundreds of employees who had contributed to its launch. This week marked another milestone for us. This time, cheers filled a sunny courtyard space in downtown Venice, CA, as Rivian employees gathered to celebrate the launch of our first Hub – a physical location designed to encourage exchange with our community and for Rivian fans to gather and connect.

I paid less for my 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bath house on 20 acres than either one of those trucks.
In 1987 I bought a brand new F150 for 12,500. Little more than 1/3rd of my annual pay. I'd have to be pulling in 180 a year to do the same with one of these trucks today.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let's imagine a bullish scenario...
Let's say Rivian actually succeeds in reaching their production target of 1 million vehicles in 2030.
And lets say they sell every one of those trucks for $80k and their net profit margin is an industry-leading 12% (currently about Tesla's net profit margin selling 1M electric vehicles/year - very different than a couple of years ago below)

That would be about $10 billion in earnings in 2030 - compared with $100B valuation currently. Less than 1% return on investment over 10 years in a bullish scenario.

Highest valuation of any company ever with negative earnings. Not hating the company, just not buying the stock. It might pop to the upside when EV tax credit passes, after that I expect it to flounder.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 9.18.11 AM.png

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
currently about Tesla's net profit margin selling 1M electric vehicles/year
Question. Is that Tesla's "profit margin" with or without the wealth transfers from the criminal federal regime...looting other car builders to hand funds over to Musk?

I mean, unless Rivian is foolish enough to build a single model equipped with gasoline, diesel, and/or hybrid power plants, then they too will theoretically "qualify" for the theft er...incentives. Wouldn't that effectively halve TSLA's slice of the booty er..."incentive"?

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
At least the design is sensible. The beauty of electric was you could move the heavy stuff to the bottom and build a roomy cabin above it. An electric motor on each wheel is the way to go. You could even have 6 or 8 wheels with full independent steering - no problem getting in a tight spot, just drive sideways. Put the battery as low as possible and you get great stability and handling.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question. Is that Tesla's "profit margin" with or without the wealth transfers from the criminal federal regime...looting other car builders to hand funds over to Musk?

I mean, unless Rivian is foolish enough to build a single model equipped with gasoline, diesel, and/or hybrid power plants, then they too will theoretically "qualify" for the theft er...incentives. Wouldn't that effectively halve TSLA's slice of the booty er..."incentive"?
Regulatory credits are about $270M out of $1.6B profit for Q3, keep declining as a portion of revenue. Tesla (and GM) currently receive no federal tax credits for vehicles. Tesla met the cap of 200,000 vehicles back in 2018. They paid back their government loan early.

Elon does not think the new EV tax credits should pass congress - Tesla doesn't need them. (though they wouldn't have gotten where they are without them). It's Detroit lobbying hard for this crap.

Interesting interview including Elon's take on federal deficit (bad things will happen), role of government, subsidies, and how bad the government is at capital allocation.
Of course, he can be called a hypocrite and their vehicles will benefit from new tax credits.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
TSLA wouldn't have received that redistributed wealth from real car companies had they built more useful vehicles either. I, for one, may actually consider buying a hybrid as a second car. Ya know, a car capable of actually transporting me across the country? A car that could reliably take me where I need to go each morning...even if the power were out.

Pure EVs are a horrible idea for single car homes, and just like most dumb ideas, the government is right there picking winners and losers by robbing some to give to others. To me Musk is just an apex level welfare whore peddling bad ideas to a bunch of easily led automatons desperate to signal their virtue.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go stack some DOGE coin...because my hero Elon told me to. lol