• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Roadside Begging Signs

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Had a guy ask for change as I was going to my car.
I told him sorry man, I'm in the same boat as you.
Good luck and God bless.

walkingnam

Reaction score
My two favorites:

1. The local newspaper followed a street beggar and saw that he went into a parking garage and drove out in a Mercedes. The investigated (??) further and somehow found out that he lived a suburb and supposedly paid taxes on his take. People still contrubuted to him. Some people don't think.

2. A fellow stopped me while I was walking to my car looking for money food. He had a small dog with him. Told his that I wouldn't give him money but if he met me at McD's I'd get him some food. Bought him a meal and one for his dog. He said that because he missed so many meals that his stomach had shrunk but could only eat one hamburger.

Thought about him and his dog often and hope that they're ok. I just help out those with an animal. Its not their fault that their owner is on hard times.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Took a guy to McD's. He was pissed I did not give him cash.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i only give money if they tell me, straight away, they're getting a beer or some liquor...

i gave the only guy who stated that as a fact, $5, i've kept the rest

i've done the food thing, done the job offer thing...what i do now is, if i've got the time, engage them, if only to see how crazy they are...it can get weird sometimes but it's all in the location i do it

most seem to mean-well but many also don't understand what that means...yikes...just go with it

it's terrible, a powerhouse country that's actually left so many behind, but take solace: It's Not Your Fault, You Didn't Do It!

...our leaders did it and they'd love it if you crippled yourself with empathy by accepting the guilt that perhaps YOU HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT, to the point, you'll no longer fight them back...

imho: we've all tasted some of lifes pains but we've been able to adjust and adapt to the point; we've never given up and i suggest, don't allow others to pull you down

that's not being cold, that's being real...these homeless aren't dying in front of us, they've got avenues of 'relief', many of those begin with sobriety

let them begin there, and as you see, that's the place where i come in...if they're honest, i'll treat them with respect and a free drink

:beer:

i'm not a part of any problem

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
No she's not. She just doesn't want to do it for the amount she'd get from the type of clientele she would attract. lol
A stiff dick has no conscious and is quite prone to lowering the bar when it comes to quality

the_shootist

Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Many "beggars" we see today are professionals and work in groups some even have more money than we do.
Yep, nice gig if you can get a hot set of corners to work

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Many "beggars" we see today are professionals and work in groups some even have more money than we do.
we used to call them Gypsys...

mostly because many of them were

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1655167315350.png

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I've àlways wondered who owns the corners.
I encountered professionals at the bus station in Hartford Connecticut years ago. Black guys targeting people with the story that they're trying to get money together to see a relative.
After the one approached me I saw the two of them gather a bit later and strongly feel that they spend a lot of time routinely pleasing.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
if volunteers can feed people in Africa for $1 a day, why can't we just lock our homeless up like a real first world country should be doing?

i'd suppose for $2 a day we could house them as well...
Poor Farms. They used to be in every county.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
i only give money if they tell me, straight away, they're getting a beer or some liquor...

i gave the only guy who stated that as a fact, $5, i've kept the rest

i've done the food thing, done the job offer thing...what i do now is, if i've got the time, engage them, if only to see how crazy they are...it can get weird sometimes but it's all in the location i do it

most seem to mean-well but many also don't understand what that means...yikes...just go with it

it's terrible, a powerhouse country that's actually left so many behind, but take solace: It's Not Your Fault, You Didn't Do It!

...our leaders did it and they'd love it if you crippled yourself with empathy by accepting the guilt that perhaps YOU HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT, to the point, you'll no longer fight them back...

imho: we've all tasted some of lifes pains but we've been able to adjust and adapt to the point; we've never given up and i suggest, don't allow others to pull you down

that's not being cold, that's being real...these homeless aren't dying in front of us, they've got avenues of 'relief', many of those begin with sobriety

let them begin there, and as you see, that's the place where i come in...if they're honest, i'll treat them with respect and a free drink

:beer:

i'm not a part of any problem
I did the homeless thing when I was in my 20's. Got tired of it, got a job and today I'm comfortable. If I can do it anyone can. I just glare at them in the eye, they leave, I guess something about me is scary...

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
When I lived in Fl for a minute I got off an exit ramp. Guy was standing there with a cup. Late 40's early 50's. I could see the despair in his eyes. Hard to explain but he wasn't a drunk or drug addict, just someone needing some help. All I had on me was 40 bucks and I put it inches cup. You could see the tears well up.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I had a down on his luck guy approach me at a rest stop and ask if I could take him & and his flat (and almost bald) tire to the next exit so he could get it filled up. Luckily I happened to have a portable air compressor with me. I asked if it was OK if I just filled his tire here. He loaded his family into the car and they all waved as he drove off. They probably still talk about it. As do I.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I'm more inclined to hand someone money than give it to a charty to skim before they give the remaining few cents to the needy.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I’m with Tazzeare, I have a bum in Vegas $10 cuz his sign said he needed money for vodka. I also bought a meal at a chipotle in Philadelphia for a homeless girl who was in there when I ordered, and she respectfully kept her distance till I was on my way out and asked if I would buy her a burrito. I did, she’d tried to tell her story and I told her it didn’t matter why it how, but I would buy her dinner because she was very respectful and polite when she asked, otherwise if I see them coming at me, like in Denver yesterday, I quicken my pace to them and ask if they can spare a dollar with my hand out…it throws them off.

On another note, the guy I was working with in Denver saw a drunk homeless guy try to stab a woman and cut someone who intervened… be careful out there!

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I encountered professionals at the bus station in Hartford Connecticut years ago. Black guys targeting people with the story that they're trying to get money together to see a relative.
After the one approached me I saw the two of them gather a bit later and strongly feel that they spend a lot of time routinely pleasing.
I was thinking more like a mafioso set up. Everybody has to pay somebody. for protection.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
When I lived in Fl for a minute I got off an exit ramp. Guy was standing there with a cup. Late 40's early 50's. I could see the despair in his eyes. Hard to explain but he wasn't a drunk or drug addict, just someone needing some help. All I had on me was 40 bucks and I put it inches cup. You could see the tears well up.
That sort of thing has happened to me. I have seen people in desperate straits (like a girl and her little brother stranded at a rest stop on a superhighway, out of gas) <-- she'd coasted in. I got her tank filled, and showed her how you start a car that had run out of gas. Got them some boogers and fries and sodas, with a $20 bill and they were on their way.

Here is why I have always been try to pay if forward: My young wife and myself were driving across the desert in my 1956 Ford. We had not see a building for fifty miles. It was 2AM as we got into the hills, when a diaphragm for the water heater broke, emptying the radiator. The engine immediately got very hot, so I had to shut it off. We coasted up to the crest of the hill and followed the curve down...

...to a service station with bright lights and salvation.

Coasted in. The owner of the place called up his mechanic to come in, and meanwhile the wife of the owner gave us some coffee. She offered to put us up at her house if it took a long time. After about an hour, they had removed the failed part, and plugged the hole to it with an oil pan plug. The guy said we wouldn't have a heater, but the car was fine.

I asked him what did I owe him.

He looked at his two, dirty hands from working on my car and said:

"Two bucks." (*snif*)

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Last week I was at a store in the rough part of Raleigh. A woman approached me and asked if she could wash my windshield. Normally I would say no but I wanted to talk to her. She washed my windshield and we chatted. She said her and her husband lived at a local motel with 5 kids. She told me she would rather earn money than just beg. We talked a while. She said the country was getting bad and that soon many others would understand the poverty her and her family lived in trying to live on minimum wage. She told she had been to prison twice for robbery because her kids needed things to live. She said when things went bad people like her understood how to survive. She told me she didn't want to hurt anyone but her kids would be feed. It was so refreshing to actually hear the truth from someone. I gave her a hug and a 20 dollar bill. For some reason I really liked the woman and thought how sad it was that she was the first person I meet in a long time who actually told the truth.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Last week I was at a store in the rough part of Raleigh. A woman approached me and asked if she could wash my windshield. Normally I would say no but I wanted to talk to her. She washed my windshield and we chatted. She said her and her husband lived at a local motel with 5 kids. She told me she would rather earn money than just beg. We talked a while. She said the country was getting bad and that soon many others would understand the poverty her and her family lived in trying to live on minimum wage. She told she had been to prison twice for robbery because her kids needed things to live. She said when things went bad people like her understood how to survive. She told me she didn't want to hurt anyone but her kids would be feed. It was so refreshing to actually hear the truth from someone. I gave her a hug and a 20 dollar bill. For some reason I really liked the woman and thought how sad it was that she was the first person I meet in a long time who actually told the truth.
I would have told her to pound sand and people like me know how to deal with thieves....RIP

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I remember as a kid my mom and step father lived in New Jersey, but worked in New York. People would run up to the car throw nasty dirty water or god knows what on your windshield and then beg for money for them to wash it. Was the most ridiculous shit.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My wife has a soft spot in her heart for these people. She told me it gets to her seeing them on the corner begging for money.

I tell her there is Catholic Charity Services in town that are specifically set up to help.

On one freeway exit we frequently use there is a guy flying his cardboard sign. I tell her, "Hey look... he's working today! Tax free!"

Same guy has had that spot for months!

Grocery stores were hiring like crazy a few months back. $18/hr to start! That's more than I made working for the school district and here this guy is... disheveled and down on his luck....

I lived in my van in the late 70's until I pulled up my bootstraps and did something different.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My wife has a soft spot in her heart for these people. She told me it gets to her seeing them on the corner begging for money.

I tell her there is Catholic Charity Services in town that are specifically set up to help.

On one freeway exit we frequently use there is a guy flying his cardboard sign. I tell her, "Hey look... he's working today! Tax free!"

Grocery stores were hiring like crazy a few months back. $18/hr to start! That's more than I made working for the school district and here this guy is... disheveled and down on his luck....

I lived in my van in the late 70's until I pulled up my bootstraps and did something different.
Any soft spot I had got hard, long ago.

Here, it's the Wally World that attracts the vermin. A big one (we have two) is right by a long, low bridge over the Clark Fork river and flood plain. That bridge is "home" for hundreds of migratory bums.

Wally World has signs everywhere: "HIRING! $17 per HOUR! Text JOBS to XXXX." And against those signs, bums are begging for muscatel money.

As an aisde...I'd like to see those Squeegee Bandits go into Billings and throw mud on a stopped car's windows, looking for payment for cleaning them. He'd quickly have holes in his person, where God never intended holes.

An armed society is a polite society. We're armed. Joizee is not armed.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

He only looks disheveled and down on his luck. He's making $50+ an hour and you're correct it's tax free.

walkingnam

Reaction score
There is a lot of need out there for help. But there also a lot of "professional" beggars milking the game.

I'm overweight and some of them make me feel slim and svelt. That's why I only give to those who have dogs with them, and even then I'm not sure of the need.

I don't mind giving $5. I've blown that many a time of either the roulette wheel or at the carps table. If I'm taken for $5 or $10 so I h elp where I can and then walk away.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
No power yesterday due to the storm. Went to town & got a burrito and took it to the park to eat it. One young kid there. Overheard him talking on the phone about getting a tattoo tomorrow. Said a little prayer for God to put the right words in my big mouth. So when he was walking around I struck up a conversation. Step father kicked him out. Fired for playing on his phone at work but he said he wasn't. So I asked him the questions to lead him inot a trap. He had no answers & tried to seem clever........ Then asked what skills he had. None but he did graduate highschool. He was 20 years old. All the typical excuses. Stayed at his sisters but her boyfriend chased him down and ran into him with his car & hurt his knee. He had smokes & a bike someone gave him because someone stole his.

So I gave him an earfull for 15 minutes about getting a trade etc...... told him life was about choices. If you make good ones life's unfair but easier than if you make bad ones. So I got up to throw my stuff away & went to the bathroom. Pulled out a $5 & when I was leaving I gave it to him. Told him I will probably never see him again. Then I told him I overheard him talking about a tattoo & I was going to give him $10 so his stupid decisions already cost him $5 & it will cost him even more over the next 50 years of his working career I challenged him. Suprisingly he looked me in the eye and thanked me for the $5 & for just talking to him. He might have been playing me but he seemed sincere. He waved to me as I drove away. I hope God got through to him through me.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
No power yesterday due to the storm. Went to town & got a burrito and took it to the park to eat it. One young kid there. Overheard him talking on the phone about getting a tattoo tomorrow. Said a little prayer for God to put the right words in my big mouth. So when he was walking around I struck up a conversation. Step father kicked him out. Fired for playing on his phone at work but he said he wasn't. So I asked him the questions to lead him inot a trap. He had no answers & tried to seem clever........ Then asked what skills he had. None but he did graduate highschool. He was 20 years old. All the typical excuses. Stayed at his sisters but her boyfriend chased him down and ran into him with his car & hurt his knee. He had smokes & a bike someone gave him because someone stole his.

So I gave him an earfull for 15 minutes about getting a trade etc...... told him life was about choices. If you make good ones life's unfair but easier than if you make bad ones. So I got up to throw my stuff away & went to the bathroom. Pulled out a $5 & when I was leaving I gave it to him. Told him I will probably never see him again. Then I told him I overheard him talking about a tattoo & I was going to give him $10 so his stupid decisions already cost him $5 & it will cost him even more over the next 50 years of his working career I challenged him. Suprisingly he looked me in the eye and thanked me for the $5 & for just talking to him. He might have been playing me but he seemed sincere. He waved to me as I drove away. I hope God got through to him through me.
Wow ugly, human interaction. Very nice.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Wow ugly, human interaction. Very nice.
Yea kinda creepy. Hope I got through to him. If not he's going to have a tough road. Cuz he's stupid more than tough.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Yea kinda creepy. Hope I got through to him. If not he's going to have a tough road. Cuz he's stupid more than tough.
If after you talked to him, he still wants to buy tattoos while being homeless...fuggettabahtit. He's lost.

I suspect mental illness. That, and lots of familiarity with the tattoo studio and the chair. It's probably comforting...

...but only for a short time. He's gonna have to snap out of it, or die.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Inevitably, he WILL end up in court...

Get a judge to tell him he's gotta join the Marines.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Inevitably, he WILL end up in court...

Get a judge to tell him he's gotta join the Marines.
I will probably never see him again. It was a total random meeting. I hope my words echo inside his head forever. I hope he turnes his life around.