• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Sales tax and Ebay...

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a set of rules for when you get charged sales tax, any luck arguing with sellers who charge you, or should I just leave neutral or neg feedback if the seller doesn't mention it till after you win ?

savvydon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a set of rules for when you get charged sales tax, any luck arguing with sellers who charge you, or should I just leave neutral or neg feedback if the seller doesn't mention it till after you win ?
The seller doesn't have a clue about you being charged sales tax, at least the ones I know. That is totally ebay driven and the info is not shared with the seller, as far as I know. The seller is no more aware of the sales tax hit than the buyer is before they are hit with it. Maybe it is more appropriate to leave the negative feedback with ebay instead of the poor schmuck, er seller.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
everything i purchase, on ebay, is taxed

i've not tried to buy raw / unprocessed food from ebay, that's not taxable here in Ca

and as savvydon points out, it's ebay who decides who will be taxed based upon their research, etc...the seller knows nothing and controls zero aspect of the sales-tax-collection-game

Neg FB would solve nothing, only cause harm...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
TRUE that

the Internet was Tax Free and was a great source for the average consumer and plenty of the States have ruined that experience simply through their own greed

:summer:

i've wondered what the expense for ebay was to start that 'department' to gather the data, and formulate the solution

and the only way they had to recover that expense was to raise fees or cut their 20% coupons to 10% coupons now to 5%...and sellers do pay more now

ain't technology great?

but it's the greedy politicians who force this onto us in the first place...they need to control their spending, but they haven't so, it's only going to get worse

better get used to it

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
the Internet was Tax Free and was a great source for the average consumer
technically false. The internet was never tax free. In practice, companies without an address in your state would not charge tax, but you were always technically required to self report it and pay the sales tax in your state— just nobody ever did. Then states started suing and the feds started talking about a federal sales tax and companies started collecting for the states instead.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The seller doesn't have a clue about you being charged sales tax, at least the ones I know. That is totally ebay driven and the info is not shared with the seller, as far as I know. The seller is no more aware of the sales tax hit than the buyer is before they are hit with it. Maybe it is more appropriate to leave the negative feedback with ebay instead of the poor schmuck, er seller.
Thanks, I won't leave bad feedback then.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fatrat, in which state do you live?
Florida, some things get taxed, same Exact item from different seller won't be.

savvydon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Florida, some things get taxed, same Exact item from different seller won't be.
I wonder if this has to do with the category that the item is placed in? I would appreciate any information/feedback you can provide, as ebay is completely opaque on this.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I agree with savvydon, check the categories.

This may be the case:
Capture.JPG

Ebay is notorious for treating the Bullion sub-category differently from the rest of the coins & currency category.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
1626955908754.png

I ran into something like that in Delft. Bought a dish, and because of the crazy tax laws, if I also bought a bud vase, the total would amount to the same if I had bought only the dish.

It is reprised above. If you buy PM's and spend $499, you will have to pay $30 tax = $529. Sooo... if you add ONE ounce of silver to your buy, you get it free, plus about $5.00 back from the original bill of $529.

True dat. Happens.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
technically false. The internet was never tax free. In practice, companies without an address in your state would not charge tax, but you were always technically required to self report it and pay the sales tax in your state— just nobody ever did. Then states started suing and the feds started talking about a federal sales tax and companies started collecting for the states instead.
in the beginning

there were zero laws regarding the internet and the sales it ultimately created, and as it was, most of my purchases were from out-of-state and my state had no laws requiring me to pay a sales tax on merchandise i bought from out of state, once it was mine, there was no import costs to bring it home, so i had it shipped in to me

that's the thing, if we begin to believe it was all controlled from the git-go, they'll feel free to do anything else they want to do, under the banner Bow and Repent

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I will explain one way to get around it. I just did this and was pretty happy.

When you purchase on eBay, find a local seller where you can buy in person.

eBay requires a ship-to address. Pick some random address in Oregon or some other no-tax state and then pick it up in person.

If you had good communication with the buyer, you could ask them by message to ship your address to your real address although that could be tricky if they end up sending your PMs to the no-tax address.

bb

Trufact

Reaction score
All US legal tender coins are exempt from sales tax in Florida as per state law:
Florida Sales Tax Rules
12A-1.0371 Sales of Coins, Currency, or Bullion
(1)(a) The sale, use, consumption, or storage for use in this state of any coin or currency, whether in circulation or not, is subject to tax unless:
1. The coin or currency is legal tender of the United States; or
2. The coin or currency is legal tender of a country other than the United States, and the coin or currency is sold at its face value.
(b) For purposes of this rule, "legal tender" means coins or currency that, at the time of the sale transaction, a creditor would be required to accept in payment of a debt.
Contact the Florida Dept. of Revenues "Tax Violation" hotline at 800-352-9273 for further assistance.