• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Ruger SR1911 10MM

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Hey Gimli, or is it Tom Selleck?

So, 10mm as a caliber.

At one point in time, I had my eye on the Colt Delta Elite.

I was interested back in the 90s when FBI was using 10mm, and then it fell out of favor as a standard.

Thus, standardization being my concern:

Is factory ammo readily available and reasonably priced?

Is the ammo case merely a .45, or...?

Are reloading components easy to come by?

Thanks in advance!

Edit.

Some of my questions answered below:

The 10mm Auto is a powerful semi-automatic pistol cartridge first developed by American Jeff Cooper and introduced in 1983 with the Bren Ten pistol. Its design was adopted and later produced by ammunition manufacturer FFV Norma AB of Åmotfors, Sweden. Wikipedia

Bullet diameter: : C.I.P.: 10.17 mm (0.400 in); SAAMI:.4005 in (10.17 mm);
Case length: : C.I.P.: 25.20 mm (0.992 in); SAAMI:.992 in (25.2 mm);
Case capacity: 1.56 cm3 (24.1 gr H2O)
Parent case: .30 Remington
Overall length: : C.I.P.: 32.00 mm (1.260 in); SAAMI: 1.250 in (31.8 mm);
Base diameter: : C.I.P.: 10.80 mm (0.425 in); SAAMI:.425 in (10.8 mm);
Rim diameter: : C.I.P.: 10.80 mm (0.425 in); SAAMI:.425 in (10.8 mm);

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
...readily available (?) = YES
...reasonably priced (?) = Debatable. Compared to .22 , .223/5.56, 9mm ? = NO
.. reloading components (?) = Probably won't find them at Walmarts but gun and true sporting goods stores = YES

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Hey Gimli, or is it Tom Selleck?

So, 10mm as a caliber.

At one point in time, I had my eye on the Colt Delta Elite.

I was interested back in the 90s when FBI was using 10mm, and then it fell out of favor as a standard.

Thus, standardization being my concern:

Is the ammo case merely a .45, or...?

Are reloading components easy to come by?

Thanks in advance!

Edit.

Some of my questions answered below:

The 10mm Auto is a powerful semi-automatic pistol cartridge first developed by American Jeff Cooper and introduced in 1983 with the Bren Ten pistol. Its design was adopted and later produced by ammunition manufacturer FFV Norma AB of Åmotfors, Sweden. Wikipedia

Bullet diameter: : C.I.P.: 10.17 mm (0.400 in); SAAMI:.4005 in (10.17 mm);
Case length: : C.I.P.: 25.20 mm (0.992 in); SAAMI:.992 in (25.2 mm);
Case capacity: 1.56 cm3 (24.1 gr H2O)
Parent case: .30 Remington
Overall length: : C.I.P.: 32.00 mm (1.260 in); SAAMI: 1.250 in (31.8 mm);
Base diameter: : C.I.P.: 10.80 mm (0.425 in); SAAMI:.425 in (10.8 mm);
Rim diameter: : C.I.P.: 10.80 mm (0.425 in); SAAMI:.425 in (10.8 mm);
...readily available (?) = YES
...reasonably priced (?) = Debatable. Compared to .22 , .223/5.56, 9mm ? = NO
.. reloading components (?) = Probably won't find them at Walmarts but gun and true sporting goods stores = YES
Thanks Goldbrix! I was sleeping, when he asked those questions. Glad you were on it. Yeah, ammo prices on 10MM aren’t horrible, but sure aren’t cheap, are they? Still, I’ve wanted one for a long time. I just won’t be able to shoot it every time I go to the gun club. Cheapest prices I remember seeing around are on your basic Winchester white box and CCI Blazer, aluminum case for, roughly, 50c per round, maybe a little less. So, the darn thing is gonna cost ya to shoot it. The best defense loads are about $1 per round and the hot/heavy stuff, like Buffalo Bore 220 grain bear and hog loads are reaching into the $1.50 area. But, yeah, 10MM ammo is fairly easy to come by.

I’m hoping to get a little trigger time in, this morning. I’m taking the Ten, the Smith Magnum and the Smith 22 along to put a few down range through all of them. Should be fun. My friend can’t come along this morning, but we’ll be going out next week. I won’t be making any videos, though. Sorry DbD.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Oh, getting on those BB hot loads, a little bit. Guys are wanting to load up their Glocks and assorted other 10MM pistols and side carrying them out in the sticks, for protection against big bears and such. BB says their loads have been used successfully against big bears, multiple times, so far. They have a 200 & 220 grain hard cast load and a 220 mono-metal load, as well as a 200 grain FMJ load and they all scream out of a 5” barrel at about 1200 feet per second, with some of them giving just over 700 foot pounds of energy. Also, they claim three feet of penetration against large animals, with their heavy defense loads, so those bullets are going to go through bone and muscle to get to vital organs! And of course, guys are using them on feral hogs and probably other stuff.

The nice thing about the Ten is that it’s so versatile. You can download that thing with like a 135-180 grain bullet, with lighter charges and it makes a good man-stopper, or power it up with heavy bullets and higher charges and it makes a respectable bear defense gun. We don’t have anything as far as a serious bear population, here in Ohio, so I won’t be needing the big loads. But, they’re available.

There,s a dude on Ytube that had a black bear skull that he had from a 300 pound bear he had taken down, some months prior. He took the bear skull out of his freezer and put a few of those BB mono metal rounds through his Ten (I forget what he had) and the rounds all not only penetrated the skull, but went completely through all of that bone and the frozen stuff inside and out the other side. Another guy said he had done an experiment with gallon water jugs. The first test he had done, he shot through seven one gallon water jugs. So, he re-tested with fourteen water jugs! The bullet went through all of them! And it did go through all of them. That’s some serious penetration. I don’t know if he’s going to try more jugs.

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I reported your lack of videos
Now I’m in for it. I don’t have any videos on this site. If the mods get wind of that, I’m done for.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
psst, Hey Dave, Where are your videos ? Jus/ Axin'

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
So, it’s 10AM and I just got done putting about 150 rounds down Range, at 25 yards. Fifty each for the little Smith, the big Smith and the Ruger. I am rusty, plus my shoulders have been hurting like mad for awhile, so I’m not going to post target photos. I had those FBI reduced man type targets and every round went on the paper, but that’s all I can say for my performance. I was shooting high and I was shooting low, but I wasn’t dead on at all. It’s shameful, but not absolutely horrible, I guess. Honest accuracy analysis, there.

As far as the guns are concerned, the little Smith was fun to shoot, as I expected it to be, both single and double action. The only problem I had with it was, after I had put about half a dozen cylinders through it (8 rounds per cylinder), it started binding up, like the production tolerances were too tight. Something was off. Maybe the shell casings started backing out of the cylinder a bit and locked it up. I’m not sure. Yeah, now that I think more about it, it wasn’t tolerances, it was locking up. The cylinder wasn’t grinding, it was just stopping.

The big Smith 686 was joy. That is all I can say. I loved it! It was very satisfying to shoot and the single and double action was very nice. Perfect function! I’m sorry my friend didn’t like it, but I’m glad he gave it up to me.

The Ruger. Wow! I’ve never had a Ten before. Did I say wow? Holy cow, does that thing get your attention. Bam!! Actually, it reminded me a lot of 45 auto. I’ve had three 45’s over the years and it felt like 45, only snappier. Sharper and more sincere, I guess. I was shooting Sig FMJ 10MM ammo, 180 grain. Standard stuff. I don’t even know how that Buffalo Bore heavy bullet/hot load stuff would feel. I’m gonna try it!

I like all three guns. I’m glad I got them and I will enjoy owning and shooting them, going forward. I just need to figure out the problem with the little Smith M63 binding up on me. There has to be a logical reason and a reasonable fix for it. It’s a nice little gun. Very fun to shoot. That’s all for now.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
psst, Hey Dave, Where are your videos ? Jus/ Axin'
porzo

Rumor has it that right after the video was taken somebody zipped up the bag and put it into the bag owners room

Last edited:

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Watch your ammo though, some 10mm isn't any hotter than 40S&W.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Watch your ammo though, some 10mm isn't any hotter than 40S&W.
Good video! Harrel does a good job on these analysis type videos. You do need to be careful about what you’re buying. What’s the point of paying for 10MM ammo that performs like 40 cal ammo?

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Not trying to high jack the thread. I do find it interesting.
BUT
I'll stay with my 9mm and its various bullet offerings and practice stress induced accuracy which even real fight situations professionals find it hard to maintain accuracy. Shrink your Kill Zone under stress and throw more lead. IMO

Remember a .22 kills damn near anything with proper bullet placement. Water Buffalo, Bison, and Bears excluded.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Not trying to high jack the thread. I do find it interesting.
BUT
I'll stay with my 9mm and its various bullet offerings and practice stress induced accuracy which even real fight situations professionals find it hard to maintain accuracy. Shrink your Kill Zone under stress and throw more lead. IMO

Remember a .22 kills damn near anything with proper bullet placement. Water Buffalo, Bison, and Bears excluded.
I like 9MM, too. I have a lot of 9MM bullet slingers, actually. I just wanted a Ten. You probably know how that goes. You just get it in your head you want something, so you make it happen. I disagree with you on the 22 and bears. There’s a story, true story it turns out, about a Canadian Indian woman who actually killed a very large grizzly bear with an extremely well place 22 long from a single shot rifle. Either God Himself was looking out for her, or it was her lucky day.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I like 9MM, too. I have a lot of 9MM bullet slingers, actually. I just wanted a Ten. You probably know how that goes. You just get it in your head you want something, so you make it happen. I disagree with you on the 22 and bears. There’s a story, true story it turns out, about a Canadian Indian woman who actually killed a very large grizzly bear with an extremely well place 22 long from a single shot rifle. Either God Himself was looking out for her, or it was her lucky day.
OK, I'll scratch Bears off the list.
:hunt:

P51

I have a couple 10's, the Ruger SR1911, and the Springfield XDm 4.5". Each has maybe 100-150 rounds, so maybe not really 'broken in'.
The Ruger, when new, had a number of jams, some stovepipes, some failure to return to battery, etc. They must use some super stiff springs.
It started to function much better after about the first 75 rounds (Rem 180gr FMJ). Nice, accurate gun. It still doesn't quite want to function 100%, but I imagine a couple hundred rounds would take care of that.
The XDm has been perfect since round 1. It has had 3 different ammo brand/types fed to it, all without hiccups.
Myself, and the people who I have shot with, shoot both with about the same level of accuracy, which is interesting, as the XDm trigger is
quite a bit heavier then the SR1911. Recoil on the XDm seems just a touch lighter, shooting the same loads. Perhaps that polymer frame
is soaking up some of it?
I have, but have not yet shot any, of Underwood 200 and 220 hard cast loads. Where I hunt, we often see bear sign, and the rare sighting, so
I just feel safer with one or the other on my hip. Call it insurance.
The Ruger is a heavy pistol to pack around all day, so I thought I would get the XDm, thinking it might be a bit lighter.
With both fully loaded, they weigh about the same, but the XDm is 15+1 over the Rugers 8+1.
I only carry the XDm now, since it has been 100% since day1, but the Ruger is still a fun pistol to shoot at the range.
I'm not a Glock fan, but hear plenty of good things about them in 10mm.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I have a couple 10's, the Ruger SR1911, and the Springfield XDm 4.5". Each has maybe 100-150 rounds, so maybe not really 'broken in'.
The Ruger, when new, had a number of jams, some stovepipes, some failure to return to battery, etc. They must use some super stiff springs.
It started to function much better after about the first 75 rounds (Rem 180gr FMJ). Nice, accurate gun. It still doesn't quite want to function 100%, but I imagine a couple hundred rounds would take care of that.
The XDm has been perfect since round 1. It has had 3 different ammo brand/types fed to it, all without hiccups.
Myself, and the people who I have shot with, shoot both with about the same level of accuracy, which is interesting, as the XDm trigger is
quite a bit heavier then the SR1911. Recoil on the XDm seems just a touch lighter, shooting the same loads. Perhaps that polymer frame
is soaking up some of it?
I have, but have not yet shot any, of Underwood 200 and 220 hard cast loads. Where I hunt, we often see bear sign, and the rare sighting, so
I just feel safer with one or the other on my hip. Call it insurance.
The Ruger is a heavy pistol to pack around all day, so I thought I would get the XDm, thinking it might be a bit lighter.
With both fully loaded, they weigh about the same, but the XDm is 15+1 over the Rugers 8+1.
I only carry the XDm now, since it has been 100% since day1, but the Ruger is still a fun pistol to shoot at the range.
I'm not a Glock fan, but hear plenty of good things about them in 10mm.
Well, P51, you’ve been around here for a couple of months, but I haven't run unto you before now, so welcome to the forum. The Ruger SR1911 is my first Ten, as you might have read, already, in this thread. I have a feeling it won’t be my last, to be quite honest with you. I like it! I had no problems at all with mine, yesterday, when I shot it, but I only put a box (50rounds) of Sig ammo through it and it ran beautifully. The stuff I was using was Sig 180gr FMJ, with a stated muzzle velocity of 1250 f/sec and 624 ft-pounds of energy. It was stout! Very stout, so maybe that’s why it cycled so well in the Ruger. It could be they’re building those things to run best with the heavy loads, just guessing.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
2 popular calibers that I've chosen not to have is .40SW and 10mm. Just never longed for a firearm chambered in those calibers.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
2 popular calibers that I've chosen not to have is .40SW and 10mm. Just never longed for a firearm chambered in those calibers.
I had a Glock 27, once and only for a little while. I didn’t like it, so I sold it off pretty quick. That’s the only 40 I have ever had.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I had a Glock 27, once and only for a little while. I didn’t like it, so I sold it off pretty quick. That’s the only 40 I have ever had.
Most of my pistolas are chambered in 9mm but I have pistols in .45acp, 44 magnum, .38spl, .380acp, along with a few others.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Most of my pistolas are chambered in 9mm but I have pistols in .45acp, 44 magnum, .38spl, .380acp, along with a few others.
I have nines, 38/357’s, 380’s and 22’s, a lot of 22’s. I like shooting nine, but there’s really something about 22. They’re so much fun, if ya get a few that run through the ammo pretty good and are accurate. One of my favorite 22’s is a Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22. That thing is a blast. If you don’t have one and have an extra $400 laying around, I highly recommend getting one, or one like it.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have nines, 38/357’s, 380’s and 22’s, a lot of 22’s. I like shooting nine, but there’s really something about 22. They’re so much fun, if ya get a few that run through the ammo pretty good and are accurate. One of my favorite 22’s is a Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22. That thing is a blast. If you don’t have one and have an extra $400 laying around, I highly recommend getting one, or one like it.
Believe it or not, while I have a few rifles chambered in .22, I don't have a .22 pistola....I'll check out the M&P. Thanks!!!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Believe it or not, while I have a few rifles chambered in .22, I don't have a .22 pistola....I'll check out the M&P. Thanks!!!
Oh, no 22 pistols. My most heartfelt sympathies, brother Shootist. If I might make a couple of recommendations, the old Ruger Mark series of autos are fantastic! Reliable, accurate and durable as a Sherman Tank. Also, the newer Browning 1911-22 pistols are cool as hell and my two are very reliable and accurate. I can’t speak to durability, yet, but I’m expecting a long life out of both. I have the one with the standard length slide and one of the compacts, with the commanderized slide length. They’re super light, too and about 85% of standard 1911 size.
89B3A1AA-EFF4-4B19-9697-3DDB3C9D268B.jpeg
AED29239-529F-4D75-BC82-E916C5C127BD.jpeg

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Oh, no 22 pistols. My most heartfelt sympathies, brother Shootist. If I might make a couple of recommendations, the old Ruger Mark series of autos are fantastic! Reliable, accurate and durable as a Sherman Tank. Also, the newer Browning 1911-22 pistols are cool as hell and my two are very reliable and accurate. I can’t speak to durability, yet, but I’m expecting a long life out of both. I have the one with the standard length slide and one of the compacts, with the commanderized slide length. They’re super light, too and about 85% of standard 1911 size. View attachment 140988
That top 1911 looks just like my USGI Remington Rand pistol I have from 1944! I did think at one time about getting a 1911 Commander version but just never got round to it.

P51

The Rem 180Gr load is supposed to run around 1150 fps, but I have not chronoed it, so cannot confirm. Have also shot some
Fiocchi 180 gr HP loads, and those seemed a bit hotter. It seems everything Fiocchi loads is up there, at least in my experience.
Have also shot the lower pressure Federal load. It seemed lighter, but was pretty accurate.
When the Glock 20 first came out, a lot were sold to people who hunt in brown bear and grizzly country.
I figured if it was good enough for that, then it would be perfect for black bear as well.
My only real complaint with the Ruger, is the full length guide rod does make disassembly/reassembly a little trickier.
I love the grip, as well as the single action trigger. Going to have to test out those Underwood loads soon :)

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
The Rem 180Gr load is supposed to run around 1150 fps, but I have not chronoed it, so cannot confirm. Have also shot some
Fiocchi 180 gr HP loads, and those seemed a bit hotter. It seems everything Fiocchi loads is up there, at least in my experience.
Have also shot the lower pressure Federal load. It seemed lighter, but was pretty accurate.
When the Glock 20 first came out, a lot were sold to people who hunt in brown bear and grizzly country.
I figured if it was good enough for that, then it would be perfect for black bear as well.
My only real complaint with the Ruger, is the full length guide rod does make disassembly/reassembly a little trickier.
I love the grip, as well as the single action trigger. Going to have to test out those Underwood loads soon :)
Yeah, that little trick with the pin is a PITA, but I’m willing to live with that if the gun works good for me, as it has on it’s first test outing. It was kind of exhuberating to shoot it. “Bracing,” If you will. I liked it, a lot. Not like 45 for me. I’ve had three 45’s and never really disliked them, but never really got that feeling of deep affection, like I have for my Hi-Powers and some other guns I own. It’s all a personal thing, isn’t it?

P51

Indeed it is.
And yes, that pin thing is a PITA.
I never received mine in the package, so customized a paper clip, sort of.
It works, but I MUCH prefer the standard barrel bushing of a standard .45.
I guess the 10mm power requires that trade off.
The XDm, how ever, breaks down the same as any other XDm/XD, which means easy.
Both are fine pistols, especially for woods use.
I might need to score some SIG ammo for testing, when my wallet is a little fuller.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
In 2009, I concluded that .40 was a standard, readily available caliber, mostly due to LEO adoption, and I have no regrets.

I obtained a SIG P226, which has proven to be the finest handgun I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

But maybe that is just me.

I really like the 9mm and the .45, but the .40 is my go to.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I just watched a Ytube video; Gun Guys Ep. 8, with Ken Hackathorne and Bill Wilson, two quintessential “45 auto gun guys,” talk about how they have both drifted away from carrying the 45 auto to 1911’s chambered in nine millimeter. These are 45 auto guys, but they’re both saying that with the changes in 9MM ammo quality and performance and their personal ability to put more rounds through their guns, on target, faster than 45, they think the nine is a better carry option. I like nine, but this floored me. It’s as surprising as it would be hearing Barack Obama saying in an interview that he’s decided to join the NRA.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
It’s as surprising as it would be hearing Barack Obama saying in an interview that he’s decided to join the NRA.
Made me spit my breakfast on that SoG.
:rotf:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Ok, here's a vid that's a very interesting comparison of pistol calibers, and their respective stopping power.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
In 2009, I concluded that .40 was a standard, readily available caliber, mostly due to LEO adoption, and I have no regrets.

I obtained a SIG P226, which has proven to be the finest handgun I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

But maybe that is just me.

I really like the 9mm and the .45, but the .40 is my go to.
Can't beat a SIG for quality and reliability!