• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Second midlife crises = WRX

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yes I am admittedly a fool.

My friend bought a Subaru last week and Needed me to take him 180 miles to the dealership to pick it up. Once there, he had to deal with the typical car buying headache and I went prowling around the lot while I enjoyed telling the salesmen I was only there to pick up a friends car.

"Jesus" I thought as my friends paperwork and BS proceeded at a snails pace. I'd always heard the WRX was quick and fun, so I decided to test drive one to alleviate my boredom. We took it out and the throttle response was simply amazing. I've had an LT1 TA and a Camaro in the past but neither could hold a candle to this little buggy. The salesman directed me to some "S" turns to try the cornering out. Pffft... What I didn't realize in those corners is that I could have hit them at twice the speed. Yeah, I bought it.

Now that I have the thing home, I've put it through some paces. Near my home there is a 90 degree corner paved with cement. I can hit that corner so hard it makes my head swim. NO! I mean literally, the G's are so heavy it makes my head swim and the tires don't even chirp. It isn't like me to to impulse buy, but man this thing is fun. No buyers remorse so I guess it was meant to be.

Flame away.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Aught to try a tricked out 911-S

Know a guy that went up Ute Pass west of Manitou Springs, Colorado in one. 45mph is speed limit.

He did it at 120mph...

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
One HELLOFA Impulse Buy "EOA". :bomb 1: :shit happens: :green tea:

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
My last round of cars were Eclipses which were the forerunners to the WRX. They weren't the fastest cars on the road, but the driving fun was unbelievable. My insurance costs were outrageous and there were the many speeding tickets. My Mercedes is much more dignified and lower total costs, but I often remember my hill racing days when I see a Subaru or older turbo DSM.

bb

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
WRX or WRX STI and which gearbox?

Locally we get them in two flavors with the STI slightly up on power (197 vs 221 kW) or 264 - 294 Hp.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Hystckndle

CONFORMADAPTKICKSOMEASS!!!
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

My friend bought a Subaru last week and Needed me to take him 180 miles to the dealership to pick it up. Once there, he had to deal with the typical car buying headache and I went prowling around the lot while I enjoyed telling the salesmen I was only there to pick up a friends car.

"Jesus" I thought as my friends paperwork and BS proceeded at a snails pace. I'd always heard the WRX was quick and fun, so I decided to test drive one to alleviate my boredom. We took it out and the throttle response was simply amazing. I've had an LT1 TA and a Camaro in the past but neither could hold a candle to this little buggy. The salesman directed me to some "S" turns to try the cornering out. Pffft... What I didn't realize in those corners is that I could have hit them at twice the speed. Yeah, I bought it.

Now that I have the thing home, I've put it through some paces. Near my home there is a 90 degree corner paved with cement. I can hit that corner so hard it makes my head swim. NO! I mean literally, the G's are so heavy it makes my head swim and the tires don't even chirp. It isn't like me to to impulse buy, but man this thing is fun. No buyers remorse so I guess it was meant to be.

Flame away.

I love you man !!!
:) :) :)

In all seriousness, thanks for the post.
Very, very cool.
Have a little fun.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I never bought new; too much asset loss right off the salesman's lot. I hope you enjoy it.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Not an STI, base model wrx. Having done some reading the base is quicker to launch because it’s lighter and quicker to get boost. The STI gets me in the quarter though. Manual six speed. I’ve read the five speeds are made of Swiss cheese.

Got all three home because he had to go back the next day to have a block heater installed.

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Very nice, i have been looking for low mileage unmolested mid 2000 WRX’s which is very hard to find since 99 percent of owners modified them and racked up the miles. Future collectable.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Now you are pissing me off EOA.

I've always wanted a Forrester, but in South Effrica the gov taxes Scoobies at 80% because they are imported buildt-up and not assembled locally.

Locally a Scoobie costs almost twice the USA price and I bought a
Toyota Prado for way less at the same second-hand mileage.

The Prado is OK but big and not as small and nimble.

It just irks me having to give the ANC all that tax, which they have done FA for.

Enjoy your spurious purchase. You could have done a lot worse and not much better. (Says Uncle being green from ear to ear).

Enjoy it but do take care.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Last edited:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It's hard to not rape the thing, It just begs to be treated badly.

I think it might be hard to find one that's "unmolested". The manual say the first thousand miles are the break-in period and not to run it above 4000 RPM... It's nearly impossible to keep myself under the 4000 mark.

I would initially check the oil every week at a minimum when driving your turbocharged Subaru easy, and daily when driven hard.

When I bought my 2005 Subaru Forester XT (EJ255 2.5L Turbo) it had 39,000 miles on it. I checked the oil level regularly for the first 2,000 easy miles and the oil level on the dipstick barely moved.

Fortunately, I checked the oil level after driving around 500 (maybe less) hard but fun miles. To my shock, the oil level was at the low mark on the dipstick. If I had driven the car hard much further I probably would have blown the motor.

Tip - I have found that filling the crankcase to the third mark (the notch in the picture) for some reason will burn/lose oil slower than if I fill to the full mark. Once the level reaches the full mark the faster it disappears.

In 2005 Subaru considered a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. What is acceptable today I don’t know. My Forester now has over 315,000 miles and currently likes oil at a rate of around 1 quart every 2,000 - 2,500 miles, but Katy bar the door if I drive it hard. I always have a 5 qt jug of oil in the car. LOL

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
In 2005 Subaru considered a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. What is acceptable today I don’t know.
It's all about increased fuel efficiency.
...but the mfgs like to bs around the reasons why.

The Truth About Engine Oil Consumption in a Modern Car | Auto Expert John Cadogan

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Flame away.
Like my dearly departed Dicky would say, "F#CK IT!"

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It's all about increased fuel efficiency.

Intake and exhaust for an ultra efficient burn.

A buddy of mine has an old book with a giant carborator with dozens and dozens of cylinders that preheat and premix the gas and air and perform some magic sauce from the books claims and my friends understanding.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
So slightly overfill? Are you having any seal issues?
oil fill.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Some of the older Foresters had an issue with the head gasket material.

Will see if I can find it again.

Golden Regards
Uncle

View attachment 107186
Never any seal leaks. I have been (over)filling to the notch for eleven years per the suggestion of a Subaru mechanic. I was concerned about excessive oil usage shortly after buying the car and the dealer put my car on an oil consumption study this was when the suggestion was made.

The 2005 forester manual says the following:
Just after driving or while the engine is warm, the engine
oil level reading may be in a range between the
upper level and the notch mark. This is caused by thermal
expansion of the engine oil.
To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not add any
additional oil above the upper level when the engine is
cold.

I use Mobil 1 so maybe that’s the reason it hasn’t been a problem. I have never seen the oil level above the notch when checking the oil when the engine is hot. Maybe (over)filling to the notch with Mobil 1 has not been a problem because it expands less than conventional oil. I don’t know, as I failed to answer the Mobil 1 expansion question.

Years ago, I did need to drain some oil when I accidentally overfilled (way above the line) but it was obvious I had to as I had an obvious power loss.

My experience has been that oil consumption slows when overfilling to the notch. Your experience may differ.

Last edited:
Some of the older Foresters had an issue with the head gasket material.

Will see if I can find it again.

Golden Regards
Uncle
Yes you are correct Uncle. However the issue did not extend to the early Forester XT models as much better head gaskets were used. Edit - Subaru used better head gaskets on all their Turbocharged motors.

Last edited:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Supposedly the head gasket issue should be resolved in the newer cars.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
I’ve read the five speeds are made of Swiss cheese.
The 5MT is agricultural,you need to run the right lube cocktail to get good shifts. The syncros went in the higher gears in mine (unexpected!) and the center diff won't handle much mistreatment. Keep your rubber consistent and watch your tyre pressures if the centre diff is the same arrangement.

That would be my 2c.

Hopefully they learned and the new box is much better.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
View attachment 107186
FB motor? In the old motor the dip stick curved around a bit flat. The read on the real oil level sucked, they had to be flat and cold to be anywhere near accurate. It would read differently on either side of the stick from the same dip! Hopefully its improved, I think it was resolved by 2013.

Last edited:

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So when did Subarus morph from being the 'Coexist' bumperstickered ride of choice for latte sipping, leftwing lunatics to more sensible, utilitarian transport. I seem to have missed the transition.

I even noted one locally the other day with an NRA sticker on the window. Had to do a double take but dismissed it as having just been mischievously 'tagged'. Maybe it's just a local thing.

Et tu EOA? Crockett?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
^^^
My other car is a gas guzzling truck. I know what you mean though. The brand seems to attract wannabe hippy yuppies. I’ll drive the wheels off both vehicles but the truck is getting long in the tooth and it was my only means of transport. At one point I was thinking a UTV would be the ticket to a second vehicle, we can plate them here. The WRX has a history of exciting drivers and because it’s a four door the insurance isn’t too stupid on them.

Driving is believing. I’m scheduled to ride a plane back east to my parents at the end of August. Now it’s the same price to drive, avoid the airport hassle and take the time to look at stuff on the way.

Hey Zed, up here we spell it tire.

Last edited:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The one thing I find to be ugly about the car is the clutch. It's just lifeless and has no feel when it engages from a stop. Yes of course you can feel the car pick up and move but there is nothing of note in your left foot. I'm sure I'll become used to it at some point but as of now I'm not a fan.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
So when did Subarus morph from being the 'Coexist' bumperstickered ride of choice for latte sipping, leftwing lunatics to more sensible, utilitarian transport. I seem to have missed the transition.

I even noted one locally the other day with an NRA sticker on the window. Had to do a double take but dismissed it as having just been mischievously 'tagged'. Maybe it's just a local thing.

Et tu EOA? Crockett?
I still call 'em Lesbaru's.
They are solid vehicles though I wouldn't argue that.
Problem in my AO is nobody will work on one except the lesbaru dealer. And there ain't any around here!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

Flame away.
Congrats on the hot car, enjoy yourself!

:2 thumbs up:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Let me tell you a little story about "horsepressures". Back in the day we were taking stock 5hp briggs motors, cutting them 40 over and installing 30 over pistons with 40 over top ring and 030 over second and oil rings. Friction costs horsepressures.

Burn oil? We fogged for mosquitoes like a 2 stroke. On the dyno it was 12hp at 5800. Good for about 20 laps

You could hardly get the thing started but once she warmed up the lady would fly. My brosef's daughter went 56 races in a row won with those motors.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
The one thing I find to be ugly about the car is the clutch. It's just lifeless and has no feel when it engages from a stop. Yes of course you can feel the car pick up and move but there is nothing of note in your left foot. I'm sure I'll become used to it at some point but as of now I'm not a fan.
Your clutch will probably break in to the way you like to drive it. I drive a 2013 Focus hatchback with a 5 speed. Manual cars are hard to find I had to order it.
I didn't like the clutch for the first 30 or so thousand miles, I thought it was mushy and then jumpy. But now it's perfect.

Et tu EOA? Crockett?
Et tu EOA? Crockett? What does this mean and should I be offended?

The only sticker still on my car says Ron Paul. When I was a young lad I used to put NRA Life stickers on my vehicles. The reason I don’t today is simply because I have a lot more to lose by advertising that I am a gun owner.

I still call 'em Lesbaru's.
Lesbaru’s? I love woman, fishing, hunting, guns, hunting dogs - now I am offended. LOL

Gotta go - changing the transmission fluid and both differential oils today.

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I would bleed the system again blocking the slave cylinder in my experience it has made the pedal feel less wimpy yes even on new cars. Video below

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Hey Zed, up here we spell it tire.
LOL, no, only in the US. I'm English mate!

Seriously, if you get stability control kicking in unexpectedly in corners a likely reason is one tyre is low. Too much of that and it will set you back 1 to 2K getting a new centre diff fitted.

Clutch on the Forester was fine, the feel was good. I know that the older Subies had a pathetic feel to all the pedals, in the early 80's they where a dreadful drive in that respect. I think it stems from the JDM market desiring a light pedal for Japanese women. It's a Rex so there will be some after market solution for most any issue you run into. That is the beauty of having a cult car the mods you can get are cool.

Have fun.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Let me tell you a little story about "horsepressures". Back in the day we were taking stock 5hp briggs motors, cutting them 40 over and installing 30 over pistons with 40 over top ring and 030 over second and oil rings. Friction costs horsepressures.

Burn oil? We fogged for mosquitoes like a 2 stroke. On the dyno it was 12hp at 5800. Good for about 20 laps

You could hardly get the thing started but once she warmed up the lady would fly. My brosef's daughter went 56 races in a row won with those motors.
Seems to be the way with most modern engines, more efficient on fuel but worse on oil.

Trigger Warning LOL ---> Trump hater.