• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

ROCKS!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Nice finds, Eric. I think you may have assisted me in identifying one of my WTF rocks, lemme research.

The rock with all the garnets there — prehistoric sanding block. From here I fantasied off on a caveman tale; Oog, look, maddog find pretty green rocks — make beautiful necklace for you — you be maddog wife.
Later; Oog maddog find stone with black hand of god — means maddog be priest of all clan — all bow to maddog....

sorry
heh
nice rocks
BF

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
lol, thanks!

Is the garnet the one you might have? Sometimes the crystals are black, so you know. Mine aren't gem quality (much too small to cut) but I may take one of those rocks and try to pry away the mica schist and start a small collection of individual garnets just for fun.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
You said you wanted one of these. I think you're a little twisted. Guess what it is and I'll send it if you really want it. It's oxidized now but used to be an amber to garnet color.

480F0DF8-A6F1-46B5-B5E3-6822BFAA825D.jpeg 8C7640BA-71B2-468F-BB7E-8976EDC3DE4B.jpeg

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Eric, you do know that marble is metamorphic, right? The fossils in there are part of the matrix and not separable.
And as long as you're wearing safety glasses wife unit doesn't care - she hates the thing (old - antique). :Happy:
Diamond saw would be a better idea...

BF

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
BF is right, Eric.

I would recommend using a Dreml tool. You can sorta make like a dentist and get it out whole. You likely won't get it out in one piece with a hammer and chisel.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Eric, you do know that marble is metamorphic, right? The fossils in there are part of the matrix and not separable.
And as long as you're wearing safety glasses wife unit doesn't care - she hates the thing (old - antique). :Happy:
Diamond saw would be a better idea...

BF
Didn't you notice I included beer on my list of items to extract it? Never underestimate the power of beer. :D
(yes I'm familiar with marble and how hard it is, I was baiting you so I could come back with that). lol

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It goes like this. Start task, get stuck not making progress, drink beer. Continue task. Succeed or fail spectacularly. Have another beer. It worked for me extracting an agate from my driveway. ;)

Edit: with just a pocket knife

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hey, I betcha Mikey knows where some big chunks of petrified wood are down there in Or-E-Gone.

We could talk him into guiding an expedition...

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It is because of the size. I have found many. The largest I ever found was about a half-inch long. The largest I have seen for sale at rock-hound fairs was about three inches. Here is a typical find:

So the hoopla is that the little girl found a 27-lb lobster. Not a world record, but muchly to be impressed with.

LATE EDIT ADD:

Down here in South Floriduh, my road is paved with what is called "shell rock". It comprises jillions of fossil clams. Many are whole. Would take you prolly two minutes to find a really nice, complete, bazillion year-old clam.

Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Yeah... I guess. I'm grinnin' a bit about "Maybe you could sell some of them."

You could have an 8-yard dump-truck fulla the stuff delivered, if you like. :2 thumbs up:

I think this is what they look like (too hot to go out an kick dirt around now):

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
When I was a kid in Louisville KY we would find lots of them in crushed gravel.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Unca Walt, I could be wrong but I bet those are more like brachiopods (not clams) you are finding. Cool none the less. I have a few retaining walls of mostly limestone and a few of the rocks in it are littered with brachiopod shells.

I found an interesting piece of petrified wood a couple weeks ago. Found in a gravel pile at a local farm store. I was there picking up a few straw bails and gave the owner an extra dollar so I could search the gravel pile. Was going to wait until I could get a better pic of it but it seems when the weather is nice I keep finding other things to do and today I could use a distraction so here it is.

PetrifiedWood-2018-04-29-Img_2960SS.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
True, it totally reminds me of the spot on the back shore of Peaks Island where annually people build rock sculptures...

0eea331b483bc9405c24f72b4dfa6179.jpg

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I know I entitled this thread ROCKS! but actually I posted minerals (except for the fossils). So, what's the difference? From one of my books (yeah I still got thousands, of those things):

Mineral or Rock?

Rocks are aggregates of minerals — usually several, but sometimes only one or two. Similarly, minerals are either free, uncombined native elements, or elemental compounds. Gold, silver, and copper are metallic native elements. Feldspars, pyroxenes, amphiboles, and micas are rock-forming silicates — compounds in which metallic elements combine with linked Si-O tetrahedra.

With a few notable exceptions (water*, mercury, opal), minerals are solid, inorganic elements or elemental compounds. They have definite atomic structures and chemical compositions which vary within fixed limits. Each and every quartz crystal, whether crystallized in a sandstone vein, or in volcanic lava, possesses the same chemical and physical properties.

Rocks are the essential components of our planet. They are classified into three major groups, determined by how they were formed; igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary. Rocks are aggregates of many different mineral grains, which are fused, cemented, or bound together.

Rocks and Minerals
Smithsonian Handbooks
©1992 Chris & Helen Pellant

*Yes, water is a mineral.
BF

FFA

My other stack.

I've been collecting since I was a kid so its gotten large over time. I found a lot and bought a lot. I grew up in the mountains of East Tennessee. There are a a lot of iron, lead, zinc, silver, and copper mines.

https://www.mindat.org/loc-106492.html

Attachments

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Nice collection, FFA.
Welcome to the forum.
Got any native silver or gold ore in your collection?
(kinda fits into our PM focus, I think)

BF

FFA

Nice collection, FFA.
Welcome to the forum.
Got any native silver or gold ore in your collection?
(kinda fits into our PM focus, I think)

BF
Yes. I have several pieces but these two are native silver. One is a slab and the other is dendritic wire.

Attachments

FFA

These are various oxides and other minerals that have tested for silver. These are from a area that nickle, silver, and lead was mined during the civil war. I found these.

Attachments

Last edited:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
FFA,
Nice specimens! Welcome and thanks for sharing.

In just a few weeks I will be in South Dakota searching for fossils in an ancient dried up river bed and minerals at an old mine site. Probably won't find any PMs though.

FFA

FFA,
Nice specimens! Welcome and thanks for sharing.

In just a few weeks I will be in South Dakota searching for fossils in an ancient dried up river bed and minerals at an old mine site. Probably won't find any PMs though.
Good luck. I have not been to South Dakota. I like fossils too though. I live in Ohio now and so I do look for fossils when I can. Not many iron and zinc mines where I am now.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My other stack.

I've been collecting since I was a kid so its gotten large over time. I found a lot and bought a lot. I grew up in the mountains of East Tennessee. There are a a lot of iron, lead, zinc, silver, and copper mines.

https://www.mindat.org/loc-106492.html
Welcome, I too am in the mountains of East Tennessee. Tazewell to be exact. Where youins from?

FFA

Welcome, I too am in the mountains of East Tennessee. Tazewell to be exact. Where youins from?
I'm from a town called Erwin. It's on the state line of North Carolina and Tennessee. It's not too far from you.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Pretty rocks...

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I live in Ohio now and so I do look for fossils when I can.
I also live in Ohio, not born here, NY born, I have found a few fossil rocks, howsoever, I usually look for points, (flint), anytime I'm around a tilled farm field, etc.

You might also be interested to know, if you don't already, that most of the creeks and rivers do have fine gold flakes. That's if, you know how to find it.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm from a town called Erwin. It's on the state line of North Carolina and Tennessee. It's not too far from you.
Yes I know Erwin, it's in the National Forest. Beautiful place.