• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

ROCKS!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I want to give a note of appreciation to Sir mtnman for his recent mineral contribution to the Bottom Feeder Foundation Rock Collection. You’ll be pleased to know that your contribution will go towards providing shelter for a homeless family in Haiti. We’ll also submit your name for the next opening to ambassador to somewhere or another.

My new specimen:

It's kinda hard for my old eyes to focus up close on these small pieces, one of the reasons I like the big ones.

BF

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that the mntman's specimen buffed up ???

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I'm a fossil, nobody picks me up.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

FFA

What does it cost?
anyone should post a buy-it-now price in their ads
Looks interesting, though. The ones in my wife's labs cost thousands of buckazoids.
Around 4k. It depends on what features and detector type you get. You could do elemental analysis on any mineral. I would imagine you could get a relative percentage of elements in sample. If a person was a serious prospector it would definitely be a big plus in ones tool belt.

You could also make side money with it by doing Non-Destructive Analysis for other people.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
FWIW, you can get a hand-held XRF for about $10k, then you have pay again for the libraries that you want. Precius metals, trans-lanthanides...
Anyway, With all the time I have now I thought I'd try photographing some rocks.

Scenic or banded Jasper
1550177176540.png

1550177349728.png

Canadian River Plume agate, Texas
1550177507951.png

Azurite from Sonora Mexico
1550177569131.png

Herkimer Quartz Diamond cluster, New York and photos don't do it justice.
1550177635408.png
1550177658148.png

FFA

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
With all the time I have now I thought I'd try photographing some rocks.
Nice specimens!

The software looks fairly straight forward and probably pretty straight forward and fairly painless. Anybody could probably have this running fairly quick.

http://amptek.com/products/xrs-fp2-quantitative-xrf-analysis-software/#10
I would love to run my meteorite collection through one of these! Heck, any old rock I have. It would be fascinating.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The software looks fairly straight forward and probably pretty straight forward and fairly painless. Anybody could probably have this running fairly quick
Unh, you do know that x-rays are dangerous shit, right?
Quite a few magnitude above a microwave oven leak.

Like GB said Coledge dagree needed
:inspector:
BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Pretty nice Herkimer chunk you have there, lumpy. 59 grams, right?
Right, a big 59 gram hunk of quartz.

Here are a couple of my petrified wood samples.
1555113634342.png

I really like this one, it's actually purple quartz in the matrix, hard to capture in the camera though.

Small-02.JPG

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I forgot to add one of the local rocks here from South of San Jose, CA. This is Poppy Jasper, I've been looking in the hills for some big pieces, but the best places are on private land and it's hard to get access. But little gravel size pieces are pretty easy to find along the creek. This is straight out of the ground, cleaned up with a wire brush and a couple of drops of mineral oil to see the color.
Small-03.JPG

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^a drill stone ???

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Just a quick pick of some agates I found in gravel around the yard this spring.

Oh and here's an oddity I found yesterday while digging out an area around the garden.
View attachment 129902

View attachment 129903
Hummmm, interesting.
Are you going to delve into it's origins?
Is there anything else exceptional about it other than the hole (and what looks like the start of another) in it?

BF

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^a drill stone ???
Hummmm, interesting.
Are you going to delve into it's origins?
Is there anything else exceptional about it other than the hole (and what looks like the start of another) in it?

BF
Looks to me like sandstone with a worm-tube that has eroded out. Probably was filled with softer siltstone after the worm went through.
I have found quite a few pitted stones which are completely natural caused by erosion such as pebbles in a stream getting caught circling in the pit making it larger/deeper. I lean towards this being another but unusual example.

My other thought would be a fossil impression from something softer than the host rock that eroded out. lumpOgold's thought is similar. Dumb question though, isn't sandstone usually somewhat brittle and almost never have a smooth texture? This has a smooth texture and the grains remind me of the basalt we find around here.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have found quite a few pitted stones which are completely natural caused by erosion such as pebbles in a stream getting caught circling in the pit making it larger/deeper. I lean towards this being another but unusual example.

My other thought would be a fossil impression from something softer than the host rock that eroded out. lumpOgold's thought is similar. Dumb question though, isn't sandstone usually somewhat brittle and almost never have a smooth texture? This has a smooth texture and the grains remind me of the basalt we find around here.
It could be basalt with a vesicle in it, but the staining looks like the rock might be porous, hydro-thermal water flow. If you can file off a window to see what the matrix looks like it might get you a better answer.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
How dense does it seem to be? Sandstone is pretty 'light'.
Brix might be right about it being a drill stone. We find artifacts similar to that here in washington. Is it flat, and fits nicely in your palm?

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Brix might be right about it being a drill stone. We find artifacts similar to that here in washington. Is it flat, and fits nicely in your palm?
you guys have a lot of cool geology out there. I watch this guys videos all the time. He's a geology professor out there and puts out some pretty cool videos.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It could be basalt with a vesicle in it, but the staining looks like the rock might be porous, hydro-thermal water flow. If you can file off a window to see what the matrix looks like it might get you a better answer.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider it, but hoping I can land on a good enough possibility before I alter it. If it comes down to it, I've got a 100 grit grinding wheel, sander, and even polisher. :)

It feels pretty dense to me. It is flat and fits nicely in my palm. However, most drilled stones have a cleaner bevel and are more perfectly round. That said, I have found a few artifacts in my yard and I will say as far as pitted stones go this one is a better possibility than any others I have found. Maybe I'll run it by some collectors I know and see what they think.

Artifact hunting is one hobby I have spent a lot of time on but have had very, very little success. (Worst part is when you spend half the day going from farm to farm knocking on doors to ask if you can walk their field and no one answers the door - meanwhile I can't blame anyone for not answering an unexpected knock from a stranger).

I've seen some beautiful stone artifacts from the Washington area. Many made out of agate.

you guys have a lot of cool geology out there. I watch this guys videos all the time. He's a geology professor out there and puts out some pretty cool videos.
I might have to check that out as well. Washington and Minnesota geology have some similarities.

I need to get some pics of my other pitted stones some time. I've got some neat ones, I think you guys would get a kick of them.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
^ I would bet that's natural, no offence. I have one just like it!

FieldStone-2019-04-23-Img_5490S.jpg

Interesting thing about these types, often times there is more than one pit. The one below has another pit in an odd corner that I would have a hard time naming a purpose for.
FieldStone-2019-04-23-Img_5492S.jpg

Fronts and backs of some of my pitted stones. Top 2 are from my yard both from last weekend's digging. Bottom left from a nearby farm field. Bottom right from a gravel pit.
PittedStones-2019-04-23-Img_5493S.jpg

PittedStones-2019-04-23-Img_5494S.jpg

By the way, I love these things even if they are common and worthless. :)

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
<heh> You should see if you can flog them on WorthPoint (link in my post) and make you a few shekels.

BF
lol, you might be on to something.
I bet if you looked at a gravel pit specifically for these you could find a bunch. Then make a killing on WorthPoint. :winks2: