• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

ROCKS!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I have seen hundreds of those rocks with pits/divots in them. Often, the rocks are "living" <-- that is, still part of the base rock.

Anyone that wants to find some can go to Roeliff Jannsen Kill in upstate New York. There are stones inside many of the pits, being swirled around.

This is not to say there are not actual man-made pits/divots, but you can find hundreds of them in that particular stream alone.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Crystal Skulls...

I've always wanted a crystal skull in my mineral collection but I could never find one that I could afford that appealed to me. I did finally manage to acquire one but it is not made from quartz — this one's Iron Pyrites.

Missed including a size comparison but it's about two by two inches, weighs about three pounds.

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks like the remains of a TERMINATOR skull. kewl :winks2:

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
it would look good on the front of my motorcycle.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I found this "pretty green rock", that's what the lady called it, at an estate sale today. It was really really dusty from being on a top shelf for many years. I asked her what she'd take for it and she said, "would you pay a dollar for it?" It weighs 9.5 ozs.

Attachments

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I found this "pretty green rock", that's what the lady called it, at an estate sale today. It was really really dusty from being on a top shelf for many years. I asked her what she'd take for it and she said, "would you pay a dollar for it?" It weighs 9.5 ozs.
and?

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well, Did Ya ? Pay a whole dollar or did you work her down to 50 cents ?
(Inquiring Minds want to Know)

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Easily worth a buck, MM.
Could you tell me if it has a green streak or a white streak? (you recall the 'streak' thing from the garnet, right? I don't think this one will scratch your plate, though)
Kinda looks like Olivenite.

BF

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I tried twice, now I have two scratches on my plate. These are deep too, you can feel them with your fingernail. The scratches were white. The lady told me her father was in the army and spent some time in South America during the 1980's drug wars. This may have come from there.

Last edited:

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, Did Ya ? Pay a whole dollar or did you work her down to 50 cents ?
(Inquiring Minds want to Know)
I broke down and paid the whole dollar. I was feeling generous!

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I tried twice, now I have two scratches on my plate.
What?!
Wait, is this a standard unglazed porcelain plate? Steak is a Standard Test for discovering what a mineral is.
If it streaks white, then it's not Olivenite.

P1100755.JPG

The area with a circle appears to be a crystal in the matrix. Crystal structure is another clue for identification.

Crystal Structure.jpg

The arrow is pointing to what appears to be galena, and it looks like there are several more inclusions elsewhere on the specimen. Sometimes you can narrow down what it is by what inclusion are in the sample. And one of the major clues is hardness, I always start with glass, does it scratch glass, if so, then does it scratch quartz, if so does it scratch tungsten.

BF

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
BF -- That sure looks like galena to me.

I wonder what the Nike swoosh is just under the red oval... Looks like it probably is a fossilized baby dolphin.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yes it's a standard unglazed porcelain plate and the green scratched it deep. The green also scratches glass deeply. The gray seems a little softer and it leaves a whitish residue on my plate. The gray is actually a yellowish gray color in person. The green is made up of many Hexagonal crystals.

Attachments

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
BF -- That sure looks like galena to me.

I wonder what the Nike swoosh is just under the red oval... Looks like it probably is a fossilized baby dolphin.
It's a small spot that's almost black and it's the only example on the whole rock. Looks out of place.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yes it's a standard unglazed porcelain plate and the green scratched it deep. The green also scratches glass deeply. The gray seems a little softer and it leaves a whitish residue on my plate. The gray is actually a yellowish gray color in person. The green is made up of many Hexagonal crystals.
Could this be corundum? It looks like the thing has tabular crystals. Try and see if it's triboluminescent when you strike it in the dark with your porcelain plate.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Un, yeah, that thought crossed my mind, but I remember when I thought garnet might be ruby.
That would make that a nice piece of emerald.
nevermind

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Un, yeah, that thought crossed my mind, but I remember when I thought garnet might be ruby.
That would make that a nice piece of emerald.
Wait a minute even I know corundum makes Rubies and Sapphires it does not make Emeralds which are beryl. Beryl is lower/softer on the Hardness Scale and chromium is what causes its green color. Jus' Sayin'