• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Sears is sued over 'Craftsman' brand

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Sears is sued over 'Craftsman' brand

Jonathan Stempel
2 Min Read

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sears is back into court, less than one month after emerging from bankruptcy protection.

Craftsman brand products are shown for sale inside a Sears department store in La Jolla, California, U.S., March 22, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Blake
The retailer was sued on Wednesday by Stanley Black & Decker Inc, which accused it of breach of contract and trademark infringement over its new line of professional-grade mechanics tools under the Craftsman Ultimate Collection brand.

Sears did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The complaint was filed in Manhattan federal court.

Craftsman had been an iconic Sears brand before Stanley paid about $900 million for it in March 2017, while giving Sears what it called a “limited” license to sell some Craftsman products.

But according to the complaint, Sears breached the license agreement by launching its new tool line and touting its stores as “the real home of the broadest assortment of Craftsman.”

Stanley said the tagline falsely implies that other Craftsman products are “somehow illegitimate.”

It also said Sears’ actions threaten to confuse shoppers and irreparably harm Stanley’s own Craftsman brand and trademarks, as well as its goodwill and customer relationships.

Stocks sink for a 3rd day
Sears emerged from Chapter 11 in February after longtime Chairman Edward Lampert, who oversaw its years-long descent into bankruptcy, won court approval for a $5.2 billion takeover, which included the Craftsman licensing rights.

The reorganized company was expected to have about 425 Sears and Kmart stores, down from roughly 3,500 when those companies merged in 2005. Sears brands also include DieHard and Kenmore.

The case is Stanley Black & Decker Inc v Transform Holdco LLC, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 19-02081.

Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Richard Chang
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...gn=Feed:+reuters/businessNews+(Business+News)

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Sears* should have already put itself out of its misery. Only thing I can figure is that the idiot in charge is a glutton for punishment.

* I say Sears, but we really should call it Kmart, because that's what it actually is. Kmart bought Sears, not the other way around. So it's their mgt that has, for the most part, driven Sears into the ground.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Yikes

selling refrigerators to eskimoes requires, either the polar bears get their cut, or, it doesn't happen, is quite the Alaskan thing to do

and you're their bitch when you evade BK

AFTER

selling 'your brand'

GL

mail marketing with a huge physical catalogue
that worked in the past...

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Both Ace Hardware and Lowes now sell Craftsman brand tools.

How long before Wally-Mart gets in the picture.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Sears* should have already put itself out of its misery. Only thing I can figure is that the idiot in charge is a glutton for punishment.

* I say Sears, but we really should call it Kmart, because that's what it actually is. Kmart bought Sears, not the other way around. So it's their mgt that has, for the most part, driven Sears into the ground.
If true, then that would explain the Craftsman tug-o-war.

Kmart sucks!

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
How ironic the "King of Catalog Shopping" could not figure out how to use the internet for customers to shop. Amazon should never have survived a SEARSnet. IMHO

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Don’t know if this is still policy , used to take any craftsman tool , if it was broke , take it back to sears and they would replace it free of charge...

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Don’t know if this is still policy , used to take any craftsman tool , if it was broke , take it back to sears and they would replace it free of charge...
Not anymore. Now they just laugh at you.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
This could be a good time for another tool company to step up and get some market share....

Snap-On comes to mind.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This could be a good time for another tool company to step up and get some market share....

Snap-On comes to mind.
Harbor Freight.

Hand Tools Warranty
Hand tools sold by Harbor Freight are guaranteed to be “free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product”. This warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the product. Harbor Freight will replace any broken hand tools with the same item, if the same item is no longer available they will replace it with the most similar item available. If you need to take advantage of this warranty all you have to do is bring the broken tool into any Harbor Freight store.

Kobalt covers the following hand tools for life with a "Lifetime Hassle Free Guarantee"

Sockets, Ratchets and Wrenches

Hammers and Pry bars

Utility Knives

Chisels & Files

Pliers & Wrenches

Levels

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You could find a Craftsman wrench that had been run over a freight train and it would be replaced. Unconditional lifetime warranty. Take it to the bank, no receipts, no nothing, busted hand tool with a Craftsman name and you get a new one, period.

I've got a bunch of handtools with the Craftsman name in my shop and honestly can't remember ever working one to failure. Maybe a 1/2" open end once that I was beating with a hammer trying to break something loose.

The demise of Craftsman has been in parallel with the demise of the America that I grew up with before it was transformed into this nightmare.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
...Kobalt covers the following hand tools for life with a "Lifetime Hassle Free Guarantee"
JS Products makes most of the hand tools (except screwdrivers) for kobalt after Lowes switched from Danaher. JS Products also markets its own tools as Steelman.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My brother in an aircraft mechanic. He bought all his tools and rolling boxes from Craftsman due to that simple reason.
Since then I believe other top level top manufacturers now make the same offer.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
I remember as a much younger man first getting out on my own, getting a set of Craftsman wrenches and socket sets and power tools to do all the stuff I wanted to do. Did a lot, and still have them forty years or so later. Good stuff back then, not so much now.

R.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
How ironic the "King of Catalog Shopping" could not figure out how to use the internet for customers to shop. Amazon should never have survived a SEARSnet. IMHO

GOLDBRIX: That floored me, too. I dunno what they did with Roebuck, but he must've been the thinking end of the company.

We fargin LIVED through the Sears, Roebuck &Co. catalog. All our neighbors, too. Here's why:

You didn't just go hop in a car and drive to a giant store to wander the aisles to see if they had what you needed on a shelf. Today, OK. But in the 40's,50's and 60's, you looked through the catalog to find the size, price, and anything else you needed to meet your needs.

There wasn't a giant store every two miles. Our nearest large chain store was 38 miles and a dollar toll (Kingston bridge) away.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sears & Roebuck, SPEIGELS, MONTGOMERY WARDS ...
When I was a kid they sold rifles, shotguns, and pistols along with clothing and household goods.
AND Firearms were mailed to your house.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I bought a six-dollar .22 revolver from a Popular Mechanics ad.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I bought a six-dollar .22 revolver from a Popular Mechanics ad.
I remember ads in the comic books selling G.I. Surplus Jeeps as kits ( Assembly Required).:reading::truck2:

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I grew up on a farm, and my grandfather and father had a lot of Craftsman tools. They were the top shelf tools back in the day. To this day, I still have a lot of those old tools. I have a very old socket set and a lot of wrenches that, to this day, are still better than most anything I could buy today. Craftsman went to shit somewhere along the way...hard to point to exactly where.

Stanley Black & Decker is where brands go to die. What they did to Porter Cable was a shame.
I have a Porter Cable cordless set (20v Lithium) that has been serving me very well for a few years now...

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Harbor Freight.

Hand Tools Warranty
Hand tools sold by Harbor Freight are guaranteed to be “free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product”. This warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the product. Harbor Freight will replace any broken hand tools with the same item, if the same item is no longer available they will replace it with the most similar item available. If you need to take advantage of this warranty all you have to do is bring the broken tool into any Harbor Freight store.
Is Harbor Freight that good? I might be way off base, but I thought they were kind of like some cheap discount outlet store, carrying a bunch of the rejects that nobody wants. Not quite sure why I think that, though...

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Is Harbor Freight that good? I might be way off base, but I thought they were kind of like some cheap discount outlet store, carrying a bunch of the rejects that nobody wants. Not quite sure why I think that, though...
In some ways, yes. Most of Harbor Freight (HF) socket sets and wrenches are made by Taiwanese manufacturers who are contracted by some of the better known tool brands. The quality is up there but you have to know how to cherry pick Harbor Freight's goods. There are actually some youtube videos of guys comparing HF stuff to premium brands and the results are surprising. One was a comparison of breaker bars and the $20 Harbor Freight held its own against the $100 plus premium brands and only missing out by a hair but when you compared the price paid you could not quibble. That said, yes, some of HF's stuff is plain junk or disposable and other stuff is a downright bargain.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I made a living with Craftsman tools 40 years ago. They were very good tools and boxes back then and I still have a lot of them. I don't remember ever going to Sears and getting broken ones replaced. Who the hell wants to go to a mall anyway? Nowadays they are appropriate for Kmart.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling