• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Scientists figure out how to make ‘gold’ from cheap copper

Reason

I ran across this article earlier - funny how it's fuzzy on the details. What do you think?
https://nypost.com/2018/12/28/scientists-figure-out-how-to-make-gold-from-cheap-copper/

Scientists in China have learned how to turn cheap copper into “gold” — and it could have a significant impact on the price of precious metals.

The Chinese research team managed to turn cheap copper metal into a new material almost identical in composition to gold using jets of hot, electronically charged argon gas.

The fast-moving ionized particles blasted copper atoms off a target metal sheet.

As the atoms cooled down and condensed, a thin layer of “sand” began to form on the surface of a collecting device.

Scientists noted that each grain of sand was only a few nanometers in diameter — around 1/1000th the size of a bacterium.

After putting this sandy material into a reaction chamber, it was used to turn coal into alcohol.

During the process, the copper nanoparticles that made up the sandy substance acted in the same way a precious metal would behave, with scientists hailing the process as a success.

“The copper nanoparticles achieved catalytic performance extremely similar to that of gold or silver,” scientists behind the project said in a statement.

“The results … proved that after processing, metal copper can transform from ‘chicken’ to ‘phoenix.'”

The astounding discovery was made by a team of scientists from the Institute of Chemical Physics at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Liaoning as they tried to find a “gold replacement.” Their findings were published in Science Advances.

However, before rushing out to turn your own coppers into little nuggets of gold, it’s worth noting that this new material created in the Chinese labs is still essentially copper.

It will, however, be beneficial to the world of manufacturing as the new material has been found to resist high temperatures, oxidization and erosion.

Professor Sun Jian described his team’s findings as “Like a warrior with golden armor in a battlefield, capable of withstanding any enemy assault.”

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
It's B.S.

Gold can only be produced one atom at a time.

It costs millions of dollars worth of energy and resources to produce a few atoms of gold.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Reason

Sorry I overlooked that existing post!

Yeah it's BS - Just more amusing than anything else. But if there is any chance of this being of some significance is if this 'discovery' does reduce the use of precious metals in manufacturing (as the original article claims).

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I just turned a wheat penny into gold with krylon.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I just turned a wheat penny into gold with krylon.
Good thinking BigJim, this is gonna be fun! By the end of the week I'll have turned my whole life into gold.
1546059760934.png