• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Rolex Watches As Investments

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Buying "collectable" stuff always makes me think of Beanie Babies.

And Indianapolis Pace Cars. Over at Bring-A-Trailer and Barn Finds, there keep on emerging, odd 1980s cars that eccentric wealthy buyers purchased and stored, new...because the cars would be collectable.

Such as Corvettes of the era. 1980s quality; strangled pre-electronic emissions on a small-block Chevrolet engine, and three-speed automatic transmissions. The selling price for those, at "Concourse" quality, is lower in numeric dollars than the purchase price. Museums and collectors aren't interested.

Meantime, pedestrian cars, such as (now) Jeep CJs or Chevrolet C10 short-bed pickups...off the charts in appreciation.

If anyone has a Rolex and makes money selling it...Gawd luv ya. Take it as manna from Heaven. But you can't plan such a thing; and you can sure go broke trying.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Buying "collectable" stuff always makes me think of Beanie Babies.

And Indianapolis Pace Cars. Over at Bring-A-Trailer and Barn Finds, there keep on emerging, odd 1980s cars that eccentric wealthy buyers purchased and stored, new...because the cars would be collectable.

Such as Corvettes of the era. 1980s quality; strangled pre-electronic emissions on a small-block Chevrolet engine, and three-speed automatic transmissions. The selling price for those, at "Concourse" quality, is lower in numeric dollars than the purchase price. Museums and collectors aren't interested.

Meantime, pedestrian cars, such as (now) Jeep CJs or Chevrolet C10 short-bed pickups...off the charts in appreciation.

If anyone has a Rolex and makes money selling it...Gawd luv ya. Take it as manna from Heaven. But you can't plan such a thing; and you can sure go broke trying.

Fact is that it takes a minimum of one year to make every Rolex. Fine watches are not "Beanie Babies."

Keep in mind that those who sold goods to the ultra-wealthy did just fine during the Great Depression.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Fact is that it takes a minimum of one year to make every Rolex. Fine watches are not "Beanie Babies."

Keep in mind that those who sold goods to the ultra-wealthy did just fine during the Great Depression.

Keep in mind...the dollar didn't collapse in the 1930s.

The Marxists had just come into temporary power...Roosevelt's goon-gang. The dollar was still backed by gold - That Man-Of-The-People did fark with it, devaluing the dollar, but it was not fiat.

We had a 13-year depression because of government intrusion into the economy - and the fear, a valid fear based on what had happened with devaluation and the ban on gold ownership.

Today, it's far different. We are not - yet - barred from owning gold. But the dollar has no backing and it's about to collapse.

The Elites have their money, not in assets, but in financial instruments, and in their connections to government - they're first in line in the gusher of New Money.

That all ends when the dollar crashes. Today Greg Hunter interviewed a London trader, who warns - credibly - it may well happen within six months. Already we have a building crisis.

TomD

Let's Go Branden!
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
If you remember, Billy Beer made it to $350 a six pack in 1985 or thereabouts dollars before collapsing to ya-gotta-pay-to-dump-it levels. Anyone who bought 2 six packs of Billy Beer had at LEAST one left a year later and it wasn't because anyone thought it would become a collectable. Not sure there's any point to be made from that other than, maybe, there's a sucker born every minute.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Billy Beer.

Ghastly stuff. I knew the brewery that made it...the West End Brewing Company, Utica, NY. Their prime product at the time was a sugary ureal soup called Utica Club.

Bottom-shelf stuff. Half the time it was skunky. I expect they took the batches that weren't even good enough to put into Utica Club bottles, and made it Billy Beer.

Good gravy. A ghastly era; a ghastly President; his ghastly family; and celebrated by that mule-piss. And then, as you note, the price went stratospheric for a brief time after Billy dropped dead.

charlie1023

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
If you want to be freaked out about fakes, browse here: https://www.puretimewatch.io/

I am amazed at how there are fakes of even relatively low cost or obscure brands/models.

Exclussive technology is hard to fake (like being the world's thinnest chronograph or having a hybrid movement like the Grand Seiko Spring Drive). Watches that are harder to fake might be better collectibles. Also, anything gold/rose gold will be plated instead of solid. So buying watches with solid gold (Rolex) are much easier to differentiate as fakes.

So I did some browsing and that site is unbelievable! They have everything copied on there it seems, I have a couple of older Rolex Submariners, a couple of Tudors and Tag's and basically saw all of them on there. The Breitling I have always wanted before their prices went stratospheric is also on there, I wonder how any of these "feel" compared to the real thing.....thanks for sharing

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I owned a SS Submariner for awhile. They good thing is they don't use a battery. The bad thing is you need to have the Whale Oil replaced about every two years or the time gets F'ed Up.

ds_mustang

Libertarian, Capitalist, Software guy
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I owned a SS Submariner for awhile. They good thing is they don't use a battery. The bad thing is you need to have the Whale Oil replaced about every two years or the time gets F'ed Up.
The Chinese are cloning swiss watches to the point where on some you can hardly tell the difference even when you open them and examine the movement. I guess that's what you get when you outsource your cultural legacy to Asia and automation.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The Chinese are cloning swiss watches to the point where on some you can hardly tell the difference even when you open them and examine the movement. I guess that's what you get when you outsource your cultural legacy to Asia and automation.
The only thing Chinese slaves know how to do is copy. And yes, I have seen amazing Rolex copies from China for $200.

Usc96

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Oops

They can apologize all they want, but how does a (presumably) self-respecting NY jewelry store "accidentally" sell a fake $400,000.00 Patek?

I have a couple of Rolexes. A SS Submariner my wife bought me (we like to scuba dive) and a standard model that I inherited. I use to daily wear the Submariner, but now I mostly wear an iWatch so I can check messages and keep the ringer on my phone off.

ds_mustang

Silver Miner
Reaction score
They can apologize all they want, but how does a (presumably) self-respecting NY jewelry store "accidentally" sell a fake $400,000.00 Patek?

I have a couple of Rolexes. A SS Submariner my wife bought me (we like to scuba dive) and a standard model that I inherited. I use to daily wear the Submariner, but now I mostly wear an iWatch so I can check messages and keep the ringer on my phone off.
No way the jeweler didn't know. Pateks aren't Rolexes, they are a much higher grade brand. They have visible movement through the back that is hand engraved and finished. Clones won't look remotely similar, especially not to a high end $400k Patek. A jeweler would see the difference immediately.

The argument the jeweler makes that he wouldn't risk pawning off a fake onto someone famous is just reasonable enough he knew it was his excuse if he got caught. $400k is a lot of temptation. And he probably knew the rapper enough to know he wouldn't recognize a fake and none of his friends would either. Too bad for him the guy posted a pic to the internet.

Last edited:

ds_mustang

Silver Miner
Reaction score
Niche market.

Watches are obsolete, as a need or even as a function. Cell phones have more accurate time.
Even quartz watches have been performing better than mechanical since the 70's. Caused a crisis in watch making at first. But people buying expensive swiss watches don't care about any of that. They aren't buying for any practical reasons. For them it's about walking around with the value of a high end sports car on their wrist.

Last edited:

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I like watches but haven't worn one in a couple of years.

With the trend in casual business dress and work from home, I'm not putting my money into this trend.

Also, with Chinese manufacturing, you can buy antique replicas when you are in the mood. I have some generic antiques that are inspired by old Cartier watches - they don't say Cartier so they are not fakes, just modern inspired replicas. But I rarely have occassion to wear those.

It used to be that all the young guns on Wall Street wore $10-50K watches. A few years ago, when the iWatch came out, one of our execs bucked the trend and wore a giant, $500 Garmin sports watch that gives you all sorts of biofeedback. A giant, digital watch like that makes a statement - I don't buy into your Rolex cult, and phyiscal fitness is more important to me than vanity. A lot of 20-somethings wear iWatches or generic sports-biofeedback watches that give your pulse, temperature, etc etc.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Niche market.

Watches are obsolete, as a need or even as a function. Cell phones have more accurate time.
Until the big CME or Commie EMPs. Jus' Sayin'

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
$500 Garmin sports watch that gives you all sorts of biofeedback. A giant, digital watch like that makes a statement - I don't buy into your Rolex cult, and phyiscal fitness is more important to me than vanity. A lot of 20-somethings wear iWatches or generic sports-biofeedback watches that give your pulse, temperature, etc etc.
And Garmin thanks you for all the free information about you give them that they sell to other High Tech, .Gov, and other marketers. Maybe start getting ads for your sport junkin', or try this new product for better performance,....
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Usc96

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I suspect a lot of the Rolex allure is the manufacture’s ability to control the supply chain and increase pricing annually. Go on YouTube and watch any of the many watch videos and you will see people lusting after stainless steel Rolex sports watches with the same desire as Titanic passengers viewed those last few lifeboats. Without a doubt, Rolex has mastered the art of creating artificial scarcity and demand.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I suspect a lot of the Rolex allure is the manufacture’s ability to control the supply chain and increase pricing annually. Go on YouTube and watch any of the many watch videos and you will see people lusting after stainless steel Rolex sports watches with the same desire as Titanic passengers viewed those last few lifeboats. Without a doubt, Rolex has mastered the art of creating artificial scarcity and demand.
Rolex makes about 1,000,000 watches per year. During the Covid shutdown they obviously fell behind. Since restarting they have been down 25% in production. In other words, there is a demand for 250,000 more watches than they are able to make. And every single piece is made "in house."

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
I bought a 1986 datejust at a coin shop for a G. Had to get it overhauled which cost about $500. Bought a new Rolex 18K / SS band on ebay many years ago. Looks great, runs great but I switched to an all SS Tag Heuer. I can beat the crap out of it and not be too concerned.

The Rolex watches look good and hold their value but their a bit fragile in my opinion. I have noticed a huge price increase in them over the years. Plus a Rolex is always worth cash. Highly sought after for some reason.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Rolex makes about 1,000,000 watches per year. During the Covid shutdown they obviously fell behind. Since restarting they have been down 25% in production. In other words, there is a demand for 250,000 more watches than they are able to make. And every single piece is made "in house."
Strangely enough, Rolex just issued a statement regarding the shortage.

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I don't wear it too much anymore but I still have my Explorer II. It has welding splatter stuck to the side of it, numerous small scratches and signs of wear. My daughter likes playing with it and one day she will have it handed down to her.

20210520_231742.jpg